|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Denver feel about sleeping in a room in Ron's house?
2. What did Deborah do, despite the doctor's opinion?
3. After returning from Colorado, why did Denver not want to accept money from Ron?
4. Though Deborah had not spoken in five days, what did she suddenly cry out to Ron?
5. At the dedication of the new cemetery, what was visible as far as the eye could see when fifty friends and family gathered in Deborah's memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deborah worked at the mission because she felt that God wanted her there, but Ron had different reasons.
Part 1. Explain the circumstances in the lives of Deborah and Ron led Ron to come work at the mission.
Part 2. Why did Ron decide to join Deborah in her volunteer work? Explain.
Part 3. Describe how and why the friendship between Denver and Ron began soon after Ron started to volunteer at the mission. Who encouraged this friendship?
Essay Topic 2
When Denver was 15, he was nearly dragged to death by three white boys on horseback who accused him of harassing a woman Denver was only trying to help. Describe the incident from the perspective of Denver, the white woman he was assisting and Bobby's aunt, who saved Denver's life.
Essay Topic 3
When he was in second grade, Ron faced a humiliating punishment for an honest mistake at the hands of his teacher, Miss Poe.
Part 1. Explain Ron's honest mistake and his teacher's reaction.
Part 2. Describe the punishment Ron was forced to endure.
Part 3. This event caused Ron to feel shameful and humiliated 26 years later. Explain why you think Ron felt this way.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)