|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Denver's father die?
(a) He was stabbed to death.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He was dragged to death behind a horse.
(d) He died of alcohol poisoning.
2. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She said nothing.
(b) She ran for help.
(c) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(d) She shot the redheaded boy.
3. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
(a) His neck.
(b) His hands.
(c) His nose.
(d) His legs.
4. According to the account of Denver's life on the cotton fields in Chapter 1: Denver, what things could Denver claim he actually owned on the plantation?
(a) Everything he had was owned by the Man.
(b) An outhouse.
(c) A shack and a lame pony.
(d) A pig and two pairs of overalls.
5. What did Denver think of Deborah the first time he met her in Fort Worth?
(a) She was the skinniest, nosiest, pushiest white or black woman he ever met.
(b) She hated the homeless.
(c) She was his guardian angel.
(d) She was rude and prejudiced against blacks.
6. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
(a) Pampering Night.
(b) Massage Night.
(c) Nail Salon Night.
(d) Beauty Shop Night.
7. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
(a) He hired blacks and whites to work for him, but fed the whites at the farmhouse and the blacks at the grocery store.
(b) He came from "old money."
(c) He was in debt at the company store and could not make a profit on his land.
(d) Because Uncle James told him so.
8. Who were Don Shisler and Pam?
(a) The director and volunteer coordinator of the facility.
(b) The people who saved Denver's life.
(c) Sharecroppers who changed Ron's life.
(d) A preacher and his assistant.
9. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
(b) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
(c) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
(d) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
10. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
11. Why did Denver fear that something bad would happen to Deborah?
(a) Because her work was so important to God and Satan.
(b) Because she was too trusting of the homeless.
(c) Because she deserved to be punished.
(d) Because she had scorned him.
12. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
(a) Lectures on finding jobs.
(b) Counseling sessions with Ron and Deborah.
(c) Medical exams.
(d) Sermons from Brother Bill.
13. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
(a) A mission and chapel being built to support the homeless.
(b) The foundation for a giant urban expansion of towers and buildings.
(c) Land-clearing to create a giant city park.
(d) An abandoned military base being converted to an airport.
14. Which group of people was responsible for the city changes Ron saw from the private jet?
(a) State leaders.
(b) Foreign investors.
(c) Local billionaires.
(d) The mission volunteers.
15. What ethnicity were the "good ole boys" described in Chapter 1: Denver?
(d) American Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
2. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
3. To what danger did the family pet alert Li'l Buddy?
4. Why did Ron dress differently than the other students when he was college?
5. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)