|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
(b) Contact with the local culture.
(c) Some healing.
(d) A way to reconnect with his inner being.
2. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) The idea of faith.
(b) The idea of death.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
3. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(b) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(c) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(d) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
4. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
(a) A fishing pole entangled in kelp.
(b) A shore.
(c) A dead albatross.
(d) A floating bottle of water.
5. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(a) Others searching for something, too.
(d) Joy and optimism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
2. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
3. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
4. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
5. Upon what island does Dan land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
2. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
3. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
4. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
5. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
6. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
7. What does Dan do while in India?
8. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
9. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
10. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)