|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Denver's father?
2. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
(d) Uncle James.
3. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
(b) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
(c) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
(d) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
4. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
(a) He could not hear or speak well.
(b) He could not run or walk quickly.
(c) He could not sign his name or use a telephone.
(d) He could not read, write or figure.
5. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
(a) When he met a homeless white woman hitching a train ride.
(b) When his father was killed and a kindly white nurse took pity on young Denver.
(c) When the mission volunteers brought him lunch on the plantation.
(d) When he helped a woman with car trouble as a teenager.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
2. With what problem did Denver help the white woman who was stranded with her vehicle on the side of the road?
3. Same Kind of Different as Me is what type of book?
4. How old was Denver when he was nearly killed by a group of white boys?
5. What does "the Man" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
2. With how much money did Denver return from Colorado and what was Ron's reaction?
3. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
4. How did members of Deborah's immediate family react to her impending cancer surgery and what did they do to prepare?
5. Explain Deborah and Ron's differing reasons for becoming volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission.
6. Explain how Ron and Denver became friends.
7. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
8. What new mission did Denver feel called to pursue as Deborah lay dying?
9. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
10. Describe two major events for Ron and Denver that took place after Deborah's death.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)