|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to mean incompetence?
2. Who lived fairly close to Houston at this time?
3. Houston married a half-Cherokee named:
4. Where was the plantation located?
5. In what year was Sam Houston born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
4. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
5. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
6. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
7. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
8. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
9. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
10. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)