|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers were left at the fort?
2. The challenge came via a:
(a) Public speech.
(b) Town meeting.
(c) Newspaper article.
(d) Campaign slogan.
3. Houston was forced to relocate to which area?
(a) Rio Grande.
(d) San Antonio.
4. What item did Houston begin to carry with him in town?
(a) Bow and arrow.
(b) Hickory cane.
(c) Dueling pistol.
5. What word is used to mean incompetence?
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
2. What major exam did Houston pass with the help of his mentor?
3. In what years did Mexico become a federal republic?
4. Who was the representative of the "War Hawks?"
5. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
2. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
3. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
4. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
5. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
6. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
7. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
8. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
9. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
10. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)