|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) The Bahamas.
2. Who helped Deborah plan special events for the needy?
(b) Mary Ellen.
(c) Brother Bill.
3. Why did Denver fear that something bad would happen to Deborah?
(a) Because she had scorned him.
(b) Because she deserved to be punished.
(c) Because her work was so important to God and Satan.
(d) Because she was too trusting of the homeless.
4. Which members of Li'l Buddy's family died when they were trapped in the house?
(a) Earl and Tommye.
(b) Big Mama and Cousin Chook.
(c) PawPaw and Uncle James.
(d) Ron and Buddy.
5. From where was Denver returning when he spotted the white woman with car trouble on the side of the road?
(a) The Man's house where he was visiting Bobby.
(b) His aunt's house.
(c) His father BB's shack on the plantation.
(d) The Man's house where he stole a bike.
6. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
(a) Because Uncle BB carried him on his shoulders everywhere he went.
(b) Because PawPaw carried him in a pocket of his overalls.
(c) Because he helped Big Mama with her medication and emptying the slop jars.
(d) Because he never left his father's side.
7. What name did Deborah and Ron mistakenly call Denver?
8. Where did Deborah first meet Denver?
(a) At Starbucks.
(b) At the Red River Parish.
(c) At the mission.
(d) At the Lot.
9. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
(b) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
(c) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
(d) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
10. Where did Ron endure his teacher's cruel punishment?
(a) In the principal's office.
(b) On the stage of the school auditorium.
(c) On the playground.
(d) At his teacher's home.
11. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
(b) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
(c) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
(d) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
12. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
13. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
(a) Only a few hours.
(b) Many years.
(c) Immediately, because she met him at the train station.
(d) Many months.
14. What was the name of the mean teacher who punished Ron for his honest mistake?
(a) Miss Poe.
(b) Miss O'Keefe.
(c) Mrs. Denver.
(d) Mrs. Hall.
15. The boy who roped Denver and nearly killed him claimed he was teaching Denver a lesson about what?
(a) Being off the plantation.
(b) Bothering white ladies.
(c) Being where he wasn't welcome.
(d) Helping people with car trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denver recalled stories from his childhood about black men being fed to a gator for doing what?
2. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
3. What type of hardwood trees surrounded the Red River Parish plantation of Denver's youth?
4. Why did Ron's upscale art gallery in Fort Worth not post the prices of the paintings they had for sale?
5. What did Deborah tell Ron she saw in a dream?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)