|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam is always looking for new and different ways to do things and takes great pleasure in ___________.
2. What does Sam do everywhere he travels?
3. Eventually, Arend will become Wal-Mart's first ___________.
4. What is Ferold Arend's position prior to coming to Wal-Mart?
5. What did Sam have to do when the family was on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
2. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
3. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
4. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
5. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
6. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
7. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
8. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
9. What is taking place in the world of discount stores in 1962?
10. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, Sam learns how hard it is to earn a dollar.
Part 1) Describe Sam's childhood. How did Sam learn the difficulties in earning a living?
Part 2) What role did the Great Depression play in Sam's learning of this? How does this idea of hard work affect him throughout his life?
Part 3) Is hard work important in your own life? Why or why not? Do you agree with Sam that it is difficult to earn a living? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wal-Mart has benefited from technology.
Part 1) Describe this technology. How has his belief about putting others first and being willing to let go of ego benefited his company, in respect to technological advances?
Part 2) How has competition also encouraged technological advancement and evolution? How have other companies been hurt by Sam's willingness to trust others and allow for risks to take place?
Part 3) How has technology changed during your own lifetime? How important is technology in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Competition is important to Sam.
Part 1) How does Sam show that competition is important? Why is it important to Sam? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Would he feel this way about competition if it started to hurt his company? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam argue that competition and evolution are good? Do you agree with his argument? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is competition found in you own life? How have you benefited from competition?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)