|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan feel about being naked when Mama Chia appears?
2. Who is Dan's guardian angel?
3. To where does Mama Chia lead Dan?
4. What does the tiger do?
5. What are an Indian leper, a French drunk, a suburban teen sniffing drugs, and a dying African baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
2. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
3. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
4. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
5. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
6. What does the third level concern?
7. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
8. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
9. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
10. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace images of the Basic Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Conscious Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Higher Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Essay Topic 2
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)