|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam is not interested in retail because __________________.
2. What is significant about Sam's bet regarding being an Eagle Scout?
3. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
4. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
5. While debating the idea of going public, Sam flies around looking for _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Don Whitaker.
2. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
3. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
4. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
5. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
6. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
7. Describe Sam's family.
8. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
9. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
10. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 2
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)