|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
2. How long did it take to reach the next port?
3. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
4. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
5. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
2. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
3. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
4. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
5. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
6. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
7. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
8. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
9. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
10. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)