|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Blair go to a bar?
2. What is Paris's role on the ship?
3. What does Erasmus spot in the shadows when he gets lost in the city?
4. Where does Paris ask to be served his meal?
5. Who argues over the value of each slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
2. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
3. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
4. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
5. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
6. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
7. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
8. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
9. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
10. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Unsworth incorporate the concept of man versus self in his novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)