|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delblanc's profession?
2. Who fights on the Ship in Book One, Part Five?
3. How does Erasmus' father die?
4. What type of challenges are there on the Ship in Book One, Part Seven?
5. Who would Erasmus be working for if he accepted the job that he was offered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
2. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
3. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
4. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
5. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
6. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
7. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
8. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
9. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
10. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Unsworth incorporate the concept of man versus self in his novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
Essay Topic 2
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)