|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group lives in the city that Erasmus goes in Book Two?
2. Which character becomes ill with fever in Book One, Part Seven?
3. Who does Paris tell about his wife's death?
4. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
5. What does Thurso write a letter about in Book One, Part Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
2. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
3. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
4. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
5. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
6. What is the Trionfi Club?
7. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
8. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
9. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
10. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)