Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affliction affected Ron's father when Ron was a child?
2. How old was Denver when he was nearly killed by a group of white boys?
3. Who were Don Shisler and Pam?
4. What name did Deborah and Ron mistakenly call Denver?
5. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
2. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
3. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
4. Explain how Ron and Denver became friends.
5. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
6. In what ways did Ron's grandfather, a blackland farm owner, treat his black and white employees differently?
7. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
8. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
9. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
10. After Ron and Denver became friends, Denver shared a fear about Deborah with Ron. What was his fear?
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)