|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was also outraged at the way the ______ had been treated.
2. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
3. In what year was Houston being strongly considered as a U.S. presidential candidate?
4. Burnet signed ___ treaties with Santa Anna.
5. The United States finally recognized Texas as a_____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
2. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
3. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
4. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
7. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
8. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
9. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
10. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presidential campaign between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson was bitter and vicious. Discuss the campaign. Who was John Quincy Adams' main supporter? Who was Andrew Jackson's main supporter? Why did some people say the election was rigged and corrupt? Who won the election? Was it a first or second term for the new president? What kind of physical toll did the campaign take on Jackson's personal life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Alamo and the involvement by key players Sam Houston, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna. Also examine how the Alamo was used.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)