|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Houston do after his term expired?
(a) Opened a law practice.
(b) Ran for the Senate.
(c) Moved to Arkansas.
(d) Went back to school.
2. Where were the treaties signed?
(c) Mexico City.
3. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
4. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
(b) New Mexico.
5. The Texas congress voted in a person to take over Houston's seat in which entity?
(c) Inspector General.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burnet signed ___ treaties with Santa Anna.
2. Part of Houston's plan was to remain cautious and _____.
3. Houston was gravely concerned over which of the following?
4. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
5. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
2. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
3. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
4. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
5. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
6. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
7. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
8. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
9. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
10. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)