|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sachi ask her baby brother?
(a) To help her convince her parents to let her travel alone.
(b) To tell her what God feels like.
(c) To go with her to a new island.
(d) To help her learn about nature.
2. What does the author do on his wedding night?
(a) Go Fishing.
3. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) His wife.
(b) A professor from Stanford.
(c) A native Hawaiian man.
(d) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
4. What is a fakir?
(a) Someone who fakes magic.
(b) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(c) A governmental authority in India.
(d) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
5. Where does Millman decide to go?
(a) New York.
(c) South America.
6. Upon what island does Dan land?
(c) The Big Island.
7. For whom does Mitsu yell?
(a) Mama Chia.
(b) Mrs. Fujimoto.
(c) Mama Johnson.
(d) Her husband.
8. What does the basic self become?
(a) A unicorn.
(b) A child.
(c) A circle.
(d) A star.
9. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
(a) A barefoot walk in the surf.
(b) A sauna.
(c) A barefoot walk on coals.
(d) A tanning booth.
10. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(b) The idea of death.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The idea of faith.
11. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Sells insurance.
(b) Sells cars.
(c) Computer programmer.
(d) Practices law.
12. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of adventure.
(b) With a sense of anticipation.
(c) With fear.
(d) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
13. Who is Ruth Johnson?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) An older woman in a muumuu.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) The young bank teller with whom Millman has dinner.
14. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Surfboard Diet.
(b) The non-eating diet.
(c) The Mama Chia Diet.
(d) The Stupidity Diet.
15. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 19.
(b) When she is 44.
(c) When she is 7.
(d) When she is 11.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who heals Mama Chia's psyche after a failed marriage?
2. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
4. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
5. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)