|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Meg and Benji continually doing when they "accidentally" bump into each other?
2. What impressive skill does Marcus have?
3. What must Benji do to feel comfortable being out in the water?
4. What time of year do Benji and his family drive out to Sag Harbor?
5. Who comes to Benji's rescue in the water in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nick's living situation?
2. Why is it nearly dark when the boys decide to begin their BB gun fight?
3. How is life in Sag Harbor different than life in the city for Benji?
4. Why does Benji pick the time he does for the BB gun fight?
5. Why does Benji claim all of his friend's disasters happened on Thursday?
6. Why does Benji decide he needs a job?
7. What does Benji's dad tell him about being left alone at Sag Harbor?
8. Why do Randy and NP get into their big fight in Chapter 4?
9. What gives Randy so much power over the other boys, at least in Chapter 2?
10. How does Benji describe the manager of Jonni Waffle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 female characters from "Sag Harbor." Make sure to use specific evidence and quotations from the novel to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 challenges an author, like Whitehead, faces when having a novel take place during a specific decade from the past (e.g., the 1980s). Make sure to use at least 3 examples from "Sag Harbor" to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 literary devices Whitehead uses within the first 2 chapters to help the reader better understand Benji as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)