|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Paris sent to jail?
(a) He killed someone in an accident.
(b) He stole food for his family.
(c) He denied the Bible.
(d) He admitted to a crime that he did not commit.
2. Where is the play in Book One, Part One, rehearsed?
(a) At the Wolperts' home.
(b) In an old schoolhouse.
(c) In an abandoned theater.
(d) Aboard the ship.
3. Who is the last man added to the Ship's crew?
4. What is the name of the play's new director?
(a) David Williamson.
(b) John Gibbons.
(c) Lawrence Carter.
(d) Henry Adams.
5. How old must Sarah be before she can be engaged?
6. What takes Paris' mind off of the situation involving slaves?
(a) A letter from his wife.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A book about travels.
7. Who asks Paris to be part of the ship's crew?
(a) Mr. Thurso.
(b) Mr. Paris.
(c) Mr. Wolpert.
(d) Mr. Kemp.
8. Who gives Erasmus permission to propose to Sarah?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His priest.
(d) Her father.
9. Who is the protagonist in this story?
(a) Erasmus' father.
(b) Erasmus Kemp.
(c) Luther Sawdust.
(d) Matthew Paris.
10. Who is present at every stage of the building of the ship?
(a) William Kemp.
(b) Matthew Paris.
(c) Saul Thurso.
(d) Erasmus Kemp.
11. Why does Thurso tell his men not to mistreat the slaves?
(a) Because his wife has asked him to do so.
(b) Because he wants the most money possible for them.
(c) Because he feels sorry for them.
(d) Because he has become a changed man.
12. Where does Paris ask to be served his meal?
(a) The galley.
(b) The deck.
(c) The captain's quarters.
(d) His cabin.
13. Who is the narrator of this story?
(a) Erasmus Kemp.
(b) Sarah Wolpert.
(c) Matthew Paris.
(d) Luther Sawdust.
14. Who takes possible slaves aboard the ship?
(d) King Henry Cook.
15. Where is the final destination of the ship?
(b) Cape Town.
(d) The Americas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a source of conflict for those responsible for building the ship?
2. Who signed both Paris' medical license and prison sentence?
3. Who tells Daniel about his plan to escape from the ship?
4. Who raises his hand to the boatswain?
5. Who finds a surgeon on board the ship unnecessary?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)