|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
(a) Everything he lost in a fire.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) His dead son.
2. What grant is Millman awarded?
(a) A trust grant.
(b) A stock option grant.
(c) A travel grant.
(d) A land deed grant.
3. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) His wife and daughter.
(b) His life.
(c) All his money.
4. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Carry his pack.
(b) Surf without a board.
(c) Carry her pack.
(d) Swim back to Oahu.
5. Who does Mama Chia meet when she is 7?
(b) Papa Kahuna.
(c) Papa Kahili.
(d) Her cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
2. What is a fakir?
3. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
4. What does Sachi ask her baby brother?
5. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
4. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
5. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
6. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
7. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
8. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
9. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
10. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)