|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
(c) Van Buren.
2. What term is used to describe the people whom Houston served?
3. Part of Houston's plan was to remain cautious and _____.
4. In addition to the new president, the colonists also voted to support which of the following?
(d) Foreign policy.
5. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
2. The Texas congress voted in a person to take over Houston's seat in which entity?
3. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
4. People tried to smuggle documents from Austin to Houston which created what was known as the _______ War.
5. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
Short Essay Questions
1. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
2. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
3. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
4. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
5. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
6. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
7. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
8. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
9. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
10. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)