|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thurso tell crew members not to beat the other men until after they leave the dock?
(a) He does not want them to jump ship.
(b) He does not want them to tell shore policemen about it..
(c) He has too much else to do.
(d) He does not want them to fight.
2. Who reveals her interest in Erasmus?
(b) Mrs. Adams.
(c) Mrs. Wolpert.
(d) Ms. Kemp.
3. What was the cause of Ruth's death?
(b) Car accident.
(c) Broken heart.
4. Who finds a surgeon on board the ship unnecessary?
5. Which wildlife is seen in Book One, Part Three?
(a) Humpback whales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris ask to use in Book One, Part Three, Chapter 16?
2. What was Sawdust's father's profession?
3. What is the name of the play rehearsed in this story?
4. What was the name of Paris' wife?
5. Who almost attacks Libby in Book One, Part Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
2. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
3. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
4. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
5. What tragedy occurs while the Ship is being built?
6. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
7. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
8. Which three characters share a toast in Book One and why do they share it?
9. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
10. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)