|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia have Dan dig?
2. Out of what can one do for others on a level where altruism and love do not yet exist?
3. How has Mama Chia made peace with being comfortable?
4. What do Mama Chia and Dan do with the thousands of starfish washed up on the beach?
5. Where has Dan been?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
2. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
3. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
4. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
5. What is foreshadowed in this section?
6. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
7. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
8. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
9. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
10. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan admits to Mama Chia that he is drained and depressed, she says that he is on the right track. Discuss one of the following:
How do you think something like depression or fatigue can mean one is on the right track in a search for spiritual enlightenment? Discuss fully with examples from the text and personal experience.
If Dan is on the right track as he is feeling drained and depressed, what do you think Mama Chia's response would be at this point in the book if Dan said he is elated and optimistic? Explain fully.
What can states of being such as depression teach someone? Elaborate fully.
Essay Topic 2
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)