|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "arena of battle" and "finishing school" for the Basic Self?
(a) The first floor.
(b) The third floor.
(c) The fourth floor.
(d) Each floor.
2. What does Dan feel?
(a) The nature spirits everywhere.
3. What childhood horror does Dan relive?
(a) Of his dog dying slowly.
(b) Of being locked in a storage trunk by bullies.
(c) Of being lost at a store and not being able to find his mama.
(d) Of his father accidentally being killed in front of him.
4. With what does Dan struggle as they are walking along the cliff?
(d) Lack of faith.
5. To where does Mama Chia lead Dan?
(a) To a ridge.
(b) To a cave.
(c) To the ocean.
(d) To a real tower.
6. What self is represented by the heart?
(a) The Emotional Self.
(b) The Feeling Self.
(c) The Caring Self.
(d) The Higher Self.
7. What are an Indian leper, a French drunk, a suburban teen sniffing drugs, and a dying African baby?
(a) Four people who confront Dan about his life.
(b) Four scenes through which Dan moves in the white tower.
(c) Mama Chia's images of Dan.
(d) Dan's four alter egos.
8. What does Mama Chia say Dan has become?
(a) A fakir.
(b) A human being.
(c) A robot.
(d) A jewel.
9. What does Dan think is one reason Socrates sends him to Mama Chia?
(a) To help her.
(b) To see if she is still alive.
(c) To guide her.
(d) He is not sure.
10. Who is Dan's guardian angel?
(b) His deceased grandmother.
(d) His higher self.
11. What does the second window show?
12. Of what does the storekeeper warn Dan?
(a) That Dan should leave the island.
(b) That he has made some powerful enemies.
(c) That they live near there.
13. According to Mama Chia, what does shape shifting involve?
(a) Transferring consciousness and forming deep empathy and awareness.
(b) Shape Shifting is merely metaphoric.
(c) Getting a good costume.
(d) Believing at the heart level that you are what you want to become.
14. What does the third window show?
(a) Order and disorder.
(b) Creativity and stasis.
(c) Balance and justice.
(d) Order, balance, and creativity.
15. How does Dan embrace life after facing death?
(a) Through writing a poem.
(b) Through sexual energy.
(c) By singing a paen to the gods of the island.
(d) Through plunging off the cliff into the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tiger do?
2. What does Mama Chia declare about her, Dan and Socrates?
3. How has Mama Chia made peace with being comfortable?
4. What do four Hawaiian punks do?
5. What do Mama Chia and Dan do with the thousands of starfish washed up on the beach?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)