|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
2. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
3. The Queen on Thursday Island was celebrating her 22nd ____ Jubilee.
4. What type of boats were mentioned by Slocum at this point?
(a) Cruise ships.
(d) Aircraft carriers.
5. The man routinely preached about ______.
(b) The Antichrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
2. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
3. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
4. What type of crew member did Slocum get just before sailing onward?
5. What is the name of the king's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
2. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
3. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
4. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
5. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
6. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
7. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
8. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
9. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
10. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)