|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nick and NP discuss most of the time they are at Jonni Waffle?
2. Why does Martine pat Benji on the head one afternoon?
3. What does Benji do first when he gets to Sag Harbor?
4. What kind of place is Jonni Waffle?
5. How do Benji and Reggie get a BB gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benji panic about when he loses his footing while out in the ocean in Chapter 2?
2. Why does Benji claim all of his friend's disasters happened on Thursday?
3. What is Nick's living situation?
4. What is the meaning behind the title of Chapter 3?
5. What makes Benji think he was popular in junior high?
6. What kind of things do Reggie and Benji wonder about during their drive out to Sag Harbor?
7. Why is it nearly dark when the boys decide to begin their BB gun fight?
8. Why does Martine patting Benji on the head create such a commotion among the boys?
9. What does Benji's mother say when he tells her that the power at the beach house has been shut off?
10. What made people think Reggie and Benji were twins as they were growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Benji's family's drive out to Sag Harbor 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Benji that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 3 things that Whitehead is able to do with the character of Benji because he is a teenager AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with him because he is a teenager.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from the "Sag Harbor," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)