|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
2. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
3. Eventually, Slocum managed to right his course and navigate through which Channel?
4. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
5. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
6. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
(a) Cape Horn.
7. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
8. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
9. The man was which type of captain?
(d) Coast Guard.
10. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
(c) Prince Edward.
11. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
(a) Fresh water.
(b) Salted cod.
(d) Carpet tacks.
12. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
(a) Changing clothes.
(b) Welcoming him aboard.
(c) Switching directions.
(d) Firing into the water.
13. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
(d) Coffee grower.
14. How long had the boat been sitting in the captain's yard?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 7 years.
15. The boat was how many feet in length?
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
2. What is bacalhao?
3. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
4. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
5. What was the name of the capital?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)