|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
2. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
3. What was the fattest animal on the island?
4. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
5. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
2. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
3. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
4. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
5. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
6. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
7. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
8. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
9. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
10. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum had to be very conscientious when it came to supplies for the ship. Create a list of supplies for the journey. Include the use of each item and how long it would last. Examine Slocum's plan for obtaining more supplies. Where did Slocum obtain more supplies? What if Slocum ran out of supplies while out at sea? What supplies were most vital? How did Slocum know where to get supplies and how much they would cost? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the navigational tools used in Slocum's time. Compare and contrast them to tools used 100 years before and 100 years after. What were the most significant improvements? What instruments did not change? What instruments are still in use today?
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions Slocum was faced with people who harbored age old beliefs and superstitions. Choose at least three incidents, explain the belief or superstition, and how it was handled by Slocum. Did Slocum attempt to educate the people or allow them to believe what they wanted to believe in order to keep the peace or save face? Which is the most commonly held misconception? How could Slocum convince the people of the truth?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)