|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man routinely preached about ______.
2. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
3. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
4. How long did Slocum stay at St. Kilda?
5. The trip would take Slocum to which famous island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
2. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
3. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
4. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
5. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
6. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
7. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
8. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
9. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
10. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
Essay Topic 2
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum made quite an impression on the islanders when he arrived in the Spray. Discuss the islanders and how they reacted toward Slocum. What was the biggest surprise on behalf of the islanders? What was the general opinion of the islanders? Choose three ports in which Slocum was greeted by islanders. Explain each group's culture, location, reaction to Slocum and his journey. Also discuss Slocum's length of stay with each and activities while he was on the island.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)