|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what has Mama Chia put Dan in touch?
(b) Dan's daughter.
(c) Another man on a similar journey.
(d) His inner records.
2. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Computer programmer.
(b) Practices law.
(c) Sells insurance.
(d) Sells cars.
3. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He wonders about his daughter.
(b) He realizes he has been duped.
(c) He falls off.
(d) He falls asleep.
4. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of anticipation.
(b) With a sense of adventure.
(c) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(d) With fear.
5. What color does Dan's belly glow?
6. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
7. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(a) Ruth's granddaughter.
(c) Mitsu Fujimoto.
(d) Ruth's daughter.
8. How has Mama Chia been speeding Dan's healing?
(a) By working with his basic self.
(b) With drugs.
(c) With meditation.
(d) By evoking the goddess of healing.
9. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Mama Chia Diet.
(b) The non-eating diet.
(c) The Stupidity Diet.
(d) The Surfboard Diet.
10. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(b) He has never done this before.
(c) He is in a daze.
(d) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
11. What is so painful during Dan's time on the surfboard?
(a) His sunburned body.
(b) The realization of his impending death.
(c) The realization of his stupidity.
(d) Knowing his daughter would grow up without him.
12. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) The one who is to sustain.
(b) Magician or expert in any situation.
(c) The head honcho.
(d) The one who is to blame.
13. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
(a) Some healing.
(b) Contact with the local culture.
(c) A way to reconnect with his inner being.
14. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(b) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(c) A governmental authority in India.
(d) Someone who fakes magic.
15. Upon what island does Dan land?
(b) The Big Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
2. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
3. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
4. For what is Molokai most known?
5. Who does Mama Chia meet when she is 7?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)