|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ferold Arend's position prior to coming to Wal-Mart?
(a) He is the owner of a Midwest variety chain store.
(b) He is president of a Midwest variety chain store.
(c) He is a cashier at a Midwest variety chain store.
(d) He is head of merchandise for the whole Midwest for a variety chain store.
2. How do the children have just as high a stake in the family business as their parents?
(a) He gives each child money to spend or save.
(b) If he cannot earn enough money, neither do they.
(c) He makes every member of the family a partner in the family business.
(d) He threatens each child.
3. Sam and Charlie create the _______ self-service style variety store in the country and the first one in the eight-state area.
4. What does Sam do after the answer to number 88?
(a) He bribes the community counsel members into supporting his store.
(b) He encourages his new neighbors to support the building of a Wal-Mart.
(c) He pulls out a map, filling in every area in that market region.
(d) He runs the competition out of town.
5. What is the first thing Sam does?
(a) He sends his sons to investigate the town.
(b) He moves into the town.
(c) He makes friends with those who run the town.
(d) He establishes a warehouse.
6. After he and Helen marry, Sam aims to build his family financial structure similar to ____________.
(a) How his boss created his fortune.
(b) How the Robsons created their family fortune.
(c) How his father had created their family fortune.
(d) How other wealthy men had built their fortunes.
7. Sam's appreciation for the dollar is further ingrained when he meets ______________.
(a) His wife's father, L.S. Robson.
(b) His uncle, L.S. Robson.
(c) His wife.
(d) His first boss.
8. What does Sam do everywhere he travels?
(a) He has to fight the competition.
(b) He has to visit friends.
(c) He has to promote his business.
(d) He has to check out the competition.
9. Sam enlists the help of Charlie Baum, whom he met ______________.
(a) While working at JC Penney.
(b) In high school.
(c) While working with the Ben Franklin store.
(d) While in college.
10. Where are Sam and Bud when they seriously consider the idea of going public?
(a) At a Wal-Mart staff meeting.
(b) On vacation in Las Vegas.
(c) Quail hunting at the Robson ranch.
(d) At Sam's home.
11. He decides to run for the student body president and wins by doing one important move. What is that move?
(a) Blackmailing some of the student body.
(b) Recruiting followers.
(c) Bribing his fellow students with money or passing grades.
(d) He speaks to people before they speak to him.
12. When he is 14, Sam saves a boy from ____________.
(a) Starving to death.
(b) A wild boar.
(c) Getting hit by a car.
13. On what was Sam too focused?
(a) Being competitive.
(b) His managers.
(d) His executives.
14. Now that Sam is out of debt, he feels he can really concentrate on _________.
(a) Executing his strategy for running large discount stores.
(b) Spending time with his family.
(c) Changing the face of Wal-Mart.
(d) Considering retirement.
15. Sam wants to learn more about IBM computers to _________.
(a) Be cool.
(b) Be ahead of the competition.
(c) Use computer technology just because he likes it.
(d) See what digital technology can do for Wal-Mart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam and his brother Bud go into business together and purchase outright ______________.
2. Phil Green concocts __________.
3. This book is Sam's attempt to __________________.
4. Sam believes that he was over-blessed with the traits of ____________.
5. In the beginning, why was Sam unable to pay the associates well?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)