|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are aware at birth?
2. What does Mama Chia declare about her, Dan and Socrates?
3. Who has guarded Molokai for four centuries?
4. As Mama Chia hurries among gravestones and speaks with new urgency, what does Dan feel?
5. To whom does Mama Chia wish Dan to be grateful?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
2. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
3. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. What does the third level concern?
6. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
7. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
8. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
9. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
10. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 2
Fear seems to be something that Dan must overcome or let go. In chapter 12, he has an experience while lying beside the grave he has dug. Discuss the following:
What are some of the fears Dan must overcome or let go of? Discuss them using examples from throughout the text.
What ways does Dan use to overcome his fears? Use specific examples.
Do you think Dan is fear free when he leaves Hawaii? Why or why not?
Could the ways Dan uses to overcome his fears work for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)