|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The United States finally recognized Texas as a_____.
(c) Force to be reckoned with.
(d) Major contributor.
2. In what year was Houston being strongly considered as a U.S. presidential candidate?
3. What type of businesses did Houston put into place after assuming the presidency?
(a) Tax offices.
(b) Trading posts.
(d) Law offices.
4. What word is used to describe Burnet's government at the time?
5. Aside from the neutral faction, people were either pro-slavery or pro-______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston decided to play the U.S. against _____ in order to make both sides want to take over Texas.
2. Part of Houston's plan was to remain cautious and _____.
3. In what month did Houston return to Texas?
4. What were issued to some of the more hot-headed soldiers in the army?
5. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
2. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
3. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
4. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
5. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
6. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
7. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
8. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
9. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
10. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)