|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Congressman?
2. In what year was Andrew Jackson elected President?
3. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
4. The challenge came via a:
(a) Public speech.
(b) Town meeting.
(c) Newspaper article.
(d) Campaign slogan.
5. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
(a) Fort Sumter.
(b) Fort Erie.
(c) Rio Grande.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam Houston became friends with _____, a future president.
2. During the bitter presidential campaign Houston and a presidential partisan participated in which activity?
3. Texans were especially worried about the _____ in the Mexican government.
4. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
5. Who was the representative of the "Peace Party?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
2. Explain the confrontation between Austin and Mexican General Cos. What was the result of the conflict? What was Houston's opinion?
3. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
4. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
5. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
6. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
7. When did Houston become a member of the Cherokee Nation? What did Houston do to try and help his adopted family? List at least one of the grievances addressed by Houston.
8. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
9. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
10. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)