|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Hyacinth reveal Floy is actually his sister Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
2. What accomplishment does Ruth achieve in Chapter LXXVII?
3. Where does Ruth ask Katy to go alone in Chapter XLV?
4. Who is Horace Gates?
5. What makes Ruth's new room uncomfortable in Chapter LV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Walter tell Mr. Lewis about Ruth in Chapter LXXIX?
2. Who is Mrs. Waters and what image does she have of herself?
3. In Chapter LIII when Mrs. Skiddy finds her husband has not returned home from work, where does she find him?
4. What surprise do Ruth and her daughters receive in Chapter XLIII?
5. What does Mr. Walter talk Ruth into doing in Chapter LXXVI?
6. What happens when two of Ruth's friends come to visit in Chapter XLI?
7. What are the contents of the two fan letters Ruth reads in Chapter LXV?
8. What idea does Ruth come up with to earn a living in Chapter LVI? Who does she turn to for help?
9. Who does Ruth find has died at the hospital for the insane?
10. What two offers does Ruth receive in Chapter LXXII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Ruth Hall", Fanny Fern. What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Fern's other work? Why did she write "Ruth Hall"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Ruth Hall". Who dies in the novel? How do these deaths affect the tone of the novel? How does Ruth react to these deaths? How do the other characters react to these deaths? How do these deaths impact Ruth's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel "Ruth Hall", the Victorian era in America. How does the setting impact Ruth's choices and actions in the novel? How is Ruth confined to the social practices and rules of the time period?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)