|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the church officials want Joan to admit to in Scene 6?
2. What happens to Joan when she refuses to admit guilt in Scene 6?
3. In Scene 6, what does Joan have to do for the church officials to fulfill their commitment to Joan's soul?
4. In Scene 6, Joan gives two reasons for dressing in men's clothing. Which of these is one of those reasons?
5. Joan discusses ___________ with a military officer while in the cathedral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The supernatural is a strong theme in "Saint Joan: A Chronicle Play in Six Scenes and an Epilogue." How was the supernatural viewed in the Middle Ages? Why is Joan's military prowess and charisma turned into something supernatural rather than attributing it to talent and personality? Why would Joan's supernatural powers be seen as a threat to those in authority and a miracle to those in need?
Essay Topic 2
Joan is excommunicated from the church and burned at the stake. Her death is horrible and cruel. Do the men responsible for her execution feel any remorse? Why or why not? How do you know? What events occur to reinforce the way they feel? What do these events symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Joan's military leadership is an example of gender role reversal. Joan takes on a position which, especially in the Middle Ages, is one almost exclusively held by a man. What are some ways Joan adapts to better fit this role? Does her attitude become more forceful? Does her apparel change? Do you think her change in outward appearance is an attempt to make herself appear more manly, thereby making it easier for the men who make up her troops to accept her?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)