|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1840 Houston went to ______ to claim his bride.
2. Which of the following was not a candidate for the Texas presidency?
3. Who took the man's place as the new Secretary of State?
4. What government office was created at that time?
(a) Department of Peace.
(b) Treasury Department.
(c) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(d) General Land Office.
5. The group was opposed to which religion?
6. What major event did Houston refuse to attend?
(a) Gubernatorial inauguration.
(b) Presidential inauguration.
(c) Son's graduation.
(d) Democratic National Party Convention.
7. What is the word used for people that are willing to take almost any action to support their party?
(a) Rabble rouser.
(b) Trouble maker.
8. In addition to the new president, the colonists also voted to support which of the following?
(c) Foreign policy.
9. Houston was gravely concerned over which of the following?
(a) Establishing a government seat.
(b) The border with Mexico.
(d) Traveling to Washington, DC.
10. When Houston returned to Texas he discovered that he had been elected to which of the following?
(d) Attorney General's office.
11. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
12. In what year did Houston make another bid for the governorship of Texas?
13. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
14. Where Houston's main supporter die in a freak accident?
(a) Aboard a warship.
(b) At his home.
(c) In his car.
(d) In an Indian raid.
15. Who served as Texas' minister to Washington?
(a) Van Zandt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was leading this new trend?
2. Houston started a plantation at which site?
3. Which city did Houston to travel to in order to have an ankle operation?
4. In what year did Andrew Jackson die?
5. The government repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1821 which set _______ regarding slavery.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)