|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
2. Upon what island does Dan land?
(c) The Big Island.
3. Who heals Mama Chia's psyche after a failed marriage?
(a) She heals herself.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
4. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He is in a daze.
(b) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(c) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(d) He has never done this before.
5. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
2. Who is Victor?
3. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
4. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
5. What is the board like that Dan finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. What does Dan do while in India?
3. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
4. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
5. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
6. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
7. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
8. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
9. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
10. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)