|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
(a) That flesh is impure.
(b) That spirit is ascendent over flesh.
(c) That life is more important than the between life.
(d) That flesh and spirit are not separate.
2. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) The three selves.
(b) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
(c) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(d) The way to enlightenment.
3. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) His body is using energy to recover.
(b) He needs to escape.
(c) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(d) He does not need any more rest.
4. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(b) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(c) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(d) He was suicidal.
5. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(a) Joy and optimism.
(c) Others searching for something, too.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
2. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
3. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
4. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
5. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
2. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
3. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
4. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
5. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
6. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
7. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
8. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
9. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
10. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)