|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
2. The group was opposed to which religion?
3. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
4. What was the name of the land development with which Houston was involved?
5. Where were the treaties signed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
3. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
4. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
5. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
6. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
7. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
8. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
9. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
10. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The presidential campaign between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson was bitter and vicious. Discuss the campaign. Who was John Quincy Adams' main supporter? Who was Andrew Jackson's main supporter? Why did some people say the election was rigged and corrupt? Who won the election? Was it a first or second term for the new president? What kind of physical toll did the campaign take on Jackson's personal life? Explain.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)