|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XVII: That All Things are Directed to One End, Which is God, Aquinas teaches by what?
2. Aquinas claims that focus upon the spiritual means what?
3. While still part of The Summa Theologica, chapters 19-21 are an entirely ___________ part.
4. What is the First Article for Question LXIII: The Cause of the Virtues?
5. The Fifth Article about whether our intellect understands by composition and division makes it clear that composition and division of the intellect are made by ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aquinas see individuating qualities?
2. What does Aquinas say about choice and how it is an act of the will in relation to the means to an end?
3. What is important about action?
4. What does Aquinas say about whether we can understand many things at the same time?
5. How does Aquinas respond in the First Article to the question of whether the intellectual and the soul are one and the same?
6. How do the two actions mentioned in number 51 contain choice?
7. What does Aquinas say about differentiating the sensitive and and the intellectual appetites?
8. Can one person understand one and the same thing better than another can?
9. What does Aquinas say about whether the intellectual soul knows itself by its essence?
10. What does Aquinas say about God being the end of things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whether truth resides in only the intellect is one of the most important philosophical questions known to humanity.
Part 1) Why is this question so important? How is this question revealed and discussed in this book?
Part 2) What is Aquinas' response to this question? How does this book reflect this response?
Part 3) Why does Aquinas feel the way he does about this question? What do you believe about this question?
Essay Topic 2
Aquinas discusses the difference between moral and intellectual virtues.
Part 1) What is the difference? Is every virtue a moral one, according to Aquinas? Why or why not? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) What types of moral virtues exist? Why? Is there a significant difference between the different types of moral virtues? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the overall message and purpose of Aquinas' discussion of morality and virtue?
Essay Topic 3
Question 85 discusses the mode and order of understanding.
Part 1) What is meant by this discussion topic? Why is it important to discuss?
Part 2) What is said about one's ability to understand many things at the same time? What do you believe about one's ability to understand many things at once?
Part 3) Why is composition and division important when discussing this topic? How is this connected to whether an individual can understand something better than another individual?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)