Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 Abstract
* Sam Houston, born in 1793, was the fifth of nine children.
* Sam Houston was descended from Scottish-Irish immigrants from Pennsylvania.
* Houston's, John Houston, owned the Timber Ridge plantation in Virginia.
* Houston's father, Samuel, was a major in the Revolutionary Army.
* In 1806, Samuel was bankrupt, prompting him to sell Timber Ridge.
Chapter 2 Abstract
* Samuel died in...
This section contains 1,713 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)