|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He was suicidal.
(b) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(c) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(d) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
(a) Oberlin College.
(c) University of Ohio.
(d) University of Georgia.
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) With drugs.
(b) By evoking the goddess of healing.
(c) By working with his basic self.
(d) With meditation.
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) The unconscious.
(b) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(c) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(d) Death and rebirth.
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The soul getting a running start.
(b) A waste of energy.
(c) The hope of moving forward.
(d) A means of staying quiet to heal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
2. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
3. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
4. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
5. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about second-floor energies?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. How is Kimo so much like many people?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
7. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
8. What does Dan do while in India?
9. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
10. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)