|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aside from the neutral faction, people were either pro-slavery or pro-______.
2. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Anson Upshur Act.
(b) Mexican Manifesto.
(c) The Great Compromise.
(d) Wilmot Proviso.
3. The United States finally recognized Texas as a_____.
(b) Major contributor.
(c) Force to be reckoned with.
4. Houston was also outraged at the way the ______ had been treated.
5. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
(a) Bowie Town.
6. What did Houston do after his term expired?
(a) Opened a law practice.
(b) Ran for the Senate.
(c) Moved to Arkansas.
(d) Went back to school.
7. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
8. Who was responsible for starting a skirmish with the Indian allies?
9. Houston started a plantation at which site?
(a) Sabine City.
(c) San Antonio.
(d) Raven's Hill.
10. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
11. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
12. What was the capital of Texas at this time?
(a) Fort Worth.
(d) San Antonio.
13. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
14. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
(c) Attorney General's office.
15. The group was opposed to which religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
2. This move caused Houston to become what is known as a ______.
3. What government office was created at that time?
4. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
5. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)