|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose blood is seen on the deck of the ship?
2. Which weapon is presented in Book One, Part Two, Chapter 14?
3. What was the cause of Ruth's death?
4. How does William Kemp regard his wealth?
5. What is a source of conflict for those responsible for building the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
2. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
3. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
4. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
5. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
6. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
7. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
8. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
9. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
10. Why was Paris imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does the time period have on Unsworth's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the Atlantic Slave Trade have on characters; and how might they be different had the story been set during a different time?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)