|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fades in the author's memories as he leads a "normal" life?
(a) His memories of fighting in Viet Nam.
(b) His encounter with Socrates.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His past life as a Tibetan monk.
2. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The moon.
(b) Three glowing lights.
(d) The sun.
3. What is a fakir?
(a) A governmental authority in India.
(b) A person who demonstrates unusual abilities.
(c) Someone who fakes magic.
(d) Someone who is a leader of his spiritual group.
4. Who is Victor?
(a) Ruth's brother.
(b) Ruth's grandson.
(c) Ruth's godson.
(d) Socrates' nephew.
5. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
(a) They are imaginary but useful.
(b) They are not imaginary.
(c) They only help the spirit.
(d) They only help the physical body.
6. For whom does Mitsu yell?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Mama Chia.
(c) Mama Johnson.
(d) Mrs. Fujimoto.
7. What does Ruth say that gets Dan's attention as he is leaving the juice stand?
(a) Have a nice day.
(b) Create a nice day.
(c) Nice is the day to create.
(d) A nice day is having you.
8. For what does Dan listen?
(b) A shark.
(c) A rescue boat or helicopter.
(d) Waves crashing on the shore.
9. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
(b) Come back in three days.
(c) Go home to his wife and daughter.
(d) Go ride a surfboard.
10. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(d) Goes into a trance.
11. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(b) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(c) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(d) He was suicidal.
12. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) A professor from Stanford.
(b) A native Hawaiian man.
(c) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
(d) His wife.
13. What color does Dan's belly glow?
14. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) In places where people help themselves.
(b) With the right leverage.
(c) It is generally not effective.
(d) With the most money.
15. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
(b) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
(c) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(d) "'End before you start.'"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Chia think Dan is strong enough to do?
2. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
3. What is the major difference between the author and his wife, Linda?
4. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
5. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)