|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite Houston's disdain for the political party system, he was registered as a _____.
2. As a measure of commitment, the legislators wanted people to take an oath of _____.
3. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
4. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
5. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)