|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
2. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
3. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
4. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
5. What does the conscious self become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
2. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
3. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
4. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
5. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
6. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
7. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
8. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
9. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
10. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 2
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)