|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Big Mama and PawPaw raise as their own?
2. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
3. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
4. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
5. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
2. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
3. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
4. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
5. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
6. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
7. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
8. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
9. Describe how Ron felt about urban development as he flew over the city in Chapter 2: Ron, and saw the groundwork for new buildings that would force the homeless to be relocated.
10. Explain why Denver's trip with Ron to the annual Cowboy Spring Gathering was a turning point in Denver's life in which he overcame a life-long fear.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
Essay Topic 2
Deborah worked at the mission because she felt that God wanted her there, but Ron had different reasons.
Part 1. Explain the circumstances in the lives of Deborah and Ron led Ron to come work at the mission.
Part 2. Why did Ron decide to join Deborah in her volunteer work? Explain.
Part 3. Describe how and why the friendship between Denver and Ron began soon after Ron started to volunteer at the mission. Who encouraged this friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)