|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
2. What grade was Ron in when he faced his teacher's cruel punishment?
3. During his time working as a sharecropper picking cotton, what did Denver receive instead of a paycheck?
4. What punishment did Ron's teacher inflict on him for his honest mistake in second grade?
5. To what danger did the family pet alert Li'l Buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
2. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
3. Describe Deborah's first impression of Denver.
4. In what ways did Ron's grandfather, a blackland farm owner, treat his black and white employees differently?
5. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
6. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
7. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
8. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
9. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
10. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
Essay Topic 2
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of the book, Denver and Ron bonded together in many ways.
Part 1. Describe their trip to Red River Parish and how Ron reacted to seeing the way Denver grew up.
Part 2. Explain where Ron went to live at the end of the story and how he brought Denver with him.
Part 3. Did Denver truly become the poor man who saved the city with his wisdom, as Deborah predicted? In what ways did he fulfill her prophecy? Explain and describe.
This section contains 2,207 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)