|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
(a) He became the Man.
(b) He became homeless on the streets of Fort Worth.
(c) He moved to a plantation.
(d) He moved into a mission and helped in exchange for room and board.
2. Where did Deborah first meet Denver?
(a) At Starbucks.
(b) At the Lot.
(c) At the Red River Parish.
(d) At the mission.
3. With what problem did Denver help the white woman who was stranded with her vehicle on the side of the road?
(a) Fixing a leaky radiator.
(b) Replacing a loose belt.
(c) Putting out an engine fire.
(d) Changing a tire.
4. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(b) Room and board.
(c) A car.
(d) Free meals.
5. What did Deborah insist would repair her marriage after Ron had an affair?
(a) Working for the Peace Corps for 18 months.
(b) A couple's therapy retreat.
(c) Volunteering at the Union Gospel Mission.
(d) A cruise around the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
2. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
3. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
4. How is Ron's mother described?
5. During what era did Ron attend school and receive an unjust punishment for his honest mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
2. What dream did Deborah have that she told Ron about?
3. In the conclusion of the story, what did Denver tell Ron about being homeless?
4. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
5. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
6. What new mission did Denver feel called to pursue as Deborah lay dying?
7. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
8. In the final chapters of the book, explain the relationship that had developed between Ron and Denver.
9. How and why did Ron dress differently from his peers in college?
10. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)