|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Slocum stay at St. Kilda?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 5 weeks.
(d) 1 month.
2. What was the name of the nearby town?
3. What word did Slocum use to describe Keeling Cocos?
4. What was the fattest animal on the island?
5. While on Keeling Cocos, Slocum took the time to do what to the Spray?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Slocum was in the port, he had the opportunity to meet Mr. A. _____, father of the late princess of Manua.
2. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
3. How long had it been since the king had lived up to his title?
4. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
5. In which part of Australia is Port Denison located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
2. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
3. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
4. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
5. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
6. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
7. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
8. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
9. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
10. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)