|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the islands described by Slocum at this part in the journey?
2. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
3. What is the "Pilot of Keeling Cocos?"
4. Which legendary captain is the topic of a lecture delivered by Slocum?
5. The item built by the islanders was placed in which location?
(a) Governor's mansion.
(b) Main cove.
(c) Snug Bay.
(d) Opera House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
2. Slocum was pleased to introduce the islanders to which of the following:
3. How long did Slocum stay at St. Kilda?
4. What was the fattest animal on the island?
5. The town would eventually become known as the site of a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
2. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
3. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
4. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
5. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
6. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
7. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
8. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
9. What was the common procedure when a ship arrived on Mauritius?
10. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)