|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Calley back to the Ship?
(a) Susu people.
(b) Creek people.
(c) Daniel and Paris.
2. In Book Two, with whom does Paris' son live?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(d) His uncle.
3. Which of the following adjectives describe Timothy Owen?
(a) Intimidating and outspoken.
(b) Mild-mannered and pleasant.
(c) Strong and robust.
(d) Sickly and unhappy.
4. Why does Erasmus turn down the job?
(a) Because it would require him to move.
(b) Because he wants to clear his father's debts on his own.
(c) Because he does not want to work.
(d) Because he feels embarrassed.
5. What does Thurso write a letter about in Book One, Part Six?
(a) His plan against Paris.
(b) The horrible weather.
(c) His family.
(d) The number of slaves aboard the Ship.
6. Who notices Erasmus' ship in Book Two, Part Nine?
7. Whose body does Paris find in a shed?
(a) Sarah Wolpert's.
(b) Mr. Kemp's.
(c) Yellow Henry's.
(d) Daniel Calley's.
8. What does the slave boy whom Paris accompanies purchase on shore?
(a) A monkey.
(d) A dog.
9. Who does Erasmus decide must be brought to justice?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His father.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His mother.
10. What do Thurso and the Governor discuss?
(a) The price of gold.
(b) Their families.
(c) The prices of slaves.
(d) The weather.
11. Which of the following is on board the ship to keep slaves from jumping overboard?
(a) A mean dog.
(b) An electric fence.
(c) A barricade.
(d) Beautiful women.
12. What benefit would Thurso get for lost cargo?
(a) Less people to feed.
(c) Tax write-off.
(d) Insurance payments.
13. What does Sarah realize about Erasmus at the end of Book One, Part Seven?
(a) That he loves someone else.
(b) That he really is not as handsome as she thought.
(c) That he is plotting against her.
(d) That she would have been his property.
14. What does Erasmus think about during his father's funeral?
(a) Sarah Wolpert.
(b) How his father sniffed wood of the Ship.
(c) How he would like to be a crew member on the Ship.
(d) What he will do with his life.
15. Which of the following does the slave who refuses to eat spit on Paris' face?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District?
2. Who leaves the story in Book One, Part Five?
3. What is the verdict of the palaver?
4. In Book One, Part Five, who decides to go ashore?
5. Which of the following does Erasmus think will be the source for him and Liverpool to prosper?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)