Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Once Dan has found Ruth Johnson, she gives him a note with some instructions. Discuss the following:
Do you think Dan is wise to blindly follow the note which has him do something that is quite foolhardy?
Given that Dan later learns that he lost part of the note and he was supposed to take food, water and sunscreen, do you think if he had had the complete set of instructions from the beginning he would have been justified in following the path he chooses?
There is a aphorism, "no pain, no gain." Does this saying apply in Dan's experience with the surfboard?
Mama Chia tells a story about Sachi, who goes up to her baby brother and asks, "'Baby, tell me what God feels like. I'm starting to forget.'" Discuss the following:
What do you think this story means?
Do you think traditional religions would have an explanation for this story?
Do you think infants and young children are closer to God than older children and adults? Why or why not?
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)