|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
(a) Atlantic Monthly.
(b) Missionary Review.
(c) Island Traveler.
2. According to a quote on page 221, Slocum refers to the islanders as being as _______ as possible.
3. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
(b) The Great Spirit.
4. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
5. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 1 week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
2. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
3. Which ocean was Slocum prepared to traverse at this point?
4. How did Slocum feel when he was introduced by the admirer?
5. What is the name of the king's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
2. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
3. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
6. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
7. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
8. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
9. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
10. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)