|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now that Sam is out of debt, he feels he can really concentrate on _________.
2. Why is Ferold Arend hired?
3. Phil Green concocts __________.
4. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
5. Sam purchases ____________ that only travels about 100 miles an hour.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
2. Describe Sam's family.
3. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
4. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
5. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
6. How does Sam decide where to build a Wal-Mart? Why?
7. How does this book begin? What information does it give about Sam Walton and the purpose of this book?
8. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
9. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
10. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam has ten rules for running a successful company.
Part 1) What are these ten rules? How might Sam have come up with each rule?
Part 2) How can these be considered universal rules? How can they be helpful in any business environment?
Part 3) How can many of these rules be used in your own endeavors?
Essay Topic 2
Competition is important to Sam.
Part 1) How does Sam show that competition is important? Why is it important to Sam? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Would he feel this way about competition if it started to hurt his company? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam argue that competition and evolution are good? Do you agree with his argument? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is competition found in you own life? How have you benefited from competition?
Essay Topic 3
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)