|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grant is Millman awarded?
2. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
3. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
4. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
5. Why does Dan have to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
2. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
3. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
4. Where does Mama Chia take Dan to stay for a few days and what is his initial response?
5. Explain the incident with the starfish and the possible meaning of it.
6. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
7. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
8. What is one thing Dan learns in his retreat to the dark hut.
9. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
10. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
Essay Topic 1
Fear seems to be something that Dan must overcome or let go. In chapter 12, he has an experience while lying beside the grave he has dug. Discuss the following:
What are some of the fears Dan must overcome or let go of? Discuss them using examples from throughout the text.
What ways does Dan use to overcome his fears? Use specific examples.
Do you think Dan is fear free when he leaves Hawaii? Why or why not?
Could the ways Dan uses to overcome his fears work for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
This section contains 2,459 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)