Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)