|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
2. What does the conscious self become?
3. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
4. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
4. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
5. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
6. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
7. What does Dan do while in India?
8. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
9. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
10. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)