|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Dan's belly glow?
2. Who is Ruth Johnson?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The young bank teller with whom Millman has dinner.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) An older woman in a muumuu.
3. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(b) A new slick, fiberglass board.
(c) He cannot find a board.
(d) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
4. What is the law of faith?
(a) The ability to do without doing.
(b) Doing one thing but knowing another.
(c) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
(d) Knowing one thing but doing another.
5. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(c) His encounter with Socrates.
(d) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
2. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
3. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
4. What does the basic self become?
5. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dan's experience in his dreamlike state in chapter 7 and his reaction to the dream.
2. What does Dan do while in India?
3. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
4. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
5. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
6. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
7. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
8. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
9. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
10. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)