|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
2. The Compromise of 1850 was presented by which political heavyweight?
3. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 years.
4. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
5. Where Houston's main supporter die in a freak accident?
(a) In his car.
(b) Aboard a warship.
(c) At his home.
(d) In an Indian raid.
6. Aside from the neutral faction, people were either pro-slavery or pro-______.
7. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
8. Houston learned that Lamar had reneged on turning over promised _____.
9. In what year did Houston die?
10. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
(a) New Mexico.
11. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
(d) Van Buren.
12. People began to realize that Houston was not as ______ as was once thought.
(a) Short sighted.
13. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Anson Upshur Act.
(b) The Great Compromise.
(c) Wilmot Proviso.
(d) Mexican Manifesto.
14. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
(a) Public parks.
(b) Small businesses.
15. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served as the Secretary of State in that administration?
2. Which of the following was not a candidate for the Texas presidency?
3. Many people wanted Santa Anna's head on a platter for his involvement in the massacre at the Alamo and at ______.
4. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
5. Burnet signed ___ treaties with Santa Anna.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)