|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to its location, Wal-Mart can enjoy what kind of advertising?
(a) Expensive advertising.
(b) Word-of-mouth advertising among the townsfolk.
(c) Simple advertising.
(d) Poor advertising.
2. What have Sam and his employees mastered?
(a) Convincing towns to support a Wal-Mart.
(b) The art of deception.
(c) Many stores and the art of doing business with low expenses and low prices.
(d) Building the same stores all over the country.
3. No matter how efficient or advanced their distribution center is or how great their technology might be, _______________are the real key to Wal-Mart's success.
(a) The associates.
(b) The executives.
(c) The Walton family members.
(d) The managers.
4. Why does Wal-Mart share information with its associates?
(a) To force them to make decisions within the company.
(b) To convince them that Sam cares about them.
(c) To forge a greater partnership with them.
(d) To make them more responsible.
5. Sam was born in ___________.
(a) Tulsa, Oklahoma.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Kingfisher, Oklahoma.
(d) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
6. Sam enlists the help of Charlie Baum, whom he met ______________.
(a) While working with the Ben Franklin store.
(b) While in college.
(c) In high school.
(d) While working at JC Penney.
7. How does placing stores in these small areas affect advertising?
(a) It makes advertising more expensive.
(b) It makes advertising cheaper.
(c) It make advertising more sophisticated.
(d) It makes advertising more necessary.
8. What is the first thing Sam does?
(a) He establishes a warehouse.
(b) He makes friends with those who run the town.
(c) He sends his sons to investigate the town.
(d) He moves into the town.
9. Why is Ferold Arend hired?
(a) To be CEO of Wal-Mart.
(b) To improve the technology at Wal-Mart.
(c) To take over Sam's position.
(d) To push Wal-Mart into the best distribution center possible.
10. Helen had to help Sam sign the notes to secure all the money and by the time it was ready, what had happened?
(a) They had borrowed as much as they possibly could.
(b) They had spent all of their own money.
(c) They had decided to borrow money.
(d) They had borrowed some money.
11. Sam and Charlie create the _______ self-service style variety store in the country and the first one in the eight-state area.
12. Sam has the personality of _______________.
(a) A promoter.
(b) A clown.
(c) Santa Claus.
(d) A task master.
13. Sam would walk into some of the big discount retailers and ask to speak with their top executives, introducing himself as "Sam Walton from Bentonville." Why would he do this?
(a) To make friends.
(b) To let the competition know who he is.
(c) To pick their brains about how their operations were run.
(d) To get a job at one of these stores.
14. Eventually, Arend will become Wal-Mart's first ___________.
(a) Vice president of advertising and later it president of advertising.
(b) Manager of operations and later vice president of operations.
(c) Vice president of operations and later its president of operations.
(d) Chief executive of technology and later it president of operations.
15. Don Whitaker comes to the Wal-Mart organization from TG&Y. He is a hard-working and smart man who establishes a great philosophy for the company. What is this philosophy?
(a) Let's be number one. Let's be honest and hard-working.
(b) Let's do it now and do it right.
(c) Let's be quick and quiet.
(d) Let's be out front. Let's do it right. Let's get it done now and get on with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ is one store that expanded and had a distribution center that offered a superior product merchandise that Wal-Mart could offer their customers.
2. Back in the 1960s, with what was Sam more concerned, rather than quality?
3. It is due to _________ that the company has been able to outperform the competition?
4. Why does Sam buy a little bank in Bentonville?
5. They officially close the door on ___________.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)