|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
2. What was the surname of the brothers responsible for declaring Texas as its own sovereign nation?
3. What was the position that Houston offered to the soldier?
4. What item did Houston begin to carry with him in town?
5. Which of the following left the expedition to return to the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
2. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
3. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
4. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
5. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
6. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
7. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
8. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
9. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
10. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 3
Create a detailed time line regarding Houston's political activities. Use complete descriptions, accomplishments, failures, etc.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)