|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does she do after drawing the figure?
(c) Goes into a trance.
2. Upon what island does Dan land?
(d) The Big Island.
3. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
(a) That he is on the right track.
(b) That he has to let go.
(c) That it's his mirror self feeling that.
(d) That he isn't really feeling that.
4. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(b) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
(c) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(d) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
5. Who does Millman meet outside the last bank he visits?
(a) His wife.
(b) A native Hawaiian man.
(c) A woman in her sixties walking with a cane.
(d) A professor from Stanford.
6. What does Ruth tell Dan to do in her note?
(a) Go ride a surfboard.
(b) Go meditate for three days on top of Peli.
(c) Go home to his wife and daughter.
(d) Come back in three days.
7. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
(a) He leaves his watch on shore and it's cloudy.
(b) He is in a daze.
(c) He hit his head on the rocks when the surfboard was washed onto shore.
(d) He has never done this before.
8. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(b) He does not need any more rest.
(c) He needs to escape.
(d) His body is using energy to recover.
9. What color does Dan's belly glow?
10. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
(a) Writing back to Socrates and waiting for his answer.
(b) Asking his wife.
(c) Going from bank to bank.
(d) A personal ad in the newspaper.
11. What does the basic self become?
(a) A circle.
(b) A child.
(c) A star.
(d) A unicorn.
12. Everyone the author looks, what does he see?
(c) Joy and optimism.
(d) Others searching for something, too.
13. What is one thing the Advaita Vendanta teach?
(a) That flesh is impure.
(b) That spirit is ascendent over flesh.
(c) That life is more important than the between life.
(d) That flesh and spirit are not separate.
14. What does Dan jokingly say he'll call the diet he follows while floating on the surfboard?
(a) The Stupidity Diet.
(b) The Surfboard Diet.
(c) The non-eating diet.
(d) The Mama Chia Diet.
15. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
(a) University of Ohio.
(b) University of Georgia.
(c) Oberlin College.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mama Chia has taken Dan to the edge and points the way, what does he have to do?
2. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
3. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
4. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
5. What is one overwhelming impression Millman has of India?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)