|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of celebration did Slocum attend?
2. How many head teachers were greeted by Slocum?
3. Who was Slocum's special guest?
4. Many times visitors were required to be ______ for a time.
5. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
2. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
3. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
4. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
5. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
6. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
7. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
8. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
9. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
10. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum spent three years traveling around the world alone. Write an essay about being out to sea for three years. What did Slocum miss? Were there any major world events during the time Slocum was gone? Explain. Was Slocum able to receive any type of news while he was at sea? What events may have happened in Slocum's personal life during the three years? What changed the most during Slocum's absence? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)