|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's relationship with Mrs. Millet?
2. In Chapter XLV, what does Ruth notice about the people in her neighborhood?
3. Who does Ruth find out sent she and her daughters the surprise deliver in Chapter XVIII?
4. What happens when Mr. Walter meets Ruth at her home for the first time?
5. What publication is John Walter the editor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Millet have a conversation about with her husband in Chapter XLIV?
2. What sends a shudder down Ruth's spine in Chapter LIV?
3. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
4. What does Ruth worry about despite having found a newspaper to publish her work in Chapter LXII?
5. What success does Ruth find in Chapter LXIV? Who is unhappy with her success?
6. What is Mr. Walter's reaction when he visits Ruth for the first time?
7. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
8. Why does the boarding house housemaid quit her job in Chapter XLVII?
9. In Chapter LIII when Mrs. Skiddy finds her husband has not returned home from work, where does she find him?
10. What does Mrs. Millet allow Ruth to do every week at her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story? Describe their relationships with the protagonist, Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
After living in poverty, Ruth is able to gain economic independence. How is she able to do this? How does this financial freedom change her life? Who helped her achieve economic independence? What does it mean for her family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Ruth's character growth throughout the novel. How does she compare at the beginning of the novel and the end of the novel? What contributed to her growth as a character?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)