|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the plantation located?
2. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
3. Who did Houston meet in this new town?
(c) Santa Anna.
4. Who was the man that was Speaker of the House and later appointed as the Secretary of State?
5. Houston's next move was to which Tennessee town/city?
Short Answer Questions
1. Houston received an appointment to serve as a _____ in the Tennessee militia.
2. What famous act was passed in 1825 by the Mexican government?
3. In what year was Sam Houston born?
4. What was the name of Houston's young wife?
5. One of the grievances Houston would address was the fact that the government wanted to pay the Indians in paper money rather than:
Short Essay Questions
1. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
2. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
3. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
4. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
5. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
6. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
7. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
8. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
9. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
10. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)