|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
2. What treat did Slocum share with the island children?
3. Many times visitors were required to be ______ for a time.
4. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
5. Slocum came across a shipwreck which he believed to be caused by which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
2. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
3. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
6. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
7. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
8. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
9. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
10. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slocum's visits to various ports turned out to be valuable learning experiences for all concerned. Discuss the learning experiences between Slocum and the islanders. What did the islanders teach Slocum? What was the most unusual skill? What was the most practical or valuable? What skills did Slocum teach to the natives? What other items did Slocum introduce to the natives? How do you think the experiences changed each? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story about traveling alone around the world. You may choose any time person or manner of transportation. Include as many details as possible including the reason for the journey, the process, the voyage, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Pirates appear in various parts of the story. Discuss in detail at least two instances in which Slocum was confronted by pirates while on his voyage. Also discuss other references made in the book that relate to pirates or similar groups.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)