|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ron's upscale art gallery in Fort Worth not post the prices of the paintings they had for sale?
2. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
3. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
4. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
5. Why did Ron dress differently than the other students when he was college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
2. Explain why Denver's trip with Ron to the annual Cowboy Spring Gathering was a turning point in Denver's life in which he overcame a life-long fear.
3. When Ron and Denver traveled to Red River Parish and Denver asked Ron to drive to the plantation where Denver used to live, how did Ron react to seeing Denver's 2-room shack, and how did Denver feel about seeing it again?
4. Describe two major events for Ron and Denver that took place after Deborah's death.
5. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
6. Explain how Denver went about keeping an all-night prayer vigil for Deborah and tell how Ron reacted to the news that Denver was sleeping during the following day.
7. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
8. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
9. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
10. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
Essay Topic 2
When Denver was 15, he was nearly dragged to death by three white boys on horseback who accused him of harassing a woman Denver was only trying to help. Describe the incident from the perspective of Denver, the white woman he was assisting and Bobby's aunt, who saved Denver's life.
Essay Topic 3
At age 18, Denver worked for the Man, but surveyed his lifestyle and decided he lived "high on the hog."
Part 1. Explain what "high on the hog" means and give an example.
Part 2. Explain what Denver had. Did he actually own these things?
Part 3. If Denver was living "high on the hog," why do you think he eventually escaped on the freight train?
This section contains 2,351 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)