|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The government repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1821 which set _______ regarding slavery.
(b) Geographical limits.
2. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
3. Houston was content to remain in a non-executive role. Instead, unknown _____ was elected to the White House.
4. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
5. Houston became increasingly concerned with the U.S. government's plans for _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
2. Houston was gravely concerned over which of the following?
3. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
4. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
5. Texas annexation was defeated in Congress in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
2. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
3. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
4. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
5. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
6. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
7. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
8. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
9. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
10. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)