|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
2. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
3. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
4. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
5. What does the author do on his wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
2. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
3. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
4. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
5. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
6. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
7. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
8. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
9. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
10. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan admits to Mama Chia that he is drained and depressed, she says that he is on the right track. Discuss one of the following:
How do you think something like depression or fatigue can mean one is on the right track in a search for spiritual enlightenment? Discuss fully with examples from the text and personal experience.
If Dan is on the right track as he is feeling drained and depressed, what do you think Mama Chia's response would be at this point in the book if Dan said he is elated and optimistic? Explain fully.
What can states of being such as depression teach someone? Elaborate fully.
Essay Topic 2
Besides being a retired banker, Mama Chia is also a midwife, who is busy bringing a new life into the world while Dan is recuperating from exposure and dehydration. Discuss one of the following:
What are the parallels between Dan's surfboard experience and Mama Chia bringing a new baby into the world?
Discuss the seeming paradox that Mama Chia works for and retires from a bank and is also a shaman and midwife.
What do you think Dan needs to birth?
Essay Topic 3
Dan Millman decides to go to India in search of some sort of spiritual enlightenment. Discuss the following:
Why does Millman think he needs to go to India?
Why do you think many Westerners go to places such as India and Tibet in search of spiritual enlightenment?
Do you think Dan could have found what he needed where he lives in Ohio?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)