|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Burnet's government at the time?
2. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
3. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
4. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
5. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
2. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
3. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
4. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
7. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
8. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
9. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
10. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)