|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
2. Houston was gravely concerned over which of the following?
(a) Traveling to Washington, DC.
(b) Establishing a government seat.
(d) The border with Mexico.
3. Where did Houston travel to promote the land development?
4. What word is used that means to estrange or push away?
5. Who was responsible for starting a skirmish with the Indian allies?
6. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
(d) Green Party.
7. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
(c) Short sighted.
8. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Wilmot Proviso.
(b) Anson Upshur Act.
(c) The Great Compromise.
(d) Mexican Manifesto.
9. What government office was created at that time?
(a) Treasury Department.
(b) Department of Peace.
(c) General Land Office.
(d) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
10. Who won the election?
11. What did Houston do after his term expired?
(a) Went back to school.
(b) Opened a law practice.
(c) Moved to Arkansas.
(d) Ran for the Senate.
12. As a measure of commitment, the legislators wanted people to take an oath of _____.
13. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
14. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
(a) Van Buren.
15. Who was leading this new trend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected president in 1860?
2. The Texas Congress voted to join which party?
3. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
4. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
5. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)