|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thanks the gods in Book One, Part Four?
2. How does William Kemp regard his wealth?
3. What does Paris ask to use in Book One, Part Three, Chapter 16?
4. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
5. Who reprimands Parker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
2. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
3. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
4. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
5. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
6. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
7. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
8. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
9. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
10. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)