|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
(a) Van Zandt.
2. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
(c) Van Buren.
3. What type of businesses did Houston put into place after assuming the presidency?
(a) Law offices.
(b) Tax offices.
(c) Trading posts.
4. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
5. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was also outraged at the way the ______ had been treated.
2. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
3. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
4. People tried to smuggle documents from Austin to Houston which created what was known as the _______ War.
5. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
2. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
3. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
4. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
5. Discuss at least one of the main issues faced by Houston after he was elected to the Senate.
6. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
7. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
8. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
9. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
10. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)