|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
2. In 1862, after U.S. forces took over Houston's new area of residence, Houston moved his family to _____.
3. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
4. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
5. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
Essay Topic 1
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 3
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)