|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who fights on the Ship in Book One, Part Five?
(a) Haines and Wilson.
(b) Calley and Kemp.
(c) Barton and Thurso.
(d) Paris and Wilson.
2. Who does the crew trade with to obtain alcohol?
(a) Black men.
(c) The captain.
(d) A group of women.
3. Who is a principal slave dealer?
4. Who leaves the Ship when the men pass out?
(a) The slaves.
(b) Calley and Deakin.
5. What group lives in the city that Erasmus goes in Book Two?
(a) The Creoles.
(b) The Creek Indians.
(d) The Southern Belles.
6. Who is the first person whom Erasmus tells about his father's death?
(a) Mrs. Wolpert.
(b) Mrs. Adams.
(c) Mrs. Paris.
(d) Mrs. Kemp.
7. How does Erasmus' father die?
(a) He is killed in a duel.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is run over by a horse.
8. Why is it hard to hear the fiddle aboard the Ship?
(a) The waves are too strong.
(b) The loud parties that are constantly taking place.
(c) The rats make too much noise at night.
(d) The clanking of slaves' shackles.
9. Why does Erasmus marry a woman in Book Two?
(a) The woman is pregnant.
(b) She reminds him of Sarah.
(c) For her wealth.
(d) He wants to have children.
10. Who notices Erasmus' ship in Book Two, Part Nine?
11. Who takes Calley back to the Ship?
(a) Susu people.
(b) Creek people.
(d) Daniel and Paris.
12. What does Erasmus think about during his father's funeral?
(a) What he will do with his life.
(b) How he would like to be a crew member on the Ship.
(c) How his father sniffed wood of the Ship.
(d) Sarah Wolpert.
13. Who was the first man to see the abandoned ship?
14. Which character becomes ill with fever in Book One, Part Seven?
15. What does Thurso write a letter about in Book One, Part Six?
(a) His family.
(b) The number of slaves aboard the Ship.
(c) His plan against Paris.
(d) The horrible weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry does Erasmus vow to go into in order to restore his father's name?
2. Which of the following does Erasmus think will be the source for him and Liverpool to prosper?
3. Who does not seem affected by the disease on the Ship?
4. What benefit would Thurso get for lost cargo?
5. Why is Mrs. Kemp irritated when Erasmus gets home?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)