|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
(a) She is wise beyond her years.
(b) She is so funny.
(c) He misses his daughter.
(d) She doesn't have any expectations of him.
2. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to the mainland.
(b) Sends him on a mystical journey.
(c) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(d) Rouses him.
3. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(b) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(c) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(d) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
4. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
(a) The Taj Mahal.
(b) The Ganges River.
(c) The Purarimjes.
(d) The Himalayas.
5. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(a) Mitsu Fujimoto.
(c) Ruth's daughter.
(d) Ruth's granddaughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
2. What color does Dan's belly glow?
3. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
4. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
5. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. How does Mama Chia explain the Tower of Seven Floors?
3. What task does Mama Chia give Dan and how does he handle it?
4. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
5. Explain Mama Chia's thoughts about who she, Dan and Socrates are.
6. How is Kimo so much like many people?
7. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
8. Describe Dan's experience of "rebirth."
9. From whom does Dan ask permission to be there and what do you think this is symbolic of?
10. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)