|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom of the following is not a member of the Ship's crew?
2. What takes Paris' mind off of the situation involving slaves?
3. How many workers are killed on the Ship while it is being built?
4. How does William Kemp regard his wealth?
5. According to the narrator, why does Thurso decide to have a man flogged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
2. How does the ocean affect Paris?
3. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
4. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
5. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
6. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
9. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
10. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)