|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
2. Burnet signed ___ treaties with Santa Anna.
3. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
4. Aside from the neutral faction, people were either pro-slavery or pro-______.
5. What type of businesses did Houston put into place after assuming the presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
2. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
3. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
4. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
5. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
6. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
7. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
8. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
9. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
10. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)