|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
2. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
3. In what year was Andrew Jackson elected President?
4. What type of business did Houston open in Arkansas?
(a) Trading post.
(b) Lumber mill.
(c) Tour guide service.
(d) Law practice.
5. In 1827, Houston campaigned for and won which office in the Tennessee government?
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Secretary of the Treasury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Houston's new drinking buddy and travel companion?
2. Which country owned Mexico in the 1820s?
3. The challenge came via a:
4. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
5. The volunteer militia, under the direction of Stephen Austin, took which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the big changes that took place in Texas in the early 1820s? What was the atmosphere at that time?
2. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
3. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
4. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
5. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
6. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
7. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
8. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
9. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
10. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)