|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
2. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
3. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
4. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
5. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
2. What vision does Dan have as he meditates by the waterfall?
3. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
4. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
5. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
6. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
7. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
8. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
9. How does Mama Chia answer Dan's question about having money and supporting his family?
10. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 2
While Millman is in India, he does many of the things Westerners seems to do when they are searching in the Near East for "enlightenment." Discuss the following:
What are some of the activities in which Dan participates in his travels in India?
Why do you think the things Dan does in India do not seem to bring him the results for which he is hoping?
Why do you think many Westerners see India/Nepal/Tibet as places where they can find a spiritual path/enlightenment?
Essay Topic 3
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
This section contains 2,563 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)