|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ike's friend in prison was named ______.
2. What surrounds the town?
3. What did Mike do before settling in Alaska?
4. How does the tribe kill the stranger?
5. What does the Underdog Club organize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Shoola and the Sea Lion an appropriate or inappropriate children's book?
2. What's the relevance of albinism in Chapter 3?
3. Does Ike try to isolate himself?
4. Why is Alice drinking again?
5. In Shoola and the Sea Lion, why are the women fascinated by the stranger?
6. What was so exciting about Ike's life before Kuinak?
7. Why is Alice back in Kuinak?
8. How does Chapter 5 tie back to Chapter 3?
9. What is the condition of Kuinak?
10. How is the Foxcorp party affecting the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kuinak and its inhabitants are painted mainly by their isolated nature. Discuss the use of isolation in Sailor Song and how it adds to the canvas of the narrative and its representation of change.
Essay Topic 2
Reverend Greener and Ike are paralleled in their desire for social reform. However, Ike is no longer an activist and lies at the opposite end of the spectrum from Rev. Greener. Discuss the use of these opposing men in a common interest and what we learn about humanity, the future, and Ike through this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of "nature" in Sailor Song.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)