|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
2. Wal-Mart starts building stores quickly by establishing ___________.
3. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
4. Before Wal-Mart, what did the Waltons like to do?
5. Sam's attention to his associates and each manager having a minority share in the business sets the stage for _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sam's family.
2. Describe Wal-Mart and Sam by 1974.
3. What does Sam do when he attends the Univeristy of Missouri?
4. Why is Sam able to write this book?
5. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
6. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
7. How did Sam treat his employees in the beginning? Why? What has he realized from this?
8. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
9. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
10. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
Essay Topic 1
The secret of success is to put the customer first.
Part 1) Why is this the secret of success? Would you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does Sam go about doing this? Do you believe he is successful at putting the customer first? Why or why not? How is this attitude of putting others first reflected throughout the entire Wal-Mart corporation?
Part 3) How do you put others first in your own life? How does this benefit both you and them?
Essay Topic 2
Sam is unhappy with debt.
Part 1) How does he end up in debt? Why does debt bother him?
Part 2) How does he get out of debt? How does he feel about this? Why does he feel this way? How does Helen feel about this? Why does she feel this way?
Part 3) How is debt an issue for many Americans today? What can one do who is in debt?
Essay Topic 3
The first Wal-Mart is opened on July 2, 1962.
Part 1) What leads up to the opening of the first Wal-Mart store? How does the store get this name? Describe this type of store. How is it different from Sam's previous stores? Why is it different?
Part 2) Why does Sam believe this type of store is the way of the future? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Wal-Mart affect other retail stores? How has Wal-Mart changed retail stores today? Is this good? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,496 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)