|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Revolution took place in Texas in 1826?
2. What famous act was passed in 1825 by the Mexican government?
(a) Annexation Act.
(b) Colonization Act.
(c) Immmigration Act.
(d) Transportation Act.
3. Houston received an appointment to serve as a _____ in the Tennessee militia.
4. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
(a) Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) Vice President.
(c) Secretary of War.
(d) Speaker of the House.
5. In what years did Mexico become a federal republic?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holiday were Fannin and his men executed?
2. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
3. The Law of April 6, 1830 prohibited which of the following?
4. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
5. What major exam did Houston pass with the help of his mentor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
2. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
3. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
4. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
5. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
6. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
7. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
8. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
9. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
10. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)