|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Erasmus travel to in Book Two?
2. What does the portrait that Delblanc has painted look like?
3. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
4. Why is it hard to hear the fiddle aboard the Ship?
5. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
2. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
3. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
4. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
5. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
6. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
7. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
8. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
9. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Erasmus and Paris. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 3
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)