|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Texas Admission Act was passed in which year?
2. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
3. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
4. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
5. Houston started a plantation at which site?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
2. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
3. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
4. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
5. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
6. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
7. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
8. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
9. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
10. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)