|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lescom complain about Ruth's columns in Chapter LXX?
2. At what establishment does Katy say she would like to live in Chapter LIV?
3. Who are Betty and Gatty in Chapter XLII?
4. Who is Horace Gates?
5. What is Ruth's relationship with Mrs. Millet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What success does Ruth find in Chapter LXIV? Who is unhappy with her success?
2. What surprise do Ruth and her daughters receive in Chapter XLIII?
3. Who does Ruth find has died at the hospital for the insane?
4. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
5. What does Ruth worry about despite having found a newspaper to publish her work in Chapter LXII?
6. What does Mr. Walter tell Mr. Lewis about Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
7. What is life like for Katy living with her grandparents?
8. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
9. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
10. What happens when two of Ruth's friends come to visit in Chapter XLI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After living in poverty, Ruth is able to gain economic independence. How is she able to do this? How does this financial freedom change her life? Who helped her achieve economic independence? What does it mean for her family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Ruth Hall. What are her defining character traits? What is her background? What obstacles and struggles does she face throughout the novel? How does she treat those around her? How is she viewed by others?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)