|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
2. In regards to Indian relations, Houston implemented a plan to set up ranger stations and ______.
(a) Trading posts.
(c) Immigration bureaus.
(d) Land offices.
3. The act issued _____ to each state.
(a) Unlimited land grants.
(b) Union support.
(c) Federal funds.
(d) Popular sovereignty.
4. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
5. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What government office was created at that time?
2. Which controversial act was passed in 1853?
3. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
4. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
5. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
2. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
3. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
4. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
5. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
6. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
7. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
8. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
9. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
10. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)