|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of crew member did Slocum get just before sailing onward?
2. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
3. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
4. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
5. Slocum left the island and prepared to sail to which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
2. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
3. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
4. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
5. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
6. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
7. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
8. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
9. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
10. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)