|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
(b) Being in the present moment.
2. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A renewed sense of urgency.
(c) A new sense of direction.
(d) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
3. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He wonders about his daughter.
(c) He realizes he has been duped.
(d) He falls off.
4. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) He needs to escape.
(b) He does not need any more rest.
(c) His body is using energy to recover.
(d) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
5. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) The ocean.
(b) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(c) The idea of faith.
(d) The idea of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Molokai most known?
2. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
3. Who is Ruth Johnson?
4. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
5. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
4. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
5. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
6. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
7. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
8. How does Dan feel about his personal connection to India?
9. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
10. What does Dan do while in India?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)