|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of tree was prevalent around the Slocum house?
2. Who/what is Juan Fernandez?
(a) Coffee grower.
3. Slocum was able to right his course once again and was pleased to log approximately ___ miles per day.
4. Slocum was pleased when he was able to visit with the crew of which passing ship?
(c) Northern Light.
5. Slocum would eventually follow the route of which famous explorer?
6. On the first leg of the trip, Slocum sailed from Boston to which of the following locations?
(b) Cape Horn.
7. What was the name of Slocum's old adversary?
(a) De Mello.
(b) Van Sant.
(d) Van Pelt.
8. Slocum was offered a job aboard the experimental gunboat called:
9. What caused Slocum to vary his course?
(c) Broken mast.
10. What is a williwaw?
(b) Rain coat.
11. What was the name of the first boat co-owned by Slocum?
(a) Northern Light.
12. After leaving Port Tamar, Slocum guided the Spray to which location?
(a) Cape of Good Hope.
(b) Cape Hatteras.
(c) Cape George.
(d) Cape Pillar.
13. What previous trick had Slocum used to confuse Black Pedro?
(a) Firing into the water.
(b) Changing clothes.
(c) Switching directions.
(d) Welcoming him aboard.
14. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(a) Fishing equipment.
15. Slocum referred to which famous Pilgrim?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following began to become an issue for Slocum?
2. In what year did Slocum buy the boat from the captain?
3. In what year was Slocum born?
4. What adjective best describes the Brits' attitude toward Slocum?
5. After the encounter, Slocum docks at which location?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)