|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
2. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
3. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
4. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
5. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
3. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
4. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
5. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
6. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
7. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
8. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
9. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
10. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 3
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)