|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(b) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(c) He was suicidal.
(d) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
2. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He realizes he has been duped.
(b) He wonders about his daughter.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He falls off.
3. Once Mama Chia has taken Dan to the edge and points the way, what does he have to do?
(a) Open his eyes and leap.
(b) The same thing as on the surfboard.
(d) Close his eyes and leap.
4. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(b) The modern cities.
(c) The peace and quiet.
(d) The huge numbers of people.
5. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The soul getting a running start.
(b) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(c) The hope of moving forward.
(d) A waste of energy.
6. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) The realization of his stupidity.
(b) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
(c) His sunburned body.
(d) The realization of his impending death.
7. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Death and rebirth.
(b) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(c) The unconscious.
(d) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
8. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
(a) His wife falls asleep first.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He and his wife are camping.
(d) He and his wife love to skydive.
9. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) All his money.
(b) His wife and daughter.
(c) His life.
10. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(c) Goes into a trance.
11. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Abe Lincoln.
12. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
(a) Look for a special shell and listen to what is says.
(b) Walk barefoot in the surf.
(c) Build a fire and wait.
(d) Find a surfboard and start paddling with the tide.
13. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(b) His father's death.
(c) His encounter with Socrates.
(d) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
14. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The moon.
(b) Three glowing lights.
(c) The sun.
15. Who takes care of Dan when he is recovering from his days at sea?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Victor?
2. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
3. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
4. What is the law of faith?
5. Why does Dan have to rest?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)