|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
(c) Three glowing lights.
2. What is the law of faith?
(a) Doing one thing but knowing another.
(b) The ability to do without doing.
(c) Knowing one thing but doing another.
(d) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
3. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(b) A governmental authority in India.
(c) Someone who fakes magic.
(d) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
4. For what does Dan listen?
(a) A rescue boat or helicopter.
(b) A shark.
(c) Waves crashing on the shore.
5. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(b) He has never done this before.
(c) He is in a daze.
(d) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
2. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
3. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
4. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
5. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
2. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
3. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
4. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
5. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
6. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
7. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
8. What is the phrase that Ruth uses that catches Dan's attention and how would you characterize their encounter?
9. What is the irony of Dan's situation out on the vast Pacific Ocean?
10. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)