|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
(a) He jumped on the train near the highway.
(b) He hitched a ride from a migrant worker.
(c) The Man died and Denver left in his car.
(d) He simply walked away after having a bad day.
2. What was the name of Denver's father?
3. How is Ron's mother described?
(a) A spiritual woman who quoted Scripture.
(b) An artist and sculptor.
(c) A Texas farm girl who sewed and baked cookies.
(d) A bad-tempered boss who ran the family cotton farm.
4. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
(a) A scientist in the front office.
(b) The principal.
(c) The school nurse.
(d) The science teacher.
5. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She shot the redheaded boy.
(b) She ran for help.
(c) She said nothing.
(d) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
6. What was the name of the mean teacher who punished Ron for his honest mistake?
(a) Mrs. Hall.
(b) Miss O'Keefe.
(c) Miss Poe.
(d) Mrs. Denver.
7. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
(a) A smoky jazz and blues lounge.
(b) A playhouse.
(c) A comedy club.
(d) A soup kitchen.
8. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
(a) Free Dinner Night.
(b) Birthday Night.
(c) Homeless Help Night.
(d) New Visitors Night.
9. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
10. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
(a) Blue Ford.
(b) Green Oldsmobile.
(c) Red Cadillac.
(d) White Chevy.
11. What ethnicity were the "good ole boys" described in Chapter 1: Denver?
(a) American Indian.
12. Before the boys who nearly killed Denver spotted him near the vehicle, what did they ask the white woman?
(a) If she was Bobby's aunt.
(b) If she had seen Denver.
(c) If she needed a ride.
(d) If she needed help.
13. What did friendship mean to Denver?
(a) A commitment to fight together or die together.
(b) A new kind of family.
(c) It meant nothing.
(d) A bond between men that could not be trusted.
14. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
(a) His neck.
(b) His hands.
(c) His nose.
(d) His legs.
15. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
(a) Land-clearing to create a giant city park.
(b) An abandoned military base being converted to an airport.
(c) A mission and chapel being built to support the homeless.
(d) The foundation for a giant urban expansion of towers and buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
2. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
3. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
4. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
5. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)