|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
2. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
3. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
4. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
5. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
2. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
3. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
4. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
5. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
6. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
7. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
8. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
9. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
10. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia tells about her friend, Fuji, whose love is photography, who after 30 years loses everything in a fire, but having learned to see life as beauty and harmony, gets over the loss. Discuss the following:
What losses has Dan suffered that would be difficult to let go of?
Often when there is a loss, a gain fills the void. What does Dan gain that fills any loss he suffers?
Have you had a time when you suffered what seems to be an unbearable loss and gained something precious in its place. Explain.
How have you dealt with one significant loss in your life?
Essay Topic 2
After a few days, Dan is washed up on the island of Molokai. Discuss the following:
What is a brief history of the island of Molokai?
What are possible symbolic interpretations of the fact that Dan lands on Molokai instead of any other of the Hawaiian Islands?
When Molokai first becomes established as a leper colony in the 1800's, there is no cure for leprosy, though there is today. What is Dan's "illness?" Do you think, based on the first few chapters, Dan will find a cure for his "illness" on Molokai?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)