|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
2. At first the children thought the treat was:
3. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
4. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
5. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
2. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
3. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
4. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
5. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
6. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
7. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
8. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
9. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
10. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)