|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
2. The father held which rank in the Revolutionary Army?
3. What was the name of the Mexican general defeated by the militia?
4. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
5. How long did it take Houston to get his license?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
4. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
5. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
6. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
7. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
8. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
9. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
10. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the arguments between Houston and Lamar. What were Houston's issues with the administration? What steps did Houston take to sabotage Lamar? Why was Houston so angry with Lamar? Why did Lamar continuously argue with Houston? How were the problems settled? Were the men ever able to come to an agreement on any issue? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the secession of Texas. Compare and contrast the efforts to secede in the early 1800s compared to efforts that took place at different times in American history. Did Texas ever secede? What was the purpose of the secession? How would it benefit Texas to secede? Who was in support of the movement? Who was against it? Who made the final decision? When was the decision made? What was the winning argument?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the first meeting between Sam Houston and Santa Anna. When and where did it take place? Why did Houston believe cooperation with Santa Anna was the only way Texas might be saved? What was supposed to happen upon their meeting? What happened? Did the meeting turn out as Houston had planned? What happened next? Also discuss future meetings between the two men.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)