|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
(b) Some healing.
(c) Contact with the local culture.
(d) A way to reconnect with his inner being.
2. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Come back in three days.
(b) Go ride a surfboard.
(c) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
(d) Go home to his wife and daughter.
3. Why does Millman become more dejected as time passes on his travels?
(a) He finds nothing that isn't available in the West in bookstores.
(b) He thinks everyone he meets is a hypocrite.
(c) He is overwhelmed by the different paths one can take to enlightment.
(d) He cannot make any lasting connections.
4. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) The head honcho.
(b) Magician or expert in any situation.
(c) The one who is to sustain.
(d) The one who is to blame.
5. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) The hot, dry season.
(b) The monsoon season.
(c) The holy season.
(d) Early summer.
6. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She is lame.
(b) She is not found in the woods.
(c) She dies.
(d) She flunks out.
7. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The modern cities.
(b) The huge numbers of people.
(c) The peace and quiet.
(d) The alternating cold and warm climate.
8. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
(a) Leaving his students.
(b) Leaving his wife.
(c) Leaving his ailing father.
(d) Leaving his daughter.
9. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) The hope of moving forward.
(b) The soul getting a running start.
(c) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(d) A waste of energy.
10. What does the conscious self become?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A wheel.
(c) An arch.
(d) A robot.
11. What does Mama Chia see as hidden gifts?
(a) Painful physical challenges she suffers as a child.
(b) The way human beings do not believe in their deaths.
(c) The unconscious.
(d) Death and rebirth.
12. For what is Molokai most known?
(a) It is the largest island.
(b) It is the forbidden island.
(c) It is a leper colony in the 1800s.
(d) It is the garden island.
13. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(b) Ruth's granddaughter.
(c) Ruth's daughter.
(d) Mitsu Fujimoto.
14. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Stupidity Diet.
(b) The Mama Chia Diet.
(c) The non-eating diet.
(d) The Surfboard Diet.
15. What has bothered Dan since the surfboard incident?
(a) The idea of death.
(b) Mama Chia's lackadaisical mannerisms.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The idea of faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan find at the end of chapter 4?
2. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
3. Who does Mama Chia meet when she is 7?
4. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
5. For whom does Mitsu yell?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)