|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is upset when Erasmus turns down the job?
2. Who boards the Ship as a passenger in Book One, Part Six?
3. Who does Paris join in Book Two, Part Nine, at the settlement?
4. Why are Blair and Inchebe arguing?
5. Which of the following does Thurso blame for the ship's problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
2. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
3. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
4. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
5. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
6. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
7. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
8. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
9. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
10. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 2
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)