|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
2. Why does Calley end up on the Ship?
3. Why is Kemp well-respected?
4. How old is Luther Sawdust?
5. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the ocean affect Paris?
2. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
3. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
4. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
5. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
6. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
9. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
10. Why was Paris imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)