|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The militia planned to make a pillage run into which Mexican town/city?
(c) Mexico City.
2. Houston received an appointment to serve as a _____ in the Tennessee militia.
3. Houston settled near which river?
4. One of the grievances Houston would address was the fact that the government wanted to pay the Indians in paper money rather than:
5. How long did it take Houston to get his license?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 12 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the governor of Texas during this time period?
2. Sam became friends with people from which tribe?
3. What important position was held by John Calhoun?
4. What was the name of the Mexican general defeated by the militia?
5. Houston set up headquarters in what area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
2. Discuss the confrontation between Houston and Congressman William Stanbery. What caused the confrontation? What was the outcome?
3. Explain the Matamoros expedition, Houston's position, and the outcome of the plan.
4. What steps did the militia take next regarding the offense against Mexico? Who was left behind?
5. Examine Houston's relationship and agreement with James Prentiss.
6. What did Jackson ask Houston to do in this new position? How did Houston handle the situation?
7. What was the first outward sign of rebellion? Who prompted the bid for creating Texas as its own sovereign nation? Who was against the proposition?
8. How were the colonists split regarding the stalemate between Texas and Mexico? Who was involved? What measures did Houston take to win in favor of Texas?
9. Discuss the political turmoil surrounding the election of John Quincy Adams. What was Houston's next step in the campaign arena?
10. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)