|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston started a plantation at which site?
2. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
3. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
4. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
5. This move caused Houston to become what is known as a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
2. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
3. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
4. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
7. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
8. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
9. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
10. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 2
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 3
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)