|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Denver recalled stories from his childhood about black men being fed to a gator for doing what?
(a) Stealing cotton and selling it in town.
(b) Helping a stranded white woman with car trouble.
(c) Looking at a white woman.
(d) Robbing the Man.
2. How many years did Denver work the cotton fields?
3. What did Deborah witness a large black man complaining about being stolen from him?
(a) His car keys.
(b) His suitcase.
(c) His Bible.
(d) His shoes.
4. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
(a) The principal.
(b) The school nurse.
(c) A scientist in the front office.
(d) The science teacher.
5. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
(a) He became homeless on the streets of Fort Worth.
(b) He moved into a mission and helped in exchange for room and board.
(c) He became the Man.
(d) He moved to a plantation.
6. During Ron's punishment from the mean teacher, what caused half of the chalk circle to disappear?
(a) Ron's tears.
(b) Ron's hands.
(c) Help from Ron's friends.
(d) The rain.
7. In Chapter 2: Ron, Ron recalls a humiliating experience as a child. What honest mistake did Ron make with his teacher?
(a) He became nervous and forgot his lines in the school play.
(b) He mistakenly delivered something to her that was meant for someone else.
(c) He tripped and bumped a cart of art supplies that dumped paint in his teacher's lap.
(d) He accidently called her "Mama."
8. From where was Denver returning when he spotted the white woman with car trouble on the side of the road?
(a) The Man's house where he was visiting Bobby.
(b) The Man's house where he stole a bike.
(c) His father BB's shack on the plantation.
(d) His aunt's house.
9. Who were Don Shisler and Pam?
(a) Sharecroppers who changed Ron's life.
(b) The director and volunteer coordinator of the facility.
(c) A preacher and his assistant.
(d) The people who saved Denver's life.
10. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
(b) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
(c) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
(d) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
11. What city project did Ron view from his seat on the private Falcon jet?
(a) Land-clearing to create a giant city park.
(b) The foundation for a giant urban expansion of towers and buildings.
(c) A mission and chapel being built to support the homeless.
(d) An abandoned military base being converted to an airport.
12. What did Deborah tell Ron she saw in a dream?
(a) The face of a man who would save the city.
(b) Her son in heaven.
(c) Instructions from God to go volunteer with the needy.
(d) A woman called Big Mama who would help Denver.
13. What did Chef Jim receive for his cooking?
(a) Nothing, because he refused to accept pay.
(b) Free meals.
(c) Room and board.
(d) A car.
14. What did Denver do when he spotted the white boys who he knew would cause trouble if they saw him helping a white woman?
(a) He hid behind the wheel, hoping they would not see him.
(b) He began to walk away quickly.
(c) He stood up so they would not think he was hiding.
(d) He climbed into the cab of the truck and hid.
15. What was in the Dixie cup that Ron handed to his teacher?
(a) Worms from the schoolyard.
(b) His urine.
(c) Pencil shavings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ron's mother described?
2. What did the needy have to sit through in order to receive a free dinner?
3. With what type of vehicle did Denver help the white woman stranded on the side of the road?
4. What part of Ron's body ached as he endured the humiliating punishment from his teacher?
5. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)