|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Callahan spill that he carefully cleans up to keep his housekeeper from learning about it?
2. What does Mike complain of during this visit?
3. Where does Ben go after dinner in Chapter 5?
4. What happens in Jerusalem's Lot in 1975?
5. Who did Ben Mears live with as a child after his mother had a nervous breakdown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Callahan attempt to hide from his housekeeper? Why?
2. Who does Ben meet while at Dell's bar?
3. What does Mr. Glick demand Danny do during the funeral for Danny Glick?
4. Who sold the Marsten House to Straker and Barstow? Why?
5. What do Ben and Matt discuss over dinner in Chapter 7?
6. Why did Ben enter the Marsten House as a nine-year-old boy?
7. What does Parkins learn from the FBI about Ben Mears' past?
8. What two boys are walking alone in the dark woods? Why?
9. To whom does the boy make a confession?
10. Who becomes convinced that Danny's eyes are open in his coffin? What does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ann Norton. Why does Ann not like Ben? Why does Ann want Susan to marry Floyd Tibbits? What does Ann want for Susan? Is this what Susan wants for herself? How does this volatile relationship come to a head? Why does Susan chose not to make her mother into a vampire? What does this say about Susan's feelings for her mother? Who uses Ann to attempt murder against Matt? How does this foreshadow Matt's eventual death? What happens to Ann in the end? Is this fate better than the one Susan had planned for her mother? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. What does the crucifix symbolize in this novel? How is the crucifix used as a weapon against the vampires? Why does Ben's tongue depressor crucifix work against Mrs. Glick, but Father Callahan's crucifix does not work against Barlow? What does this say about Ben and Father Callahan? What does Marsten House symbolize in this novel? Why? What does the coffin symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Matt Burke? How does Ben meet Matt? Why do they become friends so quickly? What do they have in common? How does Matt become aware of the vampires in Jerusalem's Lot? How does Matt become the leader of the resistance? What happens to Matt when Mike attempts to turn him into a vampire? Why? How does Matt continue to fight the vampires? How does Matt get killed? Is this murder?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)