|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Reggie's work located?
2. What must Benji do to feel comfortable being out in the water?
3. What do NP and Randy do with their BB guns in the park one day?
4. How do the other boys react immediately after Martine pats Benji on the head?
5. How many songs did Benji skate to while holding hands with a girl at the roller rink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benji think the boys have taken up BB guns?
2. What happens when Benji's parents get home after the BB gun fight?
3. Why does Martine patting Benji on the head create such a commotion among the boys?
4. What happened between Benji and Emily at the roller rink?
5. What is Benji imagining as he gets closer to his house in Sag Harbor?
6. Why does Benji decide he needs a job?
7. What gives Randy so much power over the other boys, at least in Chapter 2?
8. What happened between Benji and Emily after the roller rink?
9. What does Benji panic about when he loses his footing while out in the ocean in Chapter 2?
10. How do Benji and his friends react when they see a white couple walking along the beach in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least 3 things that Whitehead is able to do with the character of Benji because he is a teenager AND at least 3 things he is not able to do with him because he is a teenager.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least 4 features of Benji and how those features fulfill the traditional, literary requirements of a teenager/young adult.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques Whitehead uses to create humor in "Sag Harbor."
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)