|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the basic self become?
(a) A circle.
(b) A child.
(c) A unicorn.
(d) A star.
2. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A renewed sense of urgency.
(b) A new sense of direction.
(d) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
(a) He is comfortable in the "conventional" world and she is not.
(b) She is comfortable in the "conventional" world and he is not.
(c) She is meticulous and organized and he is sloppy.
(d) He is meticulous and organized and she is sloppy.
4. What strikes Millman by its grandeur?
(a) The Himalayas.
(b) The Purarimjes.
(c) The Taj Mahal.
(d) The Ganges River.
5. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
(a) Some healing.
(b) A way to reconnect with his inner being.
(c) Contact with the local culture.
6. Simply put, what are Dan's instructions when he gets to Makapuu Beach?
(a) Look for a special shell and listen to what is says.
(b) Walk barefoot in the surf.
(c) Find a surfboard and start paddling with the tide.
(d) Build a fire and wait.
7. Where does Millman decide to go?
(c) New York.
(d) South America.
8. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The sun.
(c) Three glowing lights.
(d) The moon.
9. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The modern cities.
(b) The peace and quiet.
(c) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(d) The huge numbers of people.
10. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
11. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) He needs to escape.
(b) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(c) He does not need any more rest.
(d) His body is using energy to recover.
12. Who is Victor?
(a) Ruth's grandson.
(b) Socrates' nephew.
(c) Ruth's brother.
(d) Ruth's godson.
13. For what is Molokai most known?
(a) It is the garden island.
(b) It is a leper colony in the 1800s.
(c) It is the largest island.
(d) It is the forbidden island.
14. What is the law of faith?
(a) The ability to do without doing.
(b) Knowing one thing but doing another.
(c) Doing one thing but knowing another.
(d) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
15. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of adventure.
(b) With a sense of anticipation.
(c) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(d) With fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
2. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
3. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
4. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
5. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)