|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town in which Houston opened a school?
2. Houston was forced to flee to the ________ earning him mockery from the new president.
3. What did Houston do when he met the Congressman face to face?
4. In what year was Houston challenged by a Congressman?
5. What major event happened to the father in 1806?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
2. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
3. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
4. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
5. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
6. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
7. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
8. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
9. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
10. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson became friends shortly after Houston was wounded post-war in 1814. Discuss the meeting of the men and how they became friends. Compare and contrast Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson's personalities, military careers and political aspirations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)