|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If your store can provide what they need, including low prices, guaranteed satisfaction, and a wide assortment of goods, can success assured?
2. What are a regular part of the Wal-Mart culture and partnership?
3. What does Sam believe are what will continue to keep the customers coming back to shop at your store?
4. When did Wal-Mart take on Kmart?
5. Did Sam have revenge on his mind when he did this?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the increase in re-urbanization benefit Wal-Mart?
2. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
3. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
4. When Sam decides to become less involved with the business, what two camps remain?
5. What are five more rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
6. What has been Sam's behavior toward technological advances?
7. What happens to the company when Sam retires?
8. What does Sam say to support his philosophy of thinking small?
9. What is the "whistle while you work" mentality? How does this benefit the employee and the company?
10. What is Sam's motto that he frequently repeats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 3
One of Sam's top talents is choosing employees.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why does this become an important talent?
Part 2) What are his other talents? How are these talents revealed? How are these talents important? How are they connected to each other?
Part 3) What talents do you possess? How do they impact your daily life? How might you use them to your advantage throughout your life?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)