|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Death and rebirth.
(b) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(c) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(d) The unconscious.
2. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) His life.
(c) All his money.
(d) His wife and daughter.
3. What is a fakir?
(a) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(b) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(c) Someone who fakes magic.
(d) A governmental authority in India.
4. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) The realization of his impending death.
(b) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
(c) The realization of his stupidity.
(d) His sunburned body.
5. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
(a) His wife falls asleep first.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He and his wife love to skydive.
(d) He and his wife are camping.
6. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
(b) The three selves.
(c) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(d) The way to enlightenment.
7. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(b) With a sense of adventure.
(c) With a sense of anticipation.
(d) With fear.
8. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
(b) Go ride a surfboard.
(c) Come back in three days.
(d) Go home to his wife and daughter.
9. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(b) He has never done this before.
(c) He is in a daze.
(d) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
10. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
(a) They are not imaginary.
(b) They are imaginary but useful.
(c) They only help the spirit.
(d) They only help the physical body.
11. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) Magician or expert in any situation.
(b) The one who is to blame.
(c) The one who is to sustain.
(d) The head honcho.
12. What does the author do on his wedding night?
(c) Go Fishing.
13. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
(a) Going from bank to bank.
(b) A personal ad in the newspaper.
(c) Asking his wife.
(d) Writing back to Socrates and waiting for his answer.
14. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The hope of moving forward.
(b) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(c) The soul getting a running start.
(d) A waste of energy.
15. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
(a) The Taj Mahal.
(b) The Purarimjes.
(c) The Himalayas.
(d) The Ganges River.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
2. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
3. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
4. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
5. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)