|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia do to her pet bird?
2. Out of what can one do for others on a level where altruism and love do not yet exist?
3. When Dan stops being an observer to become part of the community, what happens?
4. What do Mama Chia and Dan do with the thousands of starfish washed up on the beach?
5. What is Sachi doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
2. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
3. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
4. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
5. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
6. What is foreshadowed in this section?
7. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
8. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
9. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
10. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia tells about her friend, Fuji, whose love is photography, who after 30 years loses everything in a fire, but having learned to see life as beauty and harmony, gets over the loss. Discuss the following:
What losses has Dan suffered that would be difficult to let go of?
Often when there is a loss, a gain fills the void. What does Dan gain that fills any loss he suffers?
Have you had a time when you suffered what seems to be an unbearable loss and gained something precious in its place. Explain.
How have you dealt with one significant loss in your life?
Essay Topic 2
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 3
While Millman is in India, he does many of the things Westerners seems to do when they are searching in the Near East for "enlightenment." Discuss the following:
What are some of the activities in which Dan participates in his travels in India?
Why do you think the things Dan does in India do not seem to bring him the results for which he is hoping?
Why do you think many Westerners see India/Nepal/Tibet as places where they can find a spiritual path/enlightenment?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)