|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Mama Chia throws the bird in the air.
2. What must one do every day?
3. What does Mama Chia do to her pet bird?
4. What do Mama Chia and Dan do with the thousands of starfish washed up on the beach?
5. How has Mama Chia made peace with being comfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
2. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
3. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
4. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
5. What is foreshadowed in this section?
6. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
7. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
8. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
9. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
10. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
Essay Topic 2
Fear seems to be something that Dan must overcome or let go. In chapter 12, he has an experience while lying beside the grave he has dug. Discuss the following:
What are some of the fears Dan must overcome or let go of? Discuss them using examples from throughout the text.
What ways does Dan use to overcome his fears? Use specific examples.
Do you think Dan is fear free when he leaves Hawaii? Why or why not?
Could the ways Dan uses to overcome his fears work for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)