|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ruth's two former friends refuse to stay at the boarding house in Chapter XLI?
2. Who does Ruth find out recently died in Chapter LIV?
3. Who does Ruth find out sent she and her daughters the surprise deliver in Chapter XVIII?
4. How much does a publishing house offer Ruth for the copyright to her articles?
5. In Chapter LXII, what does Ruth worry will happen before she gets her first pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ruth find has died at the hospital for the insane?
2. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
3. What does Ruth travel to City Hall to do in Chapter LI?
4. What sends a shudder down Ruth's spine in Chapter LIV?
5. What is Mr. Walter's reaction when he visits Ruth for the first time?
6. What two offers does Ruth receive in Chapter LXXII?
7. What are the contents of the two fan letters Ruth reads in Chapter LXV?
8. What is life like for Katy living with her grandparents?
9. How does Mr. Walter advise Ruth in Chapter LXXI?
10. Who is Mrs. Waters and what image does she have of herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Ruth Hall". Is family important to Ruth? How does her family treat her? Why doesn't Ruth's family help her in her time of need? Is she surprised by this?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fern's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Ruth Hall". Who dies in the novel? How do these deaths affect the tone of the novel? How does Ruth react to these deaths? How do the other characters react to these deaths? How do these deaths impact Ruth's life?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)