|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
(a) The Bahamas.
(b) Washington, D.C.
2. Who did Big Mama and PawPaw raise as their own?
(a) Ron and Deborah.
(b) Denver, Thurman and Hershalee.
(c) Earl and Tommye.
(d) James, Bobby and Cousin Chook.
3. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
(a) The science teacher.
(b) A scientist in the front office.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) The principal.
4. Which group of people was responsible for the city changes Ron saw from the private jet?
(a) State leaders.
(b) Foreign investors.
(c) The mission volunteers.
(d) Local billionaires.
5. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
(a) A smoky jazz and blues lounge.
(b) A comedy club.
(c) A playhouse.
(d) A soup kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
2. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
3. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
4. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
5. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
2. At the end of the book, where did Ron go to live and why, and why did Denver come with him?
3. Normally soft-spoken, explain how Denver defied his usual custom of keeping to himself at the memorial service for Deborah that was attended by a thousand people.
4. In the final chapters of the book, explain the relationship that had developed between Ron and Denver.
5. Describe the honest mistake Ron made in second grade and how his teacher, Miss Poe, reacted.
6. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
7. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
8. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
9. What chain of events in Fort Worth lead Denver to come stay at the Union Gospel Mission?
10. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)