|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The focal point of their communications are ___________.
2. Sam reflects on what __________ has done for him and his family.
3. He and his family recognize how fortunate they have been in the success of Wal-Mart and consequently they ______.
4. Sam eventually returns to Newport, Arkansas, and opens a Wal-Mart near ________.
5. If your store can provide what they need, including low prices, guaranteed satisfaction, and a wide assortment of goods, can success assured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
2. What are five rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
3. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
4. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
5. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
6. How does Sam motivate his employees?
7. What happens when Sam comes out of retirement?
8. Why is Sam able to write this book?
9. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
10. What does Sam think about competition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam believes in the "whistle while you work" mentality.
Part 1) What is this mentality? Why does he believe in this mentality? Do you agree that this is a good mentality to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam use this mentality at Wal-Mart? How does this benefit Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations use this mentality to help themselves?
Part 3) How can you use this mentality in your own life? What can your own school do to promote this type of attitude towards school work? How would this change your school?
Essay Topic 2
Sam believes he was over-blessed with ambition and drive.
Part 1) From whom does he claim he received these traits? Is he proud of these traits? Why or why not? How does he use these traits throughout his life?
Part 2) Are these traits necessary for anyone to become a success? Why or why not?
Part 3) What traits do you possess? How do you use them to your advantage?
Essay Topic 3
The "Saturday Night Massacre" is well-known among those in the Wal-Mart culture.
Part 1) What is the "Saturday Night Massacre?" Why is it so significant? Why does it occur?
Part 2) What does it reveal or reinforce about Sam? How does it benefit the company?
Part 3) What message does the "Saturday Night Massacre" send to those in the company, as well as outside Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations learn from Sam's ideals that are reinforced through the "Saturday Night Massacre?"
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)