|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
2. According to the account of Denver's life on the cotton fields in Chapter 1: Denver, what things could Denver claim he actually owned on the plantation?
3. What type of hardwood trees surrounded the Red River Parish plantation of Denver's youth?
4. Who helped Deborah plan special events for the needy?
5. What did Deborah insist would repair her marriage after Ron had an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Denver went about keeping an all-night prayer vigil for Deborah and tell how Ron reacted to the news that Denver was sleeping during the following day.
2. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
3. How did Denver learn of Deborah's illness?
4. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
5. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
6. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
7. What chain of events in Fort Worth lead Denver to come stay at the Union Gospel Mission?
8. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
9. At one time in each of their lives, both Ron and Denver considered themselves to be living "high on the hog," or living a very comfortable life, though their circumstances were vastly different. How were their "high on the hog" lifestyles different?
10. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe the circumstances under which Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot. Where was he? What was he doing? How did he hear the news?
Essay Topic 2Sharecropping has been called a modern form of slavery. It was all Denver knew for the first thirty years of his life. Part 1. Explain how sharecropping works. Part 2. Describe the life of the sharecropper who harvests the land. Part 3. Explain who the Man is.
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast the childhoods of Ron and Denver. Find two similarities and two differences. Do you think they would have been friends as children, had they met at a young age?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)