Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
How is Unsworth's story ultimately resolved? Do you think that the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
What is the tone of Sacred Hunger? Why would Unsworth choose to write the story in that type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way that the reader perceives the characters and sequence of events?
Paris experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with his wife and his printing of illegal materials. What do those flashbacks teach us about Paris? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)