|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
2. Houston started a plantation at which site?
3. What other Southern party objected to the person elected as president?
4. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
5. Who was leading this new trend?
Short Essay Questions
1. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
2. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
3. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
4. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
5. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
6. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
7. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
8. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
9. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
10. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Alamo and the involvement by key players Sam Houston, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna. Also examine how the Alamo was used.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)