|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(b) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(c) He cannot find a board.
(d) A new slick, fiberglass board.
2. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
(b) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(c) Someone who fakes magic.
(d) A governmental authority in India.
3. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(b) The hope of moving forward.
(c) A waste of energy.
(d) The soul getting a running start.
4. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
(b) Being in the present moment.
5. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) To get one's attention.
(b) As a way to solve other problems.
(c) To learn faith.
(d) To learn how to let go.
6. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Go home to his wife and daughter.
(b) Come back in three days.
(c) Go ride a surfboard.
(d) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
7. Who is Victor?
(a) Ruth's grandson.
(b) Socrates' nephew.
(c) Ruth's brother.
(d) Ruth's godson.
8. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
9. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
(a) That he has to let go.
(b) That it's his mirror self feeling that.
(c) That he isn't really feeling that.
(d) That he is on the right track.
10. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(c) Joy and optimism.
(d) Others searching for something, too.
11. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(b) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(c) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(d) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
12. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Meet Socrates in India.
(b) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(c) Contacted an alien.
(d) Help bring Sachi into the world.
13. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
(a) Nice is the day to create.
(b) A nice day is having you.
(c) Have a nice day.
(d) Create a nice day.
14. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Carry her pack.
(b) Surf without a board.
(c) Carry his pack.
(d) Swim back to Oahu.
15. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
2. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
3. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
4. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
5. What does she do after drawing the figure?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)