|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist in this story?
2. How long has Erasmus known Sarah?
3. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
4. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
5. Who does the cast not seem to like much?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
2. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
3. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
4. How does the ocean affect Paris?
5. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
6. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
7. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
8. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
9. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
10. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)