|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Houston's allies was elected as president after Houston's term ended?
2. Houston decided to play the U.S. against _____ in order to make both sides want to take over Texas.
(d) Great Britain.
3. What was the name of the act that determined slavery should be forbidden in any state taken from Mexico?
(a) Mexican Manifesto.
(b) Anson Upshur Act.
(c) Wilmot Proviso.
(d) The Great Compromise.
4. Houston was content to remain in a non-executive role. Instead, unknown _____ was elected to the White House.
5. What government office was created at that time?
(a) General Land Office.
(b) Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(c) Treasury Department.
(d) Department of Peace.
6. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
(a) Van Buren.
7. What was the length of Houston's term as president?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
8. Who was responsible for starting a skirmish with the Indian allies?
9. Houston promised the people that funds would be made available for schools and _____.
(a) Small businesses.
(d) Public parks.
10. Despite Houston's efforts to quash another expedition, Lamar wanted to send an expedition to _____.
(d) Santa Fe.
11. At this time the U.S. was under the ____ administration.
(a) Van Buren.
12. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
13. What is the word used when Houston called the public to vote on a major issue?
14. In what year was Houston being strongly considered as a U.S. presidential candidate?
15. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
2. Houston continued to preach against which of the following?
3. Houston learned that Lamar had reneged on turning over promised _____.
4. Houston lamented the disappearance of many of the policies put into place by _____.
5. Which of the important leaders died suddenly?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)