|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum was bound to stay on the island as the only _____ representative.
2. The people of the island were pleased to see the Spray and in her honor built a ____.
3. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
4. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
5. How did Slocum feel when he was introduced by the admirer?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that the Pacific is more ______ than any other ocean.
2. Slocum was asked to pay respects from the king to which publication?
3. While Slocum was in the port, he had the opportunity to meet Mr. A. _____, father of the late princess of Manua.
4. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
5. Who was the man who waxed poetic about Slocum's journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
2. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
3. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
4. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
5. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
6. What was Slocum's final comment on the islands?
7. What did Slocum do while out on the ocean for such long stretches of time?
8. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
9. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
10. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)