|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Ship seen abandoned in Book Two?
(d) The Carolinas.
2. Who would Erasmus be working for if he accepted the job that he was offered?
(a) The Ship.
(b) The government.
3. Which of the following is on board the ship to keep slaves from jumping overboard?
(a) A barricade.
(b) A mean dog.
(c) An electric fence.
(d) Beautiful women.
4. Who boards the Ship as a passenger in Book One, Part Six?
(b) Calley's mother.
5. Who does Paris tell about the bodies that he finds in a shed?
(a) His wife.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thurso and the Governor discuss?
2. What does the slave boy whom Paris accompanies purchase on shore?
3. Which of the following does the slave who refuses to eat spit on Paris' face?
4. Which of the following does Thurso blame for the ship's problems?
5. Who leaves the story in Book One, Part Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
2. How does Erasmus discover the ship in the swamp?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
5. How does Erasmus' relationship with Sarah change after Mr. Kemp dies?
6. What does Paris find in a shed near Timothy Owens' place? What is his reaction?
7. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
8. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
9. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
10. What sort of effect does Wolpert realize Erasmus has on Sarah?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)