|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) A car.
(b) Room and board.
(c) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(d) Free meals.
2. How old was Denver when he was nearly killed by a group of white boys?
3. Before the boys who nearly killed Denver spotted him near the vehicle, what did they ask the white woman?
(a) If she needed help.
(b) If she needed a ride.
(c) If she had seen Denver.
(d) If she was Bobby's aunt.
4. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
(a) He accidently called her "Mama."
(b) He tripped and bumped a cart of art supplies that dumped paint in his teacher's lap.
(c) He became nervous and forgot his lines in the school play.
(d) He mistakenly delivered something to her that was meant for someone else.
5. What made Denver leave the plantation?
(a) He was tired of being poor.
(b) He wanted more fun in his life.
(c) He had goals for himself and wanted an education.
(d) The plantation went under and Denver was out of a job.
6. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
7. Same Kind of Different as Me is what type of book?
(a) Romantic fiction.
(b) Non-fiction biography.
(c) Non-fiction autobiography.
(d) Historical fiction.
8. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
9. What did Deborah tell Ron she saw in a dream?
(a) Instructions from God to go volunteer with the needy.
(b) Her son in heaven.
(c) The face of a man who would save the city.
(d) A woman called Big Mama who would help Denver.
10. What were the names of Ron's parents?
(a) Denver and Deborah.
(b) Thurman and Hershalee.
(c) Earl and Tommye.
(d) Big Mama and PawPaw.
11. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
(a) The foundation for a giant urban expansion of towers and buildings.
(b) An abandoned military base being converted to an airport.
(c) Land-clearing to create a giant city park.
(d) A mission and chapel being built to support the homeless.
12. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
(b) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
(c) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
(d) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
13. Why was one of the central figures in the book called Li'l Buddy while growing up?
(a) Because he helped Big Mama with her medication and emptying the slop jars.
(b) Because Uncle BB carried him on his shoulders everywhere he went.
(c) Because he never left his father's side.
(d) Because PawPaw carried him in a pocket of his overalls.
14. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
(a) A gold Piaget watch and a mink jacket.
(b) A priceless Georgia O'Keefe painting.
(c) The keys to a homeless shelter he purchased for her to run.
(d) A Falcon jet.
15. What special event did Deborah start for the needy women?
(a) Pampering Night.
(b) Nail Salon Night.
(c) Beauty Shop Night.
(d) Massage Night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ron's mother described?
2. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
3. Of what social class was Ron a member while growing up?
4. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
5. During his time working as a sharecropper picking cotton, what did Denver receive instead of a paycheck?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)