|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ike, Mike, and Greer have to return to town?
2. How do Ike, Mike, and Greer know about the school of fish?
3. Why does the actress insist on being called "Shoola"?
4. Ike is urged to let _____ take over.
5. Shoola and the sea lion first begin to connect through _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shoola want to go home?
2. How has Ike let the people of Kuinak down?
3. By Chapter 12, how has Kuinak dramatically changed since Ike left to go to Skagway?
4. How Is Ike's old nature returning in Chapter 20?
5. Why does Alice feel she shouldn't have reacted as she did to Mike's infidelity?
6. How does Shoola's connection with Harry contradict current-Kuinak?
7. Were Mike and Steubins in need of rescuing after the storm? Why?
8. What is changing about the movie?
9. Are the occurrences of Chapter 20 common or uncommon for Kuinak? How?
10. Does Alice's character make more sense after Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mystery surrounds the characters in Sailor Song, from their history to true motives. This is strongest in Alice and Ike, Foxcorp, and even in subtle dynamics like Shoola and Harry. Discuss mystery as a sub-narrative in Sailor Song and how it drives and suspends situations, relationships, and the reader's experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Although Foxcorp stands in stark contrast to Kuinak, there are a few elements that tie the two together. Discuss the parallels of Foxcorp and Kuinak in Sailor Song and what they say about nature, authenticity, and industry.
Essay Topic 3
Kuinak's struggles represent the world and its final big storm affects everyone in the world. Discuss how Kuinak functions as an analogy for development in the world and Kesey's commentary on the future.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)