|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Erasmus eat that is in the shape of a black woman?
2. What type of effect does Wolpert think that Erasmus has on Sarah?
3. Who meets the Company Fort Governor?
4. What does Erasmus think about during his father's funeral?
5. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
2. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
3. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
4. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
5. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
6. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
7. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
8. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
9. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
10. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)