|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the cast not seem to like much?
2. Which wildlife is seen in Book One, Part Three?
3. Who thanks the gods in Book One, Part Four?
4. Who is in charge of the men who were tricked to be part of the crew?
5. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
2. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
3. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
4. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
5. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
6. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
7. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
8. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
9. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
10. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Erasmus and Paris. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 3
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)