Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Essay Topic 1
Dan talks about death, which has bothered him since the surfboard incident. He recalls an Oberlin student dying despite prayers. Mama Chia says that God always answers prayers but sometimes says no, as do loving parents. Discuss the following:
What is prayer?
Why do you think many people pray?
Do you think most people truly believe their prayers will be answered?
Why does it seem many people are surprised when it appears that their prayer(s) have been answered?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Dan as who he is at the beginning of the book to who he seems to be at the end of the book.
Compare and contrast Mama Chia's spiritual ideas with those of your own.
Compare and contrast Dan's experience on the surfboard with the most harrowing experience you have had and what you both learned from your experience.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)