|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the conscious self become?
2. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
3. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
4. Who is Ruth Johnson?
5. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
2. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
3. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
4. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
5. How is Kimo so much like many people?
6. To whom does Mama Chia want Dan to be grateful and what does that mean?
7. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
8. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
9. What does the third level concern?
10. Why do you think Mama Chia is rehearsing her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dan encounters "Beer Belly" (Kimo) and they become friends. Discuss the following:
What are the ways Dan makes it possible for the encounter with Kimo to turn out in a positive way?
What might Dan have done that could have made the encounter conclude with a less-than-desirable end?
What do you think Dan learns from Kimo?
What do you think Kimo learns from Dan?
Essay Topic 2
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
Essay Topic 3
As Mama Chia and Dan are hiking, Mama Chia declares that Dan is strong enough to carry her backpack and sets off. Dan laments, knowing that he is supposed to do something but does nothing. Discuss one of the following:
Analyze what you think Dan is supposed to do and why he seems paralyzed in inaction.
How does Dan finally overcome his inability to do what he is supposed to do?
Do you feel there is something important in your life that you are to do? Discuss your approach to fulfilling that sense of purpose.
This section contains 2,379 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)