|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris do while the crew is busy with preparations?
2. Which character does Sarah Wolpert play?
3. With whom is Erasmus obsessed?
4. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
5. Who argues over the value of each slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
2. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
3. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
4. How has Paris' life changed between Book One and Book Two?
5. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
6. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
7. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
8. Why was Paris imprisoned?
9. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
10. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
Essay Topic 1
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Unsworth incorporate the concept of man versus self in his novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)