|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama Chia say about the energies?
(a) They are not imaginary.
(b) They are imaginary but useful.
(c) They only help the spirit.
(d) They only help the physical body.
2. What is the main thing that keeps Dan looking after feeling quite discouraged?
3. What is the best definition for the Hawaiian word "kahuna?"
(a) Magician or expert in any situation.
(b) The head honcho.
(c) The one who is to blame.
(d) The one who is to sustain.
4. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
(a) When she becomes gravely ill.
(b) When she wants to reach a higher plane of ascension.
(c) After receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan.
(d) When she retires.
5. What is the law of faith?
(a) The ability to do without doing.
(b) The courage to live as though everything happens for one's highest good and learning.
(c) Doing one thing but knowing another.
(d) Knowing one thing but doing another.
6. What does Socrates say about the search for ultimate meaning?
(a) "'End before you start.'"
(b) "'Better never to begin...but once begun...better finish.'"
(c) "'Better to start whether or not you can finish.'"
(d) "'Start and see where it leads.'"
7. What is going on at the house when Dan arrives?
(a) A wake.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A party.
(d) A seance.
8. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 11.
(b) When she is 44.
(c) When she is 7.
(d) When she is 19.
9. What does the author do for a job right after graduation?
(a) Sells cars.
(b) Practices law.
(c) Sells insurance.
(d) Computer programmer.
10. What grant is Millman awarded?
(a) A travel grant.
(b) A trust grant.
(c) A stock option grant.
(d) A land deed grant.
11. What American statesman does Mama Chia quote in chapter 5?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
12. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
(a) The hot, dry season.
(b) Early summer.
(c) The holy season.
(d) The monsoon season.
13. What are the Basic Self, Conscious Self and Higher Self?
(a) A way of explaining the relationship between god and humans.
(b) The concept talked about in the secret ways.
(c) The way to enlightenment.
(d) The three selves.
14. What appears as Dan sees himself in a circle?
(a) The moon.
(b) Three glowing lights.
(d) The sun.
15. What happens as Dan contemplates the sky from the surfboard?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He wonders about his daughter.
(c) He falls off.
(d) He realizes he has been duped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
2. After Stanford, where does the author accept a teaching position?
3. Why has Dan no sense of time or bearings?
4. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
5. Where does Millman decide to go?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)