|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
2. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
3. What item was named after Slocum?
4. At first the children thought the treat was:
5. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
2. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
3. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
6. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
7. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
9. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
10. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum's visits to various ports turned out to be valuable learning experiences for all concerned. Discuss the learning experiences between Slocum and the islanders. What did the islanders teach Slocum? What was the most unusual skill? What was the most practical or valuable? What skills did Slocum teach to the natives? What other items did Slocum introduce to the natives? How do you think the experiences changed each? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)