|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Andrew Jackson elected President?
2. Houston was ____ years older than his wife.
3. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
4. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
5. On what holiday were Fannin and his men executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
2. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
3. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
4. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
5. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
6. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
7. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
8. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
9. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
10. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
This section contains 2,091 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)