|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
(a) A pentagram.
(b) Leonardo da Vinci's figure of a man in a circle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A square.
2. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
3. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) With the most money.
(b) It is generally not effective.
(c) In places where people help themselves.
(d) With the right leverage.
4. Once Mama Chia has taken Dan to the edge and points the way, what does he have to do?
(a) The same thing as on the surfboard.
(c) Open his eyes and leap.
(d) Close his eyes and leap.
5. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He is in a daze.
(b) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(c) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(d) He has never done this before.
6. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) As a way to solve other problems.
(b) To learn how to let go.
(c) To learn faith.
(d) To get one's attention.
7. For what does Dan listen?
(a) Waves crashing on the shore.
(b) A rescue boat or helicopter.
(d) A shark.
8. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
(a) His daughter.
(b) Everything he lost in a fire.
(c) His wife.
(d) His dead son.
9. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(b) He was suicidal.
(c) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(d) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
10. For whom does Mitsu yell?
(a) Mrs. Fujimoto.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Mama Johnson.
(d) Mama Chia.
11. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(b) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(c) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(d) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
12. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(b) A governmental authority in India.
(c) Someone who fakes magic.
(d) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
13. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The modern cities.
(b) The peace and quiet.
(c) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(d) The huge numbers of people.
14. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
(c) Finding a direction.
15. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Meet Socrates in India.
(b) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(c) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(d) Contacted an alien.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what island does Dan land?
2. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
3. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
4. What is the board like that Dan finds?
5. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)