|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ruth Johnson?
(a) An older woman in a muumuu.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) The young bank teller with whom Millman has dinner.
2. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Contacted an alien.
(b) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(c) Meet Socrates in India.
(d) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
3. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She is lame.
(b) She flunks out.
(c) She dies.
(d) She is not found in the woods.
4. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) All his money.
(b) His wife and daughter.
(c) His life.
5. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of anticipation.
(b) With fear.
(c) With a sense of adventure.
(d) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
2. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
3. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
4. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
5. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dan decide to stop over in Hawaii and what do you think is the reason for his layover?
2. How has Mama Chia been healing Dan and what do you think of her method?
3. Dan remembers that Ruth wrote that the experience he is on is a question of "trust and faith." Do you believe this is true?
4. What do you think about what Mama Chia says about suffering?
5. Why do you think Mama Chia resumes her work as midwife and kahuna after receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan?
6. Did you think it is smart of Dan to just mount a surfboard and go out from shore having no experience with this kind of activity?
7. How does Dan decide to commence his search for the woman of whom Socrates had once told Dan, and do you think that is a logical solution?
8. What does the college give Dan and where does he go?
9. How does Mama Chia interpret Dan's bad dream?
10. For what is Dan searching in India and why does he choose India?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)