|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems satisfied by the deaths that take place on the Ship in Book One, Part One?
2. What instrument does Sullivan play?
3. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
4. What is the name of the play rehearsed in this story?
5. What was the cause of Ruth's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
2. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
3. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
4. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
5. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
6. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
7. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
8. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
9. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
10. How does the reader gain an inside perspective of the death of Paris' wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)