|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affliction affected Ron's father when Ron was a child?
(a) He suffered a head injury and lost his memory.
(b) He became deaf.
(c) He became an alcoholic.
(d) He lost an arm in a machinery accident.
2. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
3. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
(a) Because Uncle BB carried him on his shoulders everywhere he went.
(b) Because PawPaw carried him in a pocket of his overalls.
(c) Because he helped Big Mama with her medication and emptying the slop jars.
(d) Because he never left his father's side.
4. What was the name of Denver's father?
5. What was the name of the neighborhood in which Ron opened an art gallery in Fort Worth?
(a) Renaissance Square.
(b) Mission Square.
(c) Sundance Square.
(d) Falcon Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the account of Denver's life on the cotton fields in Chapter 1: Denver, what things could Denver claim he actually owned on the plantation?
2. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
3. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
4. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
5. What did Denver do when he spotted the white boys who he knew would cause trouble if they saw him helping a white woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
2. In the conclusion of the story, what did Denver tell Ron about being homeless?
3. Describe Ron's and Deborah's 31st wedding anniversary when Deborah was dying of cancer.
4. When Denver failed to arrive in Colorado on time, what thoughts and fears plagued Ron?
5. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
6. After Deborah's funeral, how did Denver feel about Ron, and what dream-like experience or visitation made him feel more at ease in Ron's house?
7. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
8. After Deborah was given only weeks to live, why did Denver say that Deborah "ain't goin nowhere"?
9. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
10. Describe the condition of Hershalee's house and what happened there when Ron and Denver visited it together.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)