|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the facility where Ron and his wife volunteered their time?
2. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
3. What did Deborah tell Ron she saw in a dream?
4. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
5. To what danger did the family pet alert Li'l Buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
2. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
3. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
4. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
5. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
6. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
7. Normally soft-spoken, explain how Denver defied his usual custom of keeping to himself at the memorial service for Deborah that was attended by a thousand people.
8. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
9. What new mission did Denver feel called to pursue as Deborah lay dying?
10. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 2
When Ron and Deborah asked Denver to make the drive to Colorado to deliver Regan's belongings, it was a turning point in their relationship with Denver.
Part 1. What obstacles had to be overcome in order for Denver to attain a valid driver license? How did Ron help Denver accomplish this?
Part 2. With what valuable items was Denver entrusted by Ron for the trip?
Part 3. Explain Ron's worries about sending Denver on the trip. Did his worries come true?
Essay Topic 3
Before Ron's life was changed by Denver and others at the Union Gospel Mission, Ron had certain feelings about the poor and the homeless.
Part 1. Describe how Ron felt about the poor, homeless and needy before he began volunteering at the mission and met Denver.
Part 2. What happened to Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square to validate his feelings about the homeless?
Part 3. Explain how meeting Denver changed Ron's attitude toward the homeless.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)