|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 2, where does Emilia hit the German soldier when she shoots?
2. In Section 1, when does Joana remember Germany invading Russia?
3. In Section 1, where do Joana and her group decide to settle for the night?
4. In Section 2, what is the name of a friend that Florian had who died in service?
5. In Section 1, how many are in Joana's group of refugees?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 2, why might it be a problem for Ingrid to cross the ice?
2. In Section 1, how does Joana think she is like a blind girl?
3. In Section 2, what does Joana see as they approach the manor house?
4. In Section 2, what is the story of the song "Lili Marleen"?
5. In Section 2, how does Florian think that the family of the manor house died?
6. In Section 2, what happens as Ingrid crosses the ice?
7. In Section 1, why did Emilia think that Florian would want nothing to do with her after he killed the Russian?
8. In Section 1, what does Joana notice when Florian and Emilia come into the barn where Joana's group is staying?
9. In Section 1, what does Joana tell about her story as she removes the shrapnel from Florian?
10. How did a six-year-old boy come to travel with Joana and her group in Section 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sea claims many lives when the ship is torpedoed. How does the sea represent the battle between humans and the elements and the struggle to survive?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters are being deceptive. How and why do characters use deception, and when is the deception practiced by characters a survival tactic?
Essay Topic 3
Florian’s father told him that he was a traitor. Why did Florian’s father tell him that he was a traitor, and in what way was Florian a traitor?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)