|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves does Thurso think that he has at the end of Book One, Part Six?
2. Which of the following does the slave who refuses to eat spit on Paris' face?
3. What benefit would Thurso get for lost cargo?
4. Who offers Erasmus a job?
5. What is Delblanc's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
2. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
3. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
4. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
5. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
6. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
7. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
8. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
9. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
10. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)