|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the hospital to kill Matt Burke in Chapter 14?
2. Why does Mark go to the cellar?
3. Why does this character return to Jerusalem's Lot in Chapter 15?
4. What does Mark tell his parents about the commotion in his room?
5. Who blesses this creation? Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wakes to find her child dead in the beginning of Chapter 10? What is this person's reaction?
2. What happens to Mark and Susan when they enter the Marsten House?
3. Who does Ben bury in the backyard of the Petrie house? Why?
4. What is in the scrapbook Ben has kept since leaving Jerusalem's Lot?
5. Why do Ben and Mark return to Jerusalem's Lot?
6. Who calls Susan with bad news later that same afternoon?
7. Who does Father Callahan fight at the Petrie home? Why does he lose? What does this fight cause to happen to Father Callahan?
8. Who goes to the Marsten House? What do they find there?
9. What does Mark Petrie tell Ben? What do they find while taking a drive?
10. What do Franklin Bodden and Virgil Rathburn find when they visit the dump in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jerusalem's Lot. What is this town like in the beginning of the novel? Compare and contrast Jerusalem's Lot to other towns in the country, or to your hometown. How is Jerusalem's Lot like any other American city? How is it different? What changes in Jerusalem's Lot over the course of the novel? What made Jerusalem's Lot vulnerable to this change? Is Jerusalem's Lot unique in this vulnerability? Could something like this happen in your hometown? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in a detailed essay, including evidence from the novel:
1) Symbolism in regards to the class ring Susan finds in Matt's house.
2) Theme in regards to the abuse perpetrated against the infant Randy McDougall.
3) Foreshadowing in regards to the relationship between Susan and Floyd at the time Susan begins seeing Ben.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Larry Crockett. Who is Larry Crockett? Why does Crockett sell the Marsten House? What makes Crockett uneasy about this sale? Why does he complete the sale anyway? What does Crockett get out of the sale? What does this say about his character? Would the invasion of the vampires in Jerusalem's Lot have been possible without Larry Crockett? Why or why not? What eventually happens to Crockett? Is this fate deserved?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)