|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dan awakes on the other side, what happens?
2. What does the Tower represent?
3. What does the world mirror?
4. If Dan fails in the task Mama Chia gives him, what will happen?
5. What happens when Mama Chia throws the bird in the air.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
2. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
3. How does Mama Chia say shape shifting works and explain what you think she means.
4. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
5. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
6. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
7. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
8. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
9. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
10. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear seems to be something that Dan must overcome or let go. In chapter 12, he has an experience while lying beside the grave he has dug. Discuss the following:
What are some of the fears Dan must overcome or let go of? Discuss them using examples from throughout the text.
What ways does Dan use to overcome his fears? Use specific examples.
Do you think Dan is fear free when he leaves Hawaii? Why or why not?
Could the ways Dan uses to overcome his fears work for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)