|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of Ruth's death?
2. What are the men aboard the ship preparing for in Book One, Part Four?
3. What is Paris's role on the ship?
4. With whom is Erasmus obsessed?
5. Who argues over the value of each slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
2. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
3. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
4. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
5. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
6. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
7. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
8. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
9. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
10. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of a foil in literature? Describe one character in Unsworth's novel that you believe is a foil of another character. Why do you think that Unsworth may have created characters in his work that emphasize each others' qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least three instances of foreshadowing in Unsworth's novel. Why would Unsworth include those instances? How would the story change if they had not been included?
Essay Topic 3
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)