|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 1, from where did Joana flee?
2. In Section 1, where does Florian go to hide?
3. In Section 2, what does Alfred say was the most recent use of the Gustloff?
4. In Section 1, what color sweater does Alfred remember Hannelore wearing?
5. In Section 1, what does the shoemaker say killed the woman Joana found dead in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 2, how does Florian think that the family of the manor house died?
2. In Section 2, what is the story of the song "Lili Marleen"?
3. In Section 2, what happens as Ingrid crosses the ice?
4. In Section 2, how does Joana plan to get Emilia across the ice and past the soldiers and checkpoints?
5. In Section 2, what does Joana see as they approach the manor house?
6. In Section 2, how does Emilia describe the crossing of the ice?
7. In Section 1, why did Emilia think that Florian would want nothing to do with her after he killed the Russian?
8. In Section 1, what does Joana say about the war and what has been happening for the last four years?
9. In Section 2, what amenities does Alfred describe of the Gustloff?
10. In Section 2, what is the Amber Room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alfred subscribed wholeheartedly to Hitler’s philosophies and the Nazi party line. In what ways is Alfred a role model for the Nazi regime?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters are being deceptive. How and why do characters use deception, and when is the deception practiced by characters a survival tactic?
Essay Topic 3
Characters struggle with internal and external conflicts. How do various characters face the conflicts they encounter, and how do the conflicts reveal character traits?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)