|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Erasmus vow to go into in order to restore his father's name?
2. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
3. Who is a principal slave dealer?
4. Which of the following is on board the ship to keep slaves from jumping overboard?
5. What did people want to steal from Paris' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
2. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
3. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
4. What is the Trionfi Club?
5. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
6. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
7. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
8. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
9. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
10. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)