|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
2. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(b) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
(c) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(d) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
3. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(b) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(c) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(d) He was suicidal.
4. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With fear.
(b) With a sense of anticipation.
(c) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(d) With a sense of adventure.
5. Where does Millman decide to go?
(c) New York.
(d) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
2. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
3. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
4. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
5. What grant is Millman awarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
2. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
3. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
4. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
5. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
6. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
7. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
8. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
9. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
10. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)