|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
(a) Create a nice day.
(b) Nice is the day to create.
(c) A nice day is having you.
(d) Have a nice day.
2. For what is Molokai most known?
(a) It is the largest island.
(b) It is a leper colony in the 1800s.
(c) It is the forbidden island.
(d) It is the garden island.
3. For what does Dan listen?
(b) Waves crashing on the shore.
(c) A shark.
(d) A rescue boat or helicopter.
4. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
(c) Finding a direction.
5. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
(a) When she wants to reach a higher plane of ascension.
(b) When she becomes gravely ill.
(c) When she retires.
(d) After receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan.
Short Answer Questions
1. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
2. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
3. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
4. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
5. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
2. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
3. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
4. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
5. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
6. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
7. How does the level at which Dan is in this section manifest in sexual energy?
8. What does Dan think about Kimo after getting to know him a little better and what can a reader learn from that story?
9. Who does Dan meet and what does he advice Dan to do about the bullies?
10. What is the path to the heart? Does this seem difficult?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)