|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things are built in Book One, Part One, Chapter Eight?
2. Who is the captain of the ship?
3. Who does the cast not seem to like much?
4. Who is Erasmus' cousin?
5. Who is discovered to be struggling financially in Book One, Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
2. What does the reader realize about the Paradise Nigger, Luther Sawdust, in the Epilogue?
3. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
4. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
5. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
6. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
7. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
8. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
9. What is the relationship between Delblanc and Paris like in Book One, Part Six?
10. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)