|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
(a) Small businesses.
(b) Public parks.
2. What term is used to describe the people whom Houston served?
3. Problems arose over Houston's policies considering that the ______ were anti-Indian.
(b) Anglo Texans.
4. Houston was unforgiving because the man had wounded his _____.
5. What other Southern party objected to the person elected as president?
6. What were issued to some of the more hot-headed soldiers in the army?
(a) Government positions.
(b) New assignments.
7. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
(b) Attorney General's office.
8. The Texas congress voted in a person to take over Houston's seat in which entity?
(a) Inspector General.
9. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
(b) Nation status.
(c) Relief from taxation.
10. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
(b) Van Zandt.
11. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Mexican Manifesto.
(b) The Great Compromise.
(c) Anson Upshur Act.
(d) Wilmot Proviso.
12. The Southerners stated that if the public elected a ____ as president, there would be war.
13. The couple had a son, Sam, Jr. who was born on May 25, _____.
14. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
15. The Texas Admission Act was passed in which year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1862, after U.S. forces took over Houston's new area of residence, Houston moved his family to _____.
2. The Mexicans claimed that the true border between Texas and Mexico was the _______.
3. In what year was Houston being strongly considered as a U.S. presidential candidate?
4. What word is used that means to estrange or push away?
5. Houston became concerned regarding the territory known as ______.
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)