|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was forced to take a stance on slavery. Houston's political position was _____.
2. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
3. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
4. What was the cause of death?
5. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
2. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
3. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
4. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
5. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
6. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
7. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
8. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
9. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
10. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)