|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the residence of that particular guest?
2. What gift did Slocum receive from Foy?
3. What was the first name of the late princess?
4. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
5. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
2. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
3. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
4. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
5. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
6. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
7. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
8. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
9. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
10. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum claims that sailing is in his blood. The man had a great deal of experience before buying the Spray. Write an essay about Slocum's experience at sea. What job positions were held by Slocum? Which, if any, prepared him to take his journey around the world? Do you think Slocum was prepared to make the trip? Was Slocum experienced enough to take the trip alone? Was it difficult for Slocum to make the trip alone in regards to tending to the boat? Was the feat brave or careless? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)