|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
(a) A dead albatross.
(b) A shore.
(c) A fishing pole entangled in kelp.
(d) A floating bottle of water.
2. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
(a) His inner records.
(c) Another man on a similar journey.
(d) Dan's daughter.
3. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
(a) A personal ad in the newspaper.
(b) Writing back to Socrates and waiting for his answer.
(c) Going from bank to bank.
(d) Asking his wife.
4. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
(a) Leaving his students.
(b) Leaving his ailing father.
(c) Leaving his wife.
(d) Leaving his daughter.
5. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
2. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
3. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
4. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
5. For what does Dan listen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Dan change his mind about the settlement? How?
2. How do you think Dan uses his "inner senses" to guide him to figure out Mama Chia's puzzle?
3. Where does Mama Chia take Dan to stay for a few days and what is his initial response?
4. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
5. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
6. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
7. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
8. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
9. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
10. What does the third level concern?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)