|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book Two, with whom does Paris' son live?
2. Who does Kemp meet with in Book Two, Part Eight?
3. Which of the following is Hambo accused of doing?
4. Who fights on the Ship in Book One, Part Five?
5. Why does Erasmus marry a woman in Book Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
2. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
3. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
4. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
5. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
6. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
7. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
8. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
9. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
10. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 3
The title of Unsworth's work, Sacred Hunger, seems straightforward; yet indicates a particular significance about one concept. In your opinion, why did Unsworth select that particular title for his work? What does that title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)