|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
2. Sam credits the success of the business with what relationship?
3. When he is 14, Sam saves a boy from ____________.
4. Sam and Charlie create the _______ self-service style variety store in the country and the first one in the eight-state area.
5. The idea of going public is brought up by __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam say is the biggest business mistake in his life? What might have led to this?
2. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
3. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
4. How does Rob help Sam with his debt? What are the results of Sam's fear of being in debt? How do both he and Helen feel about these results?
5. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
6. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
7. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
8. Describe Don Whitaker.
9. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
10. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 2
As a young man, Sam knows two things. He wants to marry Helen and he wants to have a career in retail.
Part 1) How does he come to know this? What does this reveal about him? How does this foreshadow his future?
Part 2) How does he make this happen? How is he so sure this is what he wants?
Part 3) What do you know you want? How do you know you want this? How do you plan to get this?
Essay Topic 3
Sam credits the success of the business to the relationship between managers and their associates.
Part 1) Describe how Sam creates this type of relationship. How did this relationship evolve and develop over time? How was it improved over time?
Part 2) How does this relationship benefit business? How does it reflect the relationship between the business and the customer?
Part 3) How has the public been involved in Wal-Mart's growth? How does this benefit all involved? Why are unions not required, according to Sam? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)