Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He was suicidal.
(b) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(c) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(d) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
(a) Oberlin College.
(c) University of Ohio.
(d) University of Georgia.
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) With drugs.
(b) By evoking the goddess of healing.
(c) By working with his basic self.
(d) With meditation.
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) The unconscious.
(b) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(c) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(d) Death and rebirth.
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The soul getting a running start.
(b) A waste of energy.
(c) The hope of moving forward.
(d) A means of staying quiet to heal.
6. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(b) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(c) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(d) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
7. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
(a) His inner records.
(b) Another man on a similar journey.
(c) Dan's daughter.
8. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Stupidity Diet.
(b) The Mama Chia Diet.
(c) The Surfboard Diet.
(d) The non-eating diet.
9. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) The realization of his stupidity.
(b) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
(c) The realization of his impending death.
(d) His sunburned body.
10. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) To get one's attention.
(b) As a way to solve other problems.
(c) To learn faith.
(d) To learn how to let go.
11. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
(c) A renewed sense of urgency.
(d) A new sense of direction.
12. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
(b) Trust and faith.
(c) A sense of direction.
13. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
(b) Being in the present moment.
14. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 44.
(b) When she is 7.
(c) When she is 19.
(d) When she is 11.
15. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(b) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(c) He cannot find a board.
(d) A new slick, fiberglass board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Dan's belly glow?
2. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
3. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
4. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
5. Who heals Mama Chia's psyche after a failed marriage?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)