|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who fakes magic.
(b) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(c) A governmental authority in India.
(d) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
2. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
(a) They are imaginary but useful.
(b) They only help the physical body.
(c) They are not imaginary.
(d) They only help the spirit.
3. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
4. Who is Ruth Johnson?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) The young bank teller with whom Millman has dinner.
(d) An older woman in a muumuu.
5. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) With meditation.
(b) By evoking the goddess of healing.
(c) With drugs.
(d) By working with his basic self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
2. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
3. What is the law of faith?
4. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
5. What is the board like that Dan finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
4. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
5. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
6. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
7. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
8. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
9. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
10. What does Dan do while in India?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)