|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was forced to relocate to which area?
2. What subject did Houston want to study at a "proper" academy?
3. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
4. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
5. What did Houston do when he met the Congressman face to face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
2. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
3. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
4. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
5. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
6. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
7. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
8. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
9. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
10. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 2
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)