|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who heals Mama Chia's psyche after a failed marriage?
(a) Her mother.
(b) She heals herself.
(d) Her grandmother.
2. Who is Ruth Johnson?
(a) An older woman in a muumuu.
(b) The young bank teller with whom Millman has dinner.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A psychiatrist.
3. When do Mama Chia's parents die?
(a) When she is 11.
(b) When she is 7.
(c) When she is 19.
(d) When she is 44.
4. Why does Dan enjoy spending time with Sachi?
(a) She doesn't have any expectations of him.
(b) She is so funny.
(c) He misses his daughter.
(d) She is wise beyond her years.
5. What schools does Millman attend regularly?
(a) Schools of yoga.
(c) Schools about India's history and culture.
(d) Schools for learning about the flora and fauna of India.
6. What kind of juice do Ruth and Dan have to drink when they first meet?
7. What does the conscious self become?
(a) An arch.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) A wheel.
(d) A robot.
8. When does Mama Chia resume her work as midwife and kahuna?
(a) When she retires.
(b) After receiving a letter from Socrates about Dan.
(c) When she wants to reach a higher plane of ascension.
(d) When she becomes gravely ill.
9. Where does Millman decide to go?
(c) New York.
(d) South America.
10. How does the The Basic Self use pain?
(a) As a way to solve other problems.
(b) To learn faith.
(c) To learn how to let go.
(d) To get one's attention.
11. Who is having a baby in chapter 5?
(a) Ruth's granddaughter.
(b) Mitsu Fujimoto.
(c) Ruth's daughter.
12. At some point, what would Dan have traded for some water?
(a) His life.
(c) His wife and daughter.
(d) All his money.
13. Why does Dan have to rest?
(a) It's Mama Chia that needs to rest.
(b) He needs to escape.
(c) He does not need any more rest.
(d) His body is using energy to recover.
14. What does Socrates predict in a letter?
(a) That Dan will be hard on himself and excitable.
(b) That Mama Chia will not have success with Dan.
(c) That Dan will die in Hawaii.
(d) That Dan will be easy to sway to Mama Chia's ways.
15. What becomes an obsession to Dan?
(b) Finding a direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of the year does Millman arrive in Delhi?
2. What does Mama Chia do after Dan has slept for 36 hours?
3. What does Mama Chia say when Dan tells her he is drained and depressed?
4. What lesson from Socrates does the author have difficulty following in this early part of the book?
5. How does Millman finally decide to contact the woman whom Socrates mentioned?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)