|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What location of truth does the author question?
(a) Whether truth resides only in the intellect.
(b) Whether truth resides in God.
(c) Whether there is truth in heaven.
(d) Whether man can be truthful.
2. Thanks to ______________, he becomes aware of some ancient thinkers outside of Scriptures as well as inside them.
(a) Aquinas' intelligence.
(b) Aquinas' education.
(c) Aquinas' family.
(d) Aquinas' friends.
3. What is meant by an article?
(a) A brief essay and clarification.
(b) A lengthy discourse on the topic.
(c) A short story or analogy.
(d) A lengthy definition of the topic.
4. Reading the Summa is much like trying to read what?
(a) A well-planned physics book written for other physicists.
(b) A book in another language.
(c) A novel.
(d) The Bible.
5. He attempted to reconcile philosophy with what?
(c) His culture.
(d) Greek mythology.
6. While the activity of the mind is usually expressed through the living body, with what will it continue in its current form?
(a) The coming of Christ.
(b) The birth of new beings.
(c) Accidents and injuries to the brain.
(d) The cessation of the material nature.
7. "God will have all men to be _____________" (p. 204.)
8. What power does not exist at all in God?
9. In what must the exemplar of the order of things towards their end exist?
(a) Our minds.
(b) The divine mind.
(c) Our hearts.
10. How can the Summa Theologica be described?
(a) As massive.
(b) As simple.
(c) As unusual.
(d) As dull.
11. What is entropy, according to Aquinas?
(b) The loss of information.
(d) The Creator can reduce a being to nothing.
12. Aquinas supports God as self-evident but again shows his existence through _________________.
13. Aquinas goes into the process needed to calculate what, regarding good and evil when there are multiple values involved in one decision?
(a) The number of people on the earth.
(b) Various theories.
(c) Right and wrong.
(d) The age of God.
14. The mind is a phenomenon of the human being that can be ___________ separated and retain function.
15. How many major thinkers other than Aquinas are most frequently named by the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. Truth and falsehood are both described in relation to what?
2. Whenever you act in accordance with your own truth and values, then your behavior is what?
3. Aquinas explains that God is defined as the "first cause" or what?
4. Aquinas observes that while "the Philosopher" claims that the human intellect can have perfect knowledge, he uses Aristotle to refute this. He cites an observation made in De Anima to prove this. What does he say is in the mind's understanding of things?
5. Aquinas was a learned man of what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)