|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angels consist of ____________ only.
(c) Mind and will.
2. Whatever action any individual does to another has already been done to whom?
(a) The disciples.
3. The Second Article concerns whether the intellect is a purely _________ power or not.
4. How many articles are there for Question XCIV: The Natural Law?
5. Whether the intellectual principle is multiplied according to the number of bodies has to do with what?
(a) Perceptions of separation.
(b) Perceptions of connection.
(c) Perceptions of separation and connection.
(d) Perceptions of others.
6. In Question 84: How the Soul While United to the Body Understands Corporeal Things Beneath It in Eight Articles, Aquinas gets into _____________ historiography of the quest for knowledge and certainty regarding the truth.
(a) A more complex and extended.
(b) A simple yet long.
(c) A more complex yet brief.
(d) A simple and short.
7. The Second Article is more intimately connected with Church doctrine: separating irascible from _____________.
(c) A hot temper.
8. Aquinas explains that the human mind can discover a new __________.
9. What is the First Article of Question 58, On the Difference Between Moral and Intellectual Virtues?
(a) Whether Every Moral is a Virtue.
(b) Whether Morality Exists in Virtue.
(c) Whether Virtue Exists in Morality.
(d) Whether Every Virtue is a Moral Virtue.
10. How many objections and replies exist in the Fourth Article: Whether Choice is of Those Things Only That are Done By Us?
11. How many articles are there for Question XCIII: The Eternal Law?
12. According to Aquinas, God is the end of things as something to be obtained by each thing in what way?
(a) God's way.
(b) Its own way.
(c) A few ways.
(d) One way.
13. Aquinas claims that _________________ observes, categorizes, and determines what would be harmful and what would be helpful to an entity, person, or organism.
(a) The essence of power.
(b) The irascible power.
(c) The concupiscible power.
(d) The prelapsarian power.
14. At its best, An Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas clarifies the mind, provides instruction and insight. It displays the vigorous efforts made by ___________ to come to terms with two of the top Grecian philosophers.
(a) The religious.
(b) All Christians.
(d) The Catholic religion.
15. The essence of an angel is knowledge and what else?
(a) The body.
(b) The intellect.
(c) The soul.
(d) The knower of knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Fourth Article is Whether We Can Understand Many Things at the Same Time. What does Aquinas say that the ability to distinguish two things involves?
2. The Fifth Article about whether our intellect understands by composition and division makes it clear that composition and division of the intellect are made by ____________________.
3. One will is immediate and the rest may be the same or the guidance of ___________ which governs the events.
4. How many articles exist to discuss the powers of the soul in particular?
5. The desire for intellectual stimulation and a physical drive such as hunger represent ________________ these two types of appetites.
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)