|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
2. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
3. Many people wanted Santa Anna's head on a platter for his involvement in the massacre at the Alamo and at ______.
4. The United States finally recognized Texas as a_____.
5. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
Essay Topic 2
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)