|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam finds a store in Bentonville, but almost does not get the business. Why?
2. No matter how efficient or advanced their distribution center is or how great their technology might be, _______________are the real key to Wal-Mart's success.
3. What does Sam admit was the biggest mistake of his business career?
4. Don is a good example of another one of Sam's top talents. What is this talent?
5. To encourage family togetherness, what does Sam do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
2. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
3. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
4. What does Sam do once Walton's Five and Dime is a success?
5. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
6. What does Sam do when he attends the Univeristy of Missouri?
7. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
8. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
9. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
10. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
Essay Topic 2
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam has ten rules for running a successful company.
Part 1) What are these ten rules? How might Sam have come up with each rule?
Part 2) How can these be considered universal rules? How can they be helpful in any business environment?
Part 3) How can many of these rules be used in your own endeavors?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)