|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
2. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(a) Ruth's daughter.
(c) Ruth's granddaughter.
(d) Mitsu Fujimoto.
3. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(b) Joy and optimism.
(c) Others searching for something, too.
4. Who is Victor?
(a) Ruth's grandson.
(b) Socrates' nephew.
(c) Ruth's brother.
(d) Ruth's godson.
5. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Practices law.
(b) Sells insurance.
(c) Sells cars.
(d) Computer programmer.
6. What does Mama Chia say she did nine years ago?
(a) Help bring Sachi into the world.
(b) Gave a speech at the World Holistic Conference.
(c) Meet Socrates in India.
(d) Contacted an alien.
7. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
8. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
(b) Being in the present moment.
9. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(d) Goes into a trance.
10. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
(a) The modern cities.
(b) The alternating cold and warm climate.
(c) The peace and quiet.
(d) The huge numbers of people.
11. What returns to Dan as he is healing?
(a) A renewed sense of urgency.
(b) A sense of anger at his stupidity.
(d) A new sense of direction.
12. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(b) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(c) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(d) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
13. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) Early summer.
(b) The monsoon season.
(c) The hot, dry season.
(d) The holy season.
14. What happened that made Dan go out so foolishly unprepared?
(a) He thought Ruth would think him strong if he took nothing on the journey.
(b) He lost the second page of Ruth's note.
(c) He thought he was tougher than he is.
(d) He was suicidal.
15. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
(a) A pentagram.
(b) Leonardo da Vinci's figure of a man in a circle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A square.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
2. What is the feeling of stagnation?
3. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
4. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
5. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)