|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following are being built constantly in Book One, Part Six?
2. Which of the following weapons kills Deakin?
3. Who does Kemp meet with in Book Two, Part Eight?
4. How does Erasmus' father die?
5. Who takes Calley back to the Ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
2. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
3. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
4. What is the Trionfi Club?
5. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
6. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
7. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
8. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
9. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
10. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 2
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)