|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Houston's confrontation with Santa Anna, 630 Mexicans were killed and ____ were captured.
2. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
(b) Campaign manager.
3. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
4. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
(a) Vice President.
(b) Secretary of War.
(c) Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(d) Speaker of the House.
5. Houston received an appointment to serve as a _____ in the Tennessee militia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers were left at the fort?
2. Who lived fairly close to Houston at this time?
3. What was Houston's drink of choice?
4. What type of business did Houston open in Arkansas?
5. What subject did Houston want to study at a "proper" academy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
2. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
3. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
4. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
5. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
6. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
7. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
8. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
9. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
10. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)