|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the consequences of the competition between Wal-Mart and Kmart?
(a) It is unusual and disturbing.
(b) It is one of the worst duals and weakens Wal-Mart.
(c) It is unremarkable and typical.
(d) It is one of the best duals and strengthens Wal-Mart.
2. What does Sam believe are what will continue to keep the customers coming back to shop at your store?
(a) A large inventory.
(b) Persuasive advertising.
(c) Low prices.
(d) Personal touches.
3. After Sam quasi-retired, financial analysts ___________.
(a) Publicly questioned a CEO who had stepped down from the leadership role.
(b) Publicly questioned a CEO that never steps down from the leadership role.
(c) Publicly questioned a CEO that would like to step down from the leadership role.
(d) Publicly questioned a CEO that could not really step down from the leadership role.
4. Many people have argued that Wal-Mart has done what to the small shops in rural towns?
(a) Destroyed them.
(b) Helped them.
(c) Competed with them.
(d) Encouraged them.
5. Sam explains the difference between Wal-Mart and a number of other potentially-profitable businesses is that _________.
(a) Sam always wanted to be famous.
(b) Sam always wanted to be wealthy.
(c) Sam always wanted to be the biggest retailer, not necessarily the best.
(d) Sam always wanted to be the best retailer, not necessarily the biggest.
6. The annual stockholders meeting is an extension of the Wal-Mart culture so that ____________.
(a) Sam can impress his investors.
(b) Investors can get a real taste for what the company is all about.
(c) Investors can work for Wal-Mart.
(d) Investors will want to invest more.
7. For what do Sam and his upper management team look in the smaller stores?
(a) Fun activities.
(c) Intelligent leaders.
(d) The heroes.
8. What takes place after Sam's return?
(a) The Sunday Night Massacre.
(b) The Saturday Night Massacre.
(c) The Sunday Morning Massacre.
(d) The Saturday Morning Massacre.
9. Sam suggests that if you want to be successful, you need to _______ to your own interests?
(a) Submerge them.
(b) Encourage them.
(c) Support them.
(d) Adhere to them.
10. With what is Sam greatly concerned?
(a) Tax evasion.
(d) Minority groups.
11. Sam eventually returns to Newport, Arkansas, and opens a Wal-Mart near ________.
(a) His father's home.
(b) His father's store.
(c) His old Ben Franklin variety store.
(d) His old home.
12. How can the meetings be described?
(a) As a waste of time.
(b) As democratic.
(c) As bureaucratic.
(d) As a joke.
13. Does Sam believe he is as hands-on as other managers?
14. When did Wal-Mart take on Kmart?
15. What is rule number ten?
(a) Be conservative.
(b) Follow the trends.
(c) Be ahead of the trends.
(d) Swim upstream. Go against the current. Experiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1974, Wal-Mart has how many stores?
2. What do each of the stores have to keep the mood at work exciting and refreshing?
3. What are a regular part of the Wal-Mart culture and partnership?
4. Sam has one motto that he repeats frequently in the book and to anyone who will listen to him. What is this motto?
5. Sam has plenty of money. What could he have bought?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)