|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the grievances Houston would address was the fact that the government wanted to pay the Indians in paper money rather than:
2. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
3. During Houston's confrontation with Santa Anna, 630 Mexicans were killed and ____ were captured.
4. Houston was forced to relocate to which area?
5. Which of the following left the expedition to return to the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
2. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
3. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
4. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
5. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
6. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
7. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
8. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
9. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
10. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the revolution that took place in 1826. Who was involved in the revolution? Who started it? What was the purpose behind the battle? Where did it take place? What was the outcome? What changed after the revolution was over? Who benefitted the most?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)