|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
2. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
3. The group was opposed to which religion?
4. Despite Houston's disdain for the political party system, he was registered as a _____.
5. In regards to Indian relations, Houston implemented a plan to set up ranger stations and ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
2. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
3. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
4. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
7. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
8. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
9. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
10. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
Essay Topic 2
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)