|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until the fourth floor, around what are the many kinds of love centered?
2. Of what does the storekeeper warn Dan?
3. Where is Dan at the opening to chapter 13?
4. What does Dan do just before darkness falls?
5. What is Sachi doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
2. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
3. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
6. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
7. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
8. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
9. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
10. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Dan is meditating, he realizes he must accept what is rather than cling to illusions. Discuss the following:
To what sort of illusions do you think Dan is clinging?
Can being in denial (or clinging to illusions) sometimes be a good thing?
If Dan (or anyone) accepts what is, then how are they motivated to change for the better?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells about her friend, Fuji, whose love is photography, who after 30 years loses everything in a fire, but having learned to see life as beauty and harmony, gets over the loss. Discuss the following:
What losses has Dan suffered that would be difficult to let go of?
Often when there is a loss, a gain fills the void. What does Dan gain that fills any loss he suffers?
Have you had a time when you suffered what seems to be an unbearable loss and gained something precious in its place. Explain.
How have you dealt with one significant loss in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)