|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
2. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
3. What was the position that Houston offered to the soldier?
4. The volunteer militia, under the direction of Stephen Austin, took which city?
5. Texans were especially worried about the _____ in the Mexican government.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
2. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
3. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
4. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
5. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
6. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
7. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
8. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
9. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
10. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)