|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is she determined to live?
2. What do Mama Chia and Dan do with the thousands of starfish washed up on the beach?
3. Where do Mama Chia, Sachi and Dan go?
4. Why should Dan meditate by the waterfall?
5. What does each floor represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
2. What happens with Dan and the punks and do you think it will have significance later?
3. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
6. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
7. What does the third level concern?
8. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says that "The Great Leap" is frightful, but above the heart, it becomes "an elevator ride?"
9. What does Dan realize he has to do and what do you think that means?
10. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 2
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
Essay Topic 3
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)