|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An intellect knows multiple things by their difference and can compare them ______________.
(a) From direct experience.
(c) From others' experiences.
(d) From afar.
2. The Fourth Article is Whether We Can Understand Many Things at the Same Time. What does Aquinas say that the ability to distinguish two things involves?
(a) Knowing their difference.
(b) Having two things.
(c) Having two different things.
(d) Having intellect.
3. What is the First Article for Question LXIII: The Cause of the Virtues?
(a) Whether Virtue is Real.
(b) Whether Virtue is Found by Accident.
(c) Whether Virtue is in us by Nature.
(d) Whether Virtue Exists in Man.
4. The Fourth Article emphasizes the immaterial nature of ______________.
5. Aquinas explains that the human mind can discover a new __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Appetites are ______.
2. In Chapter 19-21, the format resumes the structure of the questions with what?
3. How many articles are there for Question LXIV: On the Mean of Virtue?
4. How many articles are there in Question XIII: On Choice, Which is an Act of the Will in Relation to the Means to an End?
5. In Chapter XVII: That All Things are Directed to One End, Which is God, Aquinas teaches by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aquinas say about God being the end of things?
2. What does Aquinas say about the difference between irascible and concupiscence?
3. Can one person understand one and the same thing better than another can?
4. What is important about action?
5. What is the first question pertaining to the issue of law?
6. What is the purpose of an introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas?
7. What does Aquinas say about choice and how it is an act of the will in relation to the means to an end?
8. What does Aquinas claim in Chapter XLVII That in this Life We Are Unable to See God in His Essence?
9. How does Aquinas see individuating qualities?
10. How does Aquinas respond in the First Article to the question of whether the intellectual and the soul are one and the same?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)