|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who boards the Ship as a passenger in Book One, Part Six?
2. Who would Erasmus be working for if he accepted the job that he was offered?
3. Whose body does Paris find in a shed?
4. Why does Erasmus turn down the job?
5. What does Erasmus plan on changing about Sarah once they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Trionfi Club?
2. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
3. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
4. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
5. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
6. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
7. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
8. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
9. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
10. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)