|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Big Mama and PawPaw raise as their own?
2. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
3. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
4. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
5. Why did Denver fear that something bad would happen to Deborah?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
2. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
3. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
4. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
5. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
6. Explain the chain of events in Chapter 2: Ron that begin with Ron boarding a private jet and end with Ron attending a luncheon in his honor.
7. In what ways did Ron's grandfather, a blackland farm owner, treat his black and white employees differently?
8. Why did Denver hop on a freight train and flee the plantation?
9. Explain how Denver overcame his criminal record, lack of a driver license and inability to read to be able to take the trip to Colorado.
10. What did Denver think of Deborah Hall the first time he met her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of the book, Denver and Ron bonded together in many ways.
Part 1. Describe their trip to Red River Parish and how Ron reacted to seeing the way Denver grew up.
Part 2. Explain where Ron went to live at the end of the story and how he brought Denver with him.
Part 3. Did Denver truly become the poor man who saved the city with his wisdom, as Deborah predicted? In what ways did he fulfill her prophecy? Explain and describe.
Essay Topic 2
When Denver was a boy, a fire broke out that killed Big Mama and Cousin Chook. Shortly thereafter, Denver's father, BB, was stabbed to death, and Uncle James died a short time later.
Part 1. Explain how so much loss at a young age impacted Denver as a grown man. What fears and insecurities did he have as a result?
Part 2. How do you think Denver's life might have been different if Big Mama had survived the fire?
Part 3. Deborah's death was especially hard on Denver. What did Denver wonder about God when Deborah was taken away from him?
Essay Topic 3
Deborah Hall began to volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission because she felt God's calling to do so. What differences in the lives of the needy did Deborah make and what specific new events did Deborah bring into their lives?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)