|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major exam did Houston pass with the help of his mentor?
(b) Medical licensing.
(c) Federal agent application exam.
2. On what holiday were Fannin and his men executed?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) Fourth of July.
(d) Palm Sunday.
3. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
4. In 1827, Houston campaigned for and won which office in the Tennessee government?
(a) Secretary of State.
(b) Attorney General.
(d) Secretary of the Treasury.
5. The Law of April 6, 1830 also imposed duties on ________.
(b) Imports and exports.
(c) Land deeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Houston's drink of choice?
2. After the governor was deposed and eventually left office, who acted as president?
3. Austin traveled to central Mexico to meet with the acting president of Mexico Gomez ____.
4. Who served as Houston's mentor in law?
5. The volunteer militia, under the direction of Stephen Austin, took which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's bid for the presidency. List some of Houston's actions when he was elected president.
2. How did Houston's actions thwart his political career and ambitions?
3. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
4. Describe some of the issues being faced by the army at this time.
5. Examine ongoing battle regarding secession and how it affected the presidential election of 1852.
6. Explain some of the issues Houston had with Lamar's behavior and government policies.
7. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
8. The death of Abel Upshur was a hard hit for Houston's annexation plan. Who was Upshur?
9. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
10. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)