|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task does Mama Chia give Dan?
(a) To re-dig his grave but make it an altar instead.
(b) To leap 30 feet across a dizzying chasm to a ledge and doorway on the other side.
(c) To live yesterday for tomorrow.
(d) To strive for understanding.
2. What does Dan's disembodied self do?
(a) Stands and looks at his body.
(c) Flies into the heavens.
(d) Levitates onto the shroud-like sheet.
3. What is the shadow side of the second floor as fear is of the first?
4. To whom does Mama Chia wish Dan to be grateful?
(b) The goddess.
(c) No one.
5. If Dan fails in the task Mama Chia gives him, what will happen?
(a) He will feel pain and part of him will die.
(b) He will succeed just from trying.
(c) He will try again.
(d) He will know he is not yet ready for that floor.
6. What do four Hawaiian punks do?
(a) Bother Sachi.
(b) Are disrespectful to Mama Chia.
(c) Give Dan drugs.
(d) Beat up Dan.
7. What does each floor represent?
(a) An expanded state of awareness.
(b) A way to meditate.
(d) A path to god.
8. What does the third window show?
(a) Creativity and stasis.
(b) Order and disorder.
(c) Balance and justice.
(d) Order, balance, and creativity.
9. How does Dan embrace life after facing death?
(a) Through plunging off the cliff into the ocean.
(b) Through sexual energy.
(c) Through writing a poem.
(d) By singing a paen to the gods of the island.
10. What is an "arena of battle" and "finishing school" for the Basic Self?
(a) Each floor.
(b) The first floor.
(c) The third floor.
(d) The fourth floor.
11. Where does Dan awaken?
(a) In Ohio.
(b) In his bed at Mama Chia's house.
(c) At the burial site.
(d) On a surfboard.
12. What does Dan think is one reason Socrates sends him to Mama Chia?
(a) To see if she is still alive.
(b) He is not sure.
(c) To guide her.
(d) To help her.
13. How does Dan feel about being naked when Mama Chia appears?
(a) Not ashamed.
14. The third level is about what?
(a) Power to create.
(b) The need for power.
(c) Power to give life as well as to take it.
(d) Power over impulses and desires of the ego.
15. Out of what can one do for others on a level where altruism and love do not yet exist?
(a) Out of duty and responsibility.
(b) Out of a desire to look good to others.
(c) Out of guilt.
(d) Out of a desire to go to heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan realize about the lower floors?
2. What does Mama Chia tell Tia?
3. What does Mama Chia tell Dan?
4. Who is Dan's guardian angel?
5. What does the first window show?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)