|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
(a) Mining town.
(b) Health resort.
(c) Tourist trap.
2. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
3. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
4. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
(a) October 3.
(b) March 16.
(c) May 26.
(d) July 27.
5. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Slocum feel when he was introduced by the admirer?
2. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
3. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
4. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
5. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
2. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
3. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
4. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
5. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
6. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
7. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
9. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
10. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)