|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Mexican general defeated by the militia?
2. What was the name of Houston's new drinking buddy and travel companion?
3. In which state did Sam Houston live as a child?
(d) North Carolina.
4. Which of the following left the expedition to return to the fort?
5. The legislation that caused the problem dealt with which of the following?
(b) Indian rations.
(c) Payment for services rendered.
(d) Political parties.
6. In 1819, Houston was awarded which prestigious job?
(a) Majority Whip.
(b) Senior Senator.
(c) Attorney General.
(d) Speaker of the House.
7. What Indian word did Houston use to mean "house?"
8. Houston's family came from which state?
9. In what year was Houston challenged by a Congressman?
10. In what year was Houston elected to the House of Representatives?
11. What was the first name of Houston's grandfather?
12. What was the name of the other party involved in the questionable legislation?
13. Which country owned Mexico in the 1820s?
(d) Great Britain.
14. In 1827, Houston campaigned for and won which office in the Tennessee government?
(a) Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of State.
15. Houston was forced to flee to the ________ earning him mockery from the new president.
(a) Gulf of Mexico.
(b) Pacific Ocean.
(c) Cold Creek River.
(d) Colorado River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the woman with whom Houston had a secret relationship?
2. One of the grievances Houston would address was the fact that the government wanted to pay the Indians in paper money rather than:
3. Austin traveled to central Mexico to meet with the acting president of Mexico Gomez ____.
4. In which year did Sam Houston resign from military service?
5. The militia left a small group of soldiers at which fort?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)