|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston came from a family of nine children. What was Houston's number in the order of birth?
2. What is the name of the town in which Houston opened a school?
3. Who was the man that was Speaker of the House and later appointed as the Secretary of State?
4. In what year was Sam Houston born?
5. Texans were especially worried about the _____ in the Mexican government.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
2. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
3. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
4. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
5. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
6. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
7. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
8. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
9. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
10. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
Essay Topic 1
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson became friends shortly after Houston was wounded post-war in 1814. Discuss the meeting of the men and how they became friends. Compare and contrast Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson's personalities, military careers and political aspirations.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 2,080 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)