|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a quote on page 221, Slocum refers to the islanders as being as _______ as possible.
2. How many female students accompanied the teachers?
3. What was the name of the king Slocum met while in Apia?
(a) Hoa Lu.
4. Slocum says that he had _____ to keep him company.
(d) Coral reefs.
5. Who interviewed Slocum when he reached South Africa?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
2. What treat did Slocum share with the island children?
3. Slocum was surprised to receive a ____ pound note from a woman who felt sympathy for the sailor.
4. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
5. Slocum was thrilled to know that he was in the same area that had been inhabited by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
2. What was the most fascinating thing about the island in Slocum's eyes?
3. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
4. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
5. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
6. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
7. Explain Slocum's experience with a botanist. What was special about the interaction?
8. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
9. Aside from the King, Slocum met other people from royal families. Discuss the meeting with Mr. A. Young.
10. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)