|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
2. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
3. Before the boys who nearly killed Denver spotted him near the vehicle, what did they ask the white woman?
4. Why did Ron dress differently than the other students when he was college?
5. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
2. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
3. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
4. While Deborah was in the final days of her life and in terrible pain, what message from God did Denver deliver to Ron?
5. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
6. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
7. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
8. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
9. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
10. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ron and Deborah asked Denver to make the drive to Colorado to deliver Regan's belongings, it was a turning point in their relationship with Denver.
Part 1. What obstacles had to be overcome in order for Denver to attain a valid driver license? How did Ron help Denver accomplish this?
Part 2. With what valuable items was Denver entrusted by Ron for the trip?
Part 3. Explain Ron's worries about sending Denver on the trip. Did his worries come true?
Essay Topic 2
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
This section contains 2,228 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)