|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) The holy season.
(b) The hot, dry season.
(c) The monsoon season.
(d) Early summer.
2. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
(a) Leaving his wife.
(b) Leaving his ailing father.
(c) Leaving his students.
(d) Leaving his daughter.
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) With meditation.
(b) By working with his basic self.
(c) With drugs.
(d) By evoking the goddess of healing.
4. What is the law of faith?
(a) Knowing one thing but doing another.
(b) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
(c) The ability to do without doing.
(d) Doing one thing but knowing another.
5. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(d) His encounter with Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
2. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
3. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
4. What does the conscious self become?
5. Who is Victor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
2. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
3. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
4. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
5. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
6. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
7. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
8. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
9. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
10. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)