|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
(a) A nice day is having you.
(b) Create a nice day.
(c) Nice is the day to create.
(d) Have a nice day.
2. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(b) Rouses him.
(c) Sends him back to the mainland.
(d) Sends him on a mystical journey.
3. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) University of Georgia.
(c) Oberlin College.
4. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) The idea of death.
(b) The idea of faith.
(c) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(d) The ocean.
5. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(b) Meet Socrates in India.
(c) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(d) Contacted an alien.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
2. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
3. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
4. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
5. What color does Dan's belly glow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
2. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
3. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
4. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
5. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
6. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
7. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
8. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
9. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
10. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)