|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sam buy a little bank in Bentonville?
2. Does Sam worry about fluctuating stock prices?
3. What do the Walton kids all have to do?
4. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
5. No matter how hard Sam's father worked or how many different jobs he had, what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
2. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
3. What is taking place in the world of discount stores in 1962?
4. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
5. What does Sam do once Walton's Five and Dime is a success?
6. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
7. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
8. How does Sam feel about debts and loans?
9. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
10. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 2
Sam wants to leave a legacy.
Part 1) What legacy does he seem to want to leave? How do you know this?
Part 2) Does he believe he did the right things with his life? Why or why not? Do you believe he would do anything differently if he had it to do all over again? Why or why not?
Part 3) What legacy would you like to leave? Why?
Essay Topic 3
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)