|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
2. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
3. Slocum docked in which port?
4. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
5. Slocum had a difficult time adapting to the customs of which island?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
2. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
3. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
4. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
5. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
6. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
7. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
9. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
10. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was compared to several different famous explorers including Columbus. Choose two famous explorers and compare them to Slocum. What routes did they take? What similarities were there between the men? Which had the most experience? Which was the most successful? Which took the longest voyage? Include details of at least one major undertaking of each explorer.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum stayed in many different ports during his journey. Examine Slocum's choice to remain in the ports. Why would Slocum choose to spend so much time in some of the ports? Was it necessary? What might have prompted Slocum to stay if there was no need? Where did Slocum spend the most amount of time? Why? What did Slocum learn while he was at the various ports? How was Slocum received? What was the general opinion of the Spray? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)