|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Dan listen?
(a) Waves crashing on the shore.
(b) A shark.
(d) A rescue boat or helicopter.
2. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Mama Chia Diet.
(b) The Surfboard Diet.
(c) The non-eating diet.
(d) The Stupidity Diet.
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(b) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(c) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
(d) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
4. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(b) Joy and optimism.
(c) Others searching for something, too.
5. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) George Washington.
6. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A seance.
(c) A party.
(d) A wake.
7. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
(a) Sends him back to Oahu on the surfboard.
(b) Sends him on a mystical journey.
(c) Rouses him.
(d) Sends him back to the mainland.
8. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(b) The three selves.
(c) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
(d) The way to enlightenment.
9. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He realizes he has been duped.
(b) He falls off.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He wonders about his daughter.
10. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He was suicidal.
(b) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(c) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(d) He thought he was tougher than he is.
11. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) The one who is to blame.
(b) The one who is to sustain.
(c) Magician or expert in any situation.
(d) The head honcho.
12. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
(a) When she becomes gravely ill.
(b) When she wants to reach a higher plane of ascension.
(c) When she retires.
(d) After receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan.
13. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
(a) A personal ad in the newspaper.
(b) Asking his wife.
(c) Writing back to Socrates and waiting for his answer.
(d) Going from bank to bank.
14. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A new sense of direction.
(b) A renewed sense of urgency.
(c) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
15. What is the board like that Dan finds?
(a) Like the ones the old Hawaiians used.
(b) A new slick, fiberglass board.
(c) A dented, fiberglass board that is slightly too short for his frame.
(d) He cannot find a board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cure does Ruth prescribe for Dan?
2. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
3. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
4. Where does Millman decide to go?
5. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)