|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia draw?
2. For what is Mama Chia at high risk?
3. Out of what can one do for others on a level where altruism and love do not yet exist?
4. What does Mama Chia have Dan dig?
5. To what do some peaceful warrior souls agree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
2. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
3. What is foreshadowed in this section?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
6. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
7. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
8. What does the third level concern?
9. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
10. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 2
While Dan is meditating, he realizes he must accept what is rather than cling to illusions. Discuss the following:
To what sort of illusions do you think Dan is clinging?
Can being in denial (or clinging to illusions) sometimes be a good thing?
If Dan (or anyone) accepts what is, then how are they motivated to change for the better?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)