|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Ron and Deborah been married when a personal crisis hit them?
(a) Just a few weeks.
(b) Exactly 40 years.
(c) Over thirty years.
(d) Nearly a decade.
2. What did Deborah tell Ron to do after she died?
(a) To date and remarry.
(b) To have Denver move into the house.
(c) To date but never remarry.
(d) To go live at the mission full time.
3. What favor for Denver did Ron request of a friend in Baton Rouge?
(a) To have criminal charges dismissed.
(b) To get a passport.
(c) A job for Denver.
(d) A place for Denver to stay.
4. How did Mr. Ballantine treat Denver at first?
(a) He declared that Denver was his guardian angel.
(b) He thought Denver was a thief.
(c) He cursed him and called him a "nigger."
(d) He was terrified of Denver.
5. Who had a new job in Denver, Colorado and got Denver's help transporting her things there?
(b) Sister Bettie.
(c) Mary Lou.
6. How did Denver manage to come back from Colorado with so much money?
(a) He slept in the car and ate cheaply.
(b) He panhandled on the trip.
(c) He spent only his own money.
(d) He won money gambling.
7. How did Mr. Ballantine arrive at the mission?
(a) He was brought by the police.
(b) He wandered there on foot.
(c) He was dragged there by Denver.
(d) He was pushed out of a car.
8. What did Deborah do, despite the doctor's opinion?
(a) Tried to save her marriage.
(b) Prayed for a miraculous healing for Denver.
(c) Started chemotherapy.
(d) Sought counseling.
9. To which building was Denver invited to attend a ceremony to honor Deborah?
(a) The Hyatt Regency.
(b) The Union Gospel Mission.
(c) The Worthington Hotel.
(d) The Chapel of Deborah Hall.
10. At which facility did Dr. Goldstein work?
(a) Baylor University.
(c) Texas A&M.
(d) Johns Hopkins.
11. What was Denver's fear in relation to Deborah in Chapter 30?
(a) That he would soon lose his job as a volunteer.
(b) That he would be homeless again.
(c) That another person close to him would die.
(d) That Ron would never return his friendship.
12. What did Denver call Deborah's appearance to him as he slept in her home after her death?
(a) A goulie.
(b) A haunting.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A visitation.
13. After Deborah's death, what was Denver's prayer for Ron and his children?
(a) For health.
(b) For a new wife and mother to take Deborah's place.
(c) For financial blessings.
(d) For healing.
14. How many people gathered for Deborah's memorial service?
15. What building did Denver show Ron, to which Ron responded that it was worse than he imagined?
(a) The Union Gospel Mission.
(b) The house of the Man.
(c) Denver's shack.
(d) Denver's family home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Denver's presence at the ceremony for Deborah a reminder to him of his past?
2. In what type of casket was Deborah buried?
3. When Denver learned that Deborah had only days to live, what did he say?
4. Why did Ron leave the hospital room when he brought Denver to visit Mr. Ballantine?
5. What was the name of Deborah's palomino pony that came to the funeral?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)