|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
2. What valuable objects were in Ron's possession on the private jet?
3. Which group of people was responsible for the city changes Ron saw from the private jet?
4. What does "the Man" mean?
5. What thoughts about the homeless did Ron have as he flew in a private jet over Fort Worth and looked down on the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
2. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
3. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
4. Describe two major events for Ron and Denver that took place after Deborah's death.
5. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
6. Why did Denver hop on a freight train and flee the plantation?
7. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
8. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
9. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
10. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Deborah was terminally ill with cancer and was brought home to die, there were many painful moments for the loved ones who surrounded her.
Part 1. Explain the message from God pertaining to Deborah that Denver delivered to Ron. Why did Denver believe that Deborah could not die? How did he believe he could help?
Part 2. Describe the state of Ron and Deborah's marriage when they woke up together on the morning of their 31st wedding anniversary. Had the damage been repaired? Did Ron stand by her during her illness?
Part 3. What comforting words did Denver speak to Deborah on her deathbed? Explain why Deborah might have felt she could go in peace after hearing them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 3
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)