|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is going on when the power at Jonni Waffle goes out?
2. Why does Martine pat Benji on the head one afternoon?
3. Who gets in trouble for leaving the freezer doors open when the power goes out at Jonni Waffle?
4. What happens to Randy's car as the boys prepare to leave the beach in Chapter 2?
5. When did Benji and Reggie no longer start to act like twins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonni Waffle do that makes it different from other ice cream shops?
2. What was Randy supposed to have done with his gun during the BB fight?
3. What happened between Benji and Emily after the roller rink?
4. What is Benji imagining as he gets closer to his house in Sag Harbor?
5. Why is it nearly dark when the boys decide to begin their BB gun fight?
6. What gives Randy so much power over the other boys, at least in Chapter 2?
7. What is Nick's living situation?
8. What is the situation with Randy's father?
9. What does Benji panic about when he loses his footing while out in the ocean in Chapter 2?
10. Why does Benji think the boys have taken up BB guns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the tone of the novel and discuss 3 literary devices that Whitehead uses to create that tone.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 4 aspects of "Sag Harbor" that could have been easily carried over into a second novel about Benji's summers in Sag Harbor.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument discussing whether or not Benji is a good role model for young readers.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)