|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
(b) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(c) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(d) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
2. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
(a) That he isn't really feeling that.
(b) That it's his mirror self feeling that.
(c) That he is on the right track.
(d) That he has to let go.
3. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
(a) A wake.
(b) A seance.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A party.
4. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
5. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
(a) She is so funny.
(b) She is wise beyond her years.
(c) He misses his daughter.
(d) She doesn't have any expectations of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
2. What does the conscious self become?
3. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
4. Why does Dan have to rest?
5. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
2. What is the island of Molokai and why is it appropriate that Dan wash up on its shore?
3. What do you think Mama Chia means when she says one must clean the lower floors before ascending to higher floors?
4. What does Dan say about death and how do you think he will overcome his feelings about it?
5. Why do you think Dan dreads what lies ahead?
6. What does Mama Chia tell Dan after waking him from sleeping for 36 hours, and what do you think she means?
7. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
8. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
9. Dan tries to stay awake and conscious because he's afraid of what might happen if he falls asleep. Do you think this is symbolic of anything?
10. What is foreshadowed in this section?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)