Short Essay Questions Key
1. How did Denver's encounter with the white woman with a flat tire impact his life?
2. When Denver was changing the white woman's tire in Chapter 1: Denver, why did he stand up to let the white boys know he is there?
3. Describe how the three white boys nearly killed Denver in Chapter 1: Denver.
4. Explain the conflict over white women between the "good ole' boys" and black men during the time that Denver was growing up in Louisiana.
5. Why did Denver work the cotton fields and continue to be treated like a slave thirty years after the formal end of slavery?
6. Why did Denver hop on a freight train and flee the plantation?
7. Explain why Denver's upbringing and level of education might have made it difficult for him to start a new life away from the plantation.
8. What did Denver think of Deborah Hall the first time he met her?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)