|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben tell Matt the subject of his new book is about?
2. Who did Ben see when he entered the Marsten House as a nine-year-old boy?
3. What does Susan tell Ben before leaving him for the night in Chapter 5?
4. Who tells her daughter she disapproves of Ben Mears?
5. Where does Matt invite Mike to spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which children go missing in Chapter 4? Who sounds the alarm?
2. What is the book Ben is currently writing about?
3. What is usual about the box that two movers are ordered to take to the Marsten House?
4. Who becomes convinced that Danny's eyes are open in his coffin? What does he do about it?
5. What detail does Ben suggest Matt leave out of his discussion with the police about Mike's death? Why?
6. Who are the tall man and the boy?
7. Who died in the Marsten House in 1939?
8. What does Father Callahan attempt to hide from his housekeeper? Why?
9. Which of the brothers eventually arrives home? What condition is he in?
10. What does Mr. Glick demand Danny do during the funeral for Danny Glick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss these themes, the characters they illustrate, and the author's intentions as regard to these themes:
1) Child abuse
2) Marital infidelity
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. What does the crucifix symbolize in this novel? How is the crucifix used as a weapon against the vampires? Why does Ben's tongue depressor crucifix work against Mrs. Glick, but Father Callahan's crucifix does not work against Barlow? What does this say about Ben and Father Callahan? What does Marsten House symbolize in this novel? Why? What does the coffin symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ann Norton. Why does Ann not like Ben? Why does Ann want Susan to marry Floyd Tibbits? What does Ann want for Susan? Is this what Susan wants for herself? How does this volatile relationship come to a head? Why does Susan chose not to make her mother into a vampire? What does this say about Susan's feelings for her mother? Who uses Ann to attempt murder against Matt? How does this foreshadow Matt's eventual death? What happens to Ann in the end? Is this fate better than the one Susan had planned for her mother? How?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)