|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
(b) A new sense of direction.
(d) A renewed sense of urgency.
2. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) His wife and daughter.
(b) His life.
(c) All his money.
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(b) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(c) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(d) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
4. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(b) A governmental authority in India.
(c) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(d) Someone who fakes magic.
5. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His encounter with Socrates.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(d) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
6. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(b) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(c) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(d) He was suicidal.
7. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) The realization of his stupidity.
(b) His sunburned body.
(c) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
(d) The realization of his impending death.
8. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
9. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(b) Meet Socrates in India.
(c) Contacted an alien.
(d) Help bring Sachi into the world.
10. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He is in a daze.
(b) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(c) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(d) He has never done this before.
11. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) By working with his basic self.
(b) By evoking the goddess of healing.
(c) With drugs.
(d) With meditation.
12. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The sun.
(b) Three glowing lights.
(c) The moon.
13. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
14. Who is Victor?
(a) Ruth's grandson.
(b) Ruth's brother.
(c) Socrates' nephew.
(d) Ruth's godson.
15. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
(a) That flesh is impure.
(b) That life is more important than the between life.
(c) That spirit is ascendent over flesh.
(d) That flesh and spirit are not separate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Dan's belly glow?
2. What does she do after drawing the figure?
3. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
4. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
5. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)