|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 4?
2. Why does Martine pat Benji on the head one afternoon?
3. How is Benji currently viewed by his classmates?
4. How does Reggie react to the suggestion that he wear goggles during the BB gun fight?
5. What does NP think of Martine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Benji's parents get home after the BB gun fight?
2. How does the crew at Jonni Waffle try to save the ice cream during the power outage?
3. Why do Randy and NP get into their big fight in Chapter 4?
4. What does Benji panic about when he loses his footing while out in the ocean in Chapter 2?
5. What does Benji's dad tell him about being left alone at Sag Harbor?
6. Why does Benji decide he needs a job?
7. What makes Benji think he was popular in junior high?
8. What is Nick's living situation?
9. Why does Benji claim all of his friend's disasters happened on Thursday?
10. Why do Benji and Reggie go to different high schools?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Whitehead uses to make one character of your choosing from the "Sag Harbor" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least one female character from "Sag Harbor" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Benji's family's drive out to Sag Harbor 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 3 key facts about Benji that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)