|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The biggest challenge Wal-Mart has right now at this growth period is what?
2. What does Sam do everywhere he travels?
3. He decides to run for the student body president and wins by doing one important move. What is that move?
4. Sam is not interested in retail because __________________.
5. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam decide where to build a Wal-Mart? Why?
2. Why does Sam believe that Wal-Mart is successful? Why do other stores fail?
3. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
4. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
5. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
6. Who plants the idea in Sam's mind of going public? How does he do this?
7. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
8. How does Sam feel about debts and loans?
9. Describe Sam's family.
10. How did Sam treat his employees in the beginning? Why? What has he realized from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Competition is important to Sam.
Part 1) How does Sam show that competition is important? Why is it important to Sam? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Would he feel this way about competition if it started to hurt his company? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam argue that competition and evolution are good? Do you agree with his argument? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is competition found in you own life? How have you benefited from competition?
Essay Topic 3
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)