|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the fattest animal on the island?
2. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
3. The man routinely preached about ______.
(a) The Antichrist.
4. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
(a) Island Traveler.
(b) Missionary Review.
(c) Atlantic Monthly.
5. Slocum also taught the islanders about which of the following:
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
2. How did Slocum feel when he was introduced by the admirer?
3. Slocum managed to make money off of which sea creature?
4. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
5. At which port did Slocum receive a warm welcome and special visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
2. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
3. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
4. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
5. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
6. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
7. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
8. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
9. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
10. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)