|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
(a) The Mediterranean Sea.
(b) The Irish Sea.
(c) The Yellow Sea.
(d) The Black Sea.
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
(a) Sarah Wolpert.
(b) Erasmus Kemp.
(c) Luther Sawdust.
(d) Matthew Paris.
3. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
4. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
5. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
(a) Miss Edwards.
(c) Mr. Kemp.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the cast not seem to like much?
2. Who thanks the gods in Book One, Part Four?
3. What does Paris eat in Book One, Part 3?
4. Who arrives in Liverpool after having spent eight months at sea?
5. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
2. What problems do you foresee in the potential relationship between Erasmus and Sarah?
3. How does Paris' fair treatment of others benefit him in Book One, Part Six?
4. What decision does Erasmus make in Book One, Part Seven, following his father's death?
5. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
6. Explain "the sacred hunger". What is the narrator referring to by using that phrase?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
9. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
10. What is the Trionfi Club?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)