|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1939, he meets Hugh Mattingly who owns _____________.
2. What is significant about Sam's bet regarding being an Eagle Scout?
3. Sam talks about the impact of the business on _________.
4. Sam is not interested in retail because __________________.
5. A number of employees have gained a great deal of financial wealth from ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
2. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
3. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
4. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
5. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
6. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
7. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
8. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
9. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
10. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "Saturday Night Massacre" is well-known among those in the Wal-Mart culture.
Part 1) What is the "Saturday Night Massacre?" Why is it so significant? Why does it occur?
Part 2) What does it reveal or reinforce about Sam? How does it benefit the company?
Part 3) What message does the "Saturday Night Massacre" send to those in the company, as well as outside Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations learn from Sam's ideals that are reinforced through the "Saturday Night Massacre?"
Essay Topic 2
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Competition is important to Sam.
Part 1) How does Sam show that competition is important? Why is it important to Sam? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Would he feel this way about competition if it started to hurt his company? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam argue that competition and evolution are good? Do you agree with his argument? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is competition found in you own life? How have you benefited from competition?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)