|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
2. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
3. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
4. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
5. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
2. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
3. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
4. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
5. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
6. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
7. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
8. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
9. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
10. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
Essay Topic 3
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)