|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(d) Northern Light.
2. What location was Slocum approaching when he just missed a shipwreck?
3. Slocum was able to right his course once again and was pleased to log approximately ___ miles per day.
4. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(c) Fishing equipment.
5. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
6. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(a) British Columbia.
(c) Nova Scotia.
7. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
(a) Cape Horn.
8. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
9. By this time, Slocum was celebrating which major holiday?
(b) Memorial Day.
(c) Fourth of July.
10. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
11. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
(a) Sea gull.
12. What type of wood did Slocum use to repair the Spray?
13. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
14. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
(c) Leather worker.
15. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
(a) Three Sisters Island.
(b) Bay of Fundy.
(c) Snug Bay.
(d) Three Cove Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the captain who made Slocum an offer he couldn't refuse?
2. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
3. The man was which type of captain?
4. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
5. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)