|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Benji get back into Jonni Waffle after everyone has closed up after the power outage?
2. What brand of frozen dinners do Benji and Reggie like best?
3. What kinds of things did Benji always used to get invited to?
4. What kind of car do Benji and his family drive out to Sag Harbor?
5. What does Benji suspect Meg's feelings are toward him during their time together at Jonni Waffle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonni Waffle do that makes it different from other ice cream shops?
2. Why does Benji pick the time he does for the BB gun fight?
3. What is the meaning behind the title of Chapter 3?
4. How is life in Sag Harbor different than life in the city for Benji?
5. What happened between Benji and Emily at the roller rink?
6. Why is it nearly dark when the boys decide to begin their BB gun fight?
7. What was Randy supposed to have done with his gun during the BB fight?
8. How do Benji and his friends react when they see a white couple walking along the beach in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Benji decide he needs a job?
10. What does Benji panic about when he loses his footing while out in the ocean in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whitehead, faces when having a novel take place during a specific decade from the past (e.g., the 1980s). Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Sag Harbor" to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Benji's family's drive out to Sag Harbor 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Benji that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Whitehead uses to make one character of your choosing from the "Sag Harbor" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)