Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
5. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
7. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the war on Mexico. What prompted the war? When did it take place? What were its major battles? What were the concerns regarding Texas, Mexico, Great Britain and Spain? Which of the threats were most likely to come to fruition? What contingencies were planned for by Houston and others? How long did the war last? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)