|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
2. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
3. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
4. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
5. For whom does Mitsu yell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. What does Dan do while in India?
4. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
5. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
6. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
7. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
8. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
9. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
10. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
Essay Topic 2
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
Essay Topic 3
When Dan admits to Mama Chia that he is drained and depressed, she says that he is on the right track. Discuss one of the following:
How do you think something like depression or fatigue can mean one is on the right track in a search for spiritual enlightenment? Discuss fully with examples from the text and personal experience.
If Dan is on the right track as he is feeling drained and depressed, what do you think Mama Chia's response would be at this point in the book if Dan said he is elated and optimistic? Explain fully.
What can states of being such as depression teach someone? Elaborate fully.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)