|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
2. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
3. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
4. Once Mama Chia has taken Dan to the edge and points the way, what does he have to do?
5. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
2. What does Dan do while in India?
3. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
4. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
5. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
6. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
7. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
8. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
9. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
10. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 2
Dan talks about death, which has bothered him since the surfboard incident. He recalls an Oberlin student dying despite prayers. Mama Chia says that God always answers prayers but sometimes says no, as do loving parents. Discuss the following:
What is prayer?
Why do you think many people pray?
Do you think most people truly believe their prayers will be answered?
Why does it seem many people are surprised when it appears that their prayer(s) have been answered?
Essay Topic 3
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)