|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
2. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
3. Who was responsible for starting a skirmish with the Indian allies?
4. Houston was forced to take a stance on slavery. Houston's political position was _____.
5. What did Houston do after his term expired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
2. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
3. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
4. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
7. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
8. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
9. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
10. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)