|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once she begins working for Mr. Walter, what does Ruth NOT spend any of her time doing?
2. Who are the Skiddys?
3. Where does Ruth ask Katy to go alone in Chapter XLV?
4. What happens when Mr. Walter meets Ruth at her home for the first time?
5. What does Mrs. Waters fancy herself as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
2. What sends a shudder down Ruth's spine in Chapter LIV?
3. What surprise do Ruth and her daughters receive in Chapter XLIII?
4. What does Mrs. Millet have a conversation about with her husband in Chapter XLIV?
5. Why does the boarding house housemaid quit her job in Chapter XLVII?
6. What does Mr. Walter tell Mr. Lewis about Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
7. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
8. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
9. In Chapter LIII when Mrs. Skiddy finds her husband has not returned home from work, where does she find him?
10. Who does Chapter LXXIV focus on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Ruth Hall", Fanny Fern. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Fern's other work? Why did she write "Ruth Hall"?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth is left without money or means following the death of her husband. Describe the living conditions that Ruth and her daughters are forced to live in following Harry's death. How does the narrator describe her living accommodations? How does Ruth make money for her family?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)