|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
2. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
3. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
4. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
5. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
4. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
5. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
6. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
7. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
8. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
9. What does Dan do while in India?
10. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan writes that every day one must choose to master the energy of life or squander it. Discuss the following:
What do you think Dan means by the above statement? Give examples from the text and your own life if applicable.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan squanders the energy of life.
Analyze and discuss several times in the text when you think Dan masters the energy of life.
Essay Topic 2
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)