|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many boys were there in the group that nearly killed Denver?
2. Denver recalled stories from his childhood about black men being fed to a gator for doing what?
(a) Stealing cotton and selling it in town.
(b) Helping a stranded white woman with car trouble.
(c) Looking at a white woman.
(d) Robbing the Man.
3. During his time working as a sharecropper picking cotton, what did Denver receive instead of a paycheck?
(a) A shack and supplies on which he made payments to the Man.
(b) A new bike every Christmas.
(c) Room and board in the Man's house.
(d) Four square meals a day at the farmhouse kitchen table.
4. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(b) Free meals.
(c) Room and board.
(d) A car.
5. What happened to Ron's art gallery to confirm his negative opinion of the homeless?
(a) He was robbed at gunpoint by a homeless man who stole his wallet.
(b) Two bums slept in the doorway of his art gallery and scared customers away.
(c) A homeless woman snuck into his store and stole a priceless painting.
(d) Two bums stole cash and jewelry from his store.
6. Who encouraged Ron and Denver to become friends?
(a) Sister Bettie.
(b) Chef Jim.
(d) Brother Bill.
7. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
(a) He simply walked away after having a bad day.
(b) The Man died and Denver left in his car.
(c) He jumped on the train near the highway.
(d) He hitched a ride from a migrant worker.
8. What family pet woke Li'l Buddy one night and alerted him to danger in the house?
(b) Pot-bellied pig.
9. What punishment did Ron's teacher inflict on him for his honest mistake in second grade?
(a) She took away his desk and made him sit on the floor for the entire year.
(b) She forced him to read a letter of apology in front of the entire class.
(c) She pulled down his pants and spanked him in front of his classmates.
(d) She made him press his nose against the wall.
10. What was the name of the neighborhood in which Ron opened an art gallery in Fort Worth?
(a) Sundance Square.
(b) Mission Square.
(c) Falcon Square.
(d) Renaissance Square.
11. What did the white woman stranded with car trouble do when the boys attacked Denver?
(a) She said nothing.
(b) She threatened the boys with a gun and they let him go.
(c) She shot the redheaded boy.
(d) She ran for help.
12. In Chapter 13, Denver looked back on life as a sharecropper. How did he feel at age 18 in a 2-room shack with a bed, table, stove and an outhouse?
(a) That things could only get better.
(b) That he was at a dead-end.
(c) Like he was living "high on the hog."
(d) Like things were okay and he would survive.
13. Denver lacked which basic abilities when he arrived in Fort Worth?
(a) He could not read, write or figure.
(b) He could not hear or speak well.
(c) He could not run or walk quickly.
(d) He could not sign his name or use a telephone.
14. Why did Ron's upscale art gallery in Fort Worth not post the prices of the paintings they had for sale?
(a) It was considered inappropriate to post prices on very expensive art.
(b) Greasy, smelly homeless people wandered the area.
(c) The prices were negotiable and buyers always bargained with sellers of fine art.
(d) Ron believed it was bad luck to post price tags on the paintings.
15. With what problem did Denver help the white woman who was stranded with her vehicle on the side of the road?
(a) Putting out an engine fire.
(b) Changing a tire.
(c) Fixing a leaky radiator.
(d) Replacing a loose belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ron's mother described?
2. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
3. Which members of Li'l Buddy's family died when they were trapped in the house?
4. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
5. What did Ron give Deborah after he became wealthy to make her forgive him for using her stock?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)