|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Mama Chia lead Dan?
2. Where do Mama Chia, Sachi and Dan go?
3. What happens when Mama Chia throws the bird in the air.
4. Why is Dan afraid?
5. Why should Dan meditate by the waterfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
2. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
3. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
4. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
5. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
6. Where does Mama Chia take Dan to stay for a few days and what is his initial response?
7. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
8. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
9. How does Mama Chia say shape shifting works and explain what you think she means.
10. What does the third level concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 3
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)