|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals share Sallian Kivee?
2. Which of the following adjectives describe Timothy Owen?
3. What frightened Paris's wife?
4. What does Sarah realize about Erasmus at the end of Book One, Part Seven?
5. What type of effect does Wolpert think that Erasmus has on Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
2. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
3. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
4. What is the Trionfi Club?
5. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
6. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
7. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
8. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
9. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
10. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 2
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)