|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
2. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
3. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
4. Where did Deborah first meet Denver?
5. What valuable objects were in Ron's possession on the private jet?
Short Essay Questions
1. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
2. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
3. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
4. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
5. Denver worried about disappointing Ron regarding the Colorado trip. How did Denver prove himself trustworthy during the trip?
6. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
7. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
8. When Ron and Denver traveled to Red River Parish and Denver asked Ron to drive to the plantation where Denver used to live, how did Ron react to seeing Denver's 2-room shack, and how did Denver feel about seeing it again?
9. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
10. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
Essay Topic 2
When Denver was 15, he was nearly dragged to death by three white boys on horseback who accused him of harassing a woman Denver was only trying to help. Describe the incident from the perspective of Denver, the white woman he was assisting and Bobby's aunt, who saved Denver's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Denver met Mr. Ballantine and how Mr. Ballantine treated Denver when they first met. What happened to Mr. Ballantine to put him into a public nursing home, and how did Denver continue to look after him while he was there? What reason did Denver have for treating this man so kindly?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)