|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
2. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
3. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
4. What does the conscious self become?
5. What color does Dan's belly glow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
3. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
4. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
5. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
6. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
7. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
8. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
9. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
10. What does Dan do while in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 2
After a few days, Dan is washed up on the island of Molokai. Discuss the following:
What is a brief history of the island of Molokai?
What are possible symbolic interpretations of the fact that Dan lands on Molokai instead of any other of the Hawaiian Islands?
When Molokai first becomes established as a leper colony in the 1800's, there is no cure for leprosy, though there is today. What is Dan's "illness?" Do you think, based on the first few chapters, Dan will find a cure for his "illness" on Molokai?
Essay Topic 3
Trace images of the Basic Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Conscious Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Higher Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)