|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Erasmus vow to go into in order to restore his father's name?
2. What does Erasmus plan on changing about Sarah once they are married?
3. Who does Erasmus decide must be brought to justice?
4. Who would Erasmus be working for if he accepted the job that he was offered?
5. What is Delblanc's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
2. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
3. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
4. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
5. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
6. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
7. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
8. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
9. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
10. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)