|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan resolve?
2. What sometimes happens when angelic souls overshadow primitive animals to experience life through them?
3. To which self does survival, creativity, and power belong?
4. According to Mama Chia, what does shape shifting involve?
5. Where do Mama Chia, Sachi and Dan go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
2. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
3. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
4. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
5. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
6. Where does Mama Chia take Dan to stay for a few days and what is his initial response?
7. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
8. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
9. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
10. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)