|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Calley back to the Ship?
2. What industry does Erasmus vow to go into in order to restore his father's name?
3. Who was the first man to see the abandoned ship?
4. Who receives a letter from Thurso?
5. Who does Kemp meet with in Book Two, Part Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
2. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
3. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
6. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
7. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
8. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
9. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
10. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)