|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dan awakes on the other side, what happens?
2. Who are aware at birth?
3. What are an Indian leper, a French drunk, a suburban teen sniffing drugs, and a dying African baby?
4. What does the Tower represent?
5. Who has guarded Molokai for four centuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
2. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
3. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
6. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
7. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
8. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
9. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
10. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 2
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)