|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Denver recalled stories from his childhood about black men being fed to a gator for doing what?
(a) Stealing cotton and selling it in town.
(b) Robbing the Man.
(c) Looking at a white woman.
(d) Helping a stranded white woman with car trouble.
2. What were the names of Ron's parents?
(a) Denver and Deborah.
(b) Earl and Tommye.
(c) Big Mama and PawPaw.
(d) Thurman and Hershalee.
3. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
(a) Red River Parish.
(c) Falcon Square.
(d) Haltom City.
4. Who helped Deborah plan special events for the needy?
(a) Brother Bill.
(b) Mary Ellen.
5. What did friendship mean to Denver?
(a) A new kind of family.
(b) It meant nothing.
(c) A bond between men that could not be trusted.
(d) A commitment to fight together or die together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
2. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
3. What does "the Man" mean?
4. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
5. Why did Ron decide to volunteer his time to help the needy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Ron learned about Deborah's health during a phone call he received while having lunch with his daughter, Regan.
2. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
3. Explain why Denver drove 5 mph on the mountain road during his trip to Colorado.
4. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
5. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
6. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
7. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
8. After Ron and Denver became friends, Denver shared a fear about Deborah with Ron. What was his fear?
9. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver when he first met him and how did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
10. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)