Book 1, Chapters 1-3
• On his honeymoon in 1967, Dan Millman feels he has forgotten something important.
• By 1972, while teaching at Oberlin, his marriage falls apart and he flies to India.
• Dan is hoping to rediscover his "transcendent sense of freedom" in India but instead feels like a spiritual outsider.
• Laying over in Hawaii, Dan remembers the woman shaman/banker that his teacher Socrates once predicts he will meet.
• Dan takes out an ad in the personals and visits 18 banks.
• Outside one bank, Ruth Johnson asks if he is all right and invites him home.
• Dan declines Ruth's invitation until she uses Socrates' phrase, "Create a nice day."
• At Ruth's house Dan finds a party in progress and leaves.
• Ruth has slipped him his ad and directions to to go to Makapuu Beach and get on a surfboard.
• It seems like the old days.
Book 1, Chapters 4-6
• Dan finds a...
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)