|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Slocum's special guest?
2. What was the name of the nearby town?
3. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
4. The man routinely preached about ______.
5. Slocum left the island and prepared to sail to which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
2. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
3. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
4. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
5. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
6. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
7. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
8. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
9. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
10. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
Essay Topic 2
Joshua Slocum was born in Nova Scotia. Examine Slocum's early life and the lives of his ancestors. What was appealing about the Bay of Fundy? What made the family choose that particular locale in Nova Scotia? What about the geography appealed to Slocum? Share some of the activities in which Slocum took part that involved the ocean and/or the Bay of Fundy. Include any other pertinent and related details to Slocum's life in Nova Scotia.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)