Section 1: Pages 1-69.
• Joana, Florian, Emilia and Alfred are introduced as the narrators in the first four chapters of the book.
• Joan begins her section saying that “Guilt is a hunter” (1).
• She is traveling with a group fleeing from the Russians.
• Joana fled from Lithuania in 1941.
• They pass a mound on the side of the road, and the six-year-old boy who joined them a few days ago points.
• He appeared out of the woods and said that he was traveling with his grandmother, who did not wake up one morning.
• He has been with the group ever since.
• The mound is a young woman who has frozen to death.
• Joana takes the woman’s identification papers and plans to give them to the Red Cross.
• Florian thinks that “Fate is a hunter” (3) as he is hiding in the trees.
• Though he is German, he is fleeing both the...
This section contains 3,157 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)