|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the play in Book One, Part One, rehearsed?
2. Why is Kemp well-respected?
3. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
4. Which of the following books reminds Paris of his past?
5. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
2. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
3. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
4. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
5. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
6. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
7. Why was Paris imprisoned?
8. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
9. How does the ocean affect Paris?
10. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Unsworth uses a great deal of imagery in his book. What specific examples of imagery did Unsworth include in his book? How does that imagery add to the reader's experience of the story?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)