Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
5. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 3
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)