|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angels consist of ____________ only.
2. What is the Second Article of Question XC: On the Essence of Law in four articles?
3. The Second Article concerns whether the intellect is a purely _________ power or not.
4. The intellect gives virtue and power to the soul, but is the intellect the soul in and of itself?
5. What does Aquinas claim is the majority of human action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two actions contain choice?
2. What does Aquinas say about God being the end of things?
3. What does Aquinas say about choice and how it is an act of the will in relation to the means to an end?
4. What does Aquinas say in the Second Article, regarding whether the intellect is a purely passive power or not?
5. How does Aquinas see individuating qualities?
6. What does Aquinas say about differentiating the sensitive and and the intellectual appetites?
7. What does Aquinas claim is the behavior of the majority of human action?
8. What does Aquinas say about whether the intellectual soul knows itself by its essence?
9. Can violence be done to the will?
10. What is the analogy Aquinas uses in regards to God and all things being directed to one end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question is asked whether there is power in God.
Part 1) What does Aquinas mean by power? How does this support his belief about whether there is power in God? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is God's power reflected in humanity and the idea of unity?
Part 3) How does the discussion of God's power lead to questions about his omnipotence? How does Aquinas' view of God's power reinforce his beliefs about God's omnipotence?
Essay Topic 2
Aquinas discusses the question of whether there is anything voluntary in human acts.
Part 1) What other questions does Aquinas ask regarding voluntary human acts? How does this relate to the idea of will?
Part 2) What does Aquinas say about one's will? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is intention connected to will? What is the connection between these and intellect? How do you believe one makes choices? Do you agree with Aquinas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A lot is said about man who is composed of a spiritual and a corporeal substance.
Part 1) What is meant to have spiritual substance and corporeal substance? How is this idea of two substances supported by Aquinas?
Part 2) How does this belief in both substances relate to the soul? How do these substances affect the soul's corruptibility? Why?
Part 3) How might a reader's knowledge today of biology and neuroscience affect one's ability to believe Aquinas' ideas?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)