|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
2. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
3. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
4. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
5. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
2. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
3. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
4. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
5. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
6. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
9. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
10. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)