|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is 14, Sam saves a boy from ____________.
(a) Starving to death.
(b) Getting hit by a car.
(c) A wild boar.
2. Sam finds a store in Bentonville, but almost does not get the business. Why?
(a) He does not want to move to Bentonville.
(b) Helen does not want him to buy it.
(c) He cannot afford to buy the store.
(d) The two widowed owners almost refuse to sell it.
3. Sam enlists the help of Charlie Baum, whom he met ______________.
(a) While working with the Ben Franklin store.
(b) While working at JC Penney.
(c) While in college.
(d) In high school.
4. Sam would walk into some of the big discount retailers and ask to speak with their top executives, introducing himself as "Sam Walton from Bentonville." Why would he do this?
(a) To get a job at one of these stores.
(b) To make friends.
(c) To pick their brains about how their operations were run.
(d) To let the competition know who he is.
5. Why is Ferold Arend hired?
(a) To be CEO of Wal-Mart.
(b) To take over Sam's position.
(c) To improve the technology at Wal-Mart.
(d) To push Wal-Mart into the best distribution center possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Walton kids all have to do?
2. Sam and Helen are disappointed to leave Newport, but they do have one benefit from their five years working there. What is this benefit?
3. How do the children have just as high a stake in the family business as their parents?
4. Why does Sam realize he must get a career job and accepts a job from JC Penney?
5. What is significant about Sam's bet regarding being an Eagle Scout?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
2. How does he give back? Why does he give back in this way?
3. Why does Sam give back to the community?
4. What does Sam think about the way he has spent his life? What is the message he gives at the end of the book?
5. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
6. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
7. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
8. Describe, in general, this period of time for Wal-Mart.
9. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
10. What does Sam do when he attends the Univeristy of Missouri?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)