|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
(a) Vice President.
(b) Director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(c) Speaker of the House.
(d) Secretary of War.
2. Where did Houston go to meet up with old friends?
(d) Washington, DC.
3. Houston was ____ years older than his wife.
4. Sam became friends with people from which tribe?
5. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
(b) Campaign manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
2. What was the surname of the brothers responsible for declaring Texas as its own sovereign nation?
3. The Law of April 6, 1830 also imposed duties on ________.
4. Houston was asked to meet with the leader of which tribe?
5. In which state did Sam Houston live as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Houston's early years as a politician. Who did Houston support? Who did Houston meet due to his political work?
2. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
3. What did Houston learn after arriving at his new destination? How did Houston offer to help his hosts?
4. What was Sam Houston's background? Where were his people from and where did they settle?
5. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
6. Mexico found it necessary to take certain steps to keep Texas under Mexican authority. What was the plan to keep control of Texas? Who was involved in the scheme?
7. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
8. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
9. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
10. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)