|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mama Chia, Sachi and Dan go?
2. What does Dan do just before darkness falls?
3. To what do some peaceful warrior souls agree?
4. What does Mama Chia tell Dan?
5. What are an Indian leper, a French drunk, a suburban teen sniffing drugs, and a dying African baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
2. Where does Mama Chia take Dan to stay for a few days and what is his initial response?
3. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
4. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
5. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
6. What does the third level concern?
7. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
8. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
9. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
10. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 2
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
Essay Topic 3
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)