|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Sam is a small man at only 130 pounds, he works very hard and gets his letter in the sport of ___________.
2. What does Sam do after he establishes a Wal-Mart on the boundaries of big cities?
(a) He moves onto other cities.
(b) He watches the competition disappear.
(c) He watches as the communities grow to meet the store.
(d) He hopes that those in the cities come out to his store.
3. Sam is always looking for new and different ways to do things and takes great pleasure in ___________.
(a) Researching trends.
(b) Following trends.
(c) Bucking trends.
(d) Starting trends.
4. Why does Sam tell Abe Marks that he does not need their systems?
(a) He is a retail genius.
(b) His systems are faulty.
(c) He does not have enough money.
(d) Computers are a waste of time.
5. At the time, nobody wants to invest in the idea with Bud putting only 3 percent into it and another manager from Texas putting in 2 percent. Other than that, Sam had to come up with what percent of the financing on his own?
Short Answer Questions
1. This period of time dictates a __________ period of growth for Wal-Mart.
2. Sam is about to graduate with a degree in business and has plenty of energy, but is unsure ___________.
3. Right away, Sam looks for other store opportunities and drives to Fayetteville to find a store whose only competitor is _________.
4. Sam and Charlie create the _______ self-service style variety store in the country and the first one in the eight-state area.
5. Sam describes Phil as a man who not only likes to swim upstream but also that he likes to do it __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sam's appreciation for the dollar further ingrained?
2. Describe Sam's family.
3. What can Sam do now that he is out of debt?
4. What does Sam admit to thinking about throughout most of his life? Who uses Sam's ideas to benefit Wal-Mart? How does this person do this?
5. What is the one mistake for which Helen cannot forgive Sam? Why?
6. How do Sam and Helen feel about leaving Newport? What are their plans now?
7. What does Sam do when he is about to graduate from college?
8. Why is Ferold Arend hired? What does he do for Wal-Mart?
9. How does Sam's experience in football reflect his personality traits?
10. How does Sam encourage family togetherness? How does he also continue to obsess over business matters at the same time?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)