|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Austin traveled to central Mexico to meet with the acting president of Mexico Gomez ____.
2. In 1819, Houston was awarded which prestigious job?
(a) Speaker of the House.
(b) Attorney General.
(c) Senior Senator.
(d) Majority Whip.
3. Who was the man that was Speaker of the House and later appointed as the Secretary of State?
4. The volunteer militia, under the direction of Stephen Austin, took which city?
(b) San Antonio.
(c) Forth Worth.
(d) San Jacinto.
5. What was the name of Houston's new drinking buddy and travel companion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Houston begin to carry with him in town?
2. Which Revolution took place in Texas in 1826?
3. What was Houston's drink of choice?
4. Houston worked for Jackson in which unofficial capacity?
5. There were many cultural differences between the Anglo Texans and the ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the state of the governorship at this time.
2. Discuss Houston's childhood. What was Houston like as a child? What was his strongest subject in school?
3. Discuss Houston's early military career. When did Houston join the military? What was his rank? In which battle was Houston wounded? Where was he wounded?
4. What position did Houston accept in 1819? Who was responsible for getting Houston the job?
5. Examine Houston's first encounter with the Cherokee. Who became Houston's mentor? What did Houston learn from the mentor?
6. Where did Houston go after leaving Tennessee? Who was Houston's traveling companion?
7. What parties were involved in protecting the Alamo, discouraging the expedition, and defending the expedition?
8. Where did Houston decide to settle upon his return to Arkansas? Also discuss his marriage to Tiana and why it was unusual.
9. What caused Houston to leave the House of Representatives? What position did Houston achieve?
10. What event gave the Texans power to go to the Mexican government with a list of demands? Who presented the demands to the government? Describe at least two items that were on the list and how the Mexican government responded to them.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)