|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is present at every stage of the building of the ship?
(a) Saul Thurso.
(b) Matthew Paris.
(c) Erasmus Kemp.
(d) William Kemp.
2. Why does Thurso tell crew members not to beat the other men until after they leave the dock?
(a) He does not want them to jump ship.
(b) He has too much else to do.
(c) He does not want them to fight.
(d) He does not want them to tell shore policemen about it..
3. Whom of the following is not a member of the Ship's crew?
4. What is the name of the play rehearsed in this story?
(a) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) The Enchanted Island.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
5. How does William Kemp regard his wealth?
(a) As a product of hard work.
(b) As a miracle.
(c) As fleeting and temporary.
(d) As something not to be taken for granted.
6. How old is Luther Sawdust?
(a) He is middle-aged.
(b) He is a teenager.
(c) He is elderly.
(d) He is in his twenties.
7. Who is the narrator of this story?
(a) Matthew Paris.
(b) Erasmus Kemp.
(c) Luther Sawdust.
(d) Sarah Wolpert.
8. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
(b) King Henry Cook.
9. Who asks Paris to be part of the ship's crew?
(a) Mr. Thurso.
(b) Mr. Kemp.
(c) Mr. Paris.
(d) Mr. Wolpert.
10. In what city does the Prologue take place?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) St. Louis.
11. Who trails behind Erasmus and Sarah as they go for a walk?
(a) Mr. Kemp.
(b) Her father.
(d) Miss Edwards.
12. What two things are built in Book One, Part One, Chapter Eight?
(a) The Ship and Kemp's wealth.
(b) Paris' confidence and his family.
(c) Thurso's collection of books and the Ship.
(d) Erasmus' love and the Ship.
13. Where does Paris ask to be served his meal?
(a) The deck.
(b) The captain's quarters.
(c) The galley.
(d) His cabin.
14. To whom does Paris write a letter?
(a) His dead wife.
(c) The Bishop of Norwich.
(d) William Kemp.
15. Who finds a surgeon on board the ship unnecessary?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following books reminds Paris of his past?
2. Whose blood is seen on the deck of the ship?
3. In Book One, Part One, how many children does Paris have?
4. Who arrives in Liverpool after having spent eight months at sea?
5. Who does Erasmus say that he is going to the Wolpert home to see?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)