|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
(a) The Himalayas.
(b) The Ganges River.
(c) The Purarimjes.
(d) The Taj Mahal.
2. Upon what island does Dan land?
(d) The Big Island.
3. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
(c) Schools of yoga.
(d) Schools about India's history and culture.
4. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) With the most money.
(b) It is generally not effective.
(c) With the right leverage.
(d) In places where people help themselves.
5. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(b) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(c) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(d) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
2. What does the author do on his wedding night?
3. What color does Dan's belly glow?
4. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
5. What does the basic self become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
4. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
5. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
6. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
7. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
8. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
9. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
10. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)