|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
2. Where are Sam and Bud when they seriously consider the idea of going public?
(a) Quail hunting at the Robson ranch.
(b) At a Wal-Mart staff meeting.
(c) At Sam's home.
(d) On vacation in Las Vegas.
3. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
(a) So she will have plenty of time with her grandchildren.
(b) She does not want to be lonely.
(c) She needs something to do.
(d) So she will have plenty of people to care for her when she is old.
4. Has Wal-Mart always treated its employees as well as it should have?
(a) Only at first.
5. Sam admits to thinking about merchandising every day of his life since _____________.
(a) He was born.
(b) Since his first job.
(c) Since he met Helen's father.
(d) He started.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wal-Mart share information with its associates?
2. While debating the idea of going public, Sam flies around looking for _________.
3. Sam purchases ____________ that only travels about 100 miles an hour.
4. Sam believes that he was over-blessed with the traits of ____________.
5. It is 1962 and many of the successful discounters are doing what, of which Sam seems to disapprove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
2. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
3. How does the store in Bentonville benefit Sam?
4. What does Sam do while debating the idea of going public?
5. Describe Don Whitaker.
6. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
7. With what traits does Sam say is is over-blessed? What does he do with these traits during his adolescence?
8. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
9. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
10. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)