|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the slave who refuses to eat spit on Paris' face?
2. To whom does Thurso write a letter?
3. Who meets the Company Fort Governor?
4. Which of the following is Hambo accused of doing?
5. Why do so many crew members die in Book One, Part Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
4. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
5. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
6. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
7. What is the Trionfi Club?
8. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
9. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
10. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)