|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who questioned Houston's loyalties?
2. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
(c) Van Zandt.
3. The Texas Congress voted to join which party?
4. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
(a) Colorado River.
(b) Blue Ridge Mountains.
(c) Grand Canyon.
(d) Rio Grande.
5. What was the cause of death?
(c) Food poisoning.
(d) Heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were issued to some of the more hot-headed soldiers in the army?
2. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
3. In 1840 Houston went to ______ to claim his bride.
4. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
5. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
2. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
3. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
4. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
7. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
8. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
9. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
10. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)