|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
2. How did Denver's father die?
3. From where was Denver returning when he spotted the white woman with car trouble on the side of the road?
4. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
5. What does "the Man" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Normally soft-spoken, explain how Denver defied his usual custom of keeping to himself at the memorial service for Deborah that was attended by a thousand people.
2. Describe Deborah's first impression of Denver.
3. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
4. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
5. Explain what Ron learned about Deborah's health during a phone call he received while having lunch with his daughter, Regan.
6. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
7. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
8. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
9. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
10. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
Essay Topic 2
When Deborah was terminally ill with cancer and was brought home to die, there were many painful moments for the loved ones who surrounded her.
Part 1. Explain the message from God pertaining to Deborah that Denver delivered to Ron. Why did Denver believe that Deborah could not die? How did he believe he could help?
Part 2. Describe the state of Ron and Deborah's marriage when they woke up together on the morning of their 31st wedding anniversary. Had the damage been repaired? Did Ron stand by her during her illness?
Part 3. What comforting words did Denver speak to Deborah on her deathbed? Explain why Deborah might have felt she could go in peace after hearing them.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)