|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Walter chastise Mr. Lescom for in a letter in Chapter LXXI?
2. What does Mr. Lescom complain about Ruth's columns in Chapter LXX?
3. What does Mr. Walter guess when he reads Ruth's columns?
4. What publication is John Walter the editor for?
5. Who does Ruth find out recently died in Chapter LIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Katy meet after leaving her grandfather's home in Chapter XLV?
2. What happens when two of Ruth's friends come to visit in Chapter XLI?
3. Who is John Walter and what does he offer Ruth in Chapter LXVIII?
4. What does Ruth worry about despite having found a newspaper to publish her work in Chapter LXII?
5. What two offers does Ruth receive in Chapter LXXII?
6. What does Mr. Walter talk Ruth into doing in Chapter LXXVI?
7. How does Mr. Walter advise Ruth in Chapter LXXI?
8. What does Ruth travel to City Hall to do in Chapter LI?
9. What is the dinner at Mr. Ellet's home contrasted with in Chapter LXI?
10. What surprise do Ruth and her daughters receive in Chapter XLIII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the end of the novel "Ruth Hall"? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters? Is the conclusion a happy one?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Ruth Hall"? What are the elements associated with this genre? What are some other novels of this genre? What do these novels have in common with "Ruth Hall"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in "Ruth Hall". Who is in conflict with whom? What events or situations causes these conflicts? Are the major conflicts resolved? If so, how?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)