|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
(b) Green Party.
2. What was the capital of Texas at this time?
(a) Fort Worth.
(b) San Antonio.
3. What government office was created at that time?
(a) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) Treasury Department.
(c) General Land Office.
(d) Department of Peace.
4. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
(a) Blue Ridge Mountains.
(b) Colorado River.
(c) Rio Grande.
(d) Grand Canyon.
5. What was the name of the land development with which Houston was involved?
(a) Sabine City.
(b) Houston Heights.
(c) Jackson Terrace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
2. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
3. Where Houston's main supporter die in a freak accident?
4. Who was elected president in 1860?
5. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
2. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
3. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
4. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
5. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
6. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
7. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
8. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
9. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
10. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)