|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ben run into Matt Burke and Weasel Craig?
2. Where do the tall man and his companion go after leaving California?
3. What does Matt hear as he tries to sleep that night?
4. How does the person who Ben meets in the park recognize him?
5. What does Larry Crockett say might be a consequence of Hank's going to the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parkins learn from the FBI about Ben Mears' past?
2. Which children go missing in Chapter 4? Who sounds the alarm?
3. What house does Ben Mears make note of as he drives into Jerusalem's Lot?
4. To whom does Ben give a speech about his writing career?
5. Who does Ben meet while at Dell's bar?
6. What is usual about the box that two movers are ordered to take to the Marsten House?
7. What two boys are walking alone in the dark woods? Why?
8. Who becomes convinced that Danny's eyes are open in his coffin? What does he do about it?
9. What does Hank Peters see in the Marsten cellar that he discusses with Larry Crockett?
10. What is unusual about the format of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mark Petrie. What kind of a person is Mark? Why does the author show Mark getting into a fight in the school yard at the beginning of the novel? What does this fight say about Mark's personality? Discuss Mark's fascination with horror monsters. How does this fascination help Mark when Danny Glick appears at his window? How does this fascination hamper Mark when he tries to tell people about the vampires? What is it about Mark's character that makes him one of the survivors of Jerusalem's Lot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in a detailed essay, including evidence from the novel:
1) Symbolism in regards to the class ring Susan finds in Matt's house.
2) Theme in regards to the abuse perpetrated against the infant Randy McDougall.
3) Foreshadowing in regards to the relationship between Susan and Floyd at the time Susan begins seeing Ben.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of these themes in a detailed essay, using examples from the novel:
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)