Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
Trace images of the Basic Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Conscious Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Higher Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Essay Topic 3
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)