|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was the young woman when she met Houston?
2. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
(a) New Mexico.
3. The Texas congress voted in a person to take over Houston's seat in which entity?
(a) Inspector General.
4. Burnet signed ___ treaties with Santa Anna.
5. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was also outraged at the way the ______ had been treated.
2. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
3. Houston started a plantation at which site?
4. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
5. The Texas Congress voted to join which party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
2. There were two major actions taken by the Texas government at this time regarding property and fiscal debt. What were those actions?
3. Discuss Santa Anna's invasion of San Antonio. What step did Congress take next?
4. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
5. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
6. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
7. Discuss Houston's final act in the political arena.
8. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
9. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
10. Examine some of the issues that made Houston unpopular with the Texans. What was one of Houston's policies on which he would not budge?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)