Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Essay Topic 1
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 3
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
This section contains 2,414 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)