|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state did Sam Houston live as a child?
2. Sam became friends with people from which tribe?
3. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
4. What was the name of the woman with whom Houston had a secret relationship?
5. What was the name of Houston's young wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
4. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
5. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
6. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
7. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
8. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
9. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
10. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
Essay Topic 3
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)