|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
2. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
3. This move caused Houston to become what is known as a ______.
4. Houston was forced to take a stance on slavery. Houston's political position was _____.
5. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
3. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
4. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
5. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
6. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
7. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
8. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
9. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
10. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
Essay Topic 3
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)