|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Ship seen abandoned in Book Two?
2. Who is in love with Dinka?
3. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
4. Where is the person who notices Erasmus' ship?
5. What is Delblanc's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
2. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
3. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
4. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
5. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
6. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
7. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
8. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
9. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
10. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)