|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 3, as Alfred prepares to work around the clock until the ship sails, what is the temperature?
2. How far is Kiel from Denmark?
3. What name is on Emilia's identification papers in Section 3?
4. In Section 3, where is the Gustloff going to be sailing to?
5. In Section 4, how does Joana say that her uncle died?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 3, why does Eva not register with the rest of the group?
2. In Section 4, why does Joana say that she is a murderer?
3. In Section 3, what does KdF mean and what is its purpose?
4. What does Alfred do when a sailor tells him to get a coat if he can find one?
5. In Section 4, after the torpedo hits, what happens to a little girl in the music room?
6. In Section 4, what instructions does Dr. Wendt give Joana?
7. In Section 3 as Joana leaves the movie house with Emilia, what does she see as she walks toward the ship?
8. In Section 3, what does Joana see when she looks in a mirror after Dr. Richter suggests that she clean up?
9. In Section 3, how does Emilia remember becoming pregnant?
10. In Section 4, what does Florian think might help him leave the ship without getting arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several references to birth in the novel. How does the author develop the theme of birth and the ability of birth to take place even in difficult situations?
Essay Topic 2
Florian and Joana feel guilt for things they have done, but Alfred feels no guilt for revealing that Hannelore’s father is Jewish. How does guilt affect various characters, and how does guilt not affect people in proportion to the guilt they should or should not feel?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)