|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the verdict of the palaver?
2. Who meets the Company Fort Governor?
3. What did people want to steal from Paris' home?
4. Who does Paris tell about his wife's death?
5. What city does Erasmus travel to in Book Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
4. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
5. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
8. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
9. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
10. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)