|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason that Wal-Mart has succeeded?
2. If your store can provide what they need, including low prices, guaranteed satisfaction, and a wide assortment of goods, can success assured?
3. When the company becomes divided, behind whom do the younger guys line up?
4. Why has Sam pretty much fought all of the technological advances?
5. The Wal-Mart concept with variety stores allowed people to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
2. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
3. What happens to the company when Sam retires?
4. Describe the Saturday meetings.
5. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
6. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
7. What are five rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
8. How does Sam motivate his employees?
9. What is Sam's motto that he frequently repeats?
10. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sam believes he was over-blessed with ambition and drive.
Part 1) From whom does he claim he received these traits? Is he proud of these traits? Why or why not? How does he use these traits throughout his life?
Part 2) Are these traits necessary for anyone to become a success? Why or why not?
Part 3) What traits do you possess? How do you use them to your advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)