Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
Essay Topic 1
While Millman is in India, he does many of the things Westerners seems to do when they are searching in the Near East for "enlightenment." Discuss the following:
What are some of the activities in which Dan participates in his travels in India?
Why do you think the things Dan does in India do not seem to bring him the results for which he is hoping?
Why do you think many Westerners see India/Nepal/Tibet as places where they can find a spiritual path/enlightenment?
Essay Topic 2
When Dan admits to Mama Chia that he is drained and depressed, she says that he is on the right track. Discuss one of the following:
How do you think something like depression or fatigue can mean one is on the right track in a search for spiritual enlightenment? Discuss fully with examples from the text and personal experience.
If Dan is on the right track as he is feeling drained and depressed, what do you think Mama Chia's response would be at this point in the book if Dan said he is elated and optimistic? Explain fully.
What can states of being such as depression teach someone? Elaborate fully.
Essay Topic 3
Trace images of the Basic Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Conscious Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
Trace images of the Higher Self throughout the text and thoroughly analyze it and the symbols associated with it.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)