|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
2. Which weapon is presented in Book One, Part Two, Chapter 14?
(a) A musket.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A bow and arrow.
(d) A whip.
3. What two things are built in Book One, Part One, Chapter Eight?
(a) Thurso's collection of books and the Ship.
(b) Erasmus' love and the Ship.
(c) Paris' confidence and his family.
(d) The Ship and Kemp's wealth.
4. Who does Erasmus say that he is going to the Wolpert home to see?
(d) Mr. Wolpert.
5. Who hires a private investigator in Book One, Part Three?
(a) Mr. Wolpert.
(b) Mr. Thurso.
(c) Mr. Kemp.
(d) Mr. Barton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thurso decide to have flogged?
2. In what sea is the Ship let loose near the beginning of her voyage?
3. Who finds a surgeon on board the ship unnecessary?
4. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
5. How old was Erasmus when Paris removed him from the dam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thurso not want his crew members to mistreat any of the men on the Ship right away?
2. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
3. How is Thurso characterized in Book One, Part Two?
4. Why does Erasmus not like Matthew Paris?
5. Describe Paris' last night on shore before boarding the Ship.
6. What does Paris' view of evolution have to do with his imprisonment?
7. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
8. How does Erasmus' role in the play reflect aspects of himself in real life?
9. How would you describe Erasmus as he is presented in the first half of the book?
10. Why was Paris imprisoned?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)