|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston rode to ____ to attempt to head off and halt the expedition team.
2. On what holiday were Fannin and his men executed?
3. In what year was Sam Houston born?
4. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
5. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
2. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
3. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
4. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
5. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
6. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
7. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
8. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
9. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
10. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin were two very powerful and influential men in Texas during the early 1800s. Examine the contributions of each to the blossoming territory. Compare and contrast Houston and Austin in regards to the contributions to the would-be state, diplomacy with the Mexicans, Anglo Texans, Tejanos and Comanche. Discuss the most important step taken by either man and how it affected the future of Texas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)