|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
(a) Cruise ships.
(d) Aircraft carriers.
2. Which of the following is the religious figure mentioned in the text?
3. What type of celebration did Slocum attend?
(c) Christmas party.
4. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
5. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum says that he had _____ to keep him company.
2. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
3. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
4. What was the title of Foy?
5. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
2. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
3. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
6. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
7. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
8. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
9. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
10. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)