|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task does Mama Chia give Dan?
2. Where is Dan at the opening to chapter 13?
3. What does Dan realize about the lower floors?
4. What does Dan do just before darkness falls?
5. What are an Indian leper, a French drunk, a suburban teen sniffing drugs, and a dying African baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
2. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
3. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
4. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
5. What is foreshadowed in this section?
6. How does Mama Chia say shape shifting works and explain what you think she means.
7. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
8. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
9. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
10. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
Essay Topic 2
Dan talks about death, which has bothered him since the surfboard incident. He recalls an Oberlin student dying despite prayers. Mama Chia says that God always answers prayers but sometimes says no, as do loving parents. Discuss the following:
What is prayer?
Why do you think many people pray?
Do you think most people truly believe their prayers will be answered?
Why does it seem many people are surprised when it appears that their prayer(s) have been answered?
Essay Topic 3
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)