|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Delblanc's profession?
2. Whose body does Paris find in a shed?
3. Where is the person who notices Erasmus' ship?
4. Who does Kemp meet with in Book Two, Part Eight?
5. In Book Two, with whom does Paris' son live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict does Erasmus come upon in Book Two, Part Eight?
2. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
3. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
4. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
5. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
6. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
7. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
8. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
9. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
10. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 2
The title of Unsworth's work, Sacred Hunger, seems straightforward; yet indicates a particular significance about one concept. In your opinion, why did Unsworth select that particular title for his work? What does that title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Erasmus and Paris. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)