|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
2. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
3. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
4. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
5. What family pet woke Li'l Buddy one night and alerted him to danger in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. At one time in each of their lives, both Ron and Denver considered themselves to be living "high on the hog," or living a very comfortable life, though their circumstances were vastly different. How were their "high on the hog" lifestyles different?
2. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
3. Describe Ron's and Deborah's 31st wedding anniversary when Deborah was dying of cancer.
4. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
5. Explain how Denver overcame his criminal record, lack of a driver license and inability to read to be able to take the trip to Colorado.
6. Explain the chain of events in Chapter 2: Ron that begin with Ron boarding a private jet and end with Ron attending a luncheon in his honor.
7. What new mission did Denver feel called to pursue as Deborah lay dying?
8. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
9. What happened to Ron's art gallery in Chapter 2: Ron that confirmed his negative attitude toward the homeless?
10. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of the book, Denver and Ron bonded together in many ways.
Part 1. Describe their trip to Red River Parish and how Ron reacted to seeing the way Denver grew up.
Part 2. Explain where Ron went to live at the end of the story and how he brought Denver with him.
Part 3. Did Denver truly become the poor man who saved the city with his wisdom, as Deborah predicted? In what ways did he fulfill her prophecy? Explain and describe.
Essay Topic 2
Deborah worked at the mission because she felt that God wanted her there, but Ron had different reasons.
Part 1. Explain the circumstances in the lives of Deborah and Ron led Ron to come work at the mission.
Part 2. Why did Ron decide to join Deborah in her volunteer work? Explain.
Part 3. Describe how and why the friendship between Denver and Ron began soon after Ron started to volunteer at the mission. Who encouraged this friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Ron and Denver. Find two similarities and two differences. Do you think they would have been friends as children, had they met at a young age?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)