|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 44.
(b) When she is 11.
(c) When she is 7.
(d) When she is 19.
2. For what does Dan listen?
(a) A shark.
(b) Waves crashing on the shore.
(c) A rescue boat or helicopter.
3. Of what does Fuji have to let go?
(a) His dead son.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Everything he lost in a fire.
(d) His wife.
4. What do you think is the hardest thing about leaving for Millman?
(a) Leaving his wife.
(b) Leaving his ailing father.
(c) Leaving his students.
(d) Leaving his daughter.
5. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(b) His body is using energy to recover.
(c) He does not need any more rest.
(d) He needs to escape.
6. According to Socrates, how is charity most effective?
(a) With the right leverage.
(b) It is generally not effective.
(c) With the most money.
(d) In places where people help themselves.
7. What happens to a student at Oberlin despite prayers?
(a) She dies.
(b) She is lame.
(c) She is not found in the woods.
(d) She flunks out.
8. How does Dan respond when he realizes his predicament?
(a) With a sense of anticipation.
(b) With fear.
(c) By trying to contact the authorities with his cell phone.
(d) With a sense of adventure.
9. Upon what island does Dan land?
(c) The Big Island.
10. What does Mama Chia draw in the sand?
(a) Leonardo da Vinci's figure of a man in a circle.
(b) A pentagram.
(c) A square.
(d) A horse.
11. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Practices law.
(b) Sells cars.
(c) Computer programmer.
(d) Sells insurance.
12. What is the feeling of stagnation?
(a) A means of staying quiet to heal.
(b) The hope of moving forward.
(c) The soul getting a running start.
(d) A waste of energy.
13. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(b) "'End before you start.'"
(c) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
(d) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
14. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) All his money.
(c) His wife and daughter.
(d) His life.
15. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
(a) Finding a direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the law of faith?
2. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
3. What does Dan have to keep fighting off?
4. What does Millman hope to find in the few days he decides to spend in Hawaii on his way home from India?
5. For what is Molokai most known?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)