|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings a photographer to Matt's house to investigate the dead man?
2. Who is Jimmy Cody and why does he come to Matt's house to investigate the dead man?
3. Who was it that died in the fatal motorcycle accident in which one of the characters of the novel was driving?
4. What does Ben want to do after seeing Susan but cannot?
5. What does this visitor do to Dud after he falls into some sort of trance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt call Ben in the middle of the night? What does he ask him to bring?
2. Who is waiting for Ben the following evening when he leaves the boardinghouse to go to Spencer's?
3. What obstacle do several characters point out stand between a possible relationship between Susan and Ben?
4. What do Ben and Matt discuss over dinner in Chapter 7?
5. Which children go missing in Chapter 4? Who sounds the alarm?
6. What do Ben and Susan discuss is still living in the Marsten House?
7. Which of the brothers eventually arrives home? What condition is he in?
8. What detail does Ben suggest Matt leave out of his discussion with the police about Mike's death? Why?
9. What does Matt hear as he tries to fall asleep after allowing Mike to sleep in his spare bedroom?
10. What is unusual about the format of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using characters and/or examples from the novel, discuss one of the following:
1) Character relationships: chose two characters and discuss in detail their relationship and how it affects motives and actions.
2) Metaphor. Offer examples of the use of metaphor throughout the novel.
3) Point of view. Discuss the point of view, how it was used, and how the novel might have changed if a different point of view was used.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Father Callahan. What causes Father Callahan to drink to excess? Is Father Callahan unhappy in his profession? Explain. What does Father Callahan wish he could do rather than what he is doing? Does Father Callahan get this chance? How does he do? Why does Father Callahan believe Matt when he tells him about the vampires? Would one assume a priest would believe such a story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in a detailed essay, including evidence from the novel:
1) Symbolism in regards to the class ring Susan finds in Matt's house.
2) Theme in regards to the abuse perpetrated against the infant Randy McDougall.
3) Foreshadowing in regards to the relationship between Susan and Floyd at the time Susan begins seeing Ben.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)