|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a psychological purification process?
(a) Studying philosophy.
(b) Combining theology with philosophy.
(c) Debate and logical argumentation.
(d) Speaking with philosophers.
2. What was Damascene?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A public official.
(c) A artisan.
(d) A teacher.
3. Truth and falsehood are both described in relation to what?
(a) The intellect.
(c) Relationships between men.
4. What are you doing when you behave in a way that does not express the truth?
(b) Hurting others.
(c) Behaving strangely.
(d) Being rebellious.
5. According to Aquinas, Aristotle says that the soul is only separable from the body inasmuch as what?
(a) Thoughts and practices are.
(b) One believes it to be.
(c) God wants it to be.
(d) The separation of mind and body at death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aquinas' work was severely challenged by what?
2. Thanks to ______________, he becomes aware of some ancient thinkers outside of Scriptures as well as inside them.
3. The objections in this book are legitimate opposition to what?
4. Aquinas shows that his ideas can be _____.
5. What areas of study might be important when reading this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sixth article takes up the matter of the puzzle of whether the human soul is corruptible or incorruptible. What does Aquinas say about this?
2. What do many of the questions and answers Aquinas discusses reveal about him?
3. How was Aquinas able to write this book successfully?
4. What is said in response to the question of whether truth resides only in the intellect?
5. Describe the format of this book.
6. What does Aquinas say about the First Article: Whether a Name Can be Given to God?
7. Who is Dionysius?
8. When Aquinas turns to the debate format, what does he assume? What are the consequences of this?
9. What are your thoughts on the layout of the Summa Theologica?
10. What is Aquinas' response to Question LXXV On Man who is Composed of a Spiritual and a Corporeal Substance: And First, Concerning What Belongs to the Essence of the Soul?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)