|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
2. What was the cause of death?
3. The Texas Congress voted to join which party?
4. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
5. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
2. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
3. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
4. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
5. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
6. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
9. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
10. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)