|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices Erasmus' ship in Book Two, Part Nine?
2. What is the name of the slave boy whom Paris is allowed to accompany to shore?
3. Who boards the Ship as a passenger in Book One, Part Six?
4. Who receives a letter from Thurso?
5. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
2. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
3. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
6. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
7. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
8. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
9. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
10. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)