|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the captain of the ship?
2. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
3. Who reprimands Parker?
4. Who gives Erasmus permission to propose to Sarah?
5. How old is Luther Sawdust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
2. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
3. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
4. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
5. Why was Paris imprisoned?
6. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
7. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
8. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
9. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
10. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
Essay Topic 3
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)