|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
2. What was the cause of death?
3. Who won the election?
4. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
5. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
2. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
3. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
4. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
5. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
6. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
7. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
8. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
9. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
10. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)