|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
2. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
3. What thoughts about the homeless did Ron have as he flew in a private jet over Fort Worth and looked down on the city?
4. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
5. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
2. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
3. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
4. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
5. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
6. Explain how Denver went about keeping an all-night prayer vigil for Deborah and tell how Ron reacted to the news that Denver was sleeping during the following day.
7. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
8. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
9. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
10. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
Essay Topic 3
Ron grew up in a lower-middle class home and spent his summers with his grandfather, a farmer and landowner.
Part 1. Describe Ron's parents. Do you think Ron was well-cared for as a child?
Part 2. Explain why or not Ron's grandfather was the Man. Did he treat his white and colored workers differently?
Part 3. Consider how Ron felt about the poor and homeless when he grew up. Find two reasons from Ron's childhood that might explain why Ron felt this way as an adult.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)