|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
(a) She was rude and prejudiced against blacks.
(b) She was the skinniest, nosiest, pushiest white or black woman he ever met.
(c) She hated the homeless.
(d) She was his guardian angel.
2. What did Denver want most from the volunteers?
(a) To become one of them.
(b) Room and board.
(c) To be left alone.
(d) To be accepted as family.
3. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
(a) Red Cadillac.
(b) Blue Ford.
(c) White Chevy.
(d) Green Oldsmobile.
4. Where did Deborah first meet Denver?
(a) At Starbucks.
(b) At the Lot.
(c) At the Red River Parish.
(d) At the mission.
5. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
(a) He became nervous and forgot his lines in the school play.
(b) He accidently called her "Mama."
(c) He mistakenly delivered something to her that was meant for someone else.
(d) He tripped and bumped a cart of art supplies that dumped paint in his teacher's lap.
6. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
(c) Uncle James.
7. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) Free meals.
(b) A car.
(c) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(d) Room and board.
8. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
(a) That things could only get better.
(b) Like he was living "high on the hog."
(c) That he was at a dead-end.
(d) Like things were okay and he would survive.
9. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
(a) Pencil shavings.
(b) His urine.
(c) Worms from the schoolyard.
10. Which members of Li'l Buddy's family died when they were trapped in the house?
(a) Big Mama and Cousin Chook.
(b) Ron and Buddy.
(c) PawPaw and Uncle James.
(d) Earl and Tommye.
11. What did Deborah witness a large black man complaining about being stolen from him?
(a) His suitcase.
(b) His Bible.
(c) His car keys.
(d) His shoes.
12. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
(a) He was in debt at the company store and could not make a profit on his land.
(b) Because Uncle James told him so.
(c) He came from "old money."
(d) He hired blacks and whites to work for him, but fed the whites at the farmhouse and the blacks at the grocery store.
13. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(b) She shot the redheaded boy.
(c) She said nothing.
(d) She ran for help.
14. What made Denver leave the plantation?
(a) He was tired of being poor.
(b) He had goals for himself and wanted an education.
(c) The plantation went under and Denver was out of a job.
(d) He wanted more fun in his life.
15. What thoughts about the homeless did Ron have as he flew in a private jet over Fort Worth and looked down on the city?
(a) He was pleased that the city was moving the homeless so they would not bother him anymore.
(b) He was grateful that there were no homeless people begging on the streets of Fort Worth.
(c) He had sympathy because he used to be homeless.
(d) He was heartbroken for the future of the homeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Denver when he was nearly killed by a group of white boys?
2. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
3. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
4. In which state is the plantation that Denver worked as a teenager?
5. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)