|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack Shewmaker comes into the picture as a potential candidate for ___________.
2. What are the consequences of the competition between Wal-Mart and Kmart?
3. To what does Sam compare the results of Wal-Mart's popularity?
4. Although many people have contributed to the advances in technology at Wal-Mart, who gets the lion's share of gratitude from Sam?
5. Their large private fleet of __________ is one of the largest in the country as well to give them the flexibility they need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
2. When Sam decides to become less involved with the business, what two camps remain?
3. How does Sam motivate his employees?
4. How does the increase in re-urbanization benefit Wal-Mart?
5. What are five more rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
6. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
7. What happens when Sam comes out of retirement?
8. Describe the Saturday meetings.
9. Describe Sam as a manager.
10. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
Essay Topic 2
As a young man, Sam knows two things. He wants to marry Helen and he wants to have a career in retail.
Part 1) How does he come to know this? What does this reveal about him? How does this foreshadow his future?
Part 2) How does he make this happen? How is he so sure this is what he wants?
Part 3) What do you know you want? How do you know you want this? How do you plan to get this?
Essay Topic 3
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)