|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
2. The man was which type of captain?
(a) Coast Guard.
3. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
4. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
5. What is the capital of the province where the Slocums lived?
6. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
(a) April 16.
(b) July 4.
(c) February 23.
(d) March 3.
7. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
(a) Changing clothes.
(b) Firing into the water.
(c) Switching directions.
(d) Welcoming him aboard.
8. What is bacalhao?
9. Just outside of Port Angosto, Slocum was greeted by which of the following:
(c) Island women.
10. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
11. What group of Indians chased the Spray in the Bay?
12. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
13. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
(a) Ice storms.
(b) Sea sickness.
14. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
(c) Northern Light.
15. Slocum had always longed to be a:
(b) Master shipbuilder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
2. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
3. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
4. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
5. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)