|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Houston's family came from which state?
2. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
(b) Fort Sumter.
(c) Fort Erie.
(d) Rio Grande.
3. What major exam did Houston pass with the help of his mentor?
(b) Medical licensing.
(c) Federal agent application exam.
4. Who was the representative of the "War Hawks?"
5. The challenge came via a:
(a) Town meeting.
(b) Public speech.
(c) Campaign slogan.
(d) Newspaper article.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the grievances Houston would address was the fact that the government wanted to pay the Indians in paper money rather than:
2. The Law of April 6, 1830 prohibited which of the following?
3. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
4. What was the name of the general commissioned by the Mexican government to survey Texas?
5. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
2. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
3. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
4. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
5. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
6. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
7. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
8. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
9. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
10. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)