Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
5. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)