|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phil gets a great deal on a laundry detergent like Tide, and has 18 cases sent to his store and creates the world's largest display of detergents, stacking them almost __________ feet high?
2. What is the first thing Sam does?
(a) He establishes a warehouse.
(b) He makes friends with those who run the town.
(c) He sends his sons to investigate the town.
(d) He moves into the town.
3. Sam wants to learn more about IBM computers to _________.
(a) Be cool.
(b) Be ahead of the competition.
(c) See what digital technology can do for Wal-Mart.
(d) Use computer technology just because he likes it.
4. He thinks many of these failed stores would still be open if they had remembered to ___________.
(a) Support Wal-Mart.
(b) Take care of their customers and employees first.
(c) Be frugal.
(d) Hire someone like Sam.
5. ____________ is one store that expanded and had a distribution center that offered a superior product merchandise that Wal-Mart could offer their customers.
(b) Giant Eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
2. Don Whitaker comes to the Wal-Mart organization from TG&Y. He is a hard-working and smart man who establishes a great philosophy for the company. What is this philosophy?
3. Sam would walk into some of the big discount retailers and ask to speak with their top executives, introducing himself as "Sam Walton from Bentonville." Why would he do this?
4. Right away, Sam looks for other store opportunities and drives to Fayetteville to find a store whose only competitor is _________.
5. This period of time dictates a __________ period of growth for Wal-Mart.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
2. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
3. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
4. How is Sam a maverick in the business world?
5. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
6. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
7. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
8. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
9. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
10. Describe Don Whitaker.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)