|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was not one of Slocum's boats?
(b) Northern Light.
(d) Southern Cross.
2. Which is not listed as being one of the authors read by Slocum?
3. What type of tree was prevalent around the Slocum house?
4. After leaving the Channel, Slocum was on course as he traveled through which Strait?
5. On what date did Slocum leave Port Tamar?
(a) July 4.
(b) February 23.
(c) March 3.
(d) April 16.
6. In what year did Slocum leave for his trip around the world?
7. What caused Slocum to vary his course?
(d) Broken mast.
8. What item did savages steal from Slocum?
(c) Fishing equipment.
9. Slocum says his father could make anything as long as he had which of the following:
10. Which of the following is not an adjective used by Slocum to describe his people?
11. How much would it have cost Slocum to join the union to work at the shipyard?
12. Just around this time Slocum has his first real encounter with which of the following:
(a) Sea sickness.
(d) Ice storms.
13. How long had the boat been sitting in the captain's yard?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 7 years.
14. What was the official occupation of John Slocum?
(b) Leather worker.
15. What word does Slocum use to describe Fuego?
Short Answer Questions
1. Slocum was able to right his course once again and was pleased to log approximately ___ miles per day.
2. The boat was how many feet in length?
3. What color are the hills of the next island approached by the Spray?
4. What is the name of the valley visible from the Slocum house?
5. What adjective is used to describe Slocum's friend the captain?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)