|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
(c) Bowie Town.
2. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
3. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
4. What word is used that means to estrange or push away?
5. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which controversial act was passed in 1853?
2. Where were the treaties signed?
3. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
4. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
5. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
2. What is the Kansas Nebraska Act? What was its impact on North versus South?
3. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
4. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
5. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
6. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
7. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
8. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
9. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
10. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)