|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
2. What was the name of the general commissioned by the Mexican government to survey Texas?
3. Which country owned Mexico in the 1820s?
4. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
5. During Houston's confrontation with Santa Anna, 630 Mexicans were killed and ____ were captured.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
2. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
3. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
4. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
5. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
6. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
7. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
8. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
9. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
10. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 3
The presidential campaign between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson was bitter and vicious. Discuss the campaign. Who was John Quincy Adams' main supporter? Who was Andrew Jackson's main supporter? Why did some people say the election was rigged and corrupt? Who won the election? Was it a first or second term for the new president? What kind of physical toll did the campaign take on Jackson's personal life? Explain.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)