|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(b) The idea of death.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The idea of faith.
2. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) His wife.
(b) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
(c) A native Hawaiian man.
(d) A professor from Stanford.
3. Where does Millman decide to go?
(a) New York.
(c) South America.
4. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
(a) Trust and faith.
(d) A sense of direction.
5. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
(a) Walk barefoot in the surf.
(b) Look for a special shell and listen to what is says.
(c) Find a surfboard and start paddling with the tide.
(d) Build a fire and wait.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
2. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
3. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
4. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
5. For whom does Mitsu yell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
2. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
3. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
4. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
5. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
6. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
7. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
8. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
9. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
10. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)