Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of irony in Unsworth's book. Identify at least one of those instances, and describe why Unsworth may have used irony when describing that particular situation.
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)