|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Houston meet in this new town?
2. What was the name of the general commissioned by the Mexican government to survey Texas?
3. What was the position that Houston offered to the soldier?
4. What item did Houston begin to carry with him in town?
5. In what years did Mexico become a federal republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
4. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
5. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
6. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
7. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
8. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
9. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
10. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)