|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
2. Which of the following does Thurso blame for the ship's problems?
3. What type of effect does Wolpert think that Erasmus has on Sarah?
4. Which of the following individuals share Sallian Kivee?
5. Which of the following is on board the ship to keep slaves from jumping overboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
2. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
3. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
4. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
5. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
6. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
7. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
8. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
9. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
10. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 2
How does Unsworth incorporate the concept of man versus self in his novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
Essay Topic 3
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)