|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Slocum's special guest?
2. Slocum was bound to stay on the island as the only _____ representative.
3. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
4. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
5. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
2. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
3. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
4. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
5. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
6. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
7. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
8. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
9. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
10. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
Essay Topic 2
Slocum had to be very conscientious when it came to supplies for the ship. Create a list of supplies for the journey. Include the use of each item and how long it would last. Examine Slocum's plan for obtaining more supplies. Where did Slocum obtain more supplies? What if Slocum ran out of supplies while out at sea? What supplies were most vital? How did Slocum know where to get supplies and how much they would cost? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)