|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man that was Speaker of the House and later appointed as the Secretary of State?
2. Who did Houston meet in this new town?
3. Austin traveled to central Mexico to meet with the acting president of Mexico Gomez ____.
4. What major event happened to the father in 1806?
5. Which Revolution took place in Texas in 1826?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
2. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
3. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
4. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
5. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
6. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
7. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
8. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
9. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
10. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail Houston's relationship with the Cherokee. When and where did they first meet? Why was Houston so fascinated by the tribe? Who became Houston's adopted father? How did the relationship change as Houston's career progressed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Unionists, Republicans, and Democrats. What were the main differences? Which was Houston? Which was Jackson? What was Houston's opinion on each party? Also compare the parties to today's existing parties. List their differences, changes in platform, goals, methods, etc.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)