|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Liverpool Merchant arrive in Book One, Part Four?
2. What are the men aboard the ship preparing for in Book One, Part Four?
(a) The weather.
(b) The arrival of the Africans.
(c) Their departure.
(d) A card game.
3. Who hires a private investigator in Book One, Part Three?
(a) Mr. Thurso.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) Mr. Wolpert.
(d) Mr. Kemp.
4. In what city does the Prologue take place?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) St. Louis.
5. Who argues over the value of each slave?
(a) Adams and Henry.
(b) Thurso and Paris.
(c) Thurso and Yellow Henry.
(d) Paris and Kemp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Sullivan play?
2. What is the name of the character who is mentally handicapped?
3. Who is the last man added to the Ship's crew?
4. Who reveals her interest in Erasmus?
5. Who finds a surgeon on board the ship unnecessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Erasmus allowed to propose to Sarah? What happens afterward?
2. Why does Thurso have James Wilson flogged?
3. What happens between Deakin, Calley, and Libby in Book One, Part Three?
4. What good results from the slaves going aboard the ship, according to the narrator in Book One, Part Four?
5. Why is the title of the play rehearsed on the Wolpert property appropriate?
6. How does the ocean affect Paris?
7. Why was Paris imprisoned?
8. Why does Erasmus dislike Henry Adams?
9. How does Erasmus feel about Sarah Wolpert in Book One?
10. How do readers discover how Sarah feels about Erasmus?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)