|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author do on his wedding night?
(b) Go Fishing.
2. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
(a) Build a fire and wait.
(b) Walk barefoot in the surf.
(c) Find a surfboard and start paddling with the tide.
(d) Look for a special shell and listen to what is says.
3. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Carry her pack.
(b) Carry his pack.
(c) Surf without a board.
(d) Swim back to Oahu.
4. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The soul getting a running start.
(b) The hope of moving forward.
(c) A waste of energy.
(d) A means of staying quiet to heal.
5. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) He does not need any more rest.
(b) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(c) He needs to escape.
(d) His body is using energy to recover.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
2. What color does Dan's belly glow?
3. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
4. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
5. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dan imagines all sorts of monsters floating beneath his surfboard; what might this metaphorically represent?
2. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
3. Dan falls asleep, which could be what is called in literary terms, a "narrative contrivance." What do you think that means in context of this story and Dan falling asleep?
4. Why is Dan depressed on his honeymoon?
5. Dan says he would trade enlightenment for one glass of "pure, cool, quenching water." What do you think this says about the human condition?
6. What does Dan realize he must do at this time in his life?
7. Chapter four opens with what quote and what do you think it means?
8. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
9. Why do you think Sachi asks her little brother to tell her about God?
10. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)