|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Slocum's special guest?
(a) John Slocum.
(b) King of the islands.
(c) Mrs. Stevenson.
(d) Captain Howard.
2. Slocum talks about the unusual "rain of ____."
3. Who attempted to calm the people about Slocum's presence?
(c) Harbor Master.
4. The king was often referred to as the King of ______.
(a) The Great Spirit.
5. What common item was the real cause of the rain?
(c) Coral reefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the college the teachers represented?
2. How long did Slocum stay in that particular port?
3. On what date did the Spray reach Port Denison?
4. What group of islands was next on Slocum's route?
5. How long had it been since the king had lived up to his title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Spray land in South Africa? Who did Slocum meet there?
2. Who is King Malietoa? What is unusual about the King? Why did Slocum offer payment to the King?
3. How does capitalism become involved in the story?
4. Discuss Slocum's stay on Thursday Island. Why was Slocum's presence so important?
5. What was Slocum's opinion of Samoa? How did Slocum attempt to repay kindnesses?
6. What story does Slocum tell about introducing the islanders to donuts?
7. Examine Slocum's first interaction with the children of the island.
8. Discuss Slocum's arrival on the Keeling Cocos Islands. What was Slocum's first sign that he was getting close?
9. In chapter 12, the author talks about spending a lot of time in various ports. Discuss the stops and how they relate to Slocum's long stretches of time spent on the sea.
10. The Spray's next port was on the island of Rodriguez. Explain the expectation of Slocum's arrival.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)