|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does the Prologue take place?
2. Who argues over the value of each slave?
3. Who is the last man added to the Ship's crew?
4. With whom is Erasmus obsessed?
5. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Kemp and Saul Thurso like?
2. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
3. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
4. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
5. What does Erasmus compare to cattle in Book One, Part Four?
6. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
7. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
8. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
9. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
10. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some have identified the plot of Sacred Hunger as disjointed and confusing. Would you agree or disagree? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Erasmus and Sarah? Why do you think that Sarah becomes attached to Erasmus? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to it. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Unsworth include in his story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)