|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is rule number eight?
2. Sam suggests that if you want to be successful, you need to _______ to your own interests?
3. Their large private fleet of __________ is one of the largest in the country as well to give them the flexibility they need?
4. The annual stockholders meeting is an extension of the Wal-Mart culture so that ____________.
5. By the time all the changes in management at Wal-Mart are over, roughly how much of the upper management team is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam able to write this book?
2. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
3. When Sam decides to become less involved with the business, what two camps remain?
4. What happens to the company when Sam retires?
5. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
6. How does Sam motivate his employees?
7. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
8. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
9. What happens when Sam comes out of retirement?
10. What does Sam think about competition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is written to clear up misconceptions about Sam Walton, his family, and his business.
Part 1) What misunderstandings does Sam discuss in this book? How have these misunderstandings occurred? Why does Same feel it is important to clear up these misunderstandings?
Part 2) What does this desire to clear his name reveal about Sam Walton? What ideas did you have regarding Sam Walton and his business prior to reading this book? How did you come about these beliefs?
Part 3) Has Sam been able to alter your opinion of him? Why or why not? What have you learned from reading this book?
Essay Topic 2
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Wal-Mart has benefited from technology.
Part 1) Describe this technology. How has his belief about putting others first and being willing to let go of ego benefited his company, in respect to technological advances?
Part 2) How has competition also encouraged technological advancement and evolution? How have other companies been hurt by Sam's willingness to trust others and allow for risks to take place?
Part 3) How has technology changed during your own lifetime? How important is technology in your own life? Why?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)