|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam wants to learn more about IBM computers to _________.
2. What is Ferold Arend's position prior to coming to Wal-Mart?
3. Sam would walk into some of the big discount retailers and ask to speak with their top executives, introducing himself as "Sam Walton from Bentonville." Why would he do this?
4. What is significant about Sam's bet regarding being an Eagle Scout?
5. A number of employees have gained a great deal of financial wealth from ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
2. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
3. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
4. Describe Sam's family.
5. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
6. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
7. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
8. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
9. What does Sam do once Walton's Five and Dime is a success?
10. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam wants to leave a legacy.
Part 1) What legacy does he seem to want to leave? How do you know this?
Part 2) Does he believe he did the right things with his life? Why or why not? Do you believe he would do anything differently if he had it to do all over again? Why or why not?
Part 3) What legacy would you like to leave? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 3
As a young man, Sam knows two things. He wants to marry Helen and he wants to have a career in retail.
Part 1) How does he come to know this? What does this reveal about him? How does this foreshadow his future?
Part 2) How does he make this happen? How is he so sure this is what he wants?
Part 3) What do you know you want? How do you know you want this? How do you plan to get this?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)