|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Denver feel about Deborah when he met her?
(a) He felt repulsed by her.
(b) He felt attracted to her.
(c) He felt loved by her.
(d) He felt attacked by her.
2. What is the term used to describe the farm owned by Ron's family?
3. How did Denver's father die?
(a) He was dragged to death behind a horse.
(b) He was stabbed to death.
(c) He died of alcohol poisoning.
(d) He committed suicide.
4. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
5. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
(a) Free Dinner Night.
(b) Homeless Help Night.
(c) New Visitors Night.
(d) Birthday Night.
6. What did Deborah witness a large black man complaining about being stolen from him?
(a) His car keys.
(b) His suitcase.
(c) His Bible.
(d) His shoes.
7. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
(a) Nail Salon Night.
(b) Massage Night.
(c) Beauty Shop Night.
(d) Pampering Night.
8. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
(a) Blue Ford.
(b) Red Cadillac.
(c) Green Oldsmobile.
(d) White Chevy.
9. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Lower-middle class.
(c) Blue-collar middle class.
(d) Upper-middle class.
10. How is Ron's mother described?
(a) An artist and sculptor.
(b) A bad-tempered boss who ran the family cotton farm.
(c) A spiritual woman who quoted Scripture.
(d) A Texas farm girl who sewed and baked cookies.
11. What punishment did Ron's teacher inflict on him for his honest mistake in second grade?
(a) She took away his desk and made him sit on the floor for the entire year.
(b) She forced him to read a letter of apology in front of the entire class.
(c) She pulled down his pants and spanked him in front of his classmates.
(d) She made him press his nose against the wall.
12. What does "the Man" mean?
(a) A wealthy landowner who shares equally in the profits and losses with his sharecroppers.
(b) A wealthy man from "old money."
(c) Someone who rents the land he farms and struggles to make a profit.
(d) A landowner who forces workers to harvest his crops and pays them with credit that they spend at his company store.
13. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
(a) Sister Bettie.
(b) Chef Jim.
(c) Brother Bill.
14. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
(b) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
(c) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
(d) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
15. What ethnicity were the "good ole boys" described in Chapter 1: Denver?
(a) American Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Denver's father?
2. According to the account of Denver's life on the cotton fields in Chapter 1: Denver, what things could Denver claim he actually owned on the plantation?
3. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
4. The boy who roped Denver and nearly killed him claimed he was teaching Denver a lesson about what?
5. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)