|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam was born in ___________.
2. Don Whitaker comes to the Wal-Mart organization from TG&Y. He is a hard-working and smart man who establishes a great philosophy for the company. What is this philosophy?
3. When does Wal-Mart become a publicly-traded company?
4. Sam starts to hear about discounting companies. He knows that discounting is the way of the future but is fully immersed in what?
5. What did going public do to Sam's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
2. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
3. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
4. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
5. What is taking place in the world of discount stores in 1962?
6. How does Sam's experience in football reflect his personality traits?
7. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
8. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
9. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
10. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam believes he was over-blessed with ambition and drive.
Part 1) From whom does he claim he received these traits? Is he proud of these traits? Why or why not? How does he use these traits throughout his life?
Part 2) Are these traits necessary for anyone to become a success? Why or why not?
Part 3) What traits do you possess? How do you use them to your advantage?
Essay Topic 2
The "Saturday Night Massacre" is well-known among those in the Wal-Mart culture.
Part 1) What is the "Saturday Night Massacre?" Why is it so significant? Why does it occur?
Part 2) What does it reveal or reinforce about Sam? How does it benefit the company?
Part 3) What message does the "Saturday Night Massacre" send to those in the company, as well as outside Wal-Mart? How can other businesses and organizations learn from Sam's ideals that are reinforced through the "Saturday Night Massacre?"
Essay Topic 3
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)