|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Mexican general defeated by the militia?
2. What Indian word did Houston use to mean "house?"
3. What derogatory nickname was given to Houston by the Cherokee?
4. During the bitter presidential campaign Houston and a presidential partisan participated in which activity?
5. Where was the plantation located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
2. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
3. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
4. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
5. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
6. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
7. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
8. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
9. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
10. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
Essay Topic 2
There were many occasions when Houston was asked to be president of Texas. Houston was also considered to be a possible candidate for the presidency of the United States. Discuss the opinions of Houston's supporters. Who were they? Who were Houston's detractors? Why did people want Houston to run? What was Houston's reaction? Which offices did Houston campaign for and when? What eventually happened to Houston's presidential bids?
Essay Topic 3
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)