|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(b) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
(c) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
(d) "'End before you start.'"
2. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
(a) That flesh and spirit are not separate.
(b) That life is more important than the between life.
(c) That flesh is impure.
(d) That spirit is ascendent over flesh.
3. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(b) He cannot find a board.
(c) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(d) A new slick, fiberglass board.
4. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(b) Rouses him.
(c) Sends him back to the mainland.
(d) Sends him on a mystical journey.
5. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Surf without a board.
(b) Carry his pack.
(c) Carry her pack.
(d) Swim back to Oahu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
2. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
3. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
4. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
5. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
2. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
3. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
4. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
5. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
6. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
7. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
8. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
9. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
10. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)