|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the conscious self become?
2. What does she do after drawing the figure?
3. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
4. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
5. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
2. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
3. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
4. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
5. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
6. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
7. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
8. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
9. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
10. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 2
Fear seems to be something that Dan must overcome or let go. In chapter 12, he has an experience while lying beside the grave he has dug. Discuss the following:
What are some of the fears Dan must overcome or let go of? Discuss them using examples from throughout the text.
What ways does Dan use to overcome his fears? Use specific examples.
Do you think Dan is fear free when he leaves Hawaii? Why or why not?
Could the ways Dan uses to overcome his fears work for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)