|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wise men approached Slocum hoping to learn that the world was really flat?
2. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
3. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
4. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
5. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
2. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
3. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
4. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
5. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
6. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
7. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
8. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
9. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
10. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
Essay Topic 2
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)