|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
2. Why did Ron dress differently than the other students when he was college?
3. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
4. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
5. To what danger did the family pet alert Li'l Buddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new mission did Denver feel called to pursue as Deborah lay dying?
2. Describe two major events for Ron and Denver that took place after Deborah's death.
3. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
4. How did people at the mission band together to help Deborah after her cancer surgery?
5. Describe Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square and explain why his gallery did not post prices on their artwork for sale.
6. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
7. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
8. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
9. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
10. Denver worried about disappointing Ron regarding the Colorado trip. How did Denver prove himself trustworthy during the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When he was in second grade, Ron faced a humiliating punishment for an honest mistake at the hands of his teacher, Miss Poe.
Part 1. Explain Ron's honest mistake and his teacher's reaction.
Part 2. Describe the punishment Ron was forced to endure.
Part 3. This event caused Ron to feel shameful and humiliated 26 years later. Explain why you think Ron felt this way.
Essay Topic 2
Ron grew up in a lower-middle class home and spent his summers with his grandfather, a farmer and landowner.
Part 1. Describe Ron's parents. Do you think Ron was well-cared for as a child?
Part 2. Explain why or not Ron's grandfather was the Man. Did he treat his white and colored workers differently?
Part 3. Consider how Ron felt about the poor and homeless when he grew up. Find two reasons from Ron's childhood that might explain why Ron felt this way as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Deborah Hall began to volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission because she felt God's calling to do so. What differences in the lives of the needy did Deborah make and what specific new events did Deborah bring into their lives?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)