|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
2. How does William Kemp regard his wealth?
3. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
4. Where does the cast of the play meet due to rainy weather?
5. Who seems satisfied by the deaths that take place on the Ship in Book One, Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
3. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
4. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
5. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
6. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
7. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
8. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
9. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
10. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 3
The title of Unsworth's work, Sacred Hunger, seems straightforward; yet indicates a particular significance about one concept. In your opinion, why did Unsworth select that particular title for his work? What does that title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)