|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
2. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
3. Texans were especially worried about the _____ in the Mexican government.
4. Houston received an appointment to serve as a _____ in the Tennessee militia.
5. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
2. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
3. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
4. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
5. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
6. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
7. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
8. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
9. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
10. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
Essay Topic 2
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
This section contains 2,126 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)