Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
2. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
3. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
4. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
5. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
2. Describe how Ron felt when he looks back on Miss Poe's punishment 26 years earlier?
3. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
4. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
5. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
6. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
7. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
8. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
9. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
10. In the conclusion of the story, what did Denver tell Ron about being homeless?
Essay Topic 1
When Ron and Deborah asked Denver to make the drive to Colorado to deliver Regan's belongings, it was a turning point in their relationship with Denver.
Part 1. What obstacles had to be overcome in order for Denver to attain a valid driver license? How did Ron help Denver accomplish this?
Part 2. With what valuable items was Denver entrusted by Ron for the trip?
Part 3. Explain Ron's worries about sending Denver on the trip. Did his worries come true?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Ron and Denver. Find two similarities and two differences. Do you think they would have been friends as children, had they met at a young age?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)