|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
(b) Attorney General's office.
2. Aside from the neutral faction, people were either pro-slavery or pro-______.
3. Houston started a plantation at which site?
(a) Raven's Hill.
(b) Sabine City.
(d) San Antonio.
4. What did Houston do after his term expired?
(a) Moved to Arkansas.
(b) Went back to school.
(c) Ran for the Senate.
(d) Opened a law practice.
5. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
2. What type of businesses did Houston put into place after assuming the presidency?
3. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
4. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
5. Houston was forced to take a stance on slavery. Houston's political position was _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
2. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
3. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
4. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
5. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
6. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
7. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
8. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
9. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
10. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)