|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the names of Ron's parents?
2. How is Ron's mother described?
3. What thoughts about the homeless did Ron have as he flew in a private jet over Fort Worth and looked down on the city?
4. The boy who roped Denver and nearly killed him claimed he was teaching Denver a lesson about what?
5. What is the name of the facility where Ron and his wife volunteered their time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Denver's first impression of Deborah and how he felt about the mission until he met her.
2. How did Denver learn of Deborah's illness?
3. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
4. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
5. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
6. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
7. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
8. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
9. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
10. Describe Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square and explain why his gallery did not post prices on their artwork for sale.
Essay Topic 1
Both Deborah and Denver had a premonition about the other. What was Deborah's premonition about Denver that she experienced in a dream? What was Denver's premonition about Deborah before she became ill? Did either of their premonitions come true?
Essay Topic 2
Sharecropping has been called a modern form of slavery. It was all Denver knew for the first thirty years of his life.
Part 1. Explain how sharecropping works.
Part 2. Describe the life of the sharecropper who harvests the land.
Part 3. Explain who the Man is.
Essay Topic 3
When Ron and Deborah asked Denver to make the drive to Colorado to deliver Regan's belongings, it was a turning point in their relationship with Denver.
Part 1. What obstacles had to be overcome in order for Denver to attain a valid driver license? How did Ron help Denver accomplish this?
Part 2. With what valuable items was Denver entrusted by Ron for the trip?
Part 3. Explain Ron's worries about sending Denver on the trip. Did his worries come true?
This section contains 2,221 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)