|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following theories does Paris reveal that he believes in through a letter?
2. Who is asked to quit the play?
3. Who hires a private investigator in Book One, Part Three?
4. To whom does Paris write a letter?
5. To whom does Paris speak through his journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
2. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
3. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
4. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
5. How does the ocean affect Paris?
6. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
9. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
10. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 3
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)