|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Texas Admission Act was passed in which year?
2. What was the cause of death?
3. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
4. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
5. In addition to the new president, the colonists also voted to support which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
2. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
3. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
4. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
7. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
8. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
9. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
10. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presidential campaign between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson was bitter and vicious. Discuss the campaign. Who was John Quincy Adams' main supporter? Who was Andrew Jackson's main supporter? Why did some people say the election was rigged and corrupt? Who won the election? Was it a first or second term for the new president? What kind of physical toll did the campaign take on Jackson's personal life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)