|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following books reminds Paris of his past?
(a) Sea of Words Dictionary.
(b) Treatise on the Movement of Heart & Blood.
(c) Treasure Island.
(d) Adventures of Aubrey the Sailor.
2. Who is the last man added to the Ship's crew?
3. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
(a) Mr. Kemp.
(b) Her father.
(d) Miss Edwards.
4. Who thanks the gods in Book One, Part Four?
5. What do Thurso and Barton plan to do when they reach shore?
(a) Throw the others overboard.
(b) Buy alcohol.
(c) Abandon ship.
(d) Trade in gold dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
2. What instrument does Sullivan play?
3. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
4. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
5. To which of the following destinations will the Ship take her maiden voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kemp so motivated to convince Paris to go aboard the Ship?
2. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
3. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
4. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
5. Describe the setting for the Prologue.
6. Name two men who are convinced to join the crew of the Liverpool Merchant at the last minute.
7. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
8. What does Erasmus see in town after he gets lost?
9. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
10. What significance does the mantra "when we are married" have in Book One, Part Four?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)