|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Denver bring to Mr. Ballantine in the hospital?
2. Why was Ron aggravated at Denver for sleeping all day after Deborah's surgery?
3. When Scott disliked the idea of bringing cigarettes to Mr. Ballantine in the hospital, how did Denver respond?
4. What was the turning point in the relationship between Denver, Deborah and Ron?
5. Why did Ron tell Denver that he did not feel right about having a building named after Deborah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 2
Ron grew up in a lower-middle class home and spent his summers with his grandfather, a farmer and landowner.
Part 1. Describe Ron's parents. Do you think Ron was well-cared for as a child?
Part 2. Explain why or not Ron's grandfather was the Man. Did he treat his white and colored workers differently?
Part 3. Consider how Ron felt about the poor and homeless when he grew up. Find two reasons from Ron's childhood that might explain why Ron felt this way as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of the book, Denver and Ron bonded together in many ways.
Part 1. Describe their trip to Red River Parish and how Ron reacted to seeing the way Denver grew up.
Part 2. Explain where Ron went to live at the end of the story and how he brought Denver with him.
Part 3. Did Denver truly become the poor man who saved the city with his wisdom, as Deborah predicted? In what ways did he fulfill her prophecy? Explain and describe.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)