|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1829, Houston became a member of which group?
2. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
3. What Indian word did Houston use to mean "house?"
4. Sam became friends with people from which tribe?
5. How many soldiers were left at the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
2. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
3. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
4. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
5. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
6. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
7. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
8. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
9. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
10. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)