|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
2. The act caused a great spike in Texas' _____.
3. In what year was Houston challenged by a Congressman?
4. The challenge came via a:
5. The legislation that caused the problem dealt with which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
4. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
5. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
6. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
7. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
8. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
9. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
10. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 3
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)