|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of celebration did Slocum attend?
2. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
3. The man routinely preached about ______.
4. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
5. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
2. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
3. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
4. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
5. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
6. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
7. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
8. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
9. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
10. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum seemed destined to find the Spray. Explore the scenario surrounding the purchase of the oyster boat. Where did Slocum find it? Who was its owner? What was the general opinion of the townspeople when it was learned that Slocum had purchased the old boat? How much did it cost? Was it a good deal? Did Slocum see something in the boat that others could not? What possessed Slocum to commit to such an undertaking? What did Slocum need to do in order to repair the boat and ensure that it was seaworthy? Did Slocum have the necessary skills to do the work? What was the next step?
Essay Topic 3
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)