|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
2. How long did it take to reach the next port?
3. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
4. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
5. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
2. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
3. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
4. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
5. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
6. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
7. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
8. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
9. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
10. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
Essay Topic 3
Slocum stayed in many different ports during his journey. Examine Slocum's choice to remain in the ports. Why would Slocum choose to spend so much time in some of the ports? Was it necessary? What might have prompted Slocum to stay if there was no need? Where did Slocum spend the most amount of time? Why? What did Slocum learn while he was at the various ports? How was Slocum received? What was the general opinion of the Spray? Explain.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)