|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam and Helen are disappointed to leave Newport, but they do have one benefit from their five years working there. What is this benefit?
2. Sam is always looking for new and different ways to do things and takes great pleasure in ___________.
3. Sam wants to learn more about IBM computers to _________.
4. Sam starts to hear about discounting companies. He knows that discounting is the way of the future but is fully immersed in what?
5. He learns from a very early age that children should do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
2. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
3. How does Rob help Sam with his debt? What are the results of Sam's fear of being in debt? How do both he and Helen feel about these results?
4. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
5. What does Sam say is the biggest business mistake in his life? What might have led to this?
6. How did Sam treat his employees in the beginning? Why? What has he realized from this?
7. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
8. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
9. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
10. How does Sam feel about debts and loans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 2
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
Essay Topic 3
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)