|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
(a) Speaker of the House.
(b) Vice President.
(c) Secretary of War.
(d) Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
2. Houston settled near which river?
3. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
(a) Fort Erie.
(b) Rio Grande.
(d) Fort Sumter.
4. Who was elected to be president amidst a deadlock in the House?
5. What was the position that Houston offered to the soldier?
(a) Inspector General.
(b) Sergeant Major.
(c) General of the Infantry.
(d) Secretary of State.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man that was Speaker of the House and later appointed as the Secretary of State?
2. What was the first name of Houston's father?
3. Houston had a breakdown and left home. What is the word meaning to leave home and not return for a period of time?
4. Who did Houston meet in this new town?
5. Who lived fairly close to Houston at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Houston's return to Tennessee and his new law career.
2. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
3. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
4. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
5. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
6. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
7. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
8. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
9. Who did Houston become romantically involved with in 1829? What was the nature of the relationship? How did it end?
10. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)