|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
2. For whom does Mitsu yell?
3. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
4. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
5. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
3. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
4. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
5. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
6. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
7. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
10. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Dan is meditating, he realizes he must accept what is rather than cling to illusions. Discuss the following:
To what sort of illusions do you think Dan is clinging?
Can being in denial (or clinging to illusions) sometimes be a good thing?
If Dan (or anyone) accepts what is, then how are they motivated to change for the better?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dan says that Mama Chia mentions an Arab aphorism, "Trust God but tie the camel." Discuss the following:
Research and discuss the origins of this saying and to what it originally applied.
How does Mama Chia use it in the context of this book? Does it seem appropriate?
How does Dan respond to her statement? Does he "tie his camel"? Discuss fully.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)