|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joan discusses ___________ with a military officer while in the cathedral.
2. What do the officials in Scene 6 discuss before Joan is brought into the courtroom?
3. What is one emotion felt by Joan's colleagues when she makes her final decision about the battle in Paris?
4. In Scene 6, what occurs before Joan is brought into the courtroom?
5. In Scene 6, what do the church officials threaten Joan with when she refuses to recant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Catholic church is well represented in this play, including the Archbishop of Rheims and various bishops, clergymen, and officials. Given the skepticism these men show when exposed to Joan's mission/cause, would it be fair to say that these men weren't strong in their faith? Though the Archbishop of Rheims comes to respect and believe in Joan, why wouldn't he give her the benefit of the doubt from the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
The supernatural is a strong theme in "Saint Joan: A Chronicle Play in Six Scenes and an Epilogue." How was the supernatural viewed in the Middle Ages? Why is Joan's military prowess and charisma turned into something supernatural rather than attributing it to talent and personality? Why would Joan's supernatural powers be seen as a threat to those in authority and a miracle to those in need?
Essay Topic 3
An important part of Joan's leadership ability and faith is confidence. Joan radiates confidence borne of divine providence, and her faith is steadfast. Why is Joan so supremely confident in her mission? What makes her so confident? Do you think the supernatural events occurring during her presence increase that confidence? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,949 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)