Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
5. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
Indian relations became a very large part of Houston's political career. Discuss the issues faced by the Cherokee. Why was Houston so enraged by these issues? Was Houston being true to his beliefs or simply being faithful to Chief Oo-loo-te-ka and his tribe? How did Houston's relationship with the Cherokee affect how he communicated with other tribes? Which promises did the US government break? What were the main problems faces by other tribes including the Comanche? How did Houston help the tribes? Explain.
The book discusses the Compromise of 1830. What was it? Why was it important? How did it change American history? What parties were involved in the Compromise? Discuss the pros and cons of the agreement. Which side fared the best? Explain? What steps were taken after the Compromise was put into place? How might things be different today if the Compromise of 1830 had not taken place?
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)