|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
2. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
3. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
4. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
5. For whom does Mitsu yell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
2. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
3. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
4. What does Dan do while in India?
5. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
6. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
7. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
8. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
9. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
10. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dan has a stopover in Hawaii, he decides to search for a woman about whom Socrates told him. Discuss the following:
How likely is it that Dan will find the woman for whom he is searching in a city of several hundred thousand (at that time)people? Do you think the fact that he finds her is miraculous or coincidental?
Dan might say his finding Ruth Johnson is not coincidental but rather serendipitous or perhaps meant to be. Discuss this idea.
What does it say about Dan or Dan's situation that he even attempts such a daunting task as finding a woman whose name, age, place of work or home is unknown in a city the size of Honolulu?
Essay Topic 2
While Millman is in India, he does many of the things Westerners seems to do when they are searching in the Near East for "enlightenment." Discuss the following:
What are some of the activities in which Dan participates in his travels in India?
Why do you think the things Dan does in India do not seem to bring him the results for which he is hoping?
Why do you think many Westerners see India/Nepal/Tibet as places where they can find a spiritual path/enlightenment?
Essay Topic 3
Mama Chia's purpose in mentoring Dan seems to be to teach him about the three selves. Discuss one of the following:
What are the three selves. Discuss fully.
Discuss the symbolic representations of the three selves both in the book and in your own experience.
Discuss whether or not you think the idea of three selves has validity as truth.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)