|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam is not interested in retail because __________________.
2. Right away, Sam looks for other store opportunities and drives to Fayetteville to find a store whose only competitor is _________.
3. In the beginning, why was Sam unable to pay the associates well?
4. Sam credits the success of the business with what relationship?
5. Sam says by making sure the customers are treated well, what will be the result?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
2. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
3. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
4. How does Sam counter the argument that Wal-Mart has destroyed the small shops in rural towns?
5. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
6. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
7. When Sam decides to become less involved with the business, what two camps remain?
8. What are five more rules given by Sam for running a successful company?
9. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
10. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
Essay Topic 1
Competition is important to Sam.
Part 1) How does Sam show that competition is important? Why is it important to Sam? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Would he feel this way about competition if it started to hurt his company? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam argue that competition and evolution are good? Do you agree with his argument? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is competition found in you own life? How have you benefited from competition?
Essay Topic 2
Sam has ten rules for running a successful company.
Part 1) What are these ten rules? How might Sam have come up with each rule?
Part 2) How can these be considered universal rules? How can they be helpful in any business environment?
Part 3) How can many of these rules be used in your own endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,646 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)