|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(b) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(c) Contacted an alien.
(d) Meet Socrates in India.
2. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Come back in three days.
(b) Go home to his wife and daughter.
(c) Go ride a surfboard.
(d) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
3. What grant is Millman awarded?
(a) A travel grant.
(b) A land deed grant.
(c) A trust grant.
(d) A stock option grant.
4. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
5. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) By evoking the goddess of healing.
(b) With drugs.
(c) With meditation.
(d) By working with his basic self.
6. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) With the right leverage.
(b) It is generally not effective.
(c) With the most money.
(d) In places where people help themselves.
7. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
8. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
(a) A pentagram.
(b) A horse.
(c) Leonardo da Vinci's figure of a man in a circle.
(d) A square.
9. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She flunks out.
(b) She is lame.
(c) She is not found in the woods.
(d) She dies.
10. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) The unconscious.
(b) Death and rebirth.
(c) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(d) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
11. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) He does not need any more rest.
(b) His body is using energy to recover.
(c) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(d) He needs to escape.
12. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) To learn how to let go.
(b) To learn faith.
(c) As a way to solve other problems.
(d) To get one's attention.
13. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Sells insurance.
(b) Sells cars.
(c) Computer programmer.
(d) Practices law.
14. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(b) He was suicidal.
(c) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(d) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
15. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(b) Ruth's daughter.
(c) Mitsu Fujimoto.
(d) Ruth's granddaughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the law of faith?
2. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
3. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
4. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
5. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)