|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Erasmus known Sarah?
(a) About two years.
(b) About ten years.
(c) One week.
(d) Most of his life.
2. How old was Erasmus when Paris removed him from the dam?
3. Why does Thurso tell crew members not to beat the other men until after they leave the dock?
(a) He does not want them to fight.
(b) He has too much else to do.
(c) He does not want them to tell shore policemen about it..
(d) He does not want them to jump ship.
4. Who admits his love for Sarah?
(c) The Vicar.
5. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
(b) James Wilson.
(c) His son.
(d) Matthew Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Erasmus permission to propose to Sarah?
2. According to the narrator, why does Thurso decide to have a man flogged?
3. What is the name of the ship in this story?
4. What does Paris do while the crew is busy with preparations?
5. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
2. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
3. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
4. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
7. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
8. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
9. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
10. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)