|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
2. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
3. What was the cause of death?
4. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
5. Part of Houston's plan was to remain cautious and _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
2. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
3. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
4. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
5. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
6. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
7. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
8. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
9. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
10. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)