|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
2. In what year did Andrew Jackson die?
3. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
(a) Grand Canyon.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Colorado River.
(d) Blue Ridge Mountains.
4. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
(b) Bowie Town.
5. What major event did Houston refuse to attend?
(a) Presidential inauguration.
(b) Gubernatorial inauguration.
(c) Son's graduation.
(d) Democratic National Party Convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
2. What was the capital of Texas at this time?
3. In 1862, after U.S. forces took over Houston's new area of residence, Houston moved his family to _____.
4. Houston started a plantation at which site?
5. Many people wanted Santa Anna's head on a platter for his involvement in the massacre at the Alamo and at ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
2. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
3. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
4. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
7. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
8. Why was Houston against the Act in principle?
9. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
10. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)