|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Wilmot Proviso.
(b) Anson Upshur Act.
(c) Mexican Manifesto.
(d) The Great Compromise.
2. What government office was created at that time?
(a) Treasury Department.
(b) Department of Peace.
(c) General Land Office.
(d) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
3. Houston became increasingly concerned with the U.S. government's plans for _______.
4. In addition to the new president, the colonists also voted to support which of the following?
(a) Foreign policy.
5. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
(a) Attorney General's office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
2. Which controversial act was passed in 1853?
3. The Texas Admission Act was passed in which year?
4. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
5. What word is used that means to estrange or push away?
Short Essay Questions
1. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
2. What was the opinion of John Calhoun regarding annexation and slavery?
3. Why did Houston leave Texas at this time? What did he find when he returned?
4. What events occurred around the time annexation was approved by Congress?
5. Sensing that secession was inevitable, Houston took steps to prevent war. What were some of Houston's efforts?
6. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
7. Discuss at least two items mentioned in Houston's inaugural speech.
8. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
9. When and how did Houston make his return to the political limelight?
10. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)