|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Dan struggle as they are walking along the cliff?
2. To where does Dan go in his mind?
3. To where does Mama Chia take Dan?
4. What does the Tower represent?
5. How does Dan embrace life after facing death?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
2. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
3. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
4. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
5. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
6. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
7. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
8. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
9. What does the third level concern?
10. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)