|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dan stops being an observer to become part of the community, what happens?
(a) He realizes how shallow he is.
(b) He understands Mama Chia's purpose.
(c) He stops worrying about catching leprosy.
(d) He is ready to leave.
2. Who does Mama Chia invoke?
(b) The god Peli.
(c) The Great Spirit.
(d) The guardians of the ways.
3. Where does Mama Chia say Dan will help for a few days?
(a) At her farm.
(b) With the storekeeper.
(c) The caves of Molokai.
4. If Dan fails in the task Mama Chia gives him, what will happen?
(a) He will try again.
(b) He will succeed just from trying.
(c) He will know he is not yet ready for that floor.
(d) He will feel pain and part of him will die.
5. What does Dan think is one reason Socrates sends him to Mama Chia?
(a) He is not sure.
(b) To guide her.
(c) To help her.
(d) To see if she is still alive.
6. Why should Dan meditate by the waterfall?
(a) If he needs to prove something to himself.
(b) No particular reason.
(c) So the sound blocks out his thoughts.
(d) To really hear the waterfall.
7. As Mama Chia hurries among gravestones and speaks with new urgency, what does Dan feel?
8. What happens when Mama Chia throws the bird in the air.
(a) Nothing; it is unharmed.
(b) It falls to the ground dead.
(c) It flies out to sea.
(d) It flutters its wings and then lands on her shoulder.
9. What does Mama Chia have Dan dig?
(a) A well.
(b) A trench.
(d) A grave.
10. What does Mama Chia tell Tia?
(a) That Mama Chia has found a home for the baby that she must give up after birth.
(b) That she is almost well.
(c) That the baby will be free of leprosy.
(d) That she may die soon.
11. What is an "arena of battle" and "finishing school" for the Basic Self?
(a) The fourth floor.
(b) Each floor.
(c) The first floor.
(d) The third floor.
12. The third level is about what?
(a) The need for power.
(b) Power to create.
(c) Power over impulses and desires of the ego.
(d) Power to give life as well as to take it.
13. What does Mama Chia tell Dan?
(a) Death comes to all.
(b) Leprosy is not contagious.
(c) Leprosy is not the issue.
(d) Not to show fear or revulsion.
14. What childhood horror does Dan relive?
(a) Of his father accidentally being killed in front of him.
(b) Of his dog dying slowly.
(c) Of being lost at a store and not being able to find his mama.
(d) Of being locked in a storage trunk by bullies.
15. What does each floor represent?
(a) A path to god.
(c) An expanded state of awareness.
(d) A way to meditate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dan feel about being naked when Mama Chia appears?
2. What does Dan's disembodied self do?
3. When Dan awakes on the other side, what happens?
4. What sometimes happens when angelic souls overshadow primitive animals to experience life through them?
5. What task does Mama Chia give Dan?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)