|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Whitaker comes to the Wal-Mart organization from TG&Y. He is a hard-working and smart man who establishes a great philosophy for the company. What is this philosophy?
2. Unions have tried to organize at Wal-Mart. Have they been successful?
3. They officially close the door on ___________.
4. The way the management treats its associates is exactly how they will treat who?
5. Wal-Mart starts building stores quickly by establishing ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in the world of discount stores in 1962?
2. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
3. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
4. How does Rob help Sam with his debt? What are the results of Sam's fear of being in debt? How do both he and Helen feel about these results?
5. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
6. Describe Sam's family.
7. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
8. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
9. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
10. What does Sam do when he attends the Univeristy of Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam believes in the "whistle while you work" mentality.
Part 1) What is this mentality? Why does he believe in this mentality? Do you agree that this is a good mentality to have? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam use this mentality at Wal-Mart? How does this benefit Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations use this mentality to help themselves?
Part 3) How can you use this mentality in your own life? What can your own school do to promote this type of attitude towards school work? How would this change your school?
Essay Topic 2
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sam gives back to the community.
Part 1) How does he give back? Why does he give back? How does he benefit from this?
Part 2) Why is education a big concern for Sam and Helen? How do they support educational programs? How does this help both Wal-Mart and the community?
Part 3) What are concerns regarding your community, the country, and the world as a whole that you have? Why? What can you do to help?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)