|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dan assigned to work?
2. Who is Dan's guardian angel?
3. To which self does survival, creativity, and power belong?
4. For what is Mama Chia at high risk?
5. If Dan fails in the task Mama Chia gives him, what will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
2. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
3. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
4. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
5. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
6. What is foreshadowed in this section?
7. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
8. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
9. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
10. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells about her friend, Fuji, whose love is photography, who after 30 years loses everything in a fire, but having learned to see life as beauty and harmony, gets over the loss. Discuss the following:
What losses has Dan suffered that would be difficult to let go of?
Often when there is a loss, a gain fills the void. What does Dan gain that fills any loss he suffers?
Have you had a time when you suffered what seems to be an unbearable loss and gained something precious in its place. Explain.
How have you dealt with one significant loss in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)