|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which port did Slocum receive a warm welcome and special visit?
2. While Slocum was in the port, he had the opportunity to meet Mr. A. _____, father of the late princess of Manua.
3. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
4. What is the name of the king's daughter?
5. What type of bird greeted Slocum as he approached Keeling Cocos?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of the late princess?
2. Slocum had a difficult time adapting to the customs of which island?
3. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
4. Who was Slocum's special guest?
5. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
2. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
3. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
4. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
5. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
6. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
7. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
8. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
9. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
10. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)