|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
2. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
3. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
4. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
5. What does Sachi ask her baby brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
2. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
3. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
4. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
5. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
6. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
7. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
8. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
9. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
10. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)