|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the cast of the play meet due to rainy weather?
(a) A pub.
(b) The library.
(c) The ship.
(d) Sarah's bedroom.
2. How many workers are killed on the Ship while it is being built?
3. Who does Erasmus confront in Book One, Part Four?
4. Why is Kemp well-respected?
(a) Because of his personality.
(b) Because of his family.
(c) Because of his wealth.
(d) Because of his singing talent.
5. What does Erasmus spot in the shadows when he gets lost in the city?
(a) Stolen goods.
(c) A hungry family.
(d) A dying man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Erasmus permission to propose to Sarah?
2. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
3. Which of the following theories does Paris reveal that he believes in through a letter?
4. Why does Calley end up on the Ship?
5. Who is discovered to be struggling financially in Book One, Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
2. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
3. What do we learn about Paris' wife in Book One, Part One?
4. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
5. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
6. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
7. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
8. How does the ocean affect Paris?
9. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
10. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)