|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Kemp's death certificate list as his cause of death?
2. What does the slave boy whom Paris accompanies purchase on shore?
3. Whose body does Paris find in a shed?
4. What type of challenges are there on the Ship in Book One, Part Seven?
5. Who is a principal slave dealer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
2. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
3. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
4. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
5. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
6. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
7. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
8. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
9. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
10. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)