Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Essay Topic 1
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
Essay Topic 2
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)