|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
(b) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(c) The way to enlightenment.
(d) The three selves.
2. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His encounter with Socrates.
(c) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(d) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(b) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(c) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(d) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
4. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Sells cars.
(b) Practices law.
(c) Sells insurance.
(d) Computer programmer.
5. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Contacted an alien.
(b) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(c) Meet Socrates in India.
(d) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
2. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
3. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
4. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
5. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
2. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
3. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
4. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
5. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
6. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
7. What does Dan do while in India?
8. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
9. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
10. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)