|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ron endure his teacher's cruel punishment?
2. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
3. How did Denver's father die?
4. What affliction affected Ron's father when Ron was a child?
5. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Normally soft-spoken, explain how Denver defied his usual custom of keeping to himself at the memorial service for Deborah that was attended by a thousand people.
2. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
3. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
4. While Deborah was in the final days of her life and in terrible pain, what message from God did Denver deliver to Ron?
5. In what ways did Ron's grandfather, a blackland farm owner, treat his black and white employees differently?
6. How did Denver learn of Deborah's illness?
7. Describe Ron's art gallery in Sundance Square and explain why his gallery did not post prices on their artwork for sale.
8. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
9. Explain the circumstances that lead to the death of Big Mama and Cousin Chook when Denver was a boy.
10. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Denver first arrived at the mission, he kept to himself and was considered a loner. Still, Deborah Hall sought him out.
Part 1. Describe how Deborah first approached Denver and how Denver felt about her.
Part 2. Explain the dream Deborah had and why she thought Denver might be the man from her dream.
Part 3. Explain how Deborah's influence led Denver to become more active in the mission. In what types of activities did Denver become involved?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childhoods of Ron and Denver. Find two similarities and two differences. Do you think they would have been friends as children, had they met at a young age?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Deborah's funeral and memorial service. What did Denver do after Deborah was buried in a plain pine casket? When Denver spoke at Deborah's memorial service, how was it out of character for him to do so? What did he say about Deborah? What did he announce that he was going to do in her memory?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)