|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam explains the difference between Wal-Mart and a number of other potentially-profitable businesses is that _________.
2. What does Sam believe is in need of more funds?
3. What award is given out at these annual meetings?
4. What does competition do to Wal-Mart?
5. Sam eventually returns to Newport, Arkansas, and opens a Wal-Mart near ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam think about competition?
2. What is the "whistle while you work" mentality? How does this benefit the employee and the company?
3. Why is Sam able to write this book?
4. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
5. What has been Sam's behavior toward technological advances?
6. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
7. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
8. Describe Sam as a manager.
9. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
10. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam believes in the "whistle while you work" mentality.
Part 1) What is this mentality? Why does he believe in this mentality? Do you agree that this is a good mentality to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam use this mentality at Wal-Mart? How does this benefit Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations use this mentality to help themselves?
Part 3) How can you use this mentality in your own life? What can your own school do to promote this type of attitude towards school work? How would this change your school?
Essay Topic 2
As a child, Sam learns how hard it is to earn a dollar.
Part 1) Describe Sam's childhood. How did Sam learn the difficulties in earning a living?
Part 2) What role did the Great Depression play in Sam's learning of this? How does this idea of hard work affect him throughout his life?
Part 3) Is hard work important in your own life? Why or why not? Do you agree with Sam that it is difficult to earn a living? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)