|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Revolution took place in Texas in 1826?
2. What was the name of Jackson's wife?
3. The challenge came via a:
(a) Town meeting.
(b) Public speech.
(c) Campaign slogan.
(d) Newspaper article.
4. Sam became friends with people from which tribe?
5. The legislation that caused the problem dealt with which of the following?
(b) Indian rations.
(c) Payment for services rendered.
(d) Political parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the bitter presidential campaign Houston and a presidential partisan participated in which activity?
2. Houston was ____ years older than his wife.
3. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
4. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
5. In 1819, Houston was awarded which prestigious job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
2. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
3. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
4. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
5. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
6. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
7. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
8. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
9. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
10. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)