Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam describes Phil as a man who not only likes to swim upstream but also that he likes to do it __________.
2. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
3. Sam and Helen are disappointed to leave Newport, but they do have one benefit from their five years working there. What is this benefit?
4. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
5. Sam attends the University of Missouri since he is already well-known in Columbia and joins what fraternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
2. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
3. Why is Sam able to write this book?
4. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
5. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
6. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
7. How does Sam motivate his employees?
8. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
9. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
10. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Sam believes in the "whistle while you work" mentality.
Part 1) What is this mentality? Why does he believe in this mentality? Do you agree that this is a good mentality to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam use this mentality at Wal-Mart? How does this benefit Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations use this mentality to help themselves?
Part 3) How can you use this mentality in your own life? What can your own school do to promote this type of attitude towards school work? How would this change your school?
Sam believes he was over-blessed with ambition and drive.
Part 1) From whom does he claim he received these traits? Is he proud of these traits? Why or why not? How does he use these traits throughout his life?
Part 2) Are these traits necessary for anyone to become a success? Why or why not?
Part 3) What traits do you possess? How do you use them to your advantage?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)