|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Slocum was in the port, he had the opportunity to meet Mr. A. _____, father of the late princess of Manua.
2. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
3. Slocum was happy to meet another American who worked as a ______.
4. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
5. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
Short Essay Questions
1. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
2. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
3. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
4. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
5. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
6. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
7. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
8. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
9. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
10. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)