|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves the story in Book One, Part Five?
2. Which of the following are being built constantly in Book One, Part Six?
3. Which of the following is on board the ship to keep slaves from jumping overboard?
4. Which of the following weapons kills Deakin?
5. How many slaves does Thurso think that he has at the end of Book One, Part Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
2. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
3. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
4. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
5. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
6. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
7. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
8. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
9. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
10. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 2
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 3
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)