|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Thurso blame for the ship's problems?
2. Who was the first man to see the abandoned ship?
3. Which of the following adjectives describe Timothy Owen?
4. Who does Paris tell about the bodies that he finds in a shed?
5. Which of the following are being built constantly in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)