|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He has had the time of his life running Wal-Mart, but has been wondering _________.
2. The focal point of their communications are ___________.
3. With what is Sam greatly concerned?
4. To what does Sam compare the results of Wal-Mart's popularity?
5. What does each store still apply?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the increase in re-urbanization benefit Wal-Mart?
2. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
3. What is Sam's motto that he frequently repeats?
4. Why is Sam able to write this book?
5. What is the "whistle while you work" mentality? How does this benefit the employee and the company?
6. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
7. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
8. What are five more rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
9. What are five rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
10. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam has the personality of a promoter.
Part 1) How does he have the personality of a promoter? How has he acquired this personality?
Part 2) How does this personality benefit him and his business? How does this personality also benefit others? How does it hurt other people and businesses in the process?
Part 3) Would someone with a personality such as this ever feel satisfied? Why or why not? Would you want to have a personality such as this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 3
Sam is unhappy with debt.
Part 1) How does he end up in debt? Why does debt bother him?
Part 2) How does he get out of debt? How does he feel about this? Why does he feel this way? How does Helen feel about this? Why does she feel this way?
Part 3) How is debt an issue for many Americans today? What can one do who is in debt?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)