Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
Unsworth uses a narrative point of view throughout his entire book. Why does he choose to write that way? What are the pros and cons of using that point of view in this particular story?
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
The Liverpool Merchant is a significant part of Unsworth's story. What does the ship symbolize? What similarities can you give between the Ship and characters' qualities, or the events in the book?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)