|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which members of Li'l Buddy's family died when they were trapped in the house?
(a) PawPaw and Uncle James.
(b) Big Mama and Cousin Chook.
(c) Ron and Buddy.
(d) Earl and Tommye.
2. Who were Don Shisler and Pam?
(a) The people who saved Denver's life.
(b) The director and volunteer coordinator of the facility.
(c) A preacher and his assistant.
(d) Sharecroppers who changed Ron's life.
3. What did Denver want most from the volunteers?
(a) To become one of them.
(b) Room and board.
(c) To be left alone.
(d) To be accepted as family.
4. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
(a) She was rude and prejudiced against blacks.
(b) She was his guardian angel.
(c) She was the skinniest, nosiest, pushiest white or black woman he ever met.
(d) She hated the homeless.
5. What did friendship mean to Denver?
(a) A new kind of family.
(b) A commitment to fight together or die together.
(c) It meant nothing.
(d) A bond between men that could not be trusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
2. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
3. What type of person was Uncle James?
4. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
5. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how sharecropping works and tell about Denver's experience with sharecropping.
2. After Ron and Denver became friends, Denver shared a fear about Deborah with Ron. What was his fear?
3. Explain why Ron was so surprised by Pearlie Mae's house when he and Denver visited it at the end of the book.
4. Explain why Denver's name being on the Invited Guests list at The Worthington Hotel was a monumental moment for Denver.
5. How did members of Deborah's immediate family react to her impending cancer surgery and what did they do to prepare?
6. Explain how Denver overcame his criminal record, lack of a driver license and inability to read to be able to take the trip to Colorado.
7. Describe Deborah's first impression of Denver.
8. How did people at the mission band together to help Deborah after her cancer surgery?
9. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
10. In the final chapters of the book, explain the relationship that had developed between Ron and Denver.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)