|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)