|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of death?
2. The government repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1821 which set _______ regarding slavery.
3. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
4. Houston became increasingly concerned with the U.S. government's plans for _______.
5. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
Short Essay Questions
1. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
2. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
3. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
4. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
5. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
6. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
7. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
8. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
9. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
10. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)