|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fitted with leg irons on the Ship?
2. Whose secret meeting does Erasmus attend in Book Two?
3. Which of the following individuals share Sallian Kivee?
4. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
5. Which of the following does Erasmus think will be the source for him and Liverpool to prosper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
2. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
3. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
4. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
5. Describe Thurso's life prior to being a ship captain.
6. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
7. Why does Mrs. Kemp deny that her husband committed suicide?
8. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
9. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
10. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)