|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
(b) Fort Sumter.
(c) Fort Erie.
(d) Rio Grande.
2. What major exam did Houston pass with the help of his mentor?
(a) Federal agent application exam.
(c) Medical licensing.
3. What was the name of the soldier Houston tried to recruit?
4. What was the name of Jackson's wife?
5. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1829, Houston became a member of which group?
2. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
3. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
4. The provisional government was upset with Houston and believed he was being ____.
5. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
2. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
3. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
4. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
5. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
6. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
7. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
8. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
9. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
10. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)