|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The huge numbers of people.
(b) The peace and quiet.
(c) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(d) The modern cities.
2. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who fakes magic.
(b) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(c) A governmental authority in India.
(d) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
3. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Contacted an alien.
(b) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(c) Meet Socrates in India.
(d) Help bring Sachi into the world.
4. What grant is Millman awarded?
(a) A travel grant.
(b) A stock option grant.
(c) A land deed grant.
(d) A trust grant.
5. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(b) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(c) The unconscious.
(d) Death and rebirth.
6. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
(a) A barefoot walk in the surf.
(b) A barefoot walk on coals.
(c) A sauna.
(d) A tanning booth.
7. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
(a) They only help the spirit.
(b) They only help the physical body.
(c) They are imaginary but useful.
(d) They are not imaginary.
8. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The soul getting a running start.
(b) A waste of energy.
(c) The hope of moving forward.
(d) A means of staying quiet to heal.
9. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to the mainland.
(b) Rouses him.
(c) Sends him on a mystical journey.
(d) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
10. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) The one who is to blame.
(b) The head honcho.
(c) The one who is to sustain.
(d) Magician or expert in any situation.
11. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
12. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
13. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(b) Joy and optimism.
(d) Others searching for something, too.
14. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He falls off.
(b) He realizes he has been duped.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He wonders about his daughter.
15. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools of yoga.
(b) Schools about India's history and culture.
(d) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
2. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
3. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
4. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
5. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)