|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives a letter from Thurso?
2. What does Thurso write a letter about in Book One, Part Six?
(a) His plan against Paris.
(b) His family.
(c) The horrible weather.
(d) The number of slaves aboard the Ship.
3. What benefit would Thurso get for lost cargo?
(a) Insurance payments.
(b) Tax write-off.
(c) Less people to feed.
4. Who was the first man to see the abandoned ship?
5. What does Erasmus find aboard the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thurso and the Governor discuss?
2. What is the name of the slave boy whom Paris is allowed to accompany to shore?
3. Why is it hard to hear the fiddle aboard the Ship?
4. In Book Two, with whom does Paris' son live?
5. Why does Erasmus turn down the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find Thurso's action of throwing slaves overboard surprising? Why or why not?
2. Describe how the death of Mr. Kemp is discovered.
3. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
4. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
5. Describe the story of the trees as told by Paris and Kenka.
6. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
7. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
8. How does the syntax change in Book Two, Part Nine?
9. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
10. What events lead to the disappearance of Deakin and Calley?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)