Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
2. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
3. Which ocean was Slocum prepared to traverse at this point?
4. Many times visitors were required to be ______ for a time.
5. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)