|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
2. In which state is the plantation that Denver worked as a teenager?
3. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
4. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
5. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
2. Describe how Ron felt about urban development as he flew over the city in Chapter 2: Ron, and saw the groundwork for new buildings that would force the homeless to be relocated.
3. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
4. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
5. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
6. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
7. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
8. In what ways did Ron's grandfather, a blackland farm owner, treat his black and white employees differently?
9. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
10. When Ron and Denver traveled to Red River Parish and Denver asked Ron to drive to the plantation where Denver used to live, how did Ron react to seeing Denver's 2-room shack, and how did Denver feel about seeing it again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 2
After Denver escaped the plantation on a freight train, he wandered for several years before ending up homeless on the streets of Fort Worth and eventually arriving at the Union Gospel Mission.
Part 1. Explain the "hobo code of honor" and how Denver ended up with a car because of it. For what purpose did Denver use the car?
Part 2. Under what conditions did Denver finally accept a bed at the mission?
Part 3. Explain what and where The Lot was. What did the mission volunteers do there?
Essay Topic 3
When Deborah was terminally ill with cancer and was brought home to die, there were many painful moments for the loved ones who surrounded her.
Part 1. Explain the message from God pertaining to Deborah that Denver delivered to Ron. Why did Denver believe that Deborah could not die? How did he believe he could help?
Part 2. Describe the state of Ron and Deborah's marriage when they woke up together on the morning of their 31st wedding anniversary. Had the damage been repaired? Did Ron stand by her during her illness?
Part 3. What comforting words did Denver speak to Deborah on her deathbed? Explain why Deborah might have felt she could go in peace after hearing them.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)