|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "the Man" mean?
2. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
3. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
4. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
5. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
2. Describe Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square and explain why his gallery did not post prices on their artwork for sale.
3. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
4. Explain the chain of events in Chapter 2: Ron that begin with Ron boarding a private jet and end with Ron attending a luncheon in his honor.
5. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
6. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
7. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
8. In the final chapters of the book, explain the relationship that had developed between Ron and Denver.
9. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
10. Explain why Denver's trip with Ron to the annual Cowboy Spring Gathering was a turning point in Denver's life in which he overcame a life-long fear.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Deborah was terminally ill with cancer and was brought home to die, there were many painful moments for the loved ones who surrounded her.
Part 1. Explain the message from God pertaining to Deborah that Denver delivered to Ron. Why did Denver believe that Deborah could not die? How did he believe he could help?
Part 2. Describe the state of Ron and Deborah's marriage when they woke up together on the morning of their 31st wedding anniversary. Had the damage been repaired? Did Ron stand by her during her illness?
Part 3. What comforting words did Denver speak to Deborah on her deathbed? Explain why Deborah might have felt she could go in peace after hearing them.
Essay Topic 2
When he was in second grade, Ron faced a humiliating punishment for an honest mistake at the hands of his teacher, Miss Poe.
Part 1. Explain Ron's honest mistake and his teacher's reaction.
Part 2. Describe the punishment Ron was forced to endure.
Part 3. This event caused Ron to feel shameful and humiliated 26 years later. Explain why you think Ron felt this way.
Essay Topic 3
Both Ron and Denver must overcome issues and preconceived notions about certain kinds of people in order for their friendship to begin and to thrive as it does.
Part 1. Explain the ideas that Ron had about homeless people and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 2. Explain Denver's ideas about white men and give an example of why he might have felt this way.
Part 3. Describe how Denver and Ron developed a mutual trust and respect for each other that changed how they each felt about white men and colored men.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)