|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the cast not seem to like much?
2. Which part in the play does Erasmus take?
3. Where is the final destination of the ship?
4. What two things are built in Book One, Part One, Chapter Eight?
5. What takes Paris' mind off of the situation involving slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
2. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
3. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
4. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
5. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
6. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
7. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
8. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
9. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
10. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
Essay Topic 2
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 3
The title of Unsworth's work, Sacred Hunger, seems straightforward; yet indicates a particular significance about one concept. In your opinion, why did Unsworth select that particular title for his work? What does that title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)