|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
2. What were issued to some of the more hot-headed soldiers in the army?
(a) Government positions.
(b) New assignments.
3. Houston was gravely concerned over which of the following?
(b) Establishing a government seat.
(c) Traveling to Washington, DC.
(d) The border with Mexico.
4. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Wilmot Proviso.
(b) The Great Compromise.
(c) Mexican Manifesto.
(d) Anson Upshur Act.
5. Who won the election?
6. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
7. The government repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1821 which set _______ regarding slavery.
(d) Geographical limits.
8. What word is used that means to estrange or push away?
9. Despite Houston's efforts to quash another expedition, Lamar wanted to send an expedition to _____.
(c) Santa Fe.
10. Which of the following was not a candidate for the Texas presidency?
11. What major event did Houston refuse to attend?
(a) Presidential inauguration.
(b) Son's graduation.
(c) Gubernatorial inauguration.
(d) Democratic National Party Convention.
12. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
13. Despite Houston's disdain for the political party system, he was registered as a _____.
14. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
15. Houston believed that his latest plan would reduce hostilities from the Indians beginning in which year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
2. The Texas congress voted in a person to take over Houston's seat in which entity?
3. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
4. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
5. Where were the treaties signed?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)