|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erasmus think about during his father's funeral?
2. Who boards the Ship as a passenger in Book One, Part Six?
3. Who is the first person whom Erasmus tells about his father's death?
4. Where is the dead boy who was found on the beach buried?
5. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
2. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
3. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
4. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
5. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
6. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
7. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
8. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
9. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
10. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)