|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
(a) Build a fire and wait.
(b) Find a surfboard and start paddling with the tide.
(c) Look for a special shell and listen to what is says.
(d) Walk barefoot in the surf.
2. Who is Victor?
(a) Socrates' nephew.
(b) Ruth's brother.
(c) Ruth's grandson.
(d) Ruth's godson.
3. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(a) Goes into a trance.
4. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
(a) A floating bottle of water.
(b) A shore.
(c) A fishing pole entangled in kelp.
(d) A dead albatross.
5. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) His sunburned body.
(b) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
(c) The realization of his impending death.
(d) The realization of his stupidity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
2. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
3. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
4. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
5. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
2. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
3. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
4. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
5. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
6. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
7. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
8. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
9. How does Ruth respond to Dan's appearance at the party and what do you think this foreshadows?
10. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)