|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
2. Why did Ron decide to volunteer his time to help the needy?
3. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
4. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
5. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Denver overcame his criminal record, lack of a driver license and inability to read to be able to take the trip to Colorado.
2. Explain the chain of events in Chapter 2: Ron that begin with Ron boarding a private jet and end with Ron attending a luncheon in his honor.
3. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
4. Explain the circumstances that lead to the death of Big Mama and Cousin Chook when Denver was a boy.
5. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
6. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
7. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
8. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
9. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
10. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Deborah was terminally ill with cancer and was brought home to die, there were many painful moments for the loved ones who surrounded her.
Part 1. Explain the message from God pertaining to Deborah that Denver delivered to Ron. Why did Denver believe that Deborah could not die? How did he believe he could help?
Part 2. Describe the state of Ron and Deborah's marriage when they woke up together on the morning of their 31st wedding anniversary. Had the damage been repaired? Did Ron stand by her during her illness?
Part 3. What comforting words did Denver speak to Deborah on her deathbed? Explain why Deborah might have felt she could go in peace after hearing them.
Essay Topic 2
Ron grew up in a lower-middle class home and spent his summers with his grandfather, a farmer and landowner.
Part 1. Describe Ron's parents. Do you think Ron was well-cared for as a child?
Part 2. Explain why or not Ron's grandfather was the Man. Did he treat his white and colored workers differently?
Part 3. Consider how Ron felt about the poor and homeless when he grew up. Find two reasons from Ron's childhood that might explain why Ron felt this way as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)