|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The focal point of their communications are ___________.
2. Sam has plenty of money. What could he have bought?
3. Since the beginning, Sam has been extremely connected as __________.
4. Sam has created a unique culture at Wal-Mart where managers meet ________.
5. For what do Sam and his upper management team look in the smaller stores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the company when Sam retires?
2. What does Sam think about competition?
3. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
4. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
5. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
6. What happens when Sam comes out of retirement?
7. How does Sam motivate his employees?
8. What does Sam say to support his philosophy of thinking small?
9. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
10. Describe the Saturday meetings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 2
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)