|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
(c) Rabble rouser.
(d) Trouble maker.
2. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
3. The government repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1821 which set _______ regarding slavery.
(a) Geographical limits.
4. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
(d) Green Party.
5. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which controversial act was passed in 1853?
2. Many people wanted Santa Anna's head on a platter for his involvement in the massacre at the Alamo and at ______.
3. Houston decided to play the U.S. against _____ in order to make both sides want to take over Texas.
4. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
5. In what month did Houston return to Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
2. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
3. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
4. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Explain the position of the United States government regarding statehood for Texas.
7. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
8. Examine the Southern mentality regarding the election of a Republican president.
9. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
10. Which policies of Houston's would further alienate his constituents and make him unpopular in Texas?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)