|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 1, what food does Emilia give Florian after he killed the Russian soldier?
2. In Section 2, what does the Shoe Poet use to help arthritis in his knee?
3. In Section 2, what food is left from dinner in the manor house that the group finds?
4. In Section 1, where does Joana learn that Emilia is from?
5. In Section 1, where is Emilia hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 1, how does the shoe poet say that a frozen woman that Joana's group passes died?
2. In Section 1, how many horses do Joana's group have and why?
3. In Section 2, how does Emilia describe the crossing of the ice?
4. In Section 2, what amenities does Alfred describe of the Gustloff?
5. In Section 2, how does Florian describe Dr. Lange's daughter?
6. In Section 2, why does Joana say that Florian and Emilia should travel with the group?
7. In Section 2, why might it be a problem for Ingrid to cross the ice?
8. In Section 1, why did Emilia think that Florian would want nothing to do with her after he killed the Russian?
9. In Section 1, what does Emilia remember doing with her mother?
10. In Section 1, how does Joana think she is like a blind girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sea claims many lives when the ship is torpedoed. How does the sea represent the battle between humans and the elements and the struggle to survive?
Essay Topic 2
Art symbolizes creativity and value in the novel. How does art symbolize creativity and value in the novel, and how does the author show that symbolism by the endurance of art?
Essay Topic 3
There are several references to birth in the novel. How does the author develop the theme of birth and the ability of birth to take place even in difficult situations?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)