|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Houston do after his term expired?
(a) Ran for the Senate.
(b) Went back to school.
(c) Opened a law practice.
(d) Moved to Arkansas.
2. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
(a) Bowie Town.
3. The group was opposed to which religion?
4. People tried to smuggle documents from Austin to Houston which created what was known as the _______ War.
5. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Mexican Manifesto.
(b) Anson Upshur Act.
(c) Wilmot Proviso.
(d) The Great Compromise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
2. Where Houston's main supporter die in a freak accident?
3. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
4. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
5. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
2. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
3. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
4. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
5. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
6. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
7. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
8. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
9. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
10. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)