|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Wal-Mart become a publicly-traded company?
(a) October 1, 1970.
(b) October 1, 1980.
(c) October 1, 1968.
(d) October 1, 1975.
2. In the beginning, why was Sam unable to pay the associates well?
(a) He had too many associates.
(b) He wanted to keep the money for himself.
(c) He did not think they deserved to be paid well.
(d) He was too cheap.
3. What did Sam have to do when the family was on vacation?
(a) He had to check out stores along the way.
(b) He had to promote his company.
(c) He had to deal with harrassing competition.
(d) He had to forget about work.
4. The reason that other stores fail is because ____________.
(a) They are looking out for themselves first.
(b) They do not have the funds that Wal-Mart has.
(c) They only care about their employees.
(d) They do not have Sam Walton.
5. With what announcement does Sam Walton start the book?
(a) He is a poor man.
(b) He is the happiest man in America.
(c) He is a proud man.
(d) He is the richest man in America.
6. Sam purchases ____________ that only travels about 100 miles an hour.
(a) A little plane.
(b) A bus.
(c) A helicopter.
(d) A little car.
7. Sam wants to learn more about IBM computers to _________.
(a) See what digital technology can do for Wal-Mart.
(b) Be ahead of the competition.
(c) Use computer technology just because he likes it.
(d) Be cool.
8. The one mistake that Helen cannot forgive Sam for _________________.
(a) Not becoming an insurance salesman.
(b) Not making enough money.
(c) Being a businessman.
(d) Letting the company go public and becoming the richest man in the country.
9. No matter how efficient or advanced their distribution center is or how great their technology might be, _______________are the real key to Wal-Mart's success.
(a) The Walton family members.
(b) The associates.
(c) The executives.
(d) The managers.
10. Sam's father, Thomas Gibson Walton, is a very hard worker who was later remembered for _____________.
(a) His wealth.
(b) His loving personality.
(c) His honesty and integrity.
(d) His quiet demeanor.
11. What does Sam admit was the biggest mistake of his business career?
(a) Purchasing this Kmart.
(b) Purchasing this Woolworth.
(c) Purchasing of a shopping center.
(d) Purchasing this Ben Franklin.
12. Sam believes that he was over-blessed with the traits of ____________.
(a) Love and kindness.
(b) Pride and jealousy.
(c) Understanding and empathy.
(d) Ambition and drive.
13. Has Wal-Mart always treated its employees as well as it should have?
(d) Only at first.
14. Does Sam worry about fluctuating stock prices?
15. Eventually, Arend will become Wal-Mart's first ___________.
(a) Chief executive of technology and later it president of operations.
(b) Manager of operations and later vice president of operations.
(c) Vice president of advertising and later it president of advertising.
(d) Vice president of operations and later its president of operations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helen want four children by the time she is thirty?
2. Do Sam's kids feel as though Sam was not around during their childhood?
3. Phil gets a great deal on a laundry detergent like Tide, and has 18 cases sent to his store and creates the world's largest display of detergents, stacking them almost __________ feet high?
4. The way the management treats its associates is exactly how they will treat who?
5. Why does Sam realize he must get a career job and accepts a job from JC Penney?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)