|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Sam does?
2. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
3. Due to its location, Wal-Mart can enjoy what kind of advertising?
4. Don Whitaker comes to the Wal-Mart organization from TG&Y. He is a hard-working and smart man who establishes a great philosophy for the company. What is this philosophy?
5. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
2. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
3. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
4. How does this book begin? What information does it give about Sam Walton and the purpose of this book?
5. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
6. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
7. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
8. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
9. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
10. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 2
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)