|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(b) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(c) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(d) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
2. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) His wife.
(b) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
(c) A native Hawaiian man.
(d) A professor from Stanford.
3. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She flunks out.
(b) She is lame.
(c) She dies.
(d) She is not found in the woods.
4. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) To learn faith.
(b) To learn how to let go.
(c) As a way to solve other problems.
(d) To get one's attention.
5. What does the conscious self become?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A wheel.
(c) An arch.
(d) A robot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she do after drawing the figure?
2. What grant is Millman awarded?
3. What is the law of faith?
4. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
5. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
3. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
4. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
5. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
6. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
7. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
8. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
9. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
10. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)