|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the new president, the colonists also voted to support which of the following?
2. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
3. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
4. Which city did Houston to travel to in order to have an ankle operation?
5. Texas annexation was defeated in Congress in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
2. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
3. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
4. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
5. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
6. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
7. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
8. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
9. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
10. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Alamo and the involvement by key players Sam Houston, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna. Also examine how the Alamo was used.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)