|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Callahan think of the patient's story at first?
2. Who does Susan speak to in the waiting room after visiting Ben in the hospital?
3. Where does Susan decide to go in Chapter 11 by herself?
4. Why does Mark go to the cellar?
5. Who does Father Callahan go to see in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Susan while Mark is being held prisoner upstairs? Does Mark attempt to rescue her? What happens to Susan?
2. How does Mark escape from the rope with which Straker has tied him? How does Mark escape Straker?
3. What does Susan hear at Matt's house while Matt is checking on a strange noise in the guest room of his house? What does Susan later find in the guest room?
4. Who comes to visit Matt Burke in Chapter 13?
5. What does Ben make a crucifix out of? What does this crucifix symbolize?
6. Who wakes to find her child dead in the beginning of Chapter 10? What is this person's reaction?
7. What does Matt ask Father Callahan to do as a result of their conversation? Why?
8. What is in the scrapbook Ben has kept since leaving Jerusalem's Lot?
9. Why does Ben return to Jerusalem's Lot after having escaped the vampires the day before?
10. With whom does Susan argue in the beginning of Chapter 9? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss foreshadowing. How is the arrival of the vampires foreshadowed in the beginning of this novel? How does the childhood prank pulled on Ben Mears foreshadow his return to Jerusalem's Lot? How does the death of Ben's wife foreshadow Ben's act of murder against Susan? Discuss how Susan's relationship with Floyd Tibbits foreshadows the altercation between him and Ben.
Essay Topic 2
What is evil? Does evil exist? What makes the Marsten House evil? Is the Marsten House evil before Hubert Marsten kills his wife? Why or why not? Did Hubert Marsten kill the four missing children who disappeared before his death? If so, how? If so, why? Why did Marsten kill his wife? Why did Marsten kill himself? Did these deaths cause evil to remain in Marsten House? Did Barlow have something to do with these deaths? Is this the reason Barlow chose the Marsten House for himself to live in?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of these themes in a detailed essay, using examples from the novel:
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)