|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Calley end up on the Ship?
2. What is in progress when Erasmus arrives at the Wolpert residence?
3. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
4. What is the name of the ship in this story?
5. Who admits his love for Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
2. Explain the role of depression in Book One, Part Six.
3. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
4. What does the reader realize about the Paradise Nigger, Luther Sawdust, in the Epilogue?
5. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
6. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
9. What does Erasmus think about as Paris is ill and dying in Book Two, Part Nine?
10. How does Mrs. Kemp change after her husband's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the concept of an antagonist. Describe how Erasmus can be described as the antagonist, and explain what makes him fit the description. Why does Unsworth decide to include Erasmus in his book? What does he represent?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)