|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children have just as high a stake in the family business as their parents?
(a) If he cannot earn enough money, neither do they.
(b) He threatens each child.
(c) He gives each child money to spend or save.
(d) He makes every member of the family a partner in the family business.
2. Sam is not interested in retail because __________________.
(a) He wants to purchase a farm.
(b) He does not want to be a businessman.
(c) He believes he will be an insurance salesman.
(d) He wants to go to law school.
3. What does Sam admit was the biggest mistake of his business career?
(a) Purchasing this Kmart.
(b) Purchasing this Woolworth.
(c) Purchasing this Ben Franklin.
(d) Purchasing of a shopping center.
4. Eventually, Arend will become Wal-Mart's first ___________.
(a) Manager of operations and later vice president of operations.
(b) Vice president of operations and later its president of operations.
(c) Chief executive of technology and later it president of operations.
(d) Vice president of advertising and later it president of advertising.
5. Phil Green concocts __________.
(a) One of the most famous displays in Wal-Mart history.
(b) One of the most rediculous Wal-Mart stunts in history.
(c) One of the worst displays in Wal-Mart history.
(d) One of the most expensive advertising campaigns in Wal-Mart history.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam describes Phil as a man who not only likes to swim upstream but also that he likes to do it __________.
2. The way the management treats its associates is exactly how they will treat who?
3. Sam buys stores in Little Rock, Springdale, and Siloam Springs, Arkansas, as well as Neodesha and Coffeyville, ___________.
4. Although Sam is a small man at only 130 pounds, he works very hard and gets his letter in the sport of ___________.
5. What kind of farm does Sam's family have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sam treat his employees in the beginning? Why? What has he realized from this?
2. What is known about Sam Walton's childhood? What did he learn during this time about one's ability to make money?
3. What does Wal-Mart have in regards to profit-sharing?
4. How does Rob help Sam with his debt? What are the results of Sam's fear of being in debt? How do both he and Helen feel about these results?
5. What has happened at Wal-Mart regarding unions? Why?
6. Describe the annual stockholder meetings.
7. How did Sam help his family financially? What does he believe about the role of children in the family?
8. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
9. To what does Sam credit the success of the business?
10. How does the placing of Wal-Marts in specific types of locations benefit the company in regard to advertising?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)