|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Denver's father die?
(a) He died of alcohol poisoning.
(b) He was dragged to death behind a horse.
(c) He was stabbed to death.
(d) He committed suicide.
2. In which part of Fort Worth was Ron raised?
(a) Haltom City.
(b) Falcon Square.
(d) Red River Parish.
3. What type of person was Uncle James?
(a) A homeless man who smiled every day just because he was alive.
(b) A greedy and power-hungry man.
(c) The Man.
(d) A Christian man who quoted Scripture.
4. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
(a) Help from Ron's friends.
(b) Ron's tears.
(c) The rain.
(d) Ron's hands.
5. What did Ron do for a living before becoming a successful and wealthy art dealer?
(a) He was a postal worker.
(b) He was an art teacher.
(c) He was an artist who could not sell his work.
(d) He was an investment banker.
6. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
(a) When he met a homeless white woman hitching a train ride.
(b) When his father was killed and a kindly white nurse took pity on young Denver.
(c) When he helped a woman with car trouble as a teenager.
(d) When the mission volunteers brought him lunch on the plantation.
7. What was the name of the neighborhood in which Ron opened an art gallery in Fort Worth?
(a) Falcon Square.
(b) Mission Square.
(c) Sundance Square.
(d) Renaissance Square.
8. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
(a) He accidently called her "Mama."
(b) He tripped and bumped a cart of art supplies that dumped paint in his teacher's lap.
(c) He became nervous and forgot his lines in the school play.
(d) He mistakenly delivered something to her that was meant for someone else.
9. Who did Ron dream of showing how successful he had become as he flew along in a private jet?
(a) His mean teacher, old girlfriends and his graduating class.
(b) Former co-workers and his old boss.
(c) His ex-wife and all the children who tormented him as a child.
(d) The homeless people with whom he grew up.
10. What sort of place did Tim Taylor run, welcoming the needy to free events there?
(a) A smoky jazz and blues lounge.
(b) A comedy club.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A playhouse.
11. What did Denver do when he spotted the white boys who he knew would cause trouble if they saw him helping a white woman?
(a) He climbed into the cab of the truck and hid.
(b) He began to walk away quickly.
(c) He stood up so they would not think he was hiding.
(d) He hid behind the wheel, hoping they would not see him.
12. Why did Denver fear that something bad would happen to Deborah?
(a) Because she deserved to be punished.
(b) Because her work was so important to God and Satan.
(c) Because she had scorned him.
(d) Because she was too trusting of the homeless.
13. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) A car.
(b) Free meals.
(c) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(d) Room and board.
14. Who was called Li'l Buddy, while growing up?
(c) Uncle James.
15. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
(a) They roped his neck and attempted to drag him.
(b) They wrestled him and tried to strangle him.
(c) They tried to run him over with their car.
(d) They beat him with baseball bats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Deborah insist would repair her marriage after Ron had an affair?
2. From what material did Big Mama sew her large dresses?
3. What name did Deborah and Ron mistakenly call Denver?
4. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
5. What was the name of the mean teacher who punished Ron for his honest mistake?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)