|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The goal of this book is knowledge and understanding of what?
(a) The Truth.
(c) The soul.
2. The distinction between two things is a subdivision of ___________ of a whole.
(a) What is to be understood.
(c) These things.
3. One will is immediate and the rest may be the same or the guidance of ___________ which governs the events.
(a) Several higher wills.
(b) A special will.
(c) Some higher will.
(d) A lower will.
4. The Second Article is more intimately connected with Church doctrine: separating irascible from _____________.
(a) A hot temper.
5. The Fourth Article emphasizes the immaterial nature of ______________.
6. The Second Article concerns whether the intellect is a purely _________ power or not.
7. In Question 85: The Mode and Order of Understanding, the thing is understood and then there is the fact that ____________.
(a) It is understood.
(b) It should be understood.
(c) The thing exists.
(d) Understanding is impossible.
8. When is man's ultimate happiness, according to Aquinas?
(a) In childhood.
(b) In old age.
(c) Not in this life.
(d) In this life.
9. In the Fourth Article: Whether Violence Can Be Done To the Will, what type of will does Aquinas describe?
(a) An unknown will.
(b) A strange will.
(c) A two-fold will.
(d) A unique will.
10. How many articles are there for Question XCI: On The Various Kinds of Law?
11. Referring to St. Augustine, Aquinas asserts that the human soul benefits from what?
(c) Human knowledge.
12. In Chapter XVI: That the End of Everything is a Good, the end is viewed as what?
(b) The motive.
(c) The immotive.
(d) The action.
13. In The End of Man: The Summa Contra Gentiles: Third Book: Chapter I That Every Agent Acts For an End, what behavior does Aquinas refer to?
14. What question does Aquinas ask in Question 79?
(a) Whether there is an intellectual soul.
(b) Whether everyone has an intellectual soul.
(c) Whether the intellectual soul is truthful.
(d) Whether the intellect and the soul are one and the same.
15. Second Article: Whether the Mean of Moral Virtue is a Real Mean or a Mean of Reason completes what?
(a) This type of discussion on intellect.
(b) This type of discussion on morality.
(c) This type of discussion on love.
(d) This type of discussion on virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. While still part of The Summa Theologica, chapters 19-21 are an entirely ___________ part.
2. At its best, An Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas clarifies the mind, provides instruction and insight. It displays the vigorous efforts made by ___________ to come to terms with two of the top Grecian philosophers.
3. The essence of an angel is knowledge and what else?
4. According to Aquinas, God is the end of things as something to be obtained by each thing in what way?
5. In Chapter XVII: That All Things are Directed to One End, Which is God, Aquinas teaches by what?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)