|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the residence of that particular guest?
2. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
3. What was the fattest animal on the island?
4. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
5. The trip would take Slocum to which famous island?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
2. Slocum was bound to stay on the island as the only _____ representative.
3. How many head teachers were greeted by Slocum?
4. What common item was the real cause of the rain?
5. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
2. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
3. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
4. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
5. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
6. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
7. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
8. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
9. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
10. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)