|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
(c) Being in the present moment.
2. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
3. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
(a) His wife.
(b) His dead son.
(c) Everything he lost in a fire.
(d) His daughter.
4. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The peace and quiet.
(b) The modern cities.
(c) The huge numbers of people.
(d) The alternating cold and warm climate.
5. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools of yoga.
(b) Schools about India's history and culture.
(c) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
2. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
3. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
4. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
5. What is a fakir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
2. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
3. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
4. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
5. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
6. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
7. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
8. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
9. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
10. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)