|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
(a) Because PawPaw carried him in a pocket of his overalls.
(b) Because he never left his father's side.
(c) Because he helped Big Mama with her medication and emptying the slop jars.
(d) Because Uncle BB carried him on his shoulders everywhere he went.
2. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
(a) Upper-middle class.
(b) Lower-middle class.
(c) Blue-collar middle class.
(d) Upper class.
3. What is the term used to describe the farm owned by Ron's family?
4. What does "the Man" mean?
(a) Someone who rents the land he farms and struggles to make a profit.
(b) A wealthy landowner who shares equally in the profits and losses with his sharecroppers.
(c) A landowner who forces workers to harvest his crops and pays them with credit that they spend at his company store.
(d) A wealthy man from "old money."
5. During his time working as a sharecropper picking cotton, what did Denver receive instead of a paycheck?
(a) A new bike every Christmas.
(b) Room and board in the Man's house.
(c) A shack and supplies on which he made payments to the Man.
(d) Four square meals a day at the farmhouse kitchen table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the names of Ron's parents?
2. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
3. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
4. Who did Ron dream of showing how successful he had become as he flew along in a private jet?
5. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Denver learn of Deborah's illness?
2. How did members of Deborah's immediate family react to her impending cancer surgery and what did they do to prepare?
3. Why did Denver hop on a freight train and flee the plantation?
4. When half a million dollars was given to the mission, how did Mary Ellen credit Deborah and what was done with the money?
5. Explain the circumstances that lead to the death of Big Mama and Cousin Chook when Denver was a boy.
6. How did Denver come to work as a sharecropper and who was responsible for his involvement?
7. Explain how and where Ron learned that President Kennedy had been shot.
8. For the Colorado trip, Ron trusted Denver but feared he might not return. Describe the valuable items with which Denver was entrusted.
9. List and describe the three occupations that lead Ron from being poor to being very wealthy.
10. Explain how Ron and Deborah used $10,000 in 1975 from the sale of a valuable Renoir painting.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)