|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
2. Who was Slocum's special guest?
3. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
4. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
5. How many wise men approached Slocum hoping to learn that the world was really flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
2. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
3. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
4. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
5. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
6. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
7. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
8. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
9. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
10. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum was incredibly ambitious. It was especially apparent when he announced that he would sail around the world. Explain the process by which Slocum would achieve his goal. What kind of permission did Slocum have to have in order to traverse international waters? What type of relationship did Slocum have with various dignitaries, heads of state, royalty, and other leaders? How was Slocum's plan received by the government? Also explain the necessary steps Slocum had to take and what documentation was required.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)