|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many times visitors were required to be ______ for a time.
2. Slocum docked in which port?
3. Slocum came across a shipwreck which he believed to be caused by which of the following:
4. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
5. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
2. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
3. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
6. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
7. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
8. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
9. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
10. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum had to be very conscientious when it came to supplies for the ship. Create a list of supplies for the journey. Include the use of each item and how long it would last. Examine Slocum's plan for obtaining more supplies. Where did Slocum obtain more supplies? What if Slocum ran out of supplies while out at sea? What supplies were most vital? How did Slocum know where to get supplies and how much they would cost? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)