|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
(a) When she becomes gravely ill.
(b) After receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan.
(c) When she wants to reach a higher plane of ascension.
(d) When she retires.
2. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Sells cars.
(b) Practices law.
(c) Computer programmer.
(d) Sells insurance.
3. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(b) He is in a daze.
(c) He has never done this before.
(d) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
4. What does Sachi ask her baby brother?
(a) To tell her what God feels like.
(b) To help her learn about nature.
(c) To help her convince her parents to let her travel alone.
(d) To go with her to a new island.
5. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
(a) A horse.
(b) A square.
(c) A pentagram.
(d) Leonardo da Vinci's figure of a man in a circle.
6. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
(a) His dead son.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) Everything he lost in a fire.
7. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(b) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(c) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(d) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
8. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) The hot, dry season.
(b) Early summer.
(c) The monsoon season.
(d) The holy season.
9. Why does the author do what he does on his wedding night?
(a) He and his wife are camping.
(b) His wife falls asleep first.
(c) He and his wife love to skydive.
(d) He is depressed.
10. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Surf without a board.
(b) Swim back to Oahu.
(c) Carry his pack.
(d) Carry her pack.
11. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(b) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(c) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(d) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
12. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of adventure.
(b) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(c) With fear.
(d) With a sense of anticipation.
13. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
14. For what does Dan listen?
(a) A rescue boat or helicopter.
(b) A shark.
(c) Waves crashing on the shore.
15. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She dies.
(b) She is not found in the woods.
(c) She is lame.
(d) She flunks out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
2. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
3. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
4. What does the author do on his wedding night?
5. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)