|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in the 1960s, with what was Sam more concerned, rather than quality?
2. Phil Green concocts __________.
3. What does Sam admit was the biggest mistake of his business career?
4. Sam says by making sure the customers are treated well, what will be the result?
5. At the time, nobody wants to invest in the idea with Bud putting only 3 percent into it and another manager from Texas putting in 2 percent. Other than that, Sam had to come up with what percent of the financing on his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
2. What does Sam do when he attends the Univeristy of Missouri?
3. Describe Sam's family.
4. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
5. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
6. Who plants the idea in Sam's mind of going public? How does he do this?
7. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
8. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
9. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
10. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of Sam's top talents is choosing employees.
Part 1) How is this proven? Why does this become an important talent?
Part 2) What are his other talents? How are these talents revealed? How are these talents important? How are they connected to each other?
Part 3) What talents do you possess? How do they impact your daily life? How might you use them to your advantage throughout your life?
Essay Topic 3
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)