|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum came across a shipwreck which he believed to be caused by which of the following:
(b) Changing currents.
(d) Torn hull.
2. What common item was the real cause of the rain?
(a) Coral reefs.
3. What group of islands was next on Slocum's route?
4. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
5. How many head teachers were greeted by Slocum?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had it been since the king had lived up to his title?
2. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
3. Who accompanied Slocum on this part of the voyage?
4. All visitors to _____ are required to be examined by a doctor.
5. At which port did Slocum receive a warm welcome and special visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Slocum details his arrival in Port Denison. Explain the port and its surrounding area.
2. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
3. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
4. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
5. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
6. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
7. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
8. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
9. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
10. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)