|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sam and his brother Bud go into business together and purchase outright ______________.
(a) An old Meijer store in Ruskin Heights.
(b) An old Ben Franklin store in Ruskin Heights.
(c) An old Kmart store in Ruskin Heights.
(d) An old Woolworth store in Ruskin Heights.
2. When Sam did not like the attention given to him and his family by the press, he put a lid on the personal information released to the public. What happened because of this reason according to Sam?
(a) No one cares to know about the history of Wal-Mart.
(b) A great deal of misinformation was released and taken as truth about him and his family.
(c) America forgot about him.
(d) His company suffered.
3. Back in the 1960s, with what was Sam more concerned, rather than quality?
(a) Keeping the customers returning.
(b) Keeping the prices lower than other company's prices for future success.
(c) Keeping large quantities of products in the store.
(d) Good advertising.
4. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
(a) If he wants to go to graduate school.
(b) Where his future lies.
(c) If he wants to be in business.
(d) Where he wants to live.
5. How do the children have just as high a stake in the family business as their parents?
(a) He makes every member of the family a partner in the family business.
(b) If he cannot earn enough money, neither do they.
(c) He gives each child money to spend or save.
(d) He threatens each child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ferold Arend hired?
2. In 1939, he meets Hugh Mattingly who owns _____________.
3. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
4. Sam believes that the reason that Wal-Mart was successful is because __________.
5. Ever since Sam took out his first bank loan, he has not been comfortable or happy with ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
2. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
3. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
4. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
5. How does Sam have the personality of a promoter?
6. Give an example of what Sam would do on family vacations.
7. Who plants the idea in Sam's mind of going public? How does he do this?
8. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
9. How would Sam spy on Kmart?
10. How does Rob help Sam with his debt? What are the results of Sam's fear of being in debt? How do both he and Helen feel about these results?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)