|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3 to 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Denver finally make his escape from life on the cotton fields to being homeless in Fort Worth, Texas?
(a) He jumped on the train near the highway.
(b) He hitched a ride from a migrant worker.
(c) He simply walked away after having a bad day.
(d) The Man died and Denver left in his car.
2. Before meeting Deborah, when was the last time Denver spoke to a white woman?
(a) When his father was killed and a kindly white nurse took pity on young Denver.
(b) When he met a homeless white woman hitching a train ride.
(c) When the mission volunteers brought him lunch on the plantation.
(d) When he helped a woman with car trouble as a teenager.
3. What is the "hobo code of honor" that Denver discovered in Chapter 15?
(a) An agreement to not turn each other in to the police for any reason.
(b) An agreement to share what they have with each other.
(c) An agreement to take turns keeping watch in the park at night while others sleep.
(d) An agreement to back each other up in a fight.
4. For what reasons did Ron decide that Granddaddy was "the Man"?
(a) He came from "old money."
(b) He was in debt at the company store and could not make a profit on his land.
(c) He hired blacks and whites to work for him, but fed the whites at the farmhouse and the blacks at the grocery store.
(d) Because Uncle James told him so.
5. How did the white boys who attacked Denver nearly kill him?
(a) They roped his neck and attempted to drag him.
(b) They tried to run him over with their car.
(c) They wrestled him and tried to strangle him.
(d) They beat him with baseball bats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the neighborhood in which Ron opened an art gallery in Fort Worth?
2. Why was Ron flying in a private jet over the city?
3. After three years of hard work and debt due to sharecropping, what did Uncle James do?
4. Looking back as an adult on the scene with the cruel teacher from his youth, how does Ron feel?
5. Who was supposed to receive the Dixie cup Ron handed to his teacher by mistake?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)