|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
2. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
4. What is the feeling of stagnation?
5. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
2. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
3. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
4. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
5. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
6. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
7. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
8. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
9. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
10. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
Essay Topic 2
After a few days, Dan is washed up on the island of Molokai. Discuss the following:
What is a brief history of the island of Molokai?
What are possible symbolic interpretations of the fact that Dan lands on Molokai instead of any other of the Hawaiian Islands?
When Molokai first becomes established as a leper colony in the 1800's, there is no cure for leprosy, though there is today. What is Dan's "illness?" Do you think, based on the first few chapters, Dan will find a cure for his "illness" on Molokai?
Essay Topic 3
Dan talks about death, which has bothered him since the surfboard incident. He recalls an Oberlin student dying despite prayers. Mama Chia says that God always answers prayers but sometimes says no, as do loving parents. Discuss the following:
What is prayer?
Why do you think many people pray?
Do you think most people truly believe their prayers will be answered?
Why does it seem many people are surprised when it appears that their prayer(s) have been answered?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)