|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
2. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
3. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
4. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
5. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
2. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
3. Describe Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square and explain why his gallery did not post prices on their artwork for sale.
4. Denver worried about disappointing Ron regarding the Colorado trip. How did Denver prove himself trustworthy during the trip?
5. Explain why Denver's trip with Ron to the annual Cowboy Spring Gathering was a turning point in Denver's life in which he overcame a life-long fear.
6. While Deborah was in the final days of her life and in terrible pain, what message from God did Denver deliver to Ron?
7. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
8. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
9. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
10. Describe how Ron felt about urban development as he flew over the city in Chapter 2: Ron, and saw the groundwork for new buildings that would force the homeless to be relocated.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Deborah and Denver had a premonition about the other. What was Deborah's premonition about Denver that she experienced in a dream? What was Denver's premonition about Deborah before she became ill? Did either of their premonitions come true?
Essay Topic 2
When Denver was a boy, a fire broke out that killed Big Mama and Cousin Chook. Shortly thereafter, Denver's father, BB, was stabbed to death, and Uncle James died a short time later.
Part 1. Explain how so much loss at a young age impacted Denver as a grown man. What fears and insecurities did he have as a result?
Part 2. How do you think Denver's life might have been different if Big Mama had survived the fire?
Part 3. Deborah's death was especially hard on Denver. What did Denver wonder about God when Deborah was taken away from him?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
This section contains 2,323 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)