|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
2. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
3. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
4. Houston was unforgiving because the man had wounded his _____.
5. Problems arose over Houston's policies considering that the ______ were anti-Indian.
Short Essay Questions
1. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
2. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
5. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
6. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
7. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
8. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
9. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
10. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)