|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which wildlife is seen in Book One, Part Three?
2. Whom of the following is not a member of the Ship's crew?
3. What is Paris's role on the ship?
4. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
5. What does Paris eat in Book One, Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
3. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
4. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
5. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
6. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
7. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
8. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
9. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
10. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of companionship is present throughout Unsworth's novel. What can readers learn about Unsworth's characters when they are in relationship with others? Be sure to cite specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a metaphor. Describe the metaphor in the first parts of Unsworth's book used by Erasmus in relation to his feelings for Sarah and his father's death. Why does Unsworth decide to include that type of metaphor in his book?
Essay Topic 3
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)