|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
2. What name did Deborah and Ron mistakenly call Denver?
3. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
4. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
5. How old was Denver when he was nearly killed by a group of white boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
2. Explain how Ron and Denver became friends.
3. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
4. After Ron and Denver became friends, Denver shared a fear about Deborah with Ron. What was his fear?
5. In the conclusion of the story, what did Denver tell Ron about being homeless?
6. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
7. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
8. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
9. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
10. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Denver was 15, he was nearly dragged to death by three white boys on horseback who accused him of harassing a woman Denver was only trying to help. Describe the incident from the perspective of Denver, the white woman he was assisting and Bobby's aunt, who saved Denver's life.
Essay Topic 2
Sharecropping has been called a modern form of slavery. It was all Denver knew for the first thirty years of his life.
Part 1. Explain how sharecropping works.
Part 2. Describe the life of the sharecropper who harvests the land.
Part 3. Explain who the Man is.
Essay Topic 3
When Denver first arrived at the mission, he kept to himself and was considered a loner. Still, Deborah Hall sought him out.
Part 1. Describe how Deborah first approached Denver and how Denver felt about her.
Part 2. Explain the dream Deborah had and why she thought Denver might be the man from her dream.
Part 3. Explain how Deborah's influence led Denver to become more active in the mission. In what types of activities did Denver become involved?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)