|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ron decide to volunteer his time to help the needy?
2. What grade was Ron in when he faced his teacher's cruel punishment?
3. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
4. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
5. Before the boys who nearly killed Denver spotted him near the vehicle, what did they ask the white woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Denver went about keeping an all-night prayer vigil for Deborah and tell how Ron reacted to the news that Denver was sleeping during the following day.
2. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
3. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
4. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
5. Describe Ron's and Deborah's 31st wedding anniversary when Deborah was dying of cancer.
6. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
7. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
8. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
9. Explain how Ron and Denver became friends.
10. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deborah Hall began to volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission because she felt God's calling to do so. What differences in the lives of the needy did Deborah make and what specific new events did Deborah bring into their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 3
When Denver was a boy, a fire broke out that killed Big Mama and Cousin Chook. Shortly thereafter, Denver's father, BB, was stabbed to death, and Uncle James died a short time later.
Part 1. Explain how so much loss at a young age impacted Denver as a grown man. What fears and insecurities did he have as a result?
Part 2. How do you think Denver's life might have been different if Big Mama had survived the fire?
Part 3. Deborah's death was especially hard on Denver. What did Denver wonder about God when Deborah was taken away from him?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)