|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(b) He cannot find a board.
(c) A new slick, fiberglass board.
(d) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
2. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) The head honcho.
(b) Magician or expert in any situation.
(c) The one who is to sustain.
(d) The one who is to blame.
3. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(b) Meet Socrates in India.
(c) Contacted an alien.
(d) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
4. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
(a) Writing back to Socrates and waiting for his answer.
(b) A personal ad in the newspaper.
(c) Asking his wife.
(d) Going from bank to bank.
5. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(b) He was suicidal.
(c) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(d) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
2. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
3. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
4. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
5. What grant is Millman awarded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
2. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
3. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
4. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
5. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
6. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
7. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
8. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
9. What does Dan do while in India?
10. What is Dan's ultimate conclusion about his time in India?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)