Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam describes Phil as a man who not only likes to swim upstream but also that he likes to do it __________.
2. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
3. Sam and Helen are disappointed to leave Newport, but they do have one benefit from their five years working there. What is this benefit?
4. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
5. Sam attends the University of Missouri since he is already well-known in Columbia and joins what fraternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
2. Describe the reason why Wal-Mart succeeds?
3. Why is Sam able to write this book?
4. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
5. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
6. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
7. How does Sam motivate his employees?
8. Describe Wal-Mart's run-in with Kmart.
9. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
10. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
It is important to think small.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why is this important? How is this especially important in the case of Wal-Mart?
Part 2) How does this idea reflect and reinforce other beliefs of Sam's?
Part 3) How can thinking small be useful in your own community and your own life?
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Sam opens Walton's Five and Dime, which become a success.
Part 1) What leads up to Sam opening Walton's Five and Dime? How does he prepare to open his own store?
Part 2) Why is it so successful? What does this success foreshadow?
Part 3) What does Sam learn from opening and running this first store? How does he use this knowledge later?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)