|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
(a) He hired blacks and whites to work for him, but fed the whites at the farmhouse and the blacks at the grocery store.
(b) He came from "old money."
(c) He was in debt at the company store and could not make a profit on his land.
(d) Because Uncle James told him so.
2. What valuable objects were in Ron's possession on the private jet?
(a) Three Georgia O'Keefe paintings.
(b) Two rare Picasso sculptures.
(c) $100,000 in cash and two bars of gold.
(d) Three Monet landscapes.
3. What family pet woke Li'l Buddy one night and alerted him to danger in the house?
(d) Pot-bellied pig.
4. What were the names of Ron's parents?
(a) Earl and Tommye.
(b) Thurman and Hershalee.
(c) Big Mama and PawPaw.
(d) Denver and Deborah.
5. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
6. What made Denver leave the plantation?
(a) He had goals for himself and wanted an education.
(b) He was tired of being poor.
(c) He wanted more fun in his life.
(d) The plantation went under and Denver was out of a job.
7. Who did Ron dream of showing how successful he had become as he flew along in a private jet?
(a) The homeless people with whom he grew up.
(b) Former co-workers and his old boss.
(c) His mean teacher, old girlfriends and his graduating class.
(d) His ex-wife and all the children who tormented him as a child.
8. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
(b) Uncle James.
9. How did Denver's father die?
(a) He committed suicide.
(b) He died of alcohol poisoning.
(c) He was dragged to death behind a horse.
(d) He was stabbed to death.
10. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
(a) He was on his way to sell very valuable paintings to the owner of the jet.
(b) He was the private pilot of a wealthy family.
(c) He had many wealthy friends who made their private jets available to him.
(d) He owned the jet and was on his way to a luncheon in his honor.
11. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
(a) That things could only get better.
(b) Like he was living "high on the hog."
(c) Like things were okay and he would survive.
(d) That he was at a dead-end.
12. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
(a) He became the Man.
(b) He became homeless on the streets of Fort Worth.
(c) He moved to a plantation.
(d) He moved into a mission and helped in exchange for room and board.
13. Why did Denver fear that something bad would happen to Deborah?
(a) Because she was too trusting of the homeless.
(b) Because she had scorned him.
(c) Because she deserved to be punished.
(d) Because her work was so important to God and Satan.
14. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
(a) He made $100,000 on the sale of three paintings and attended a luncheon in his honor.
(b) He drove to his former teacher's house to confront her about her cruelty years ago.
(c) He was robbed by three homeless men who beat him and stole $100,000 in cash.
(d) He sold the Falcon jet to a wealthy client and made his first fortune.
15. What did Deborah insist would repair her marriage after Ron had an affair?
(a) Volunteering at the Union Gospel Mission.
(b) A cruise around the world.
(c) Working for the Peace Corps for 18 months.
(d) A couple's therapy retreat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
2. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
3. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
4. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
5. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)