|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift did the captain present to Slocum?
(a) Salted cod.
(b) Carpet tacks.
(d) Fresh water.
2. Slocum was able to right his course once again and was pleased to log approximately ___ miles per day.
3. What is bacalhao?
4. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
5. In what year was Slocum born?
6. What word does Slocum use to describe the boat's pace at this point?
7. How long had the boat been sitting in the captain's yard?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 12 years.
8. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
(d) Leather worker.
9. Once again Slocum was chased by savages. This time they were on the water in ___ canoes.
10. The crew gave Slocum a gift of milk and ______.
11. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
(a) March 3.
(b) April 16.
(c) February 23.
(d) July 4.
12. What is the name of the province where Slocum was born?
(c) British Columbia.
(d) Nova Scotia.
13. Where was Slocum when he encountered another captain?
(a) Cape May.
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) Cape Forward.
(d) Cape Horn.
14. What is a williwaw?
(c) Rain coat.
15. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boat that wrecked shortly before Slocum's arrival?
2. Where is Slocum at the beginning of chapter 6?
3. Slocum had always longed to be a:
4. Slocum details his experiences with a civilized little _____.
5. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)