|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Revolution took place in Texas in 1826?
2. In 1829, Houston became a member of which group?
(b) Bar Association.
(c) Sierra Club.
(d) Governors Association.
3. Houston was forced to relocate to which area?
(c) Rio Grande.
(d) San Antonio.
4. Sam Houston joined which branch of the military?
(c) Coast Guard.
5. The volunteer militia, under the direction of Stephen Austin, took which city?
(a) Forth Worth.
(b) San Antonio.
(c) San Jacinto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
2. On what holiday were Fannin and his men executed?
3. What famous act was passed in 1825 by the Mexican government?
4. Who did Houston meet in this new town?
5. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
Short Essay Questions
1. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
2. Discuss some of Houston's extracurricular activities away from the political landscape of Texas government.
3. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
4. Who were the Know-Nothings? What was their core belief? How did Houston view the party?
5. How did Houston play both sides of the fence in his bid to get the U.S. to approve annexation?
6. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
7. Where did the Houstons go after Sam left office? How was the Houston family still involved in the Civil War?
8. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
9. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
10. Discuss the ongoing conflict between Houston and Calhoun. The men continued to be on the opposite sides of which issue?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)