|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
2. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
3. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
4. Who is Ruth Johnson?
5. What color does Dan's belly glow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
2. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
3. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
4. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
5. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
6. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
7. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
8. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
9. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
10. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells about her friend, Fuji, whose love is photography, who after 30 years loses everything in a fire, but having learned to see life as beauty and harmony, gets over the loss. Discuss the following:
What losses has Dan suffered that would be difficult to let go of?
Often when there is a loss, a gain fills the void. What does Dan gain that fills any loss he suffers?
Have you had a time when you suffered what seems to be an unbearable loss and gained something precious in its place. Explain.
How have you dealt with one significant loss in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)