|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
2. What was the name of the land development with which Houston was involved?
3. In what year was Houston being strongly considered as a U.S. presidential candidate?
4. What major event did Houston refuse to attend?
5. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
2. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
3. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
4. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
5. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
6. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
7. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
8. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
9. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
10. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)