|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country owned Mexico in the 1820s?
2. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
3. In what years did Mexico become a federal republic?
4. What was the name of Houston's new drinking buddy and travel companion?
5. Houston was ____ years older than his wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
2. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
3. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
4. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
5. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
6. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
7. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
8. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
9. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
10. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 2
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)