|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first window show?
2. What does Mama Chia say Dan has become?
3. What sometimes happens when angelic souls overshadow primitive animals to experience life through them?
4. What does each floor represent?
5. What does Mama Chia have Dan dig?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
2. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
3. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
4. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
5. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
6. What is foreshadowed in this section?
7. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
8. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
9. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
10. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 3
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)