|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the capital of Texas at this time?
(a) San Antonio.
(b) Fort Worth.
2. In what year did Andrew Jackson die?
3. Houston was content to remain in a non-executive role. Instead, unknown _____ was elected to the White House.
4. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
5. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
Short Answer Questions
1. The act issued _____ to each state.
2. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
3. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
4. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
5. What was the cause of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
2. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
3. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
4. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
5. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
6. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
7. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
8. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
9. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
10. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)