|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes Paris' mind off of the situation involving slaves?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) A letter from his wife.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A book about travels.
2. Who is Erasmus' cousin?
(a) Saul Thurso.
(b) Matthew Paris.
(c) Sarah Wolpert.
(d) Luther Sawdust.
3. What instrument does Sullivan play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The piano.
(c) The fiddle.
(d) The accordian.
4. Who meets at the bottom of an old barge?
(a) Members of the play's cast.
(b) Paris and his wife.
(c) Members of the crew.
(d) Sarah and Erasmus.
5. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
2. How many workers are killed on the Ship while it is being built?
3. What was Sawdust's father's profession?
4. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
5. Who is asked to quit the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
2. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
3. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
4. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
5. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
6. What types of memories does Paris frequently dwell on when he is on the ship?
7. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
8. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
9. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
10. Describe what happens in Book One, Part One, when Erasmus gets to the Wolperts' home.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)