|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
2. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
3. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
4. Which group of people was responsible for the city changes Ron saw from the private jet?
5. What were the names of Ron's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
2. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
3. At one time in each of their lives, both Ron and Denver considered themselves to be living "high on the hog," or living a very comfortable life, though their circumstances were vastly different. How were their "high on the hog" lifestyles different?
4. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
5. Describe how Ron felt about urban development as he flew over the city in Chapter 2: Ron, and saw the groundwork for new buildings that would force the homeless to be relocated.
6. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
7. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
8. Describe Ron's and Deborah's 31st wedding anniversary when Deborah was dying of cancer.
9. Why did Denver hop on a freight train and flee the plantation?
10. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Ron and Denver. Find two similarities and two differences. Do you think they would have been friends as children, had they met at a young age?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 3
Deborah Hall began to volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission because she felt God's calling to do so. What differences in the lives of the needy did Deborah make and what specific new events did Deborah bring into their lives?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)