|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The provisional government was upset with Houston and believed he was being ____.
2. What was the position that Houston offered to the soldier?
3. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
4. Where did Houston go to meet up with old friends?
5. In 1819, Houston was awarded which prestigious job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
2. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
3. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
4. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
5. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
6. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
7. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
8. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
9. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
10. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 2
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)