|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat did Slocum share with the island children?
2. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
3. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
4. What group of islands was next on Slocum's route?
5. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
2. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
3. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
4. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
5. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
6. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
7. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
8. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
9. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
10. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the story Slocum says that the sea is in his blood. What does Slocum mean when he says that the sea is in his blood? What did Slocum's father and grandfather do for a living? Do you believe a profession can be in some way inherited? How old was Slocum when he realized that he was destined to devote himself to the sea? What was the opinion of Slocum's father? Was the family supportive of Slocum's choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Slocum had a difficult time deciding what to do with his life. Examine Slocum's quest. How did the author end up in Boston? What was Slocum doing at the time? Was Slocum working at a regular job? What did he do in Boston? Who did Slocum meet while he was in the city? What prompted him to look for a boat? Who sold the boat? What kind of omen(s) did Slocum relate to his new purchase? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most common themes in literature is man versus nature. This theme is prevalent in the story. Examine how Slocum battles with nature. Who wins? Give examples and details on specific incidents. Also examine how Slocum chose to cooperate with nature rather than work against it. Which worked better, combating or cooperating with nature? What incident most clearly shows an example of each?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)