|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
2. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
3. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
4. What were issued to some of the more hot-headed soldiers in the army?
5. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
2. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
3. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
4. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
5. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
6. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
7. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
8. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
9. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
10. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)