|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was elected president in 1860?
(b) Van Buren.
2. Despite Houston's disdain for the political party system, he was registered as a _____.
3. Who won the election?
4. As a measure of commitment, the legislators wanted people to take an oath of _____.
5. Against the popular attitude of the South, Houston craved _____.
6. What was the name of the Commodore in charge of the Texas navy?
7. Who was responsible for starting a skirmish with the Indian allies?
8. What did Houston request of the U.S. government?
(a) Nation status.
(c) Relief from taxation.
9. As the city of Houston became a dangerous place, Houston moved his family to which location?
(a) San Antonio.
(b) Sante Fe.
10. Despite Houston's efforts to quash another expedition, Lamar wanted to send an expedition to _____.
(c) Santa Fe.
11. A town was created in honor of the new president. What was the name of the town?
(c) Bowie Town.
12. Houston was eager to right some of the wrongs created under _____.
(b) Van Buren.
13. What type of businesses did Houston put into place after assuming the presidency?
(b) Trading posts.
(c) Tax offices.
(d) Law offices.
14. What major event did Houston refuse to attend?
(a) Son's graduation.
(b) Gubernatorial inauguration.
(c) Presidential inauguration.
(d) Democratic National Party Convention.
15. What was the name of the new political party that emerged at this time?
(d) Green Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Houston die?
2. Houston became alarmed when he noticed that many people were leaning toward which of the following?
3. What other Southern party objected to the person elected as president?
4. Houston was also outraged at the way the ______ had been treated.
5. What was the name of the young woman Houston met while on this trip?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)