Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
5. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)