|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1840 Houston went to ______ to claim his bride.
2. The United States finally recognized Texas as a_____.
3. Texas annexation was defeated in Congress in which year?
4. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
5. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
2. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
3. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
4. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
5. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
6. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
7. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
8. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
9. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
10. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)