|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He thinks many of these failed stores would still be open if they had remembered to ___________.
2. Sam was born in ___________.
3. Sam starts to hear about discounting companies. He knows that discounting is the way of the future but is fully immersed in what?
4. On what was Sam too focused?
5. Does Sam worry about fluctuating stock prices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
2. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
3. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
4. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
5. What does Sam say is the biggest business mistake in his life? What might have led to this?
6. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
7. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
8. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
9. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
10. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Family togetherness" is important to Sam.
Part 1) What does Sam mean by "family togetherness?" Why is this important? How did he come up with this concept?
Part 2) How does he use this sam concept in his stores? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) Is "family togetherness" important in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of Sam's top talents is choosing employees.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why does this become an important talent?
Part 2) What are his other talents? How are these talents revealed? How are these talents important? How are they connected to each other?
Part 3) What talents do you possess? How do they impact your daily life? How might you use them to your advantage throughout your life?
Essay Topic 3
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)