|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the fattest animal on the island?
2. How many head teachers were greeted by Slocum?
3. Slocum discusses his trip to which island named after a day of the week?
4. What is the name of the king's daughter?
5. What gift did the islanders give to Slocum?
(a) Rain coat.
(b) Antique coins.
(c) Potbellied pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum docked in which port?
2. What type of crew member did Slocum get just before sailing onward?
3. The celebration was planned in whose honor?
4. What gift did Slocum receive from Foy?
5. While Slocum was in the port, he had the opportunity to meet Mr. A. _____, father of the late princess of Manua.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
2. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
3. What was Slocum's opinion of the area?
4. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
5. Describe at least one incident in which money was given to support Slocum's journey.
6. How did the people of Mauritius celebrate the arrival of Slocum and the Spray?
7. Slocum recorded many unusual incidents along the way including the "rain of blood." What is the "rain of blood" and where is it found?
8. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
9. While on Samoa, Slocum played host to a number of people. List at least one of the instances.
10. Slocum received a pleasant surprise after he landed in Apia. What was the surprise?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)