|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam has created a unique culture at Wal-Mart where managers meet ________.
2. Sam suggests that if you want to be successful, you need to _______ to your own interests?
3. What does Sam believe are what will continue to keep the customers coming back to shop at your store?
4. How do Sam and Helen involve themselves in pet projects?
5. Why is Sam able to sit down and help write the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sam comes out of retirement?
2. Who has been involved the most in the advancements in technology for Wal-Mart?
3. What is Sam's motto that he frequently repeats?
4. What has been Sam's behavior toward technological advances?
5. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
6. Describe the Saturday meetings.
7. What does Sam think about competition?
8. Describe Sam as a manager.
9. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
10. Why does Sam give back to the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a young man, Sam knows two things. He wants to marry Helen and he wants to have a career in retail.
Part 1) How does he come to know this? What does this reveal about him? How does this foreshadow his future?
Part 2) How does he make this happen? How is he so sure this is what he wants?
Part 3) What do you know you want? How do you know you want this? How do you plan to get this?
Essay Topic 2
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
Essay Topic 3
Wal-Mart has benefited from technology.
Part 1) Describe this technology. How has his belief about putting others first and being willing to let go of ego benefited his company, in respect to technological advances?
Part 2) How has competition also encouraged technological advancement and evolution? How have other companies been hurt by Sam's willingness to trust others and allow for risks to take place?
Part 3) How has technology changed during your own lifetime? How important is technology in your own life? Why?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)