|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
(a) Ron's tears.
(b) Ron's hands.
(c) Help from Ron's friends.
(d) The rain.
2. What affliction affected Ron's father when Ron was a child?
(a) He suffered a head injury and lost his memory.
(b) He lost an arm in a machinery accident.
(c) He became an alcoholic.
(d) He became deaf.
3. Why did Ron's upscale art gallery in Fort Worth not post the prices of the paintings they had for sale?
(a) It was considered inappropriate to post prices on very expensive art.
(b) Greasy, smelly homeless people wandered the area.
(c) Ron believed it was bad luck to post price tags on the paintings.
(d) The prices were negotiable and buyers always bargained with sellers of fine art.
4. Which members of Li'l Buddy's family died when they were trapped in the house?
(a) PawPaw and Uncle James.
(b) Big Mama and Cousin Chook.
(c) Ron and Buddy.
(d) Earl and Tommye.
5. What punishment did Ron's teacher inflict on him for his honest mistake in second grade?
(a) She made him press his nose against the wall.
(b) She forced him to read a letter of apology in front of the entire class.
(c) She pulled down his pants and spanked him in front of his classmates.
(d) She took away his desk and made him sit on the floor for the entire year.
6. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
(b) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
(c) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
(d) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
7. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
(a) A Falcon jet.
(b) The keys to a homeless shelter he purchased for her to run.
(c) A priceless Georgia O'Keefe painting.
(d) A gold Piaget watch and a mink jacket.
8. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
(a) White Chevy.
(b) Green Oldsmobile.
(c) Red Cadillac.
(d) Blue Ford.
9. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
(a) He moved to a plantation.
(b) He became the Man.
(c) He became homeless on the streets of Fort Worth.
(d) He moved into a mission and helped in exchange for room and board.
10. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
11. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
(a) Falcon Square.
(c) Red River Parish.
(d) Haltom City.
12. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
(a) He became nervous and forgot his lines in the school play.
(b) He tripped and bumped a cart of art supplies that dumped paint in his teacher's lap.
(c) He mistakenly delivered something to her that was meant for someone else.
(d) He accidently called her "Mama."
13. Why did Ron dress differently than the other students when he was college?
(a) He dressed flamboyantly in colorful costumes.
(b) His clothes were tattered and worn because he was so poor.
(c) He dressed very formally, even on the weekends.
(d) His mother sewed his clothes from feed sacks.
14. What is the term used to describe the farm owned by Ron's family?
15. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
(a) Blue-collar middle class.
(b) Upper-middle class.
(c) Upper class.
(d) Lower-middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the facility where Ron and his wife volunteered their time?
2. How is Ron's mother described?
3. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
4. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
5. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)