|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slocum also comments on a natural phenomenon known as a:
(a) Dog ear.
(b) Cat's paw.
(c) Gator nose.
(d) Pig foot.
2. What is the name of the ship Slocum passed early on in the voyage?
3. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
4. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
5. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
6. What is the name of Joshua Slocum's sister?
7. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
(a) Sea sickness.
(c) Ice storms.
8. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
9. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
(c) Northern Light.
10. What was the name of the man who led the pirates?
(a) Captain Bligh.
(b) Black Pedro.
11. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
(a) Cape May.
12. What group of Indians chased the Spray in the Bay?
13. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
(b) Cape Horn.
14. What was the name of the bay that was located nearby?
(a) Prince Edward.
15. What is a williwaw?
(c) Rain coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boat was how many feet in length?
2. Slocum's issues with thieves continued. The author points out an attack with a _____ arrow.
3. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
4. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
5. In what year was Slocum born?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)