|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a quote on page 221, Slocum refers to the islanders as being as _______ as possible.
2. What was the name of the nearby town?
3. The trip would take Slocum to which famous island?
4. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
(b) The Great Spirit.
5. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
2. What was the title of Foy?
3. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
4. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
5. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
2. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
3. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
4. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
5. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
6. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
7. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
8. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
9. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
10. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)