|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Paris to be part of the ship's crew?
2. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
3. What is Paris's role on the ship?
4. What was the cause of Ruth's death?
5. What instrument does Sullivan play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
2. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
3. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
4. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
5. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
6. Why was Paris imprisoned?
7. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
8. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
9. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
10. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)