|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
(b) Schools about India's history and culture.
(c) Schools of yoga.
2. What does the author do on his wedding night?
(b) Go Fishing.
3. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) With the most money.
(b) It is generally not effective.
(c) With the right leverage.
(d) In places where people help themselves.
4. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Death and rebirth.
(b) The unconscious.
(c) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(d) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
5. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(b) He is in a daze.
(c) He has never done this before.
(d) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
6. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(b) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
(c) "'End before you start.'"
(d) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
7. What is the law of faith?
(a) The ability to do without doing.
(b) Knowing one thing but doing another.
(c) Doing one thing but knowing another.
(d) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
8. What is one thing Ruth and Dan have in common?
9. For what does Dan listen?
(a) A shark.
(b) A rescue boat or helicopter.
(d) Waves crashing on the shore.
10. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(b) A waste of energy.
(c) The hope of moving forward.
(d) The soul getting a running start.
11. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) He cannot find a board.
(b) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(c) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(d) A new slick, fiberglass board.
12. What does the conscious self become?
(a) A wheel.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) An arch.
(d) A robot.
13. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
(a) His inner records.
(c) Another man on a similar journey.
(d) Dan's daughter.
14. Once Mama Chia has taken Dan to the edge and points the way, what does he have to do?
(a) Close his eyes and leap.
(b) The same thing as on the surfboard.
(c) Open his eyes and leap.
15. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) Magician or expert in any situation.
(b) The head honcho.
(c) The one who is to blame.
(d) The one who is to sustain.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
2. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
3. Upon what island does Dan land?
4. What color does Dan's belly glow?
5. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)