|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Denver recalled stories from his childhood about black men being fed to a gator for doing what?
(a) Helping a stranded white woman with car trouble.
(b) Looking at a white woman.
(c) Stealing cotton and selling it in town.
(d) Robbing the Man.
2. Before the boys who nearly killed Denver spotted him near the vehicle, what did they ask the white woman?
(a) If she needed help.
(b) If she was Bobby's aunt.
(c) If she needed a ride.
(d) If she had seen Denver.
3. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She shot the redheaded boy.
(b) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(c) She said nothing.
(d) She ran for help.
4. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
(a) He could not read, write or figure.
(b) He could not hear or speak well.
(c) He could not run or walk quickly.
(d) He could not sign his name or use a telephone.
5. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(b) Room and board.
(c) Free meals.
(d) A car.
6. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
(a) Pencil shavings.
(b) Worms from the schoolyard.
(c) His urine.
7. What did Denver do when he spotted the white boys who he knew would cause trouble if they saw him helping a white woman?
(a) He climbed into the cab of the truck and hid.
(b) He began to walk away quickly.
(c) He stood up so they would not think he was hiding.
(d) He hid behind the wheel, hoping they would not see him.
8. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
(a) Ron's hands.
(b) Help from Ron's friends.
(c) The rain.
(d) Ron's tears.
9. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
(a) White Chevy.
(b) Green Oldsmobile.
(c) Red Cadillac.
(d) Blue Ford.
10. What is the term used to describe the farm owned by Ron's family?
11. How did Denver's father die?
(a) He was stabbed to death.
(b) He died of alcohol poisoning.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He was dragged to death behind a horse.
12. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
(b) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
(c) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
(d) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
13. During what era did Ron attend school and receive an unjust punishment for his honest mistake?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1940s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1980s.
14. What affliction affected Ron's father when Ron was a child?
(a) He suffered a head injury and lost his memory.
(b) He became an alcoholic.
(c) He became deaf.
(d) He lost an arm in a machinery accident.
15. Why did Ron decide to volunteer his time to help the needy?
(a) He wanted to be a good husband.
(b) He felt that God had called him to serve.
(c) Denver invited him to join him.
(d) He wanted to set a good example for his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
2. What did Deborah witness a large black man complaining about being stolen from him?
3. What was the name of the mean teacher who punished Ron for his honest mistake?
4. When the Falcon jet landed, what happened to Ron?
5. What was celebrated by the volunteers with frosted sheet cake one evening per month?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)