|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris ask to use in Book One, Part Three, Chapter 16?
2. Who reprimands Parker?
3. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
4. Who does Erasmus confront in Book One, Part Four?
5. What do Thurso and Barton plan to do when they reach shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
2. How does the ocean affect Paris?
3. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
4. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
5. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
6. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
7. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
10. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)