|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
(a) Opera House.
(b) Governor's mansion.
(c) Snug Bay.
(d) Main cove.
2. Which ocean was Slocum prepared to traverse at this point?
3. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
4. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
5. What is the name of the king's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum also taught the islanders about which of the following:
2. After leaving the island, Slocum directed the Spray to which area?
3. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
4. How many wise men approached Slocum hoping to learn that the world was really flat?
5. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
2. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
3. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
4. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
5. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
6. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
7. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
8. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
9. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
10. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)