|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
(a) Vice President.
(b) Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(c) Secretary of War.
(d) Speaker of the House.
2. In what year was Houston challenged by a Congressman?
3. What was the name of the general commissioned by the Mexican government to survey Texas?
4. What was the name of the soldier Houston tried to recruit?
5. What was the name of Houston's new drinking buddy and travel companion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of Houston's father?
2. The provisional government was upset with Houston and believed he was being ____.
3. In 1829, Houston became a member of which group?
4. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
5. What was the name of the Congressman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
2. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
3. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
4. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
5. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
6. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
7. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
8. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
9. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
10. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)