|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Erasmus marry a woman in Book Two?
2. What is the sacred hunger?
3. To whom does Thurso write a letter?
4. Who leaves the story in Book One, Part Five?
5. Whose secret meeting does Erasmus attend in Book Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Trionfi Club?
2. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
3. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
6. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
7. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
8. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
9. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
10. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)