|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
2. For what does Dan listen?
3. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
4. What is the feeling of stagnation?
5. What is the law of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
2. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
3. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
4. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
5. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
6. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
7. What does Dan do while in India?
8. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
9. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
10. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
Essay Topic 3
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)