|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's daughter?
2. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
3. What group of islands was next on Slocum's route?
4. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
5. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
2. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
3. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
4. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
5. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
6. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
7. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
9. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
10. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Slocum to John Cook. Why was it significant that the Spray was located atop Cook's ashes? Why was Cook important in the story? What was Slocum's opinion of Cook?
Essay Topic 3
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)