|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Andrew Jackson elected President?
2. In 1819, Houston was awarded which prestigious job?
(a) Speaker of the House.
(b) Senior Senator.
(c) Majority Whip.
(d) Attorney General.
3. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. What was the name of Jackson's wife?
5. What famous act was passed in 1825 by the Mexican government?
(a) Immmigration Act.
(b) Transportation Act.
(c) Colonization Act.
(d) Annexation Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
2. Houston was forced to relocate to which area?
3. What was the name of Houston's young wife?
4. Austin traveled to central Mexico to meet with the acting president of Mexico Gomez ____.
5. Houston was ____ years older than his wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
2. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
3. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
4. Who was consulted on the relationship between the Texans and the Mexican government? Who did this person contact in order to get a better feel for what was happening in the region? What was reported to the colonists?
5. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
6. Examine the meeting between Houston and Andrew Jackson. How did Houston's relationship with Jackson change his life?
7. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
8. Describe the events of the Alamo massacre and the birth of the famous "Remember the Alamo!" slogan.
9. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
10. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)