|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
2. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
3. Where does Millman decide to go?
4. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
5. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
2. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
3. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
4. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
5. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
6. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
7. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
8. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
9. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
10. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After a few days, Dan is washed up on the island of Molokai. Discuss the following:
What is a brief history of the island of Molokai?
What are possible symbolic interpretations of the fact that Dan lands on Molokai instead of any other of the Hawaiian Islands?
When Molokai first becomes established as a leper colony in the 1800's, there is no cure for leprosy, though there is today. What is Dan's "illness?" Do you think, based on the first few chapters, Dan will find a cure for his "illness" on Molokai?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia leads Dan to a village of people suffering from leprosy. Discuss the following:
What is Dan's initial reaction to his "assignment" from Mama Chia? Why?
How and why does Dan's attitude eventually change? Does the change seem sincere?
What do you think is the purpose of this situation in which Mama Chia places Dan?
How do you think you would handle a similar situation?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)