|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
(c) A new sense of direction.
(d) A renewed sense of urgency.
2. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The peace and quiet.
(b) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(c) The huge numbers of people.
(d) The modern cities.
3. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(b) A new slick, fiberglass board.
(c) He cannot find a board.
(d) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
4. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(b) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(c) He was suicidal.
(d) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
5. Who heals Mama Chia's psyche after a failed marriage?
(a) She heals herself.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
2. Who is Victor?
3. Where does Millman decide to go?
4. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
5. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
2. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
3. How do you think Dan uses his "inner senses" to guide him to figure out Mama Chia's puzzle?
4. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
5. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
6. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
7. What is foreshadowed in this section?
8. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
9. What does Dan say about himself at the beginning of chapter 13, and what do you think he means?
10. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)