|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
(a) Northern Star.
(b) West Indies.
(c) Southern Cross.
(d) East Asia.
2. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
(a) March 16.
(b) May 26.
(c) July 27.
(d) October 3.
3. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
4. Which of the following is the religious figure mentioned in the text?
5. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which part of Australia is Port Denison located?
2. Which of the following occupations does not apply to Slocum's new admirer?
3. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
4. Who was Slocum's special guest?
5. Slocum was happy to meet another American who worked as a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
2. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
3. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
6. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
7. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
8. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
9. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
10. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)