|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
2. Sam is always looking for new and different ways to do things and takes great pleasure in ___________.
3. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
4. How does Sam feel never being on a losing team helped him?
5. Where are Sam and Bud when they seriously consider the idea of going public?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in the world of discount stores in 1962?
2. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
3. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
4. How does Sam feel about debts and loans?
5. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
6. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
7. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
8. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
9. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
10. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam has the personality of a promoter.
Part 1) How does he have the personality of a promoter? How has he acquired this personality?
Part 2) How does this personality benefit him and his business? How does this personality also benefit others? How does it hurt other people and businesses in the process?
Part 3) Would someone with a personality such as this ever feel satisfied? Why or why not? Would you want to have a personality such as this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)