|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's daughter?
2. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
3. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
4. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
5. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
2. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
3. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
4. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
5. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
6. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
7. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
9. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
10. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the types of ships mentioned in the story. Include the oyster boat, gaff, tug boat and others. Which is the most practical? Which is best suited to Slocum? Explain who would be likely to operate each boat. Also examine the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)