|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the Ship when the men pass out?
2. How does Erasmus' father die?
3. Why does Erasmus turn down the job?
4. Who is a principal slave dealer?
5. What does Erasmus plan on changing about Sarah once they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
2. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
3. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
4. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
5. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
6. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
7. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
8. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
9. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
10. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 3
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)