|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
(a) When the mission volunteers brought him lunch on the plantation.
(b) When his father was killed and a kindly white nurse took pity on young Denver.
(c) When he met a homeless white woman hitching a train ride.
(d) When he helped a woman with car trouble as a teenager.
2. What valuable objects were in Ron's possession on the private jet?
(a) Three Georgia O'Keefe paintings.
(b) Two rare Picasso sculptures.
(c) Three Monet landscapes.
(d) $100,000 in cash and two bars of gold.
3. Who did Big Mama and PawPaw raise as their own?
(a) Earl and Tommye.
(b) Denver, Thurman and Hershalee.
(c) James, Bobby and Cousin Chook.
(d) Ron and Deborah.
4. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(b) She shot the redheaded boy.
(c) She ran for help.
(d) She said nothing.
5. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
(a) New Visitors Night.
(b) Birthday Night.
(c) Free Dinner Night.
(d) Homeless Help Night.
6. How soon after arriving in Fort Worth did Denver meet Deborah?
(a) Many years.
(b) Only a few hours.
(c) Immediately, because she met him at the train station.
(d) Many months.
7. What were the names of Ron's parents?
(a) Denver and Deborah.
(b) Big Mama and PawPaw.
(c) Earl and Tommye.
(d) Thurman and Hershalee.
8. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
(a) Beauty Shop Night.
(b) Massage Night.
(c) Pampering Night.
(d) Nail Salon Night.
9. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(d) The Bahamas.
10. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
(a) Flower sacks.
(b) Any material donated to the mission.
(c) Feed bags.
(d) Her husband's worn shirts.
11. What did Denver do when he spotted the white boys who he knew would cause trouble if they saw him helping a white woman?
(a) He stood up so they would not think he was hiding.
(b) He began to walk away quickly.
(c) He climbed into the cab of the truck and hid.
(d) He hid behind the wheel, hoping they would not see him.
12. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
(a) A playhouse.
(b) A soup kitchen.
(c) A comedy club.
(d) A smoky jazz and blues lounge.
13. Who did Ron dream of showing how successful he had become as he flew along in a private jet?
(a) Former co-workers and his old boss.
(b) His mean teacher, old girlfriends and his graduating class.
(c) The homeless people with whom he grew up.
(d) His ex-wife and all the children who tormented him as a child.
14. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
(a) He became homeless on the streets of Fort Worth.
(b) He became the Man.
(c) He moved to a plantation.
(d) He moved into a mission and helped in exchange for room and board.
15. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
(a) He made $100,000 on the sale of three paintings and attended a luncheon in his honor.
(b) He drove to his former teacher's house to confront her about her cruelty years ago.
(c) He sold the Falcon jet to a wealthy client and made his first fortune.
(d) He was robbed by three homeless men who beat him and stole $100,000 in cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
2. What type of hardwood trees surrounded the Red River Parish plantation of Denver's youth?
3. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
4. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
5. With what problem did Denver help the white woman who was stranded with her vehicle on the side of the road?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)