|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Ruth suggest Dan needs in this situation?
(b) A sense of direction.
(c) Trust and faith.
2. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
(a) Carry her pack.
(b) Swim back to Oahu.
(c) Carry his pack.
(d) Surf without a board.
3. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools about India's history and culture.
(c) Schools of yoga.
(d) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
4. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) University of Georgia.
(c) Oberlin College.
5. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
(a) He cannot make any lasting connections.
(b) He thinks everyone he meets is a hypocrite.
(c) He finds nothing that isn't available in the West in bookstores.
(d) He is overwhelmed by the different paths one can take to enlightment.
6. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
(a) A party.
(b) A wake.
(c) A seance.
(d) A funeral.
7. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(b) A new slick, fiberglass board.
(c) He cannot find a board.
(d) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
8. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 7.
(b) When she is 11.
(c) When she is 19.
(d) When she is 44.
9. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
(d) Three glowing lights.
10. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
(b) His encounter with Socrates.
(c) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
(d) His father's death.
11. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) The idea of death.
(b) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The idea of faith.
12. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
(a) A floating bottle of water.
(b) A fishing pole entangled in kelp.
(c) A shore.
(d) A dead albatross.
13. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) To get one's attention.
(b) To learn how to let go.
(c) As a way to solve other problems.
(d) To learn faith.
14. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With fear.
(b) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(c) With a sense of adventure.
(d) With a sense of anticipation.
15. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
(a) She is so funny.
(b) She doesn't have any expectations of him.
(c) She is wise beyond her years.
(d) He misses his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
2. What does the basic self become?
3. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
4. Why does Dan have to rest?
5. What grant is Millman awarded?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)