|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many workers are killed on the Ship while it is being built?
2. Who announces that someone new will be directing the play?
3. To whom does Paris speak through his journal?
4. With whom is Erasmus obsessed?
5. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
2. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
3. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
4. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
5. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
6. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
7. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
8. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
9. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
10. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)