|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what was Sam too focused?
2. Sam was born in ___________.
3. This period of time dictates a __________ period of growth for Wal-Mart.
4. How does placing stores in these small areas affect advertising?
5. Sam admits to thinking about merchandising every day of his life since _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
2. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
3. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
4. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
5. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
6. What does Sam say is the biggest business mistake in his life? What might have led to this?
7. How does Sam feel about debts and loans?
8. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
9. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
10. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Wal-Mart has benefited from technology.
Part 1) Describe this technology. How has his belief about putting others first and being willing to let go of ego benefited his company, in respect to technological advances?
Part 2) How has competition also encouraged technological advancement and evolution? How have other companies been hurt by Sam's willingness to trust others and allow for risks to take place?
Part 3) How has technology changed during your own lifetime? How important is technology in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Sam has ten rules for running a successful company.
Part 1) What are these ten rules? How might Sam have come up with each rule?
Part 2) How can these be considered universal rules? How can they be helpful in any business environment?
Part 3) How can many of these rules be used in your own endeavors?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)