|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
2. What does the author do on his wedding night?
3. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
4. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
5. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
2. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
3. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
4. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
5. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
6. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
7. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
8. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
9. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
10. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)