|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the land development with which Houston was involved?
(a) Jackson Terrace.
(b) Sabine City.
(d) Houston Heights.
2. Which controversial act was passed in 1853?
(a) Texas New Mexico Act.
(b) Kansas Nebraska Act.
(c) Compromise of 1853.
(d) Great Land Treaty.
3. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) The Great Compromise.
(b) Anson Upshur Act.
(c) Mexican Manifesto.
(d) Wilmot Proviso.
4. Where were the treaties signed?
(c) Mexico City.
5. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
(d) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
2. Problems arose over Houston's policies considering that the ______ were anti-Indian.
3. Many people wanted Santa Anna's head on a platter for his involvement in the massacre at the Alamo and at ______.
4. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
5. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the reasons Houston wanted to reestablish Houston as the capital city? What confrontation took place due to the decision?
2. Name at least two major issues confronting Houston in his new role as president.
3. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
4. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
5. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
6. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
7. An election was called. Who were the running mates? How was Houston involved? Who won the race?
8. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
9. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
10. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)