|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
2. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
3. The father held which rank in the Revolutionary Army?
4. What was the first name of Houston's grandfather?
5. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
2. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
3. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
4. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
5. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
6. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
7. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
8. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
9. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
10. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas' bid for statehood. There were many attempts to turn Texas into its own nation. There were also attempts to secede from the Union and to annex to the United States. Describe the activities that led up to the bid for statehood. Who proposed the action? Who was opposed? What was the process?
Essay Topic 2
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 3
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
This section contains 1,995 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)