|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aquinas turns to the debate format, what is he assuming about the reader?
2. The truth or perception is that the living soul is the mind intimately associated with what?
3. What is the more ordinary idea of "God?"
4. Aquinas includes the role of language as part of the puzzle of what?
5. Objections and refutations to those objections are presented for what reasons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aquinas say about potentiality and actuality?
2. What might someone who is not specially educated in the areas of philosophy and theology think of this book?
3. What is said about angels?
4. How does Aquinas' education benefit him?
5. When Aquinas turns to the debate format, what does he assume? What are the consequences of this?
6. What is a Thomist?
7. Describe the writing of the Summa Theologica.
8. What is Aquinas' response to Question LXXV On Man who is Composed of a Spiritual and a Corporeal Substance: And First, Concerning What Belongs to the Essence of the Soul?
9. What does Aquinas say about the First Article: Whether a Name Can be Given to God?
10. What does Aquinas say about power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A lot is said about man who is composed of a spiritual and a corporeal substance.
Part 1) What is meant to have spiritual substance and corporeal substance? How is this idea of two substances supported by Aquinas?
Part 2) How does this belief in both substances relate to the soul? How do these substances affect the soul's corruptibility? Why?
Part 3) How might a reader's knowledge today of biology and neuroscience affect one's ability to believe Aquinas' ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Aquinas discusses the existence of God.
Part 1) What does Aquinas say about God? How are his philosophies affected by his view of God?
Part 2) How do his beliefs about God reflect and reinforce the importance of the soul and the spiritual work conducted by an individual during his or her lifetime?
Part 3) Aquinas believes Scripture can be used as evidence. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is discussed whether the intellectual principle is multiplied according to the number of bodies.
Part 1) How does this continue to discussion from number 10? What does this have to do with agents and actions? How successful is Aquinas at supporting his belief about the intellectual principle? Why?
Part 2) What does Aquinas think of individuating qualities? How is this connected to Jesus and forgiveness?
Part 3) What does Aquinas think of the idea of many souls? Why? What are your thoughts on this?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)