|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston settled near which river?
2. In what year was Sam Houston born?
3. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
4. Houston was forced to flee to the ________ earning him mockery from the new president.
5. What was the name of the Mexican general defeated by the militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
2. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
3. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
4. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
5. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
6. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
7. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
8. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
9. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
10. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 2
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 3
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
This section contains 2,129 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)