|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of Houston's grandfather?
2. What major event happened to the father in 1806?
3. The Law of April 6, 1830 prohibited which of the following?
4. What type of business did Houston open in Arkansas?
5. The act caused a great spike in Texas' _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
2. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
3. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
4. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
5. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
6. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
7. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
8. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
9. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
10. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Texas in the 1820s. Who owned it? How was it colonized? Was the first colonization different from the second colonization? Explain. Also discuss the relationship between Texas and Mexico at this time. What were the differences between the Anglo Texans and the Tejanos? What prompted arguments between the two sides? Why were the Mexicans frightened by the Texans?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political process involved with the annexation of Texas to the United States. When did it happen? Who proposed the idea? Why was it important? Why did Texas choose to be affiliated with the US instead of Mexico? What part did President Tyler play in the process? What part did President Van Buren play in the process? What happened? How was a decision reached? When did Texas officially become part of the United States?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Houston's rapid descent from power. What caused Houston's downfall? Why did Houston go into exile? Where did Houston go and with whom? How long was Houston out of the public eye? What did Houston do during his time in exile? Explain.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)