|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits his love for Sarah?
2. Who announces that someone new will be directing the play?
3. How old was Erasmus when Paris removed him from the dam?
4. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
5. Where is the play in Book One, Part One, rehearsed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
2. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
3. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
4. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
5. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
6. Why was Paris imprisoned?
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
9. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
10. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)