|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
2. The boy who roped Denver and nearly killed him claimed he was teaching Denver a lesson about what?
3. What was the name of Denver's father?
4. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
5. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did members of Deborah's immediate family react to her impending cancer surgery and what did they do to prepare?
2. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
3. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
4. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
5. Explain the circumstances that lead to the death of Big Mama and Cousin Chook when Denver was a boy.
6. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
7. How did Denver learn of Deborah's illness?
8. When Ron and Denver traveled to Red River Parish and Denver asked Ron to drive to the plantation where Denver used to live, how did Ron react to seeing Denver's 2-room shack, and how did Denver feel about seeing it again?
9. In the final chapters of the book, explain the relationship that had developed between Ron and Denver.
10. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
Essay Topic 2
Deborah worked at the mission because she felt that God wanted her there, but Ron had different reasons.
Part 1. Explain the circumstances in the lives of Deborah and Ron led Ron to come work at the mission.
Part 2. Why did Ron decide to join Deborah in her volunteer work? Explain.
Part 3. Describe how and why the friendship between Denver and Ron began soon after Ron started to volunteer at the mission. Who encouraged this friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)