|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the play in Book One, Part One, rehearsed?
(a) In an old schoolhouse.
(b) Aboard the ship.
(c) In an abandoned theater.
(d) At the Wolperts' home.
2. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
(a) Matthew Paris.
(b) His son.
(d) James Wilson.
3. What are the men aboard the ship preparing for in Book One, Part Four?
(a) The arrival of the Africans.
(b) Their departure.
(c) A card game.
(d) The weather.
4. Who announces that someone new will be directing the play?
5. Who asks Paris to be part of the ship's crew?
(a) Mr. Kemp.
(b) Mr. Wolpert.
(c) Mr. Paris.
(d) Mr. Thurso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits his love for Sarah?
2. To whom does Paris write a letter?
3. Who meets at the bottom of an old barge?
4. Who is Erasmus' cousin?
5. What is the name of the play's new director?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the fort with the impoverished town that Paris visits in Book One, Part Six.
2. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
3. Tell the story about the monkey that Cavana buys on the ship. What is the monkey's fate?
4. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
5. Describe the conference that the Creek Indians hold with the British.
6. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
7. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
8. What role does witchcraft play in this story?
9. Is Paris a likable man to most of the crew members aboard the ship? Why or why not?
10. How does the ocean affect Paris?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)