|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of things did Benji always used to get invited to?
2. What is Benji unable to do the day the power goes out at his house?
3. What does NP think of Martine?
4. Which character does NOT work at Jonni Waffle?
5. Why does Martine pat Benji on the head one afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonni Waffle do that makes it different from other ice cream shops?
2. What happened between Benji and Emily after the roller rink?
3. What made people think Reggie and Benji were twins as they were growing up?
4. What is the situation with Randy's father?
5. Why is it nearly dark when the boys decide to begin their BB gun fight?
6. How do Benji and his friends react when they see a white couple walking along the beach in Chapter 2?
7. Why does Benji pick the time he does for the BB gun fight?
8. How is life in Sag Harbor different than life in the city for Benji?
9. Why does Benji leave the freezer doors in Jonni Waffle open during the power outage?
10. Why does Martine patting Benji on the head create such a commotion among the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from the "Sag Harbor," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that could have been easily carried over into a second novel about Benji's summers in Sag Harbor.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)