|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item was named after Slocum?
2. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
3. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
4. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
5. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
2. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
3. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
4. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
5. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
6. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
7. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
8. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
9. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
10. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum stayed in many different ports during his journey. Examine Slocum's choice to remain in the ports. Why would Slocum choose to spend so much time in some of the ports? Was it necessary? What might have prompted Slocum to stay if there was no need? Where did Slocum spend the most amount of time? Why? What did Slocum learn while he was at the various ports? How was Slocum received? What was the general opinion of the Spray? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)