|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Rouses him.
(b) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(c) Sends him on a mystical journey.
(d) Sends him back to the mainland.
2. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
3. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Abe Lincoln.
4. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
5. What grant is Millman awarded?
(a) A trust grant.
(b) A stock option grant.
(c) A land deed grant.
(d) A travel grant.
6. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
(a) A tanning booth.
(b) A sauna.
(c) A barefoot walk in the surf.
(d) A barefoot walk on coals.
7. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
(a) A shore.
(b) A fishing pole entangled in kelp.
(c) A floating bottle of water.
(d) A dead albatross.
8. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) The monsoon season.
(b) The holy season.
(c) The hot, dry season.
(d) Early summer.
9. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Practices law.
(b) Computer programmer.
(c) Sells cars.
(d) Sells insurance.
10. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
(a) Have a nice day.
(b) Create a nice day.
(c) Nice is the day to create.
(d) A nice day is having you.
11. What does the conscious self become?
(a) A wheel.
(b) A robot.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) An arch.
12. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(b) Joy and optimism.
(c) Others searching for something, too.
13. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(b) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(c) He has never done this before.
(d) He is in a daze.
14. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) As a way to solve other problems.
(b) To get one's attention.
(c) To learn how to let go.
(d) To learn faith.
15. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
(b) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(c) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(d) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
4. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
5. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)