|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum came across a shipwreck which he believed to be caused by which of the following:
(a) Changing currents.
(d) Torn hull.
2. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
3. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
(b) Mining town.
(c) Tourist trap.
(d) Health resort.
4. Which ocean was Slocum prepared to traverse at this point?
5. How long did it take to reach the next port?
(a) 43 days.
(b) 21 days.
(c) 36 hours.
(d) 5 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum says that he had _____ to keep him company.
2. How did Slocum feel when he was introduced by the admirer?
3. Slocum was bound to stay on the island as the only _____ representative.
4. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
5. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
2. Who is Mr. Myles? What about the man made Slocum uneasy?
3. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
4. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
5. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
6. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
7. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
8. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
9. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
10. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)