|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signed both Paris' medical license and prison sentence?
2. Who is the protagonist in this story?
3. Who raises his hand to the boatswain?
4. What was the name of Paris' wife?
5. What are the men aboard the ship preparing for in Book One, Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
2. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
3. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
4. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
5. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
6. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
7. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
8. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
9. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
10. Why was Paris imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of Unsworth's work, Sacred Hunger, seems straightforward; yet indicates a particular significance about one concept. In your opinion, why did Unsworth select that particular title for his work? What does that title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 2
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Unsworth's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)