|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the religious figure mentioned in the text?
2. Slocum had a difficult time adapting to the customs of which island?
3. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
4. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
5. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
2. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
3. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
4. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
5. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
6. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
7. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
8. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
9. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
10. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
Essay Topic 2
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)