|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shoola feel about the sea lion when they first meet?
2. After the town meeting, what does Alice realize she shouldn't have done?
3. Who else is with Alice, Shoola, and Ike when they leave Mike and Willi at the dock?
4. What happens to Ike in the van?
5. What does Alice's letter to Ike and Greer ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were Mike and Steubins in need of rescuing after the storm? Why?
2. What is Alice's opinion of her husband's fidelity?
3. What is Mike's main objective in Chapter 13?
4. How does Shoola's connection with Harry contradict current-Kuinak?
5. Why does Shoola want to go home?
6. By Chapter 12, how has Kuinak dramatically changed since Ike left to go to Skagway?
7. Why does the actress want to be called "Shoola"?
8. What must Ike return to at the end of Chapter 16?
9. Why can't Mike, Greer, and Ike catch any fish?
10. Why does Alice offer to drive Ike and Shoola home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of "nature" in Sailor Song.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the book's focus on the necessity and integrity of one's roots and the way characters are defined by their context, home, and independence.
Essay Topic 3
Kuinak's struggles represent the world and its final big storm affects everyone in the world. Discuss how Kuinak functions as an analogy for development in the world and Kesey's commentary on the future.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)