|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
2. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
3. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
4. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
5. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
2. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
3. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
4. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
5. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
6. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
7. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
8. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
9. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
10. In the conclusion of the story, what did Denver tell Ron about being homeless?
Essay Topic 1
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
Essay Topic 3
Deborah worked at the mission because she felt that God wanted her there, but Ron had different reasons.
Part 1. Explain the circumstances in the lives of Deborah and Ron led Ron to come work at the mission.
Part 2. Why did Ron decide to join Deborah in her volunteer work? Explain.
Part 3. Describe how and why the friendship between Denver and Ron began soon after Ron started to volunteer at the mission. Who encouraged this friendship?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)