|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He decides to run for the student body president and wins by doing one important move. What is that move?
2. This period of time dictates a __________ period of growth for Wal-Mart.
3. What did going public do to Sam's family?
4. Due to its location, Wal-Mart can enjoy what kind of advertising?
5. A number of employees have gained a great deal of financial wealth from ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Don Whitaker.
2. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
3. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
4. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
5. How does this book begin? What information does it give about Sam Walton and the purpose of this book?
6. How does Sam decide where to build a Wal-Mart? Why?
7. Describe Sam's family.
8. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
9. What does Sam say is the biggest business mistake in his life? What might have led to this?
10. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam believes in the "whistle while you work" mentality.
Part 1) What is this mentality? Why does he believe in this mentality? Do you agree that this is a good mentality to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam use this mentality at Wal-Mart? How does this benefit Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations use this mentality to help themselves?
Part 3) How can you use this mentality in your own life? What can your own school do to promote this type of attitude towards school work? How would this change your school?
Essay Topic 2
Sam believes he was over-blessed with ambition and drive.
Part 1) From whom does he claim he received these traits? Is he proud of these traits? Why or why not? How does he use these traits throughout his life?
Part 2) Are these traits necessary for anyone to become a success? Why or why not?
Part 3) What traits do you possess? How do you use them to your advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Sam has ten rules for running a successful company.
Part 1) What are these ten rules? How might Sam have come up with each rule?
Part 2) How can these be considered universal rules? How can they be helpful in any business environment?
Part 3) How can many of these rules be used in your own endeavors?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)