Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam describes Phil as a man who not only likes to swim upstream but also that he likes to do it __________.
2. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
3. Sam and Helen are disappointed to leave Newport, but they do have one benefit from their five years working there. What is this benefit?
4. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
5. Sam attends the University of Missouri since he is already well-known in Columbia and joins what fraternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
2. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
3. Why is Sam able to write this book?
4. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
5. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
6. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
7. How does Sam motivate his employees?
8. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
9. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
10. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
Essay Topic 2
Wal-Mart has benefited from technology.
Part 1) Describe this technology. How has his belief about putting others first and being willing to let go of ego benefited his company, in respect to technological advances?
Part 2) How has competition also encouraged technological advancement and evolution? How have other companies been hurt by Sam's willingness to trust others and allow for risks to take place?
Part 3) How has technology changed during your own lifetime? How important is technology in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)