|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Go home to his wife and daughter.
(b) Go ride a surfboard.
(c) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
(d) Come back in three days.
2. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Carry his pack.
(b) Surf without a board.
(c) Carry her pack.
(d) Swim back to Oahu.
3. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
(a) Leaving his students.
(b) Leaving his daughter.
(c) Leaving his ailing father.
(d) Leaving his wife.
4. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) All his money.
(b) His life.
(c) His wife and daughter.
5. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) The way to enlightenment.
(b) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(c) The three selves.
(d) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
6. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
(c) Trust and faith.
(d) A sense of direction.
7. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
(b) "'End before you start.'"
(c) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(d) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
8. What does the basic self become?
(a) A child.
(b) A circle.
(c) A star.
(d) A unicorn.
9. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to the mainland.
(b) Sends him on a mystical journey.
(c) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(d) Rouses him.
10. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(a) Goes into a trance.
11. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
(a) A barefoot walk in the surf.
(b) A sauna.
(c) A barefoot walk on coals.
(d) A tanning booth.
12. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
(b) His wife.
(c) A professor from Stanford.
(d) A native Hawaiian man.
13. Where does Millman decide to go?
(a) New York.
(d) South America.
14. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Death and rebirth.
(b) The unconscious.
(c) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(d) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
15. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(b) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(c) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
(d) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
2. Who does Mama Chia meet when she is 7?
3. For whom does Mitsu yell?
4. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
5. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)