|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets the Company Fort Governor?
2. To whom does Thurso write a letter?
3. Who does Paris join in Book Two, Part Nine, at the settlement?
4. What is the person who notices Erasmus' ship doing?
5. Which of the following is Hambo accused of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
2. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
3. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
4. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
5. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
6. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
7. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
8. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
9. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
10. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)