|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
2. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
3. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
4. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
5. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
2. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
3. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
4. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
7. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
8. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
9. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
10. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)