|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia do to her pet bird?
2. What is Sachi doing?
3. What does Dan do just before darkness falls?
4. Where is Dan assigned to work?
5. What does Mama Chia tell Tia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
2. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
3. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
6. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
7. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
8. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
9. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
10. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan admits to Mama Chia that he is drained and depressed, she says that he is on the right track. Discuss one of the following:
How do you think something like depression or fatigue can mean one is on the right track in a search for spiritual enlightenment? Discuss fully with examples from the text and personal experience.
If Dan is on the right track as he is feeling drained and depressed, what do you think Mama Chia's response would be at this point in the book if Dan said he is elated and optimistic? Explain fully.
What can states of being such as depression teach someone? Elaborate fully.
Essay Topic 2
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)