|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
2. What did friendship mean to Denver?
(a) It meant nothing.
(b) A bond between men that could not be trusted.
(c) A commitment to fight together or die together.
(d) A new kind of family.
3. When Ron sold two valuable paintings in the mid-1970s, where did he and his wife go to socialize with multimillionaire clients for a month?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) The Bahamas.
4. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
(a) Help from Ron's friends.
(b) The rain.
(c) Ron's tears.
(d) Ron's hands.
5. According to the account of Denver's life on the cotton fields in Chapter 1: Denver, what things could Denver claim he actually owned on the plantation?
(a) A pig and two pairs of overalls.
(b) An outhouse.
(c) A shack and a lame pony.
(d) Everything he had was owned by the Man.
6. Why did Li'l Buddy not play much as a child?
(a) Big Mama gave him so many chores.
(b) He preferred the company of the older folks.
(c) He spent his time reading adventure novels.
(d) He spent every free moment fishing.
7. Where did Deborah first meet Denver?
(a) At Starbucks.
(b) At the Lot.
(c) At the mission.
(d) At the Red River Parish.
8. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
(a) Sermons from Brother Bill.
(b) Medical exams.
(c) Lectures on finding jobs.
(d) Counseling sessions with Ron and Deborah.
9. What was the name of Denver's father?
10. During his time working as a sharecropper picking cotton, what did Denver receive instead of a paycheck?
(a) A shack and supplies on which he made payments to the Man.
(b) Room and board in the Man's house.
(c) A new bike every Christmas.
(d) Four square meals a day at the farmhouse kitchen table.
11. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
(a) Massage Night.
(b) Pampering Night.
(c) Nail Salon Night.
(d) Beauty Shop Night.
12. From where was Denver returning when he spotted the white woman with car trouble on the side of the road?
(a) His father BB's shack on the plantation.
(b) The Man's house where he was visiting Bobby.
(c) The Man's house where he stole a bike.
(d) His aunt's house.
13. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
(a) A mission and chapel being built to support the homeless.
(b) The foundation for a giant urban expansion of towers and buildings.
(c) An abandoned military base being converted to an airport.
(d) Land-clearing to create a giant city park.
14. What is the name of the facility where Ron and his wife volunteered their time?
(a) The Salvation Army.
(b) The Union Gospel Mission.
(c) The First Church of Denver.
(d) The Red River Parish.
15. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
(a) Chef Jim.
(b) Brother Bill.
(d) Sister Bettie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
2. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
3. Who helped Deborah plan special events for the needy?
4. What made Denver leave the plantation?
5. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)