|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Question 84: How the Soul While United to the Body Understands Corporeal Things Beneath It in Eight Articles, Aquinas gets into _____________ historiography of the quest for knowledge and certainty regarding the truth.
(a) A simple yet long.
(b) A more complex and extended.
(c) A simple and short.
(d) A more complex yet brief.
2. In The End of Man: The Summa Contra Gentiles: Third Book: Chapter I That Every Agent Acts For an End, what behavior does Aquinas refer to?
3. What does Aquinas differentiate between in the First Article?
(a) Angels and people.
(b) People and animals.
(c) Angels and saints.
(d) Angels and God.
4. The Second Article concerns whether the intellect is a purely _________ power or not.
5. The divine essence is exposed through what?
(a) An image of God.
(b) The works of others.
(c) An immediate vision of God.
(d) A subtle vision of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Choice is the theme, and what is 'choice' described as?
2. While still part of The Summa Theologica, chapters 19-21 are an entirely ___________ part.
3. The next set of questions are focused on what issue?
4. Aquinas goes back to pre-Socratic times and the observation that the system is rooted in motion, which ___________ certainty.
5. God cannot be the end of things as though He were something effected, but only as ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Can one person understand one and the same thing better than another can?
2. What is the purpose of an introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas?
3. What are the six articles on the various kinds of law?
4. What does the matter of whether the essence of the soul is its power involve?
5. What comparisons are made regarding arguments that would seem to prove that God cannot be seen in His essence and their solution?
6. What does Aquinas claim is the behavior of the majority of human action?
7. How does Aquinas see individuating qualities?
8. How does Aquinas respond in the First Article to the question of whether the intellectual and the soul are one and the same?
9. What does Aquinas say about the difference between irascible and concupiscence?
10. What does Aquinas say about agents and action?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)