|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
2. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
3. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
4. In what year was Andrew Jackson elected President?
5. Houston came from a family of nine children. What was Houston's number in the order of birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
2. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
3. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
4. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
5. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
6. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
7. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
8. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
9. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
10. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)