|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signed both Paris' medical license and prison sentence?
2. Who announces that someone new will be directing the play?
3. According to the narrator, why does Thurso decide to have a man flogged?
4. How old was Erasmus when Paris removed him from the dam?
5. Which of the following books reminds Paris of his past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
2. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
3. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
4. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
5. Why was Paris imprisoned?
6. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
7. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
8. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
9. How does the ocean affect Paris?
10. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 2
How does Unsworth incorporate the concept of man versus self in his novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)