|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(b) She shot the redheaded boy.
(c) She ran for help.
(d) She said nothing.
2. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
(b) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
(c) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
(d) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
3. In which state is the plantation that Denver worked as a teenager?
(c) South Carolina.
4. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
(a) He spent his time reading adventure novels.
(b) Big Mama gave him so many chores.
(c) He preferred the company of the older folks.
(d) He spent every free moment fishing.
5. From where was Denver returning when he spotted the white woman with car trouble on the side of the road?
(a) The Man's house where he was visiting Bobby.
(b) His father BB's shack on the plantation.
(c) The Man's house where he stole a bike.
(d) His aunt's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
2. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
3. What type of person was Uncle James?
4. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
5. With what problem did Denver help the white woman who was stranded with her vehicle on the side of the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
2. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
3. At one time in each of their lives, both Ron and Denver considered themselves to be living "high on the hog," or living a very comfortable life, though their circumstances were vastly different. How were their "high on the hog" lifestyles different?
4. Describe how Rocky, Deborah's palomino pony, was used during Deborah's funeral and what Denver did after the ceremony was completed.
5. Describe Ron's and Deborah's 31st wedding anniversary when Deborah was dying of cancer.
6. Explain how Denver felt about Deborah's illness and why it reminded him of his past.
7. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
8. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
9. What chain of events in Fort Worth lead Denver to come stay at the Union Gospel Mission?
10. Explain how Denver went about keeping an all-night prayer vigil for Deborah and tell how Ron reacted to the news that Denver was sleeping during the following day.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)