|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
2. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
3. What major event happened to the father in 1806?
4. What word is used to mean incompetence?
5. What was the name of the general commissioned by the Mexican government to survey Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
2. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
3. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
4. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
5. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
6. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
7. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
10. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Houston held a great many offices in the military and the government. Discuss each of Houston's offices, when and where they were held, accomplishments and failures of each, predecessors and successors, and important political affiliates. Which positions were off limits to Houston due to certain laws? Explain. What was Houston's most important role? In which role was Houston most effective?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Alamo and the involvement by key players Sam Houston, Jim Bowie and Santa Anna. Also examine how the Alamo was used.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)